/* */

PDA

View Full Version : When and how did you give up Music?

Barzakh
06-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Alhumdulilah for me its been 10 months since I gave up music. The transition has not been so bad considering i really used to be in to music once upon a time. I try to listen to nasheeds every now and then but havent really found too many that I like. One thing is for sure though there is a definite difference i have felt in my life ever since I quit. Music seems to amplify and exagerate situations in your life to ridiculous proportions sometimes making it that much more harder to deal with, Alhumdulilah i've found my life to be much more drama free ever since I quit. I was wondering if more ppl had similar stories to share.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
x Maz x
06-04-2006, 09:55 AM
When? Well when I reverted back to my good ways Alhamdilullah:statisfie..I started realising that it was bad a couple of years ago but Astaghfirullah didnt really take heed :hiding: Sumin i regret alot but as erm i kinda loved my rap/hop-hop/r'n'b and erm the lyrics say enough right? well Yeh and all they really talked about is gun culture/sex/drugs/violence and had no real meaning behind it so it was inevitable in a way i would open ma eyes and stop listening to it cause when you think bout the lyrics well 'nuff said!...Listenin to lectures and reading through articles Wallahi made meh see how bad it was...There were occassions in the last year that I return to ma nawty ways but Alhamdilullah I got over it now ...I hope i didnt speak to soon :rollseyes
:embarrass

:statisfie ...Must say its been a rocky journey getting there but Alhamdilullah I made it Wohooo! Now inshAllah next task is giving dawah to peeps about it, erm recoverd music addict speakin LOL...K thats jus tacky :rollseyes

Okey dokey kareoky WalaykumAsalaam x

mohamedislam
06-04-2006, 11:40 AM
music clouds your iman and i never really listen to it. my parents don't let me and i'm glad about that because many music albums have naked women in it. it is haraam. well done for giving it because i know it's not easy. Mashaallah

Angel
06-04-2006, 04:32 PM
me wel my friend always listens to it and i sometimes listen wit them no actually used to listen wit them now i try 2 tel em dat music is not good and dat dey should listen 2 nasheed one of them listens wit me 2 nasheed now but da rest stil listen 2 normal haram music but of corse i cant tel them to listen 2 nasheed dey are not muslims:hiding: i ahvent got much muslim friends cuz we live in non- muslim area so most of my friends are not muslims but dey r not horrible now dey understand me y i dont listen wit them 2 music and dey dont try 2 persuade me alhamdulilah :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ghazi
06-04-2006, 04:40 PM
:sl:

Music is silly you don't benifit you just gain sin.

seek.learn
06-04-2006, 04:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Barzakh
Music seems to amplify and exagerate situations in your life to ridiculous proportions sometimes making it that much more harder to deal with...
Salaam o alaikum,

That is so true.
Alhamdulillah, left music two years back. The first year wasnt perfect, but now, I actually cant stand it for too long (when outside the house).

May Allah guide us all and forgive us our sins. Aameen.

Alaikum Salaam

Umar001
06-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Personally been wierd, I left it then when back to it then left it then back.

Prolly because of the differences of opinion on it wasnt as set upon leaving it.

afriend
06-04-2006, 05:07 PM
I was a real fool a few months after last year Ramadhaan...I think in December, or November, when my Grandparents left the country, I really felt, kind of depressed. So then the only thing I could do was turn to Allah, and it worked, I finally left my evil and m wrong acts, not just music, but a lot of other things too :thumbs_up

Do not despair of the mercy of your Lord :wub:

Angel
06-04-2006, 05:21 PM
da best of us can be fools al we can do is turn 2 allah and ask for his forgiveness and mercy and try 2 mend our ways and go on da straight path

i was a fool too beforebut now i mended my way an ask for allah's mercy and forgivenesss and i dont intend 2 go bak 2 my ways no matter wat iam out of da darkness and i am glad alhamdulilah :)

Woodrow
06-04-2006, 05:29 PM
I never had to give it up. It gave me up years ago.

Severe hearing loss, have not been able to hear musical tones for nearly 30 years. Live in a mono-tone world. I can not tell if a music instruement is being played or if somebody dropped a stack of dishes.

Second thought maybe I don't have a hearing problem and that is actually what music is these days.

julie sarri
06-04-2006, 05:44 PM
:sl: i would lisern to music all day every day from the age of 13 i was a very depressed teenager i had a lot of problems back then anyway when i reverted to islam i gave up i was worried it would be hard but it was easy with the help of allah swt alhamduilillah i dont even lisern to nasheeds i feel much better in my self:w:

Al-Hanbali
06-04-2006, 05:52 PM
alhumdullilah allah guides who he wants to the straight path

Hussein radi
06-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Quran is much better then Music. Here is my favorite Sura

http://download.al-islaam.com/audiov...jibrien/02.mp3

hinda
06-04-2006, 06:22 PM
alhamdulilah, i gave it up 3 years, but still have problems convincing my sisters but inshallah they'll realise it.
congratulations to all of u, i knw its.

SirZubair
06-04-2006, 06:52 PM
I gave up last year during ramadan,then a couple of months later i started listening to it again.

As for Nickelback song goes....

Someday,
somehow,
im gonna make it alright,
but maybe not right now,
i know you're wondering when..

;D

glo
06-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Wow!
For me as a non-Muslim it's a very stange concept, not ever to listen to music!

Don't get me wrong, I understand what Islamic teaching says about it.
It's just, that to me the concept is totally alien. :?

Peace. :)

Halima
06-04-2006, 11:26 PM

Well, it's extremely hard the first time, but when you keep yourself preoccupied with other things..then insha'Allah..you'll eventually forget about music.

Also, if you listen to music, it clouds the mind.

I listen to recitings instead.

:w:

Bint Abdusattar
06-04-2006, 11:31 PM

I gave up music when i left home to study islam. I had reached Surah Isra in the Qu'ran and was studying verses numbers 61 to 64 (for which we had extended tafseer expaining what the voice of satan is)- I immediately instructed my family to get rid of all my CDs ( approx. 300 of them).

I firmly believe that to get rid of something in your life - especially something like music - you need a replacement. My repalcement was listening to recitation of the Qur'an by different Qaris.

snakelegs
06-04-2006, 11:35 PM
like glo i find this a very strange concept.
especially so because music is one of the things (the other being all the miracles in nature) that connects me to god.
funny thing is that i pretty much only listen to religious music - qawwali (sufi music from pakistan and india). i've haven't listened to popular music since i was a kid. (long, long ago).

Sohrab
06-04-2006, 11:57 PM
I always loved Music and Dancing. But about 7 years ago, I started a serious effort to quit it...then for about 3 years it was really not working for me...then again i tried to stop...couldn't really for another two years. God is certainly mysterious...one day i got myself an mp3 player to listen to music...dunno, may be Allah liked my effort, he gave me the push (tofeeq)...and the mp3 player was never used for music at all. Instead i started listening to quran recitations, speeches, debates and so many other constructive audio, it literally transformed my life. Plus I had other benefits too...I realized that my ability to memorize and understand the quran and hadith increased dramatically...My arabic was getting better...Instead of humming songs etc, i would hum quranic verses, nasheeds etc...My perspective of life broadened so much...Increase in General and Islamic Knowledge and so many other benefits, mashAllah.

For a Long time i believed in the saying that Music is the food for soul. I realized it's not actually food for the soul...it's food for the Nafs (the devil inside). Music is like smoking...passive smoking can be as dangerous as actively smoking. In many ways it holds true for music too. Quran is actually the food for soul (rooh), medicine for the diseases of the character, remembrance, guidance and blessing for Momineen. And Quran is the symbol of Allah's blessing and graciousness , and Quran is something we should be cheering about, it's better than what others are accumulating.

"the beauty of one's islam is that he/she would give up every meaningless/useless activity" (al Hadith)

May Allah give us all tofeeq to give up Music. Ameen

musicman
06-06-2006, 02:57 AM
Salam alaikum bros and sisters find me one place in the Quran that says directly that "music is haram"

Looking4Peace
06-06-2006, 03:04 AM
^o) I think most popular music would be haram if it talks about obvious things that are bad, but to say all music is haram, there isnt much proof for that and even many scholars cannot agree on this topic

BlissfullyJaded
06-06-2006, 03:30 AM

Just a thing to mention... Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala) concealed this part about you from us, and He has guided you. Alhamdulillah. So should you be stating your sins publicly? Isn't that revealing of sins?

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “All of my ummah will be fine except for those who commit sin openly, and that includes cases where Allaah conceals a person’s sin, but the following morning he exposes himself and says, ‘O So and so, I did such and such last night, so he shamelessly exposes himself when all night his Lord had concealed his sin.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5949; Muslim, 2744).

And the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah will draw the believer close and screen him and will say, ‘Do you admit such and such sin, do you admit such and such sin?’
and he will say, ‘Yes, O Lord.’
Then when he has admitted his sins and thinks that he is doomed, [Allaah] will say, ‘I concealed them for you in the world and I forgive you for them this Day.’ Then he will be given the book of his good deeds.

