/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Human Trafficking

Pure
06-03-2006, 04:56 AM
Human Trafficking

• Though the specific definition may vary, human trafficking is universally understood as a form of slavery.

• About four million people are trafficked throughout the world each year, resulting in up to seven billion dollars annually in profits to various criminal networks.

• Many criminal groups use employment advertisements as a way to lure in women as they disguise themselves as employment agencies, travel agencies, and marriage firms. The women who are falsely informed of these employment opportunities believe that they are destined to be working as waitresses, entertainers, or barmaids overseas; little do they know that they are to be sold as commodities to overseas traffickers.

• Victims of human trafficking find themselves in unwanted positions as they are threatened, drugged, beaten, raped, sexually abused in other forms, and even killed if they have not yet been forced to commit suicide.

• Many countries around the world are involved in the international tradeoff human trafficking including Thailand, Switzerland, Japan, Germany, Israel, and the United States.

• The sex industry has been growing for many years, targeting men as the primary source of business. This growth is due to the fact that,

“When one sells a woman, they can sell her over and over and over again... It is an incredibly lucrative business.” – Crate Johnston, USAID.

• According to the Coalition Against the Trafficking of Women, 90% of women arrested for prostitution or drug-related crimes in the Kaliningrad region of Russia are infected with HIV (Fact book on Global Sexual Exploitation: Russia)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
06-03-2006, 08:45 AM
Human Trafficking is a terrible thing!
It usually exploits people who are poor and desperate in the first place, hoping for a new start and a better life!

It is a difficult thing to crack down on - but I am sure no government wants to be associated with such practices!

Thank you for this thread. I will read up more about it, and find out what can be done. :?

Peace.

Ruenz
06-03-2006, 08:57 AM
its a terrible thing i fully agree with u glo
thanks you for the post pure

KAding
06-03-2006, 11:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pure
• Many countries around the world are involved in the international tradeoff human trafficking including Thailand, Switzerland, Japan, Germany, Israel, and the United States.
That almost makes it sound as if the states are involved in the trafficking, which is obviously not true! It is a crime in both national and international law.

In general the 'direction' of the trafficking is clear, it is from poor areas to rich, usually for prostitution.

Btw, could you post a source? I'm curious where they got the statistics from, since I was under the impression it was most common within South-East Asia and towards Western Europe from the former Soviet countries.

Thanks.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
06-03-2006, 11:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
That almost makes it sound as if the states are involved in the trafficking, which is obviously not true! It is a crime in both national and international law.

In general the 'direction' of the trafficking is clear, it is from poor areas to rich, usually for prostitution.
I agree with you that the wording is subjective and almost implies that those countries are actively involved in human trafficking.
I wonder what the source is, and why those countries were names specifically?
It may be that incidents are most common there ... or detected most often ... or it could be that there is a different political agenda behind this.
Who knows? :?

Peace.

KAding
06-03-2006, 11:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I agree with you that the wording is subjective and almost implies that those countries are actively involved in human trafficking.
I wonder what the source is, and why those countries were names specifically?
Yeah, exactly. How are they 'involved'. Are they source of the trafficking? Or the target? All very confusing :hiding:.

The UN Office of Drugs and Crime has this to say about it:
http://www.unodc.org/unodc/trafficki...nts.html#facts
Over the past decade, trafficking in human beings has reached epidemic proportions. No country is immune. The search for work abroad has been fuelled by economic disparity, high unemployment and the disruption of traditional livelihoods. Traffickers face few risks and can earn huge profits by taking advantage of large numbers of potential immigrants.

Trafficking in human beings is a crime in which victims are moved from poor environments to more affluent ones, with the profits flowing in the opposite direction, a pattern often repeated at the domestic, regional and global levels. It is believed to be growing fastest in Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. In Asia, girls from villages in Nepal and Bangladesh – the majority of whom are under 18 – are sold to brothels in India for $1000. Trafficked women from Thailand and the Philippines are increasingly being joined by women from other countries in Southeast Asia. Europol estimates that the industry is now worth several billion dollars a year.

Pure
06-09-2006, 12:13 AM
oH no, I bolded the countries so that people realize that this evil happens even in western countires.. we need to open our eyes. What happens is that women from poor countries, especailly after the disasterous collapse of the Soviet Union, women are brought over thinking they will be given a great life, but they are imprisoned into the sex trade.

