/* */

PDA

View Full Version : brother/ sister symbols

glo
06-07-2006, 07:46 PM
It may be just me, but I find the little brother/ sister symbols in the profiles rather confusing.
The Muslims ones are very clear, but the non-Muslim ones are not. A good reason for wearing a hijab or growing a beard! ;D

Any chance you can choose clearer gender symbols. I mean, that woman holding the mirror of Venus is just daft! :rollseyes

Peace

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
06-07-2006, 08:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
It may be just me, but I find the little brother/ sister symbols in the profiles rather confusing.
The Muslims ones are very clear, but the non-Muslim ones are not. A good reason for wearing a hijab or growing a beard! ;D

Any chance you can choose clearer gender symbols. I mean, that woman holding the mirror of Venus is just daft! :rollseyes

Peace
asalaamu alaikum,

LOL at Venus holding a mirror. That isn't a mirror, That is the classical universal symbol for female. a O on top of a +

Halima
06-07-2006, 09:40 PM
:sl:

Perhaps you are suggesting that we change the image of the 'brother/sister' of humanity to a different image?

Needless to say..there are only 5 options from which to choose from and all of them are particular in my opinion..

1) Brother in Islam

2) Sister in Islam

both of which are clear in image..

and then you have only 3 left

3)Sister in Humanity---other religion

4) Brother in Humanity----other religion

last one if you don't anyone else to know your religion u can just pick "disclosed"

good suggestion though.

snakelegs
06-08-2006, 02:05 AM
the one with the arrow is the universal symbol for male

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syilla
06-08-2006, 02:18 AM
maybe the girl should have a longer hair...and have flowers on it.

and the boy should have a hat or something.

tabligh
06-08-2006, 02:22 AM
gd points

syilla
06-08-2006, 02:29 AM
hehehe... i like the current symbols.

that only differentiate by colours.

Woodrow
06-08-2006, 03:45 AM
MALE:

FEMALE:

EDIT; After looking over the icons I posted, I felt that some had too many human aspects, even tho they were cartoon charecters, so I removed them

F.Y.
06-08-2006, 04:55 AM
^they are very cute icons brother Woodrow. As people have said above glo, the symbols for sister/brother in humanity are actually universal...I think.

Peace

NahidSarvy
06-08-2006, 06:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
LOL at Venus holding a mirror. That isn't a mirror, That is the classical universal symbol for female. a O on top of a +
That "classical symbol" is a pictogram (stylised picture) of the mirror of the goddess Venus/Aphrodite. And the one for male is the spear and shield of Mars/Ares.

Just FYI.

Woodrow
06-08-2006, 06:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NahidSarvy
That "classical symbol" is a pictogram (stylised picture) of the mirror of the goddess Venus/Aphrodite. And the one for male is the spear and shield of Mars/Ares.

Just FYI.
Shukrahn Nahid Sarvy,

I had known that it represented females for as long as I can remember and I knew it had either Greek or Roman origins, I had never asked as to exactly what it was supposed to be. In my own thinking I thought it might have been borrowed by the Greeks from the Egyptian Ankh, but never could figure out how it would have come to represent females.

glo
06-08-2006, 07:37 AM
asalaamu alaikum,

I know that it's the universal symbol for female. :)

It is based on the goddess Venus. I always understood that the symbol represents her mirror.
This is what I found in Wikipedia:
Its symbol is the sign also used in biology for the female sex, a stylized representation of the goddess Venus's hand mirror: a circle with a small cross underneath (Unicode: ♀).
Peace.

glo
06-08-2006, 07:38 AM
MALE:

FEMALE:

EDIT; After looking over the icons I posted, I felt that some had too many human aspects, even tho they were cartoon charecters, so I removed them
Tee hee ... now we are getting somewhere! ;D

glo
06-08-2006, 07:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Hi,

Hmmm, I actually thought these symbols were recognised everywhere :?
Yes, they are.
It's just that I have noticed when people address each other, there often seems to be some bro/ sis confusion ...
I can only assume that it's due to people either not looking at the symbols, or not recognising them. :rollseyes

north_malaysian
06-08-2006, 08:56 AM
mickey and minnie for non muslims?

Why? :p

SirZubair
06-08-2006, 11:36 AM
* I reckon they need to be updated.

The brothers one need a bushier beard,and the sisters one needs to have its face completly covered !

* = Not.

aljawaad
06-08-2006, 12:06 PM
And the colour too shud be changed.

P.S They look like the Simpsons.:p
Lol:D was nly messing i find 'em gud.

Halima
06-08-2006, 12:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zAk
^post wasted...
Yeah, just like your username

MALE:

FEMALE:

ohhhh I like that! :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.