But as for the kaafir and the hypocrite, “the witnesses will say, “These are the ones who lied against their Lord!” No doubt! the Curse of Allaah is on the Zaalimoon (polytheists, wrongdoers, oppressors)’ [Hood 11:18 – interpretation of the meaning]” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2441. )

Allahu a'lam

Inshallah
06-06-2006, 03:36 AM
I am also trying to stop 2 but whenever i go out with my cousins there always playing music in the car. I am still a movie addict but i have cut down half the movies i use to watch. It's not that easy i live with so many cousins around me that are heavily influenced by music and watching movies but i try my best to stay away from it.

musicman
06-06-2006, 03:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Labibah

Just a thing to mention... Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala) concealed this part about you from us, and He has guided you. Alhamdulillah. So should you be stating your sins publicly? Isn't that revealing of sins?

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “All of my ummah will be fine except for those who commit sin openly, and that includes cases where Allaah conceals a person’s sin, but the following morning he exposes himself and says, ‘O So and so, I did such and such last night, so he shamelessly exposes himself when all night his Lord had concealed his sin.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5949; Muslim, 2744).

And the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah will draw the believer close and screen him and will say, ‘Do you admit such and such sin, do you admit such and such sin?’
and he will say, ‘Yes, O Lord.’
Then when he has admitted his sins and thinks that he is doomed, [Allaah] will say, ‘I concealed them for you in the world and I forgive you for them this Day.’ Then he will be given the book of his good deeds.

But as for the kaafir and the hypocrite, “the witnesses will say, “These are the ones who lied against their Lord!” No doubt! the Curse of Allaah is on the Zaalimoon (polytheists, wrongdoers, oppressors)’ [Hood 11:18 – interpretation of the meaning]” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2441. )

Allahu a'lam
I said from the Quran not Hadeeth, Quran is our first Hadeeth.

Looking4Peace
06-06-2006, 03:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by musicman
so a Quran only one :giggling:

BlissfullyJaded
06-06-2006, 03:54 AM

Firstly, I wasn't replying to your post. My post was a general reminder to all members. Did anything in my post say whether music is or is not haram? Read it again.

Secondly, we don't only derive our guidance from the Quran. We also refer to the hadith. I understand that the Quran is first and foremost, but the hadith is also relied on.

Thirdly, there is topic here regarding Music in Islam.
http://www.islamicboard.com/depth-is...an-sunnah.html

musicman
06-06-2006, 03:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crystal4Peace
so a Quran only one :giggling:
So you beleive the Quran is not a complete book?

musicman
06-06-2006, 03:59 AM
So you beleive the Quran is not a complete book?

Wow I dont know why so many many muslims are blinded by things that are not written by God.

Looking4Peace
06-06-2006, 04:00 AM
I did and still do in some sense until people kept saying i had to read the hadith too, and i got to a point i was like quran only for me, but then i went back to the hadith, im a revert so i went through confusions, but i try to follow best i can as being 7 months into it.

Barzakh
06-06-2006, 04:19 AM
Such as?

Such as?
I'm sorry that was for musicman, you said they are blinded by things?

Looking4Peace
06-06-2006, 05:28 AM
hes arguing against the hadith i would assume.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-06-2006, 05:38 AM
Salam alaikum bros and sisters find me one place in the Quran that says directly that "music is haram"

Perhaps you should read this, in its entirety and then come back and prove to us that Music is NOT haram. I would love to hear your arguement.

Looking4Peace
06-06-2006, 05:46 AM
this topic can be debated until everyones tongue falls off, isnt there like 100 threads already on this topic that went nowhere? Best to ask a scholar or something.

Khaldun
06-06-2006, 12:57 PM

Find me one place in the Quran where it shows us how to pray.

Hijaabi22
06-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Alhumdulilah for me its been 10 months since I gave up music. The transition has not been so bad considering i really used to be in to music once upon a time. I try to listen to nasheeds every now and then but havent really found too many that I like. One thing is for sure though there is a definite difference i have felt in my life ever since I quit. Music seems to amplify and exagerate situations in your life to ridiculous proportions sometimes making it that much more harder to deal with, Alhumdulilah i've found my life to be much more drama free ever since I quit. I was wondering if more ppl had similar stories to share.
ok well me well i used to be a mad music fan, always pumpin it 24/7...that was until one day my dad came home wid sum tickets to sum 'nasheed concert'' i hadne a clue hu any of the artists were or wat a nasheed even was....but appreantly SAMI YUSUF was cumin (i didnt know hu the dude was then nor did i care)..anyway my mate a big fan of nasheeds wudnt stop goin on bout it....sooooooooo i wanted to go see wat all the fuss was about.....and boy was that a life changin(ok im exageeratin a little) nyt....i had such an amazin amazin nyt i thought sami yusuf was ab fab!!!! he was awwwwwwwwesome he really was!! anyweays i went home got his album and from then on i got as many nasheed tapes as possible....and i reduced the amount of haraam music i listened 2...i have phases wer i can go months opn end widout lisnin to harraaam muzic and other tyms i get bak in2 my old habits but alhamdulillah i try now to listen 2 nasheeds morea and wats worse is dat they too are APPARENTLY HARAAM!! U CANT WIN!!

Hijaabi22
06-06-2006, 02:09 PM
yeah and most of them do use instruments

Ayesha Rana
06-06-2006, 02:21 PM
You sound like the woman who went to a scholar and likewise asked him to find her one place in the Quran where it said eyebrow plucking was haram.
the answer was, that in the Qur'an we are told to follow and obey Allah's messenger. How can we do this without the hadith and sunnah?:rollseyes

And as ghurabaa2000 stated in an earlier post elsewhere,
Rasulullah [Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam] states, ‘A group of my Ummah will drink wine calling it by other than its real name. merry will be made for them through the playing of musical instruments and by the singing of females. Allah will cleave the earth under them and turn them into apes and swines.’

Like i said earlier majority of the salaf said music is haram e.g Abu Hanifa, Imam Malik, Shafi'i, Ahmed bin hanbal, Ibn Taymiyyah, Ibn Kathir, so many more

What you gonna do bro? Refuse Allah's messenger.
When we recite the shahada we say, "I declare that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad (saw) is the Messenger of Allah."
If you accept he is the Messenger then you've got to accept his Message.:rollseyes

Ayesha Rana
06-06-2006, 02:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Wow!
For me as a non-Muslim it's a very stange concept, not ever to listen to music!

Don't get me wrong, I understand what Islamic teaching says about it.
It's just, that to me the concept is totally alien. :?

Peace. :)
It is said that we cannot truly love the Qur'an and music at the same time. Qur'an and music have a battle in our hearts untill one of them is pushed out. As muslims the Qur'an should remain within us so I guess it's bye-bye music.

Daffodil
06-06-2006, 02:37 PM
I always loved Music and Dancing. But about 7 years ago, I started a serious effort to quit it...then for about 3 years it was really not working for me...then again i tried to stop...couldn't really for another two years. God is certainly mysterious...one day i got myself an mp3 player to listen to music...dunno, may be Allah liked my effort, he gave me the push (tofeeq)...and the mp3 player was never used for music at all. Instead i started listening to quran recitations, speeches, debates and so many other constructive audio, it literally transformed my life. Plus I had other benefits too...I realized that my ability to memorize and understand the quran and hadith increased dramatically...My arabic was getting better...Instead of humming songs etc, i would hum quranic verses, nasheeds etc...My perspective of life broadened so much...Increase in General and Islamic Knowledge and so many other benefits, mashAllah.

For a Long time i believed in the saying that Music is the food for soul. I realized it's not actually food for the soul...it's food for the Nafs (the devil inside). Music is like smoking...passive smoking can be as dangerous as actively smoking. In many ways it holds true for music too. Quran is actually the food for soul (rooh), medicine for the diseases of the character, remembrance, guidance and blessing for Momineen. And Quran is the symbol of Allah's blessing and graciousness , and Quran is something we should be cheering about, it's better than what others are accumulating.

"the beauty of one's islam is that he/she would give up every meaningless/useless activity" (al Hadith)

May Allah give us all tofeeq to give up Music. Ameen
Asalamulaikum

Alhumdulillah I cudnt have put that better my self. wikid post.