NJUSA
06-09-2006, 12:20 AM
Sadly, our Muslim brothers are involved in this as well. Muslim men have patronized businesses that use trafficked women and "purchased" trafficked women. We need to root this evil out of our own faith community to call for better law enforcement, especially in Muslim countries where the government turns a blind eye to trafficking, as part of ending this vile practice worldwide.

lavikor201
06-09-2006, 12:29 AM
I'm still waiting for the source that names all of those countries.....

NJUSA
06-09-2006, 12:39 AM
http://www.humantrafficking.org/
The above link contains many resources to learn about and combat human trafficking, including a recent U.S. State Dept. report on it which is consistent with other reliable sources.

lavikor201
06-09-2006, 12:41 AM
Thank you, but where is the list of those countries he told us?

And why does make it seem like it is the Goverments that support Human trafiking?

Pure
06-10-2006, 08:27 PM
I attended a presentation about Human trafficking and they gave me a handout... I typed out that handout because I am extremely concerned of the abuse of womens' right wherever it is happening :offended:

Woodrow
06-10-2006, 08:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pure
Human Trafficking

• Though the specific definition may vary, human trafficking is universally understood as a form of slavery.

• About four million people are trafficked throughout the world each year, resulting in up to seven billion dollars annually in profits to various criminal networks.

• Many criminal groups use employment advertisements as a way to lure in women as they disguise themselves as employment agencies, travel agencies, and marriage firms. The women who are falsely informed of these employment opportunities believe that they are destined to be working as waitresses, entertainers, or barmaids overseas; little do they know that they are to be sold as commodities to overseas traffickers.

• Victims of human trafficking find themselves in unwanted positions as they are threatened, drugged, beaten, raped, sexually abused in other forms, and even killed if they have not yet been forced to commit suicide.

• The sex industry has been growing for many years, targeting men as the primary source of business. This growth is due to the fact that,

“When one sells a woman, they can sell her over and over and over again... It is an incredibly lucrative business.” – Crate Johnston, USAID.

• According to the Coalition Against the Trafficking of Women, 90% of women arrested for prostitution or drug-related crimes in the Kaliningrad region of Russia are infected with HIV (Fact book on Global Sexual Exploitation: Russia)
With the exception of one word, the article is very informative and brings to light a crime that is sometimes overlooked.

I think the Article can be made a little better with this change:

People of Many countries around the world are involved in the international tradeoff human trafficking including Thailand, Switzerland, Japan, Germany, Israel, and the United States.

I doubt if the Governments of any country condone and promote it.

Immunity
06-10-2006, 09:00 PM
TEL AVIV, Israel — Human trafficking (search) is turning into a real problem in Israel, where law enforcement officials say women are bought and sold into the indentured servitude of the sex industry.

The women in question are usually from the former Soviet Union (search) and are traded by the Russian mob (search). The same Bedouins who smuggle weapons into Israel bring the women up through the Egyptian desert, oftentimes with a load of weapons.

"It's a kind of meat market. It's very brutal — most of this kind of auction," said Gadi Eshed of the Israel Police.

Thinking they are escaping the harsh conditions of home, a reported 3,000 prostitutes each year come to Israel. Their fist experience in the Holy Land is a forced march across the Egyptian desert, crossing the Israeli border through routes used to smuggle weapons and drugs.

"They have a big gun. If you not go like everybody, then maybe they kill you," said one woman.

Once across the border, the women are asked to perform various acts, then traded. When sold, police say their passports are confiscated by their owners and they're locked in brothels where they're forced to work off their $4,000 to $10,000 price tag.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,129157,00.html

Shame on them.

Vishnu
06-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Shame on them?

It is not Israel's Goverment who is doing this! Israel is spending millions arresting people who do this... In no way does Israel do anything less of trying to stop it.

The people who try to get the girls into israel are using the same routs illegal arms are getting into Terrorists groups. Through Egypt.

Immunity
06-10-2006, 09:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ganeshsikkim
It is not Israel's Goverment who is doing this! Israel is spending millions arresting people who do this... In no way does Israel do anything less of trying to stop it.
I wasnt referring to the Israeli Govt.

format_quote Originally Posted by ganeshsikkim
The people who try to get the girls into israel are using the same routs illegal arms are getting into Terrorists groups. Through Egypt.
Your point? Egypt is not forcing Israelis into human trafficking. And the girls are not from Egypt, they're from Russia.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.