/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it necessary to convert?

AvarAllahNoor
06-03-2006, 12:11 PM
I have many muslim friends and they know i'm a Sikh and my belief is Atal! (Unshaken) Only after many attempts of tryin to convert me did they give up but still we remain best friends. they are happy to talk about Sikhism and i'm happy to talk about Islam. And we compere and it's a good way of learning about the great religions

Now for those that are not aware Sikhism was started by Guru Nanak Dev Ji in India. He had Muslim followers and Hindu followers who were attracted to his preaching. Guruji went on pilgrmage to Mecca, Medina and Baghdad and Hardwar (Ganges) & Tibet

In Baghdad a shine exists and a Pir was to said of accepted Guru ji as a Fakir of Allah http://www.sikhspectrum.com/072002/images/plate8.jpg

(Below is the translation)

Behold! How a wish has been fulfilled by Holy and High Providence. That the building of Baba Nanak has been newly built with the help of seven autat (great valis).

That the happy murad of God (Baba Nanak) has started a fountain of grace issuing new water in the land. 917 Hijri

In 1916 a tablet with the following inscription was uncovered in Baghdad, "In memory of the Guru, the holy Baba Nanak, King of holy men, this monument has been raised anew with the help of the seven saints." The date on the tablet 927 Hijri corresponds to A.D. 1520-1521.

Now what i want to know is why do some Muslims try to only converse with a person with the thought of conversion? Now is this the only motive a majority of you have or is it some misguided ones?

Hope i've not offended anyone as this was not my intention.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ke Fateh

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AvarAllahNoor
06-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Anyone?

Muhammad
06-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Greetings,

Thank you for your post about Sikhism and it is nice to hear about the mutual relationship with your Muslim friends :).

format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Now what i want to know is why do some Muslims try to only converse with a person with the thought of conversion? Now is this the only motive a majority of you have or is it some misguided ones?
I don't know if that is the case, because as Muslims we are taught to be fair and kind to everyone: non-Muslim and Muslim alike. Just because a person is not thinking of converting to Islam does not mean we abandon them. This forum is an example of how people of all faiths and backgrounds are invited to discuss such issues and share their thoughts in a friendly environment.

May I also ask the meaning of your forum name please?

Thank you.

Pk_#2
06-03-2006, 01:40 PM
I was just about to ask that Q! @ bro Muhammad

Now i have nothing else to say

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AvarAllahNoor
06-03-2006, 02:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad

May I also ask the meaning of your forum name please?

Thank you.
I appreciate your response :)

As to the meaning of my username...

In the Sikh scriptures Guru Granth Sahib - It states the following

Aval Allah noor upaya, kudrat kae sabb bandae ||
Ek noor tae sab jag upjaeya, Kon bhalae ko mandae ||SGGS-1349||

In the beginning Allah brought forth His light.
From His creative power came all beings.
From One light the entire universe came forth.
So who is good and who is bad?

Hence my name. :)

Mohsin
06-04-2006, 11:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor

:sl:

Its because we believe Islam to be the absolute truth, and believe in the hereafter. The best way to be successful in the hereafter will have been by following God's commands, and we believe that to have been given by the last Prophet Muhammed PBUH. So naturally, we ourselves want heaven, and of course what we want for ourselves we want for others, so we like to give other people Islam.

We always meet with the intention for purely the sake of Allah, and think and hope to in some way bring Islam into him, and give him a greater chance of getting into heaven. By no means am i not saying if you're not a muslim that you're not going to get into heaven, thats for Allah himself to judge. Many peole are given misinformation of Islam, many people don't hear about Islam, so naturally it would be different for them, but most people know about Islam and reject it withot reason as it would mean a chnage of life, but nevertheless we should always be in the path of God trying to find his true path. Ultimately on the day of judgment if you are a muslim it means you will have followed Allah's laws, as muslims we don't believe Guru Nanek or the other Gurus were "prophets" etc, so the acts of worship haven't been prescribed from God, and thus it is man made worship in our views, and so thats why muslims like getting others to convert, so that they can worship God the way God himself has prescribed

Hope that explains, sorry if i've said anything to insult you

:w:

Abdul Fattah
06-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Well I can't speak in every muslims name. But the way I see it; the main purpose in interreligious dialoge should be to convince one another. Wel not directly. I don't think you can just "talk" someone into a religion. But the idea would be that each conversation brings the person closer to Islam and that eventually the sum total of these talks, and the knowledge they have given could make room for the person to accept Islam. Another point to raise here. It is frequently said that the only reason muslims do this is because by converting someone they would get good "points" for the afterlife. Although this is true, I don't think that is the main reason muslims have to convert people. For me the main reason is a genuine concearn with the people's afterlife that drives me to try and convert people. Does that mean there is no possibility of conversing without this hidden agenda? Wel no. Of course one could converse for difrent causes. and obviously some good may come out of that to. But from our p.o.v. any other reason you could think of would be small and vain compared to the genuine concearn about someone's afterlife. So that's why we frequently neglect these other motives and focus on the converting.

This begs the question: "Will a muslim be better of in the afterlife then a non-muslim?". Well not necesairly. In the end it will be your actions that count. And being a muslim in name doesn't garuenty you a good afterlife. Neither does being a non-muslim garantue you a bad one. But being a muslim does increase your odds significantly since it makes the path to a good afterlife easyer.

Religion guides our paths of life simular as a manual guides the use of a machine. Now when users of a machine study the machine long enough they might be able to produce a manual that helps you use that machine to some extend. However the knowledge on that machine from studying it will never reach the depths of insight that the manufacter of the machine will have on it. Therefor it seems logical to follow the manual made by the manufacturor even though the other manuals, made by users might be helpfull to some extend to.

There are many people from difrent religions who think that difrent religions might be simultaniously true and that it thus doesn't make a great difrance which one of those religion you have, as long as you follow some guidance. However the example shows why it is important to look for the most accurate religion. Yes the other manuals might be partially right, or even be based on genuine prophets. But the manuals are made by fallible human beens. And are therefor not perfect.

I hope this somewhat answers your question.

Patriot
06-05-2006, 02:18 PM
I came across the following quotes on another website for which, if true, begs me to ask you to help me understand why you are my brother.

I will assure you that I am here to learn, as a Sikh I learn each day of my life, let us all help. If anyone can explain what the following quotes mean, if not the obvious, then I would appreciate it.

Thanks

no copy-pasting from anti-islamic sites; the above has already been responded to and explained in detail here:
http://www.load-islam.com/c/rebuttals/Misquoted

Please respond quote by quote, I ask correction if any of the above is incorrect, and I will relay.

Only Allah (pbuh) can judge.

Mohsin
06-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Ok bro firstly your quotes aren't very clear, maybe you should use the quote button or at least have spaces in between the verses/hadith you don't understand.

Now before you re-write your post, first go here and check if all those allegations you have made haven't already been refuted here by Bro Ansar Commonly Misquoted Verses and Narrations

if any of them have not been refuted then post the ones that haven't and i'm sure other bro's can reply

Syed Nizam
06-05-2006, 02:32 PM
What is your source for that?

Patriot
06-05-2006, 02:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Syed Nizam
What is your source for that?

Brothers

It is an article from a writer called 'Craig Winn', whom I stumbled across on the net.

Although I believe in one God, I am not Muslim, I am a Sikh and the writings that I find by Craig dissapoint me.

OneGodOneLove ....

Looking for clarification

Jas

Mohsin
06-05-2006, 02:48 PM
It's good that you've at least come to muslims to understand the points you have difficulty in understanding. insha'allah if you read the link i posted to you it should explain most of your points. Problem is these nati-islamic authors hate islam to such an extent they'll do anything to give it a bad name, and will distort verses and narrations putting them out of context and not explaining the full set of verses preceeding the verse in question. May Allah guide them all

Patriot
06-05-2006, 02:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mohsin
Ok bro firstly your quotes aren't very clear, maybe you should use the quote button or at least have spaces in between the verses/hadith you don't understand.

Now before you re-write your post, first go here and check if all those allegations you have made haven't already been refuted here by Bro Ansar Commonly Misquoted Verses and Narrations

if any of them have not been refuted then post the ones that haven't and i'm sure other bro's can reply
WGJKK WGJKF

Brother Mohsin

I am looking to learn, this is the duty of any human being enforced by every major religeon in the world, I am looking to question anything I feel as required, as my faith condones me to do.

