Mitosis, cell division.

Any way of speeding up the process?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
06-07-2006, 05:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
Mitosis, cell division.

Any way of speeding up the process?
What type of cells are you studying? With most I am aware of the actual rate can't be speed up, but the frequency of division can be increased with genle heat and a concentration of nutrients. Simple speeding up of metabolic rate.

Woodrow
06-07-2006, 05:50 AM
I just did a quick google search. Long time I been in a bio lab. I just learned that it can be speeded up with various catalysts, but I could not find any specific catalysts for any specific cell type.

The Ruler
06-07-2006, 06:42 PM
:sl:

mitosis only happens in plant cells....its a natural process lyk meiosis....i dnt fink der cud b anyfin ta speed it up cuz i dnt fink dat der is ay fink dat cud speed up a cell division except complex scientific thingies....but ill v a think n let u no da possible ways u cud speed it up if der r any dat is :D

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
submit
06-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Maybe you could increase the amount of water?

Mitosis is the diffusion of water from a higher concentration to a lower concentration. So if you have more water outside the leaf or whatever you are using, you could increase concentration and therefore maybe the rate of reaction?
Or won't that work?

afriend
06-07-2006, 07:08 PM
hmmm....

JazakAllah for your replies brothers and sister.

It looks like it's back to the drawing board for me!

Woodrow
06-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Possibly all you need to know about meitosis:

http://plaza.ufl.edu/alallen/pgl/mod...ule/index.html

afriend
06-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Wow that link was cooolll!!!!

So many animations...:thumbs_up

JazakAllah khair brother!

Woodrow
06-07-2006, 07:26 PM
A'Afwan Akhi

The Ruler
06-07-2006, 09:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by submit
Maybe you could increase the amount of water?

Mitosis is the diffusion of water from a higher concentration to a lower concentration. So if you have more water outside the leaf or whatever you are using, you could increase concentration and therefore maybe the rate of reaction?
Or won't that work?
er....i fink ur talkin bout osmosis der....:? :?....

hmm....ok dis is wat i concluded wen i studied mitosis...

its the cell division wer one cell produces two genetically identical cells....this happens in plant cells as well as human cells such as skin cells am i right :?...i really dunno cuz that was all my idea ok....anyway....you see when a plant is lacking a good environment, it does grow well....which means that the cell division does not occur normally in that situation. in that case, for mitosis to occur, you need the right temperature and the right environment. if you are doin an experiment, id suggest that your independant variable be the temperature; as dats all i can think of now.

^ i wrote that from the top of my head so there is no doubt i could be wrong but then again i tried to help :)

afriend
06-07-2006, 09:16 PM
lol MashAllah ur really bright!

Cell division takes place in both humans and plants...

I was also thinking that environment and temperature made a large difference in cell division....

so change environments and temperature, supposedly to warmer places?

The Ruler
06-07-2006, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by iky
lol MashAllah ur really bright!
uh-huh dnt fink so :rollseyes but am happy wid wat iv got :)

format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
so change environments and temperature, supposedly to warmer places?
yes xactly....is it an experiment for ur coursewrk or sumtin :?

afriend
06-07-2006, 09:24 PM
lol

well...;D this is a bit linked to science, we just started biology, this has hardly anything to do with it, perhaps might learn a few extra things...

I've heard cell division is what makes you grow....I think u might have gotten the picture by now...LOL

The Ruler
06-07-2006, 09:25 PM
^ oh ryt i geddit....:)....no probs :)

afriend
06-07-2006, 09:26 PM
Hopefully a successful trip to America (which is piping hot at the moment) will change the rate of mitosis in my cells, change of environment and temperatures..LOL

JazakAllah Khair sister :thumbs_up

:sl:

strider
06-07-2006, 09:43 PM
Assalamu alaikum

Looks like majority of information on mitosis has been covered. It shall come under Inheritance and Selection. :)

Ma'assalama

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.