/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Muslims Say Alhamdulillah After Sneezing?

BlissfullyJaded
05-31-2005, 08:59 PM
:sl:

Thought it was interesting to share. :) Can't remember this being posted, but sorry if it has!

Praise be to Allaah.

It was proven in the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah likes the act of sneezing and dislikes the act of yawning, so if any one of you sneezes and praises Allaah (says “al-hamdu Lillaah”), it is a duty on every Muslim who hears him to say to him, “Yarhamuk Allaah (may Allaah have mercy on you).” As for yawning, it is from the Shaytaan, so if any of you feels the urge to yawn, he should suppress it as much as he can, for when any one of you yawns, the Shaytaan laughs at him.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 10/505)

It was also reported from Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If any one of you sneezes, let him say ‘Al-hamdu Lillaah,’ and let his brother or his companion say, ‘Yarhamuk Allaah.’ And if he says to him, ‘Yarhamuk Allaah,’ let him say, ‘Yahdeekum Allaahu wa yusliha baalakum (May Allaah guide you and correct your thinking).’” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 10/502)

Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that two men sneezed in the presence of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), who said “Yarhamuk Allaah” to one of them, but not to the other. The one to whom he did not say it said: “So and so sneezed, and you said ‘Yarhamuk Allaah’ to him; I sneezed but you did not say it to me.” He said, “He praised Allaah (said ‘al-hamdu Lillaah’) and you did not.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 10/504)

Abu Moosa al-Ash’ari reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When one of you sneezes and praises Allaah, then say ‘Yarhamuk Allaah’ to him, but if he does not praise Allaah then do not say it.” (Reported by Muslim 2992)

Sneezing brings a person the blessing of relief by releasing vapours that were trapped in the head which, if they were to remain there, would cause him pain and sickness. For this reason, Islam tells him to praise Allaah for this blessing and for the fact that his body is still intact after this jolt that shook him like an earthquake… for sneezing causes a disturbing movement in the body… It was said (concerning the origin of the word “tashmeet” [which is translated here as “saying ‘yarhamuk Allaah’, but the original meaning is to tell someone to rejoice at another’s ‘misfortune’]): this is telling him to feel joyful because he has annoyed the Shaytaan by praising Allaah for the blessing of sneezing and its association with things that Allaah likes. When a person mentions Allaah and praises Him, this annoys the Shaytaan in several ways, for example: the act of sneezing itself, which Allaah likes; his praising Allaah for it; the Muslims praying for mercy for him; and his prayer for them to be guided. All of this annoys the Shaytaan and makes him upset, so the believer is told to rejoice over this annoyance of his enemy. Praying for mercy for the one who sneezes is called tashmeet because it implies that he should rejoice over the annoyance of his enemy. This is a good meaning which people should bear in mind when they sneeze or say ‘yarhamuk Allaah’ to one who sneezes, and they should appreciate the blessing of sneezing for the body and mind, and understand why Allaah likes it. Praise be to Allaah as is His due for He is the Most Generous and Majestic.

The scholar Ibn Muflih al-Hanbali (may Allaah have mercy on him) reported that Imaam Ibn Hubayrah said: “Al-Raazi reported from some doctors: sneezing is not a sign of the onset of sickness, unless it is accompanied by catarrh.” Ibn Hubayrah said: “If a person sneezes, this is an indication of good health, sound digestion and physical strength, so he should praise Allaah. This is why the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded us to praise Allaah.”

It is also important to know that the Muslim should submit to the texts and act in accordance with them, without trying too hard to understand precisely why a text commands or forbids something. He should believe that Allaah is the Wise and Aware, Who doe not prescribe anything for His slaves unless it is in their best interests, in this world and the next, even though it may not cross their minds and some people may understand part of the wisdom behind it whilst others will never know. The Muslim’s basic rule is to follow the commands, and if he has some knowledge of the reason behind the commands, then praise be to Allaah.

