/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What does this mean?

glo
06-03-2006, 12:35 PM
This is possibly a question for my Pakistani brothers and sisters.

I have a neighbour who is a Pakistani Muslim. Her sons go to the same school as my son.
We have become quite friendly over time, although verbal communication is near impossible because she speaks next to no English. Her vocabulary consists of Farhan, Fahad, Max (our sons names), school, football, good, okay, hello and bye.
See how many sentences you can makes with those words??! :rollseyes :giggling:

Yet despite our communication struggles, when we meet in the street we stop and 'chat'.

I have noticed that when my children are with me, this lady will raise one hand to my children's cheeks, as if to stroke then, but not actually touch them.
It almost seems like a blessing.
Does anybody know if this is customary? And what exactly it means?
Thanks! :thankyou:

Blessings.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Bint Abdusattar
06-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Salaam

This action is more a sign of love for a person. I think it must be a custom from the part of Pakistan that she comes from.
I say this because the parts of Pakistan that I come from, as a sign of greetings or love for a younger person, the head is lightly stroked once.
So when she 'strokes' your children's cheeks, it is a way of saying hello or showing love.

Hope this answers your question.

Salaam

chacha_jalebi
06-03-2006, 08:44 PM
raise hand 2 cheek OMG is she tryin 2 slap em? either dat or she is jus bein nice & its kind of a way 2 say awww ur cute :D

yup nothin 2 do wit religion

Umar001
06-03-2006, 08:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
raise hand 2 cheek OMG is she tryin 2 slap em?
When I first read that, I read raised hand to the cheek lol I was getting worried.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
06-03-2006, 09:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
raise hand 2 cheek OMG is she tryin 2 slap em? either dat or she is jus bein nice & its kind of a way 2 say awww ur cute :D

yup nothin 2 do wit religion
Teehee ... no, she's definitely not trying to slap them! ;D

I just wonder whether she wants to stroke their cheeks, but doesn't want to offend and therefore just gestures as if she was going to. :?

It's so frustrating trying to communicate with somebody, when you are having to guess the meaning half the time. :confused:

Peace.

Umar001
06-03-2006, 09:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Teehee ... no, she's definitely not trying to slap them! ;D

I just wonder whether she wants to stroke their cheeks, but doesn't want to offend and therefore just gestures as if she was going to. :?

It's so frustrating trying to communicate with somebody, when you are having to guess the meaning half the time. :confused:

Peace.

Trust I know the feeling I used to work in a place where it was basically face to face communication and you get the odd person who didnt know a word of English and I would be like asking them something and they would reply to me in their language and we wouldnt get no where, so it was kinda fastruating, that is why some people get annoyed at people who dont learn the countries language but for some its very hard specially if they are old, another blessing from G-d that mosrt of us take granted. :X

Pk_#2
06-03-2006, 10:10 PM
it's a girl thing meaning 'Awwww bleshhh your so adorable kidda'

But....not too xtreme therefore keeping distance and not touching the child

I think..

Umar001
06-03-2006, 10:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tasmiyah_B
it's a girl thing meaning 'Awwww bleshhh your so adorable kidda'

But....not too xtreme therefore keeping distance and not touching the child

I think..

You mean you do that too?

I aint heard of stroking the air near someone's face.

Pk_#2
06-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Yup...

'awwwww my baby bro Isa'

see?

Pk_#2
06-03-2006, 10:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah

I aint heard of stroking the air near someone's face.
Urgh...you mean you actually touch em? yuckay!! get away!!..i fink i'll stick with the air...you duno where children play these days..

Umar001
06-03-2006, 10:16 PM
You replied in two different posts!

Tryna divide and conqure me hey! hmm.

ANyhow dont go off topic! Else Imma get told off

Pk_#2
06-03-2006, 10:21 PM
Am quick :) and yeah back to topic Mr.Bro!

Umar001
06-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Am quick :) and yeah back to topic Mr.Bro!

You aint quick enough to stay on topic though :giggling: :giggling:

ANd glo sorry to ask but do you mean Farhan and Fahad are your two sons names? or were u saying those to and Max?

Pk_#2
06-03-2006, 10:25 PM
I think the other two names are the names of the other women children ...they sound arabic...and they are cute names mashaAllah

Umar001
06-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Thats what I thought but glo wrote (sons) so more than one son.

Pk_#2
06-03-2006, 10:29 PM
seen...ok we'll wait for her answer... :)

Umar001
06-03-2006, 10:30 PM

Insh'allah, would be cool if thats their names though.

Pk_#2
06-03-2006, 10:33 PM
yeah true...Most non-muslims like arabic names and name them with good meaningful names...recently i've heard non-muslims naming there child Aliya

Umar001
06-03-2006, 10:35 PM
Yea I hear alot of Jamaicans call their kids Aisha round here

Pk_#2
06-03-2006, 10:37 PM
That's what i was getting at

Good init?

Umar001
06-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Yea its cool but I dont want loose kids running around with muslim names.

Pk_#2
06-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Maybe it's a way .....ya know....slowly the world will be full of Muslims...this must be a starting point...i guess

Umar001
06-03-2006, 10:42 PM
You mean have mustafas and Mohammeds runing around chating girls up?

hardly represting islam or muslims

Pk_#2
06-03-2006, 10:43 PM
ok maybe not :( was only a suggestion Mr.Einstein

glo
06-04-2006, 07:38 AM
Wait for my answer?
Ermm ... what's the question?

You guys have butchered this thread! :giggling:
I have read through it and I must say I haven't go a clue what's going on any more. :?

So repeat the question and I'll answer. :)

Peace.

glo
06-04-2006, 08:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
You aint quick enough to stay on topic though :giggling: :giggling:

ANd glo sorry to ask but do you mean Farhan and Fahad are your two sons names? or were u saying those to and Max?
I think I found the question I was looking for.

No, Farhan and Fahad are the Muslim boys. My children are called Anna and Max. :)

Peace.

glo
06-04-2006, 08:13 AM
Urgh...you mean you actually touch em? yuckay!! get away!!..i fink i'll stick with the air...you duno where children play these days..
I'm not sure if you are joking or not.
Could this woman really think my children aren't 'clean' enough to touch? :uhwhat

Another thing is that she uses her left hand, and my husband seems to think that using the left hand to touch somebody in Islam is like an insult. Is that true??? :eek:

Looking forward to your reply.

Peace.

Tania
06-04-2006, 08:22 AM
Could this woman really think my children aren't 'clean' enough to touch? :uhwhat

Another thing is that she uses her left hand, and my husband seems to think that using the left hand to touch somebody in Islam is like an insult. Is that true??? :eek:

Peace.
May be she is left handed:) You don't need to think at something bad, insults. The pakistani women love the children and they always have large families. Even the relative numbers is quite big.
I know only the muslim avoid to use left hand when they are eating because this hand its use to clean themself.

glo
06-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Things have gone very quiet since I mentioned this:
Another thing is that she uses her left hand, and my husband seems to think that using the left hand to touch somebody in Islam is like an insult. Is that true???
Can people give me their views on this?
Much as I appreciate Mara's reply, it would be good to hear from Muslims too.

Peace.

Pk_#2
06-07-2006, 03:19 PM

Peace.
Sowi sista, i was joking!! i never speak seriously...only occasionally, i dnt think it's because they arn't clean enuff...das jus silly :omg:

Skillganon
06-07-2006, 03:23 PM
This is possibly a question for my Pakistani brothers and sisters.

I have a neighbour who is a Pakistani Muslim. Her sons go to the same school as my son.
We have become quite friendly over time, although verbal communication is near impossible because she speaks next to no English. Her vocabulary consists of Farhan, Fahad, Max (our sons names), school, football, good, okay, hello and bye.
See how many sentences you can makes with those words??! :rollseyes :giggling:

Yet despite our communication struggles, when we meet in the street we stop and 'chat'.

I have noticed that when my children are with me, this lady will raise one hand to my children's cheeks, as if to stroke then, but not actually touch them.
It almost seems like a blessing.
Does anybody know if this is customary? And what exactly it means?
Thanks! :thankyou:

Blessings.
I have no Idea, even though most will call me paki, wheter I am from pakistan or not.

It maybe mean's I wish I had a children like that, but dare I touch their cheek incase they take offense.

glo
06-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Sowi sista, i was joking!! i never speak seriously...only occasionally, ...
Now I know!! :giggling: :giggling:

But what about this 'left-hand-thing'?
Is there any truth is it? Touching somebody with your left hand being offensive? :?

Peace.

Pk_#2
06-07-2006, 03:30 PM
I don't really get that left hand thing ima try the internet and serach for answers later but my sis wants the pc!!

Laters Glo tc :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!