Music is a distraction, have u often found ur self humming a tune without even thinking about it, have u ever had those days where u just cudnt get a tune out of ur head, i often have "if u like a lot of chocolate on ur biscuit join the club" tune stuck in my head and that annoys the crap out of me. even in namaz sometimes a tune can pop into my head n is a big huge massive cause of distraction.

you cant say music isnt addictive because it is, for those of u who still listen to music n the non muslims who cant understand why its banned in islam, ask ur self, or better yet try n stay without music for a month, u cant, u wnt be able to because its a part of ur life, n for some a huge massive part that u "cant live without" when ur angry u "need" to let some of that anger and frustration out so u blast some music, n wen u "need" relaxing u listen to music that soothes u. all this takes us away from the rememberence of Allah swt. instead of blasting a tune to soothe our anger the prophet saw has given us ways to overcome our temporary maddness, etc.

music is a distraction as well as a waste of money as well as a hollow moment.

music to me is like satans whispers. its like hes whispering my ears saying "come to me".

music and tv i think is the most hardest thing to giv up when starting to practice. but when uve stopped ur mind is free, ur mind doesnt feel cluttered or clouded. u can hear ur self think finaly, music is like a drug for those who cant live without it.

Ayesha Rana
06-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Yeah. And the words are gross. The prophet (saw) said that he would prefer us to fill our body with pus than all that junky jahiliyah poetry.

Sohrab
06-06-2006, 02:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
Asalamulaikum

Alhumdulillah I cudnt have put that better my self. wikid post.

Music is a distraction, have u often found ur self humming a tune without even thinking about it, have u ever had those days where u just cudnt get a tune out of ur head, i often have "if u like a lot of chocolate on ur biscuit join the club" tune stuck in my head and that annoys the crap out of me. even in namaz sometimes a tune can pop into my head n is a big huge massive cause of distraction.

you cant say music isnt addictive because it is, for those of u who still listen to music n the non muslims who cant understand why its banned in islam, ask ur self, or better yet try n stay without music for a month, u cant, u wnt be able to because its a part of ur life, n for some a huge massive part that u "cant live without" when ur angry u "need" to let some of that anger and frustration out so u blast some music, n wen u "need" relaxing u listen to music that soothes u. all this takes us away from the rememberence of Allah swt. instead of blasting a tune to soothe our anger the prophet saw has given us ways to overcome our temporary maddness, etc.

music is a distraction as well as a waste of money as well as a hollow moment.

music to me is like satans whispers. its like hes whispering my ears saying "come to me".

music and tv i think is the most hardest thing to giv up when starting to practice. but when uve stopped ur mind is free, ur mind doesnt feel cluttered or clouded. u can hear ur self think finaly, music is like a drug for those who cant live without it.

Alhamdulillah allazee hadaana li haaza, wa maa kunna linah tadiya lao laa hada nAllah.

Praise to Allah, who is the one who guided us to this (blessing), and we couldn't have made it ourselves had Allah not guided us.

muslim_friend
06-06-2006, 03:03 PM

I wasn't addicted to music. but i always turned to music to relax myself. Must be a year or so since i stopped. I thought there was nothing wrong it.. "Hey, would Allah put me in hell for listening to rap? that's ridiculous".. this was my thinking at that time. I liked rap and rock music a lot. but whenever i listened to them, i used to feel sad and guilty, very guilty.. i simply couldn't explain why.the songs were nice and good music, but still i wasn't happy at all.

Then one day my friend, a christian invited me to a gospel concert, where they played christian songs. ok, let's have some fun i thought and without informing my parents, i went with him.. there i saw groups playing all sorts of music.. rock, rap.. everything. i couldn't yet understand why christians use music to worship, and then i took a look at the people next to me.. They looked like they were drunk, like on drugs!! My God.. what the hell is this? That made me think.. it became obvious to me that satan uses music as a tool.

I stopped listening to music later, the trip to the concert was like a wake up call.. but i was restless, i needed an alternative. I am proud.. because satan urged me so many times to listen to haraam music during that time and i refused. then one day, my mom brought home a cd by Yusuf Islam and friends. i had never known about nasheeds at that time. i listened to "road to madinah", a very beautiful song. For the first time in so many years, i had felt happy after listening to a song.. the song was beautiful.. the story of the Prophet's emigration.. the people of madinah.. simply awesome..

i still listen to nasheeds now and then, i use it for dhikr. then i turned to Qur'an..

Ayesha Rana
06-06-2006, 03:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslim_friend

i still listen to nasheeds now and then, i use it for dhikr. then i turned to Qur'an..
You went the right way Bro. Alhamdu lillah.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
06-06-2006, 03:14 PM
i think it has been about 10 or 11 months for me aswell, I couldnt give it up staright away but managed to stop it gradually, even though it still plays at my work place but I dont put it on myself...

It is almost impossible to cpmpletly stay away from music if you are from where I am and also jusut because you might stop doesnt mean every else has but Allah helps those who help themselves...InshaAllah.

Umm Yoosuf
06-06-2006, 03:16 PM
This sister told these true stories. Let me recall them to you to the best of my ability Insha Allah. May Allah forgive me if i make any mistakes.

Once a young youth whom loved to listen to music had a car crash together with his two friends in Saudi Arabia, when the ambulance crew came they reliesed that this brother was near to death so they tried to help him take the shahadah but he couldn't say it...all he could do was sing the tunes to the Music. Subhan Allah.

Likewise another young man got out of his car to get something from the back or fix something (Allah knows best) just as he was about to do that this car hit him out of nowhere until he was between the two cars like the likes of a sandwich. The ambulance crew came, and he (the young man) was humming this beautiful tune- they reliesed it was the Quran. They never heard of such a beautiful reaciation before. Subhan Allah. Just as he was near to death, they tried to help him say the shahadah. Say "la ilaha illallah!!! "...and he (the young man) carried on reciting the Quran. Later on in his own time he said "la ilaha illallah ".....He didn't require their help. Subhan Allah.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
06-06-2006, 03:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah
This sister told these true stories. Let me recall them to you to the best of my ability Insha Allah. May Allah forgive me if i make any mistakes.

Once a young youth whom loved to listen to music had a car crash together with his two friends in Saudi Arabia, when the ambulance crew came they reliesed that this brother was near to death so they tried to help him take the shahadah but he couldn't say it...all he could do was sing the tunes to the Music. Subhan Allah.

Likewise another young man got out of his car to get something from the back or fix something (Allah knows best) just as he was about to do that this car hit him out of nowhere until he was between the two cars like the likes of a sandwich. The ambulance crew came, and he (the young man) was humming this beautiful tune- they reliesed it was the Quran. They never heard of such a beautiful reaciation before. Subhan Allah. Just as he was near to death, they tried to help him say the shahadah. Say "la ilaha illallah!!! "...and he (the young man) carried on reciting the Quran. Later on in his own time he said "la ilaha illallah ".....He didn't require their help. Subhan Allah.

yeah i got that lecture. its good wake up call

Uma Rayanah
06-06-2006, 04:36 PM

I gave up music waa alhmduliaah almost 3 years ago... on ma 18th birthday.... i wanted 2 change to become a better muslimah...

From dat day and on words... Alhmduliaah i cant complain... i have repleaced all my rubbish cds and tapes to Quranic tapes and nasheeds...:)

May Allah 4give me and 4give us all... Ameen..

czgibson
06-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Greetings Maz,
format_quote Originally Posted by x Maz x
Sumin i regret alot but as erm i kinda loved my rap/hop-hop/r'n'b and erm the lyrics say enough right? well Yeh and all they really talked about is gun culture/sex/drugs/violence and had no real meaning behind it so it was inevitable in a way i would open ma eyes and stop listening to it cause when you think bout the lyrics well 'nuff said!
It seems that you object to the lyrics of certain performers rather than music itself...

As I've said before many times on the forum, I adore music of all kinds, and there is no chance whatsoever that I will stop listening to it unless I lose my hearing. I'm also convinced that, while there are lots of talentless performers, or performers with potentially nasty lyrics, there is absolutely nothing wrong with music per se. It's a standard part of the educational curriculum in the West - long may it continue.

That's a picture of my guitar you can see in my avatar. I play it every day, and it sounds utterly fantastic.

Peace

Sohrab
06-06-2006, 07:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings Maz,

It seems that you object to the lyrics of certain performers rather than music itself...

As I've said before many times on the forum, I adore music of all kinds, and there is no chance whatsoever that I will stop listening to it unless I lose my hearing. I'm also convinced that, while there are lots of talentless performers, or performers with potentially nasty lyrics, there is absolutely nothing wrong with music per se. It's a standard part of the educational curriculum in the West - long may it continue.

That's a picture of my guitar you can see in my avatar. I play it every day, and it sounds utterly fantastic.

Peace
Outside the Boundaries of Islam, I would have agreed with you...but somehow, once you know that a gigantic personality that is of Mohammed SAW in Islam, didn't like and encourage music, i don't really think you can enjoy music anymore, even if one continues listening to it. As for being nothing wrong with the music per se...a smart muslim will never argue about it, cos it's not about something rite or wrong about it that makes muslims abandon it...it's just about the teachings of Mohammed SAW that matter...and i'm pretty sure you would have sensed this by now, being on this forum for some good time.

Your guitar looks nice though. I myself was once a big fan of Eric Clapton. But now i'm like "whatever the Messenger gives you, take that...and whatever he forbids you from, keep away from it."

Prayers

musicman
06-07-2006, 02:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ayesha Rana
You sound like the woman who went to a scholar and likewise asked him to find her one place in the Quran where it said eyebrow plucking was haram.
the answer was, that in the Qur'an we are told to follow and obey Allah's messenger. How can we do this without the hadith and sunnah?:rollseyes

And as ghurabaa2000 stated in an earlier post elsewhere,
Rasulullah [Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam] states, ‘A group of my Ummah will drink wine calling it by other than its real name. merry will be made for them through the playing of musical instruments and by the singing of females. Allah will cleave the earth under them and turn them into apes and swines.’

Like i said earlier majority of the salaf said music is haram e.g Abu Hanifa, Imam Malik, Shafi'i, Ahmed bin hanbal, Ibn Taymiyyah, Ibn Kathir, so many more

What you gonna do bro? Refuse Allah's messenger.
When we recite the shahada we say, "I declare that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad (saw) is the Messenger of Allah."
If you accept he is the Messenger then you've got to accept his Message.:rollseyes

But those quotes do not say that music is haram! It is giving a description of an event that included music. Remember the hadeeth was written hundreds of years after the Quran was made. If the Quran is the first source because it was created by god. Then you are saying the Quran is not perfect? You can fallow the examples of the prophet by just reading Quran which is perfect and the first reference one should consult. Yes there are many great things in the Hadeeth but it was written by man so it has many errors in it. Yes I do fallow prayers as written in the Hadeeth for now until my reaserch of the Quran is complete, this is a growing process as a muslim.

And like I said give me one example that says exactly that "music is haram" from the Quran.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-07-2006, 04:10 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Ähmed

Perhaps you should read this, in its entirety and then come back and prove to us that Music is NOT haram. I would love to hear your arguement.

format_quote Originally Posted by Khaldun

Musicman, answer the above please.

Helena
06-07-2006, 10:00 AM

my story is diff..... i gave up music 2yrs ago....

in 2004....when i heard the news am going to perform umrah and it hit me allah(swt) has put mercy on me...his calling me to his place...inreturn i shud give up worthless duniya thing that has kept me apart from Allah(swt)....For two weeks i gve it up...as i was prep myself for umrah...wen i went there...alhamdulilah......during tawaf......i made a promise...frm now on...no more music....certainly brain washes u...makes u belive in something that leads to corruption....and alhamdulilah i gave it up....Manage to throw away all the worthless items...now in my room there is simply nasheeds, surahs...nothing else but that...i am greatful to my lord.....

Umm Yoosuf
06-07-2006, 10:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by A'isha
Salam.....Well sis Aalimah wanted me 2 tel u hw she gve up music...She saw this scary video on this forum....bout this guy typin away at his desk..and then he suddenly dies..tht made sis aalimah scared and she thought wt if tht was me..? then she startd practising and becomin a bettr muslim...o and i helped her of course :p :w:

Masha Allah.

Originally Posted by Khaldun

I awaite the answer to this question:X

czgibson
06-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by A'isha
Salam.....Well sis Aalimah wanted me 2 tel u hw she gve up music...She saw this scary video on this forum....bout this guy typin away at his desk..and then he suddenly dies..tht made sis aalimah scared and she thought wt if tht was me..?
Did she give any clues as to what a guy typing on his desk and suddenly dying has to do with music?

Peace

06-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Greetings,

Did she give any clues as to what a guy typing on his desk and suddenly dying has to do with music?

Peace
It's not directly related, but it shows that u can die anytime so the time to change is now.

czgibson
06-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Greetings Sohrab,

Thanks for your message. :)

format_quote Originally Posted by Sohrab
Outside the Boundaries of Islam, I would have agreed with you...but somehow, once you know that a gigantic personality that is of Mohammed SAW in Islam, didn't like and encourage music, i don't really think you can enjoy music anymore, even if one continues listening to it. As for being nothing wrong with the music per se...a smart muslim will never argue about it, cos it's not about something rite or wrong about it that makes muslims abandon it...it's just about the teachings of Mohammed SAW that matter...and i'm pretty sure you would have sensed this by now, being on this forum for some good time.
Yes, absolutely. This seems to me to be another case where having faith in the absolute correctness of something leads people to hold views that have no real justification outside of that.

I view life differently. Suppose I am a believer in the teachings of someone I consider to be a great thinker (say, Immanuel Kant). I will agree with many things that he says, but it's perfectly OK for me to disagree with some of what he says if I think I have good reason to do so. As far as I can see, no human being has ever had a perfect message for humanity - everybody is wrong sometimes.

Your guitar looks nice though. I myself was once a big fan of Eric Clapton.
Interesting. He's a good player, and he used a Les Paul like mine for a while on a few of his early albums. My favourite players are Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa and Jimmy Page.

Peace

Halima
06-07-2006, 11:24 PM

Even though some of you guys might say that in the Quran there is no direct correlation saying that music is haraam however,

By going that extra mile will get you to jannah. Prophet(saw) didn't encourage anyone to listen to music back then and all music back 1400 years ago was just a whole bunch of instruments!

Imagine today, the modern world music that is filled with such filthy lyrics and provocative tunes, what makes it right for you to go and listen to it anyways?

You knowing that the Prophet(saw) discourage it, in other words..you are just disrespecting him!

amirah_87
06-08-2006, 03:59 PM
well................ when me and my sisters got taken to an islamic institute abroad , there was no music there so we had no chioce really!!
but then we started to become religious ,practisin' n' stuff so now we have the knowledge that it's haram and what the iqaab is for 1 who does listen to it...wal hamdulillah

czgibson
06-08-2006, 05:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Halima
By going that extra mile will get you to jannah. Prophet(saw) didn't encourage anyone to listen to music back then and all music back 1400 years ago was just a whole bunch of instruments!
Not so. For example: plainchant, which existed at that time and before, was purely vocal.

Imagine today, the modern world music that is filled with such filthy lyrics and provocative tunes, what makes it right for you to go and listen to it anyways?
Are you really suggesting that all modern music is like this?

Peace

Abdul Fattah
06-08-2006, 06:12 PM
I've stopped listening to music to ever since last ramadan. Well living in the west there's still places were it's unavoidable to listen obviously (like when riding along with someone, when walking on the street past a store that has music playing, etc..). And I have clearly felt the difrences! I would have never imagened that music has such an impact on our state of mind and mental well being. But I've found just as Barzakh said in his original post: "Music seems to amplify and exagerate situations in your life to ridiculous proportions sometimes making it that much more harder to deal with, Alhumdulilah i've found my life to be much more drama free ever since I quit."

And cgibson, it's not always the case of provocative or filthy lyrics. Sometimes even poetical lyrics of a love song, the rythm of a spanish guitar, a sad tone can influence your state of mind so much. And it's not like this influence is bad by default, but in the end of the day you are alowing music to dictate your state of being. In extreme situations, think of the heartbroken girl who indulge in her sadness by listening to that one melodramic lovesong that makes her cry. Think of the suicidal guy who keeps listening to depressive lyrics of some gothic band. Think of teh sexually frustrated boy in his puberty listening to the sexy voice of his favourite idol. these songs influence our state of mind, our happyness, our point of view on the events in our lives so much that it can easely become problematic.

From a scientific p.o.v: In a way neuropsychology says we are adicted to our emotions. Emotions trigger a chemical that stimulates the same receptors of our cells that the active ingredient of heroine works on. I'll say it again: we are addicted to our emotions. We choice to indulge in them because we like it. Even the negative emotions! That’s why, when you’re sad, you put on that one song that makes you cry. That’s why some people tend to be so bitter that they even seek out the downside of a positive event. Why some girls love drama and some guys are all about adrenaline. All of this is because our emotions trigger addictive chemicals. and music is like our dealers. Music can provide us with these emotions we so hardly crave. But, we still have a choice nonetheless. When we realize what we’re doing, we can put a stop to it. It’s not about being able to stop the addiction; it’s about wanting to stop it. Every psychological addiction can be stopped by nothing more then willpower.

I'm sure you're thinking I'm over reacting. I admit this theory seems rather strong and exagurated. So I challange you. Take the test. Try not to listen to music for a month or 3. Don't put on music yourself, and try to avoid places where they play it. Don't put on your radio in the car, at work. I'm sure you'll notice the effect music has on us, and how easily we get addicted to it, and to the emotions it triggers.

Daffodil
06-08-2006, 08:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by steve
I've stopped listening to music to ever since last ramadan. Well living in the west there's still places were it's unavoidable to listen obviously (like when riding along with someone, when walking on the street past a store that has music playing, etc..). And I have clearly felt the difrences! I would have never imagened that music has such an impact on our state of mind and mental well being. But I've found just as Barzakh said in his original post: "Music seems to amplify and exagerate situations in your life to ridiculous proportions sometimes making it that much more harder to deal with, Alhumdulilah i've found my life to be much more drama free ever since I quit."

And cgibson, it's not always the case of provocative or filthy lyrics. Sometimes even poetical lyrics of a love song, the rythm of a spanish guitar, a sad tone can influence your state of mind so much. And it's not like this influence is bad by default, but in the end of the day you are alowing music to dictate your state of being. In extreme situations, think of the heartbroken girl who indulge in her sadness by listening to that one melodramic lovesong that makes her cry. Think of the suicidal guy who keeps listening to depressive lyrics of some gothic band. Think of teh sexually frustrated boy in his puberty listening to the sexy voice of his favourite idol. these songs influence our state of mind, our happyness, our point of view on the events in our lives so much that it can easely become problematic.

From a scientific p.o.v: In a way neuropsychology says we are adicted to our emotions. Emotions trigger a chemical that stimulates the same receptors of our cells that the active ingredient of heroine works on. I'll say it again: we are addicted to our emotions. We choice to indulge in them because we like it. Even the negative emotions! That’s why, when you’re sad, you put on that one song that makes you cry. That’s why some people tend to be so bitter that they even seek out the downside of a positive event. Why some girls love drama and some guys are all about adrenaline. All of this is because our emotions trigger addictive chemicals. and music is like our dealers. Music can provide us with these emotions we so hardly crave. But, we still have a choice nonetheless. When we realize what we’re doing, we can put a stop to it. It’s not about being able to stop the addiction; it’s about wanting to stop it. Every psychological addiction can be stopped by nothing more then willpower.

I'm sure you're thinking I'm over reacting. I admit this theory seems rather strong and exagurated. So I challange you. Take the test. Try not to listen to music for a month or 3. Don't put on music yourself, and try to avoid places where they play it. Don't put on your radio in the car, at work. I'm sure you'll notice the effect music has on us, and how easily we get addicted to it, and to the emotions it triggers.
Mashallah a brilliant post bro.

czgibson
06-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Greetings Steve,

Thanks for your post.

I mostly agree with you about the powerful effects that music has on the brain - your neuroscientific explanation can't be faulted. However, I think you misunderstand the function and effects of sad songs.

Sad songs actually make a depressed person feel happier, because they send the message that they are not alone. In the throes of clinical depression, it can seem that no-one else in the world understands how one is feeling, but listening to, say, Delta blues music or someone like Morrissey or the Velvet Underground proves this isn't true, and is incredibly uplifting for a person in that state. I speak from experience. When you're in that state happy music just sounds fake and irritating, and will actually bring you down even further.

Due to the physical and emotional effects that we're talking about, music is actually used as therapy for people with many conditions including depression or trauma. See here.

Further, I doubt that you could find a case where music has been shown to lead people into problematic or dangerous territory. There was a famous case in the US brought by some parents whose son had killed himself. He had been a big fan of Ozzy Osbourne, and the parents were convinced that his song 'Suicide Solution' had inspired the boy to commit suicide. The judge acquited Ozzy and his record company because it couldn't be proven. One of the factors in the decision is that the song was actually anti-suicide, but still, the point remains: it would be a very difficult thing to prove.

Of course, you're a Muslim, so you believe whatever Allah tells you, so none of this reasoning really makes a difference. However, I like to present the case for the defence when it comes to music. In general, I can only see it being a force for good.

I'm off to play my guitar. :thankyou:

Peace

Halima
06-09-2006, 12:01 AM

But do you think we should just listen to complete silence instead? say for instane in the car? and how do we stop being tempted to listen to music so much?

One thing I have noticed is that whenever I put on a reciting ..then I get so tempted to put back on the radio..I and I try soooo hard! why is that?

Abdul Fattah
06-09-2006, 09:49 AM
@czgibson
Sad songs actually make a depressed person feel happier, because they send the message that they are not alone. In the throes of clinical depression, it can seem that no-one else in the world understands how one is feeling, but listening to, say, Delta blues music or someone like Morrissey or the Velvet Underground proves this isn't true, and is incredibly uplifting for a person in that state. I speak from experience. When you're in that state happy music just sounds fake and irritating, and will actually bring you down even further.
Well I think in teh end the interpretations and effects are very personal. For example. If I hear a song of the gipsy kings I get sad. Most peolpe find their music uplifting. But for me it has a difrent effect. My father was crazy about the gipsy kings and played that music all the time. Hearing it now reminds me of my late father thus makes me sad. That's just one example. As for a sad song making you less sad. I think this is how it works: You have an urge to be sad. Therefor you put on a sad song. The sad song makes you sad, perhaps even cry. You feel like you got it out of your system and now feel better. And don't get me wrong, there are times were it is desirable to be sad. For examlpe if someone dies close to us we need to be sad about it, it's part of the mourning proces. And a song can help us do that. So therefor we are happy that the song alows us to manifest these feelings of sadness that already were inside us.

Due to the physical and emotional effects that we're talking about, music is actually used as therapy for people with many conditions including depression or trauma. See here.
Yes I never meant to deny music has benefits. Like I said, It's not like music is bad by default. It only becomes problematic when we alow music to determine our state of mind on a daily basis. Prozac is also used in therapy, and it also has benefits. But it is also a drug and it can lead to substance abuse.

Further, I doubt that you could find a case where music has been shown to lead people into problematic or dangerous territory.
Well I wouldn't go as far to say that somebody commited suicide because of teh song. Obviously a person needs a lot more then just a song to do something like that. What I am saying is that songs make us indulge into our feelings. That they make us a lot more dependable of our emotions. And if we're on the edge, they could give the final push.

Of course, you're a Muslim, so you believe whatever Allah tells you, so none of this reasoning really makes a difference.
We can't get any more obvious then that can we :statisfie

However, I like to present the case for the defence when it comes to music. In general, I can only see it being a force for good.
I 'd say it has both benefits and downsides. But since it's adviced not to listen, I assume that the downsides exceed the benefits. And I have personally felt the difrence in my life, the benefits from no longer listening. And well, you know, personal expieriance goes a long way right. :)

@Halima

But do you think we should just listen to complete silence instead? say for instane in the car? and how do we stop being tempted to listen to music so much?
Wel I guess that should show you how addicting it is, doesn't it? :)

One thing I have noticed is that whenever I put on a reciting ..then I get so tempted to put back on the radio..I and I try soooo hard! why is that?
A lot of people feel at ease when listening to recitations it is said to have benefits for mankind to listen to it. It puts peace in our hearts. It is also said that Satan will use music for the opposite purpose.

Halima
06-09-2006, 05:59 PM

Are you really suggesting that all modern music is like this?

Peace

No, not all, just the majority of the music. Sadly even love songs that contain lyrics such as "you are so beautful to me......" are becoming more of a detriment to people's minds.

@ Steve
Wel I guess that should show you how addicting it is, doesn't it?
Well, that is why I am asking you..an 'easier' way for me to stop listening to music. What should I do? Meditate in my car to prevent me from touching the radio..or just to listen to complete silence? I'm sorry bro, but you'd just have to go the whole 9 yards with this.

Abdul Fattah
06-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Well, that is why I am asking you..an 'easier' way for me to stop listening to music. What should I do? Meditate in my car to prevent me from touching the radio..or just to listen to complete silence? I'm sorry bro, but you'd just have to go the whole 9 yards with this.
Well I don't I'm qualified to give advice here. you can always try complete silence or recitations. I'm sorry I can't answer that for you. Personally I use public transportation. And If I listen to something with a cd-player (yes i know, it's becoming old fashioned :) ) then it's recitations or nasheeds. Adn there are a lot of occasions that I am now in silence rather then listening to music. It did felt strange at first but I got used to it pretty fast. And now I 've relly grown to apreciate these silences. when there's music playing I long for them.

Sohrab
06-10-2006, 12:40 AM

To start with...nothing is easy really...simple law of inertia...:)

My advice would be to get an iPod/a nice mp3 player. Fill it up with your favourite recitations, Nasheeds, Speeches and duroos (e.g. from Aswatalislam.net). get a Cassette adaptor for mp3 players and empty your Car of any music cassettes and CDs. Keep the casette adaptor in the car all the time, and everytime you get in the car, take your ipod with you. In the begining it will taste really bland...kind of like switching from regular salt to low sodium salt, or from regular coke to diet coke:giggling: , but within two to three weeks inshAllah you'll be feeling the benefit.

Also if you make a committment with yourself like "i'll pray two nafals if i again listen to music", satan may as well stop tempting you to listen to music anymore. And believe me this helps :)

Quitting music is very much like giving up smoking....but take my word for it, it's much easier. Caution: beware of Passive Music 'listening', as it can be as dangerous as actively listening to it.

More...well...for every thousand hacking at the leaves of evil, there's one go at the root....Learn enuf arabic to understand quran without the help of translations, if you don't already know this much. If you do, try memorizing...if you've done that too, then go ahead and teach....the point is to move onwards. Best defence is offence...as we know, so you gotta make the move before the satan does. "indeed with every difficulty, there's ease"

May Allah Help us all follow the Quran and Sunnah better. Ameen

musicman
06-10-2006, 04:32 AM

Musicman, answer the above please.

No not yet that is why I said I am still studying the Quran to find answers. And for now since the Hadeeth has never touched the hand of God I can follow what I want to follow in the Hadeeth.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-10-2006, 11:59 AM
No not yet that is why I said I am still studying the Quran to find answers. And for now since the Hadeeth has never touched the hand of God I can follow what I want to follow in the Hadeeth.

That would mean if you took what you wanted and left what you didnt like,

208. O you who believe! Enter perfectly in Islâm (by obeying all the rules and regulations of the Islâmic religion) and follow not the footsteps of Shaitân (Satan). Verily! He is to you a plain enemy.

You wouldnt be praying Salah, and you wont be able to differentiate between the different types of Salah. You woudn't know the specifics of Zakah. You woudnt know the specifics of Usury. You woudnt know the monetry value that a person has to steal for his hand to be cut off and the list can go on and on. You see the Quran is perfect, but you need the Prophet to know how to apply what is commanded in the Quran. Allah could have easily revealed the Quran on top of a mountain but He didnt. Why? Because He knew that Mankind needed a perfect example to follow. Thus we have the Prophet (SAW).

21. Had We sent down this Qur'ân on a mountain, you would surely have seen it humbling itself and rending asunder by the fear of Allâh. Such are the parables which We put forward to mankind that they may reflect .

You see the fallacity of your argument is that you think that only the Quran is the Word of Allah. Indeed it is, but everything the Prophet (SAW) said is also from Allah and the Truth.

[Najm 53:3] And he does not say anything by his own desire.

[Najm 53:4] It is but a divine revelation, which is revealed to him.

Notice that the translation uses the word "anything".

Next, if you read the Quran and most of the time when Allah says i have revealed the Book, he mentions the word "Hikmah". What is this Hikmah that Allah revealed along side the Quran? What else can it be beside the Hadeeth?

Finally, the sheer number of verses that state:

65. But no, by your Lord, they can have no Faith, until they make you (O Muhammad ) judge in all disputes between them, and find in themselves no resistance against your decisions, and accept (them) with full submission. (An-Nisa)

32. Say (O Muhammad ): "Obey Allâh and the Messenger (Muhammad )." But if they turn away, then Allâh does not like the disbelievers. (Ale-Imran)

132. And obey Allâh and the Messenger (Muhammad ) that you may obtain mercy. (Ale-Imran)

13. These are the limits (set by) Allâh, and whosoever obeys Allâh and His Messenger (Muhammad ) will be admitted to Gardens under which rivers flow (in Paradise), to abide therein, and that will be the great success. (An-Nisa)

14. And whosoever disobeys Allâh and His Messenger (Muhammad ), and transgresses His limits, He will cast him into the Fire, to abide therein; and he shall have a disgraceful torment. (An-Nisa)

42. On that day those who disbelieved and disobeyed the Messenger (Muhammad ) will wish that they were buried in the earth, but they will never be able to hide a single fact from Allâh. (An-Nisa)

The number of such verses are over 30 in the whole Quran. Make the Quran your guide, but it will definetly point you toward the Sunnah - The Prophet (SAW).

czgibson
06-10-2006, 01:18 PM
Greetings,
No, not all, just the majority of the music. Sadly even love songs that contain lyrics such as "you are so beautful to me......" are becoming more of a detriment to people's minds.
Are you seriously suggesting now that most modern music is like this?

You clearly haven't heard very much music.

Peace

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Greetings,

Are you seriously suggesting now that most modern music is like this?

You clearly haven't heard very much music.

Peace
Hello,

I dont want to jump into your debate/discussion but I think the most simple answer would be, for the muslim it is a complete waste of time. Instead of a muslim remembering God, or doing something that will benefit him he will be wasting time. Our Prophet (SAW) said:

"Take advantage of five matters before five other matters: your youth, before you become old; and your health, before you fall sick; and your richness, before you become poor; and your free time before you become busy; and your life, before your death." ( hadith of ibn Abbas radi Allahu anhu reported in the mustadrak of Al-Haakim, musnad Imam Ahmad, and others, with an authentic chain of narration.)

Music is a cause of a muslim wasting the underlined parts of the Hadith above. How many kids today waste their youth by the likes of listening to music, how many waste their free time by this, and how many ultimetly waste their entire lives on such fruitless items.

The Prophet sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam said, "There are two blessings the majority of mankind have been deceived concerning." The majority of mankind do not appreciate these two blessings. What are they? "Health," good health, "and free time."

So you see its not a question of good music or bad music. Its a question of, Is listening to this Music bringing me close to God, or is taking me further away?

Regards.

snakelegs
06-10-2006, 06:41 PM
So you see its not a question of good music or bad music. Its a question of, Is listening to this Music bringing me close to God, or is taking me further away?
music has brought me closer to god than almost anything else. ever.

amirah_87
06-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Hows That Snake Legs ??

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-10-2006, 07:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
music has brought me closer to god than almost anything else. ever.
Then you havent looked into Islam. And notice I said:

for the muslim it is a complete waste of time.
We have something better than all music put together, which is the Speech of God. The Quran. To then, listen to the speech of men (i.e. in music, singing) is a waste of time.

snakelegs
06-10-2006, 11:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
Hows That Snake Legs ??
it is something you really can't put in words but certain music makes me feel connected to god - like i'm home.

snakelegs
06-10-2006, 11:57 PM
Then you havent looked into Islam. And notice I said:

We have something better than all music put together, which is the Speech of God. The Quran. To then, listen to the speech of men (i.e. in music, singing) is a waste of time.
you're right - you were talking about muslims. sorry - it is just that the idea of god forbidding music is just so incomprehensible to me. but then, i don't need to understand it.
i've listened to qur'an recitations and i agree - it is beautiful.
i don't feel like qawwali is a waste of time.
anyway, sorry for sticking my nose in.

NJUSA
06-11-2006, 12:02 AM
I am Muslim, and I know and know of many Muslims that connect with the Divine with and through music. There are some who choose to refrain from listening to or playing music entirely, or avoid certain types of music, and that is their right to choose. However, it's not the only choice for to make in an Islamic context.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-11-2006, 01:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
you're right - you were talking about muslims. sorry - it is just that the idea of god forbidding music is just so incomprehensible to me. but then, i don't need to understand it.
i've listened to qur'an recitations and i agree - it is beautiful.
i don't feel like qawwali is a waste of time.
anyway, sorry for sticking my nose in.

Islam does forbid music, I was using that as another reason to justify why Music is forbidden.

You say that there is some good in it, and I wont disagree, there may be some small portion that is good, but the evils of it are greater than its good. Gambling and Alcohol are forbidden on the same basis:
219. They ask you (O Muhammad ) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: "In them is a great sin, and (some) benefit for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit." And they ask you what they ought to spend. Say: "That which is beyond your needs." Thus Allâh makes clear to you His Laws in order that you may give thought."
By analogy, Music falls under the same categorization as the above.

Qawaalli is, simply put an innovation which people think brings them closer to Allah - The Prophet didnt do it, the Companions didnt do it, nor did any of the Pious Predeccasors.

Please read this regarding Music:

http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...an-sunnah.html

format_quote Originally Posted by NJUSA
I am Muslim, and I know and know of many Muslims that connect with the Divine with and through music. There are some who choose to refrain from listening to or playing music entirely, or avoid certain types of music, and that is their right to choose. However, it's not the only choice for to make in an Islamic context.
Again ill restate that music is without a shadow of a doubt forbidden in this religion, one of the many reasons is mentioned in my previous posts: Again refer to this:

NJUSA
06-11-2006, 01:57 AM
Sorry, Ahmed, but you are just not my Lord. You have got your opinions, and you are more than welcome to them, but I am not required to follow your opinions. Neither is anyone else. People may choose to agree with you, but no one shall answer to you on the Last Day. If you believe that you are receiving revelation from God, I hope that works well for you, but I am not convinced that you are divine, or a prophet.

Silver Pearl
06-11-2006, 05:12 AM
Sorry, Ahmed, but you are just not my Lord. You have got your opinions, and you are more than welcome to them, but I am not required to follow your opinions. Neither is anyone else. People may choose to agree with you, but no one shall answer to you on the Last Day. If you believe that you are receiving revelation from God, I hope that works well for you, but I am not convinced that you are divine, or a prophet.

I hate to join this discussion but with a statement like that sister, its hard to let go. Perhaps you missed the brothers post, its not his opinion nor has he elivated himself to be 'Lord' nor has he even said that he was a prophet. He gave you daleel (evidence), don't result to ad hominem attack, it makes one sound very childish. If you want to disagree feel free and provide evidence, if refuted take it, don't sulk because it doesn't quite fit ones ideology of what Islam is all about.

Note to everyone:Keep this thread clean guys, no attacks, no insults...you get the drill.

snakelegs
06-11-2006, 08:06 AM

Islam does forbid music, I was using that as another reason to justify why Music is forbidden.

You say that there is some good in it, and I wont disagree, there may be some small portion that is good, but the evils of it are greater than its good. Gambling and Alcohol are forbidden on the same basis:

By analogy, Music falls under the same categorization as the above.

Qawaalli is, simply put an innovation which people think brings them closer to Allah - The Prophet didnt do it, the Companions didnt do it, nor did any of the Pious Predeccasors.

Please read this regarding Music:

Again ill restate that music is without a shadow of a doubt forbidden in this religion, one of the many reasons is mentioned in my previous posts: Again refer to this:

i am aware that all the moderators, as well as a lot of members of this forum believe that it is forbidden. and i also know good muslims who feel differently about it. but i guess it is up to each individual to decide for himself.
i will say that i think a person should take responsibility for what he puts in his ears - personally, i don't consume main stream culture at all because i also think "the evil outways the good".
of course the prophet didn't do qawwali! it didn't exist then. i know it brings me closer to god and that's good enough for me.

Abdul Fattah
06-11-2006, 11:48 AM
i am aware that all the moderators, as well as a lot of members of this forum believe that it is forbidden. and i also know good muslims who feel differently about it. but i guess it is up to each individual to decide for himself.
I don't know wheter you should judge someones choices by the criteria of him being good. I can imagen good people doing things they shouldn't. At the same time bad peopel can do good things. Life isn't that black-and-white. There are indeed many muslims who listen to music and who see no harm in that. However as muslims we are not to implement rules by our personal preferance or by our personal judgement of what is good and bad. We are to follow the guidelines of our religion and try and seek source (verse of Qur'an or hadeeth of the prophet) to determine what is accepted and not.

i will say that i think a person should take responsibility for what he puts in his ears - personally, i don't consume main stream culture at all because i also think "the evil outways the good".
of course the prophet didn't do qawwali! it didn't exist then.
I thikn our points of views aer then quite close to eachother.

i know it brings me closer to god and that's good enough for me.
Fair enough. However I am curious about this. Could you elaborate on that? What kind of music has this effect on you? Why do you reckon it has? Do you sometimes think it's dangerous to rely on music (=entertainement) to guide your religious awareness? Do you think this will eventually develop into soemthing else? Does this influence your actions throughout the day?

Sweet_Boy
06-11-2006, 12:25 PM
i am into nasheeds a lot but my intrest for music is slimer than ever

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Can you please point out to me where I said any of the above? You are incapable of defending your position and you jump to attack the one who showed you something contrary to what your desires wanted to see.

I just showed you the proper Islamic stance on Music - taken from the QUran and the Sunnah. Im sorry if that is a cause of anger for you, perhaps its best if you find out where your getting your information about Islam from.

bandoo
06-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Interesting! Never thought music is so deadly to human beings! I have always thought music to be the most beautiful gift bestowed by the Allah on the mankind. Surely, all those naats sung by Sufi saints in praise of Allah can not be the work of satan!

I can understand someone personally having a dislike for music, but to call it Un-Islamic is certainly not correct!

Bandoo

NJUSA
06-11-2006, 04:41 PM
You have attempted to dictate to me what the "Islamic" view is on music. That is a divine prerogative. You assume that you know what I know- something that only God and I know. I know where I'm getting my Islamic information from, would you like a bibliography?
And I'm not angry, I'm just disgusted that people pass off this garbage as Islam lately.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-11-2006, 05:00 PM
You have attempted to dictate to me what the "Islamic" view is on music. That is a divine prerogative. You assume that you know what I know- something that only God and I know. I know where I'm getting my Islamic information from, would you like a bibliography?
And I'm not angry, I'm just disgusted that people pass off this garbage as Islam lately.

I showed you the Quranic and the Sunnah's perpsective on Music. Im sorry if you assume that I said that from myself. I'm sorry too, if you dont accept the Quran and the Sunnah as enough Daleel.

Your attacks on me mean nothing, simply beacuse they are untrue. That is the last resort of those who are incapable of maintaining their position in a discussion.

May Allah guide us all.

NJUSA
06-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Er, when did I make an attack on you, just because I don't follow your opinions, but instead turn to the Qur'an, and then the Sunnah, then the jurisitic tradition?

Mar1
06-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Er, when did I make an attack on you, just because I don't follow your opinions, but instead turn to the Qur'an, and then the Sunnah, then the jurisitic tradition?
Traditions are what are you doing, Ähmed was clear with you to show you from Quran and sunnah, and in addition to that, all our great scholars said it's haram with many prooves, I add sthg else if you want and if you understand in fekh, all the 4 medhhabs are agreed that music is haram.
Anyways it's better for you to admit it's haram, and to say that you cannot stop it, then we will dua for you insheAllah and with your try and Allah's help, you'll be able to leave it another day insheAllah, but if you try to make it halal, I warn you it's really dangerous and you cannot support its results another day.

NJUSA
06-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Violation of 2 rules, including a multiple of violation of the no sectarian rule:

Beef will not be tolerated in any forum. Differences in opinion are expected, but please debate respectfully. (Beef are comments made for the purpose of insulting somebody else with negative intent, looking for a negative reaction, or blatantly insulting somebody) 15-25% warning

No sectarian issues allowed. We are promoting the unity of Islam. Allah (Exalted is He) said in Surah Al-An\'âm, verse 159:

Verily, those who divide their religion and break up into sects (all kinds of religious sects), you (O Muhammad -- Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) have no concern in them in the least. Their affair is only with Allâh, Who then will tell them what they used to do. 15% warning

Mar1
06-11-2006, 05:56 PM
ouch I forgot to give you a clear link associating these prooves, and then you can verify the sources, they are 100% true:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/F...716/music.html
and if you speak arabic this one will be better:
http://www.saaid.net/Minute/m94.htm
Quran + Sunnah + Sahaba + The great followers: cannot compare all this to some ppl calling themselves scholars nowadays

NJUSA
06-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Oh my word, I haven't seen such claptrap since I was an adolescent.

Mar1
06-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Oh my word, I haven't seen such claptrap since I was an adolescent.
U really answer quickly, use your mind, I gave you 2 links full of true prooves, and you replied my msg in less than one minute

Mar1
06-11-2006, 06:02 PM
I can say music is halal, and listen to it and enjoy myself, but I wont, I fear Allah and I'll not gain anything to make others stopping music if it's not haram

NJUSA
06-11-2006, 06:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mar1
U really answer quickly, use your mind, I gave you 2 links full of true prooves, and you replied my msg in less than one minute
Because I've come across both several times before. Now excuse me, I have to go erase the memory of that nonsense with Qur'an.

NJUSA
06-11-2006, 06:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
I'm sorry but bro Mar did no such thing, he merely pointed out that music is Haraam as proven from the Quran and Sunnah - not his own views. There is no need to resort to semi-ad hominem attacks.
And there is no need to abuse Latin, and the tradition of Islamic scholarship.
Wa asalaamu alaikum.

NJUSA
06-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Ahmed, Mar, and Alpha Dude:
You three apparently belong to a sect that I do not wish to join. Feel free to express your view of faith, but don't force me to espouse your views. I'm a Muslim, simple as that. I don't owe allegiance to any but God, and will not allow any to come between me and my Lord. For those of you who may be interested, I do plan to present a synthesis of opinions and arguments in favor of music- real research, not Sheikh Google.
Asalaamu alaikum.

Mar1
06-11-2006, 06:19 PM
And there is no need to abuse Latin, and the tradition of Islamic scholarship.
Wa asalaamu alaikum.
Wa aleikom assalam
really no need to abuse latin with what you say, but it's helpful to translate arabic to muslims that cannot speak it till ther moment.
Islam is far from being a tradition, if you see well, you will find many of traditions never existed in Islam (I mean the time of the prophet's Islam):
-music
-hard way to get married
-many weird things done as religious, having no relation with our religion

Silver Pearl
06-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Boys and Girls may i remind you that this isn't the football pitch, keep your personal vendetta to yourselves. Issues such as this require daleel, if you are going to provide one then woopy doo, if not, don't join in the discussion. Especially if all your contribution consists attacking someone.

Consider, may Allah have mercy on you, the admonition and the lesson contained in what Ibn Abee Haatim ar-Raazee narrates, he said: I entered into damscus upon the students of ahadeeth and i passed by the circle of Qaasim al-joo'ee. I found a group sitting around him and he was speaking. Their appearance ance amazed me and i heard him saying: 'Seize the benefit of five things from the people of your time:When you are present you are not known; when you are absent you are not missed; when you are seen your advice is not sought; when you say something your saying is not accepted; and when you have some knowledge you are notgiven anything for it.I also advice you with five things: when you are treated unjustly then doo not behave unjustly; when you are praised then do not become happy; when you are criticised do not be upset; when you are not believed do not become angry; and if they act deceitfully towards you do not act deceitfully towards them.' Ib Abee Haatim said. So i took that as my benefit from Damascus

Take the above words seriously brothers and sisters.

If this thread does not improve it will be closed, simple as.

:wasalamex

NJUSA
06-11-2006, 06:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Silver Pearl
Boys and Girls may i remind you that this isn't the football pitch, keep your personal vendetta to yourselves. Issues such as this require daleel, if you are going to provide one then woopy doo, if not, don't join in the discussion. Especially if all your contribution consists attacking someone.

Consider, may Allah have mercy on you, the admonition and the lesson contained in what Ibn Abee Haatim ar-Raazee narrates, he said: I entered into damscus upon the students of ahadeeth and i passed by the circle of Qaasim al-joo'ee. I found a group sitting around him and he was speaking. Their appearance ance amazed me and i heard him saying: 'Seize the benefit of five things from the people of your time:When you are present you are not known; when you are absent you are not missed; when you are seen your advice is not sought; when you say something your saying is not accepted; and when you have some knowledge you are notgiven anything for it.I also advice you with five things: when you are treated unjustly then doo not behave unjustly; when you are praised then do not become happy; when you are criticised do not be upset; when you are not believed do not become angry; and if they act deceitfully towards you do not act deceitfully towards them.' Ib Abee Haatim said. So i took that as my benefit from Damascus

Take the above words seriously brothers and sisters.

If this thread does not improve it will be closed, simple as.

:wasalamex
Can I get this quote in the original Arabic? In English, the syntax got garbled.
Thank you.

Mar1
06-11-2006, 06:26 PM
... will not allow any to come between me and my Lord.
but you just let music come between you and owr lord, never take an innocent try from muslims to advice like that, if you'r convinced it's ok, if not may Allah help the mistaken from us to find the true path.

... For those of you who may be interested, I do plan to present a synthesis of opinions and arguments in favor of music- real research, not Sheikh Google.
hopefully I asked you to verify the sources, we are sure from them Alhamdulilleh in real life too, Internet is a modern way to share informations, no more, I can give you too links of some "scholars" allowung music, but I said my opinion about such "scholars" having opinions against Quran and sunnah and real scholars.

NJUSA
06-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Mar1:
I gave my salaam to you, please take it. Perhaps it will take the second time 'round:
Asalaamu alaikum.

Mar1
06-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Wa aleikom assalam :S really sorry

Mar1
06-11-2006, 06:38 PM
My advice: Stay in the fight, do not give up - I realise it may be hard but that is your test..
Yes, please don't leave us because we have different opinions, after all we are muslims, I will never attack you insheAllah or let someone attack you :-)

NJUSA
06-11-2006, 06:39 PM
I'm sorry to put you on the spot light, but since you keep asserting that music is halal you leave me no other option...

This is one of you earlier posts on why you, to this day, indulge in music:

Source: http://www.islamicboard.com/310234-post25.html

Judging by what you have said here it is perhaps, and forgive me if I'm wrong, entirely reasonable for me to assume that you "gave up" the struggle to follow Allah's command simply because you found it too hard.

What you ought to realise is that this world is a test, this is a basic key concept that you must at all costs embed into your thought process.

The fact that at first you attempted to stop practicing music was a positive step towards acting according to Allahs will and the fact also that you found it difficult is an entirely natural feeling. But it is a shame that you gave up the fight, this is one of the things that you are being tested by - you should continue the struggle. You have placed yourself into a worse situation by giving into your desires and attempting to justify it in any way possible.

My advice: Stay in the fight, do not give up - I realise it may be hard but that is your test.

BTW: Please do not misconstrue this as an attack against you sis Njusa, just my words out of concern, also sis Silver Pearl I know I have no daleel etc in this post but I feel I must get this message across to Njusa.
You are wrong. Are you saying that I should have committed suicide instead of being a musician? Are you saying that I should have compromised tawhid by making patriarchy my religion besides Islam?
My advice: Stop playing God. The music of the universe, the human body, and of human invention are here for a reason. If you have a problem, take it up with God.
My next response will be an actual work of scholarship, unlike what's been posted here.

Mar1
06-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Astaghfirullah, you are saying anything, do you now drinking is haram right? if you try to advice someone to leave it then u r playing god?!!! astaghfirullah
anyways, ppl allowing music have their reason, being attracted to music, but what about ppl prohibiting it? I don't see another reason but religion..
live 70 years or whenever you live, this life is really short to make some basics against Islam

Hijaabi22
06-11-2006, 07:53 PM
this thread gna get closed :rollseyes

Mar1
06-11-2006, 08:11 PM
ummm, didn't see ur opinion ------------ :)

AllaahuAkbar
06-11-2006, 08:38 PM
assalamu'alaikum warahmutallah!!!!
Mashallah to all who are trying to go to the straight path of Allah(swt)
Music is a major sin, we all need to stay careful about it since in this dunya at this particular time music is all over the place. Our Prophet(saw) mentioned that as Yawmal Qiyamah nears, music will be popular n also it will be in Muslims houses. And that is so true. As u see now music is everywhere even in Muslim houses. Many muslims have T.Vs in their house. Music and T.V is connected. if there is T.V then there is music.
May ALLAH guide us in the straight path, inshallah, ameen ameen ameen !!!!

Mar1
06-11-2006, 08:57 PM
masheAllah to you to and welcome to you and to me in our 1st day here :-)

snakelegs
06-11-2006, 09:15 PM
I don't know wheter you should judge someones choices by the criteria of him being good. I can imagen good people doing things they shouldn't. At the same time bad peopel can do good things. Life isn't that black-and-white. There are indeed many muslims who listen to music and who see no harm in that. However as muslims we are not to implement rules by our personal preferance or by our personal judgement of what is good and bad. We are to follow the guidelines of our religion and try and seek source (verse of Qur'an or hadeeth of the prophet) to determine what is accepted and not.

point taken.

I thikn our points of views aer then quite close to eachother.
Fair enough. However I am curious about this. Could you elaborate on that?

this type of thing is almost impossible to put in words. but yes, i think it does influence my actions throughout the day because i am more aware of things than i was before. as you can see, i'm agnostic, but before i was pretty indifferent as to whether there is a god or not and now i feel sure there is indeed.
What kind of music has this effect on you? Why do you reckon it has?
qawwali music (sufi devotional music from pakistan/india.) i don't know why it has this effect, but it touches my soul in a way that has never happened before.
Do you sometimes think it's dangerous to rely on music (=entertainement) to guide your religious awareness?
no, i never think it's dangerous to rely on music to guide my religious awareness because it in itself causes me to find guides elsewhere also.
Do you think this will eventually develop into soemthing else?
like what?
Does this influence your actions throughout the day?
see above.
hope i've made some sense.

snakelegs
06-11-2006, 09:20 PM
For those of you who may be interested, I do plan to present a synthesis of opinions and arguments in favor of music- real research, not Sheikh Google.
Asalaamu alaikum.
i would be very interested!
i often get the impression that there is a specific official "party" line on this forum - like they have a monopoly on The One And Only Truth On The One And True Religion. and i am aware that there is not only one opinion on some subjects. if i didn't know anything else and only came here to learn about islam, i would be horrified!
oooops - hope i don't get shot lol!

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-11-2006, 09:33 PM

As is the case with those who follow their desires and not accept the clear Truth that comes directly from the Quran and the Sunnah, they attack the person who is telling them that with basless accusations.

I noticed NJUSA mentioned "Sheikh Google". I dont think youve read this:

I doubt the author of the book Abu Bilal Mustafa Al-Kanadi used google in writing that, or i even doubt such a deep refutation against those who beleive music is permissible can be written using Google. Perhaps it would do good if those in favor of the permissibility of music read that.

Second, over and over Ive asked you not to bring sectarianism into discussions NJUSA, but it seems you are in favor of that. That qualifies for a repeat warning.

The Prophet (Allah's peace and blessings be upon him) said, "There will be people from my Ummah who will seek to make lawful: fornication, the wearing of silk, wine-drinking and the use of musical instruments [ma'aazif].(Bukhari)

I think this Hadith should aspire fear of Allah in the hearts of those that have Iman, and keep in mind the verses of the Quran that say "Obey Allah and His Messenger".

65. But no, by your Lord, they can have no Faith, until they make you (O Muhammad ) judge in all disputes between them, and find in themselves no resistance against your decisions, and accept (them) with full submission.

Allah negates Iman of the person that doesnt
1) take the Messenger as his Judge,
2)One who finds resistance in the Messenger's Decision,
3) that the Messenger's judgement has to be accepted with full submission.

These verses and the hadith are clear as daylight. One can choose to accept them or deny them as he wills.

With that, :threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.