Please find that I have simply cut and paste my original post from the website that I found it on, I spent no time writing it, I would request my brothers to respond and explain whatever they can, as for the recommended site, I will read.

On first glance it seems that there are a lot of misonceptions about the moslem faith, especially within this generation of moslems. It seems that that site is a credit your faith.

WGJKK WGJKF

Ayesha Rana
06-05-2006, 02:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Patriot
Although I believe in one God, I am not Muslim, I am a Sikh and the writings that I find by Craig dissapoint me.

Jas
Er then how come your avatar states you as a muslim?

Mohsin
06-05-2006, 03:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Patriot
WGJKK WGJKF

Brother Mohsin

I am looking to learn, this is the duty of any human being enforced by every major religeon in the world, I am looking to question anything I feel as required, as my faith condones me to do.

Please find that I have simply cut and paste my original post from the website that I found it on, I spent no time writing it, I would request my brothers to respond and explain whatever they can, as for the recommended site, I will read.

On first glance it seems that there are a lot of misonceptions about the moslem faith, especially within this generation of moslems. It seems that that site is a credit your faith.

WGJKK WGJKF
Bro i think most of your questions are answered in that link i gave you, if you feel any haven't then feel free to post those parts you don't understand

north_malaysian
06-06-2006, 02:55 AM
When I talk about Islam to a non Muslim, I didnt have any intention to convert him/her, I just want to explain about my religion.

Woodrow
06-06-2006, 03:03 AM
I prefer the word reversion over conversion. I do not believe anone converts to Islam. We come to the understanding that we were always Muslim and for many reasons lived a different life style. When we come to the understanding we are Muslim, we revert back to what we always were.

swanlake
06-06-2006, 09:01 AM

I find that many non-muslims find the word 'reversion' offensive.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbreligion/...w=20#p36023224

KAding
06-06-2006, 04:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by swanlake

I find that many non-muslims find the word 'reversion' offensive.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbreligion/...w=20#p36023224
I personally just find it confusing. What do Muslims call a 'real' revert, someone who was Muslim, became an apostate, and then became a Muslim again?

Woodrow
06-06-2006, 04:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
I personally just find it confusing. What do Muslims call a 'real' revert, someone who was Muslim, became an apostate, and then became a Muslim again?
It is a very personal feeling between the person and God(swt). I was born in a different faith and lived a non-Muslim life. I do not believe I converted to Islam. I honestly believe I was born Muslim and that my life styles and experiences kept me from acknowledging it. When I finaly accepted Islam as being what I truly am, it was a return Home, to what I was and should have been practising, so to me I call it a reversion, not a conversion.

KAding
06-06-2006, 04:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
It is a very personal feeling between the person and God(swt). I was born in a different faith and lived a non-Muslim life. I do not believe I converted to Islam. I honestly believe I was born Muslim and that my life styles and experiences kept me from acknowledging it. When I finaly accepted Islam as being what I truly am, it was a return Home, to what I was and should have been practising, so to me I call it a reversion, not a conversion.
I understand :). I suppose most converts feel that way, whatever religion they converted too.

But you must admit it is confusing :p.

AccountDisabled
06-06-2006, 06:58 PM
In sikhism you dont convert either you coronate, its about elevating man and women to sovereign beings, I dont believe in this reversion business its just a form of egotistical rhetoric, if i was born a muslim then I would not have my foreskin intact. No, I was born to be a king.

AvarAllahNoor
06-06-2006, 07:57 PM

That's fair!

Same applies to us Sikhs, we are all here to serve God. As we all live within his Hukam (order) God does only what pleases him!

Abdul Fattah
06-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Yep I can confirm that. It's like all those feelings that you couldn't place finally make sense. And not only emotional. I'm repeatingmyself since Ialready said this in another thread. But the main reason I reverted was because I recognised the qur'an (not recognise as in heared before; but rather like: I see now; it all makes sense. Like I had this faith dormant in my body all along alhamdulillah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.