And Allaah knows best.

For further details on the rules concerning sneezing, see: Al-Aadaab al-Shara’iyyah by Ibn Muflih, 2/334; Zaad al-Ma’aad by Ibn al-Qayyim, 2/438; Ghadhaa’ al-Albaab by al-Safaareeni, 1/441

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)

Source

Ma'salaamah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
z5a0b4
06-08-2006, 12:44 AM
What do you say when someone else sneezes because i use to said Alhumdilla, but then i heard that it is something else.

syilla
06-08-2006, 12:52 AM
alhamdullillah if we sneeze...

if we heard others sneeze we would say yarhamkallah or yarhamkillah

Najiullah
06-08-2006, 12:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
alhamdullillah if we sneeze...

if we heard others sneeze we would say yarhamkallah or yarhamkillah
exactly :)

Alhamdullillah if we Sneeze

if others Sneeze Yarhamkallah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
BlissfullyJaded
06-08-2006, 05:29 AM

It was reported from Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If any one of you sneezes, let him say ‘Al-hamdu Lillaah,’ and let his brother or his companion say, ‘Yarhamuk Allaah.’ And if he says to him, ‘Yarhamuk Allaah,’ let him say, ‘Yahdeekum Allaahu wa yusliha baalakum (May Allaah guide you and correct your thinking).’” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 10/502)

However, if a person does not say Alhamdulillah, it is not a duty for anyone else to say yarhamukullah to him/her. :)

Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that two men sneezed in the presence of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), who said “Yarhamuk Allaah” to one of them, but not to the other.
The one to whom he did not say it said: “So and so sneezed, and you said ‘Yarhamuk Allaah’ to him; I sneezed but you did not say it to me.” He said, “He praised Allaah (said ‘al-hamdu Lillaah’) and you did not.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 10/504)

z5a0b4
06-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Thanks, Yarhamkallah is what i heard them say

Pk_#2
06-08-2006, 11:21 PM
JAZAKHALA FOR DAT :)

family
06-09-2006, 12:06 AM
if you sneeze you say alhumdulliah and the person close to you would say yarhamakullah
wasalaam

Umm Yoosuf
06-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Threads merged :)

shanu
06-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Assalamu alaikum
i have a question
i always sneeze when im praying
should i say Alhamdulillah(praise be to Allah) in the prayer mat or wait till i pray finish?

MusLiM 4 LiFe
06-28-2006, 09:01 PM
so wot do u do wen u yawn? do u say something like "i seek refuge in Allah from the accursed Shaitaan"? :? i always yawm and my eyes water loadzzz.. dunno y tho.. il try 2 supress my yawnin! :)

IbnAbdulHakim
06-28-2006, 09:12 PM
:salamext:

Wen i yawn i say:

"Lawhawla wala quwwata illa billah"

"there is no power but Allah"

:wasalamex

MusLiM 4 LiFe
07-03-2006, 05:38 PM
ohhh oki den..

AvarAllahNoor
07-03-2006, 06:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Labibah
“Allaah likes the act of sneezing and dislikes the act of yawning
Why's that then?

------
07-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Coz yawning is from the Satan....or something like that.

IbnAbdulHakim
07-03-2006, 07:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Why's that then?
SAHIH MUSLIM

Book 042, Number 7129:
Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: The yawning as from the devil. So when one of you yawns he should try to restrain it as far as it lies in his power.

------
07-04-2006, 10:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
SAHIH MUSLIM

Book 042, Number 7129:
Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: The yawning as from the devil. So when one of you yawns he should try to restrain it as far as it lies in his power.

Jazakallah Khair Akhee thats the hadith i was lookin for!

:w:

Abdul-Raouf
07-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Do any one know the speed of a sneeze....(speed with which air comes out)???

07-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Errmm... i read it at a science museum once but i'v 4gotten now... But it's really fast.:)

IbnAbdulHakim
07-04-2006, 02:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muzammil
all i kno is if u try to keep ur eyes open at the same time sumthin veeery bad will happeN!

MusLiM 4 LiFe
07-04-2006, 05:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
all i kno is if u try to keep ur eyes open at the same time sumthin veeery bad will happeN!

ur organs will fly outa ur nose and ur eyes wil pop out.. :giggling: joke.. bad joke.. :rollseyes lol +o(

n 2 da otha sis: umm.. y wud u wana no da speed sis :? its fast.. yup very.. ur heart misses a beat dunt it :rollseyes

muslim_friend
07-04-2006, 05:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MusLiM 4 LiFe
ur organs will fly outa ur nose and ur eyes wil pop out.. :giggling: joke.. bad joke.. :rollseyes lol +o(
It isn't a joke, that's true. Eyeballs pop out.. :offended: And once my friend challenged me to sneeze with my eyes open. I tried hard. Thank Allah i didn't succeed.. :happy:

n 2 da otha sis: umm.. y wud u wana no da speed sis :? its fast.. yup very.. ur heart misses a beat dunt it :rollseyes
I read somewhere on this forum that it's a hundred kmph or was it mph? :rollseyes

MusLiM 4 LiFe
07-04-2006, 05:20 PM
ohh.. nah i meant the bit about ur organs flyin out of ur nose.. dat woz a joke :| i hopeeee!

muslim_friend
07-04-2006, 05:26 PM
ohh.. nah i meant the bit about ur organs flyin out of ur nose.. dat woz a joke :| i hopeeee!
Lol. Of course it was.. ;D .. i was referring to the eyeballs only..

MusLiM 4 LiFe
07-04-2006, 05:29 PM
lol oooki dtz all clear now hehe

IbnAbdulHakim
07-04-2006, 07:51 PM
lol indeed, no seriously tho i heard the effect is kinda the same as one who drowns, guess what happens to those ! Somethin veeery painful... lol instant but painful!

sweetbanana86
07-05-2006, 02:18 AM
Marsh'allah and it never actually occur to me what my body goes through for that split second i spent sneezing , someone once told me your heart stops beating for that split second but i never did find out if that was the truth, so i very glad you post this quite intersting information

Looking4Peace
07-05-2006, 02:22 AM
I yawn alot from extreme insomnia but after some coffee or black tea im ok.

Thanaa
07-06-2006, 06:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by najiullah
exactly :)

Alhamdullillah if we Sneeze

if others Sneeze Yarhamkallah
I never knew you had to say either of those things...
You learn a new thing every day!

adeeb
07-11-2006, 02:52 PM
as i know, when we are muslims sneezing, say alhamdulillah... in medical the heart stop beating when sneezing, coz sneeze is to make our nose clear. someone who hear someone sneez and then say alhamdulillah, must say yarhamkallah and the one that sneeze reply yahdikumullah.

saytan will turn in to your body when yawning, so in islam you must close your mouth with your hand when youre yawning and after that say audzubillahiminasyaitanirrajiim. to protect you from saythan.

it's different case when we open our mouth for eat.

that's all
if this wrong and you want to fix it, that will be okay!
Allah knows best!

Looking4Peace
07-12-2006, 01:32 AM
very interesting, i do close my mouth when yawning i close my mouth with everything like that even chewing, i was taught good manners:happy:

imrano
07-15-2006, 08:32 AM
I herard or read, i don't know where, that when Allah introduced the soul in the Adam Body he sneezed.

Fishman
07-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Metaphorically, the idea that when you sneeze the devil is thrown out is true, because when you sneeze, it throws out millions of potentially dangerous germs from your nose.

So is the one about yawning, because it means that you are tired, and less able to do things.

I don't know if it is meant to be metaphorical though.
:w:

Asper
11-02-2007, 09:11 PM

Recently I was in class during school when a fellow brother who is in my class had sneezed. My teacher, who is christian as far as I know, was about to say "god bless you" (for those of you who do not know, in america, it's typically good manners to say "god bless you" after one sneezes), but stopped himself and asked the brother "hmm.. Is there something different to say to an arabian who sneezes?" He of course was referring to muslims, but in my school, the muslim population is, for the most part, yemeni. Save for myself and a few of bosnian decent. The brother had said yes, but really didn't go into what, and my teacher did not delve in further into it for one reason or another.

I myself was not aware of such, and never got the chance to ask the brother as to what it was one says. If anyone, insha'allah, could inform me, I would most appreciate it so that in the near future insha'allah i will be able to follow such manners, because I am a person who sneezes quite a bit! =)

Umm Yoosuf
11-04-2007, 08:22 AM
Merges merged.

Wa Alaikumussalaam Wa Rahmatulaah Br Asper,

Insha Allah this should answer your question:

It was reported from Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If any one of you sneezes, let him say ‘Al-hamdu Lillaah,’ and let his brother or his companion say, ‘Yarhamuk Allaah.’ And if he says to him, ‘Yarhamuk Allaah,’ let him say, ‘Yahdeekum Allaahu wa yusliha baalakum (May Allaah guide you and correct your thinking).’” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 10/502)

However, if a person does not say Alhamdulillah, it is not a duty for anyone else to say yarhamukullah to him/her.

Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that two men sneezed in the presence of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), who said “Yarhamuk Allaah” to one of them, but not to the other.
The one to whom he did not say it said: “So and so sneezed, and you said ‘Yarhamuk Allaah’ to him; I sneezed but you did not say it to me.” He said, “He praised Allaah (said ‘al-hamdu Lillaah’) and you did not.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 10/504)

Asper
11-04-2007, 03:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah
Merges merged.

Wa Alaikumussalaam Wa Rahmatulaah Br Asper,

Insha Allah this should answer your question:

جزاك اللهُ خيراً Al-Mu-minah and for for those else who knew of the answer :D

*~Sofia~*
11-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Salams,

Something about the sneezing topic.. I was listening to some lectures 'Stories of the prophet' by Anwar awlaki and I was on the first cd, prophet Adam (as) and he said that when Allah (swt) first created adam (as) he was hollow and then Allah (swt) blew into him..

well when Adam (as) became alive, he sneezed and the first thing he said was Alhamdulillah. And then Allah (swt) said Yarhakamullah. So he was blessed from the beginning by Allah.. if u know what I mean..

Anyway just thought I'd share that with you guys.. coz when I learnt that I was like ---> :D lol

w'salam

------
11-08-2007, 09:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul-Raouf

THE FASTEST RECORDED SNEEZE WAS 102 MILES PER HOUR. THE AVERAGE SPEED OF YOUR SNEEZE IS 90 MPH. THIS MEANS YOUR LIQUIDS ARE EXPELLED OUT OF YOUR BODY FASTER THAN A SPEEDING CAR, WELL NOT ALL SPEEDING CARS, ONLY THE ONES THAT GO LESS THAN 100 MILES PER HOUR.

Source

------
05-27-2008, 02:51 PM

Praise be to Allaah.

It was proven in the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah likes the act of sneezing and dislikes the act of yawning, so if any one of you sneezes and praises Allaah (says “al-hamdu Lillaah”), it is a duty on every Muslim who hears him to say to him, “Yarhamuk Allaah (may Allaah have mercy on you).” As for yawning, it is from the Shaytaan, so if any of you feels the urge to yawn, he should suppress it as much as he can, for when any one of you yawns, the Shaytaan laughs at him.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 10/505)

It was also reported from Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If any one of you sneezes, let him say ‘Al-hamdu Lillaah,’ and let his brother or his companion say, ‘Yarhamuk Allaah.’ And if he says to him, ‘Yarhamuk Allaah,’ let him say, ‘Yahdeekum Allaahu wa yusliha baalakum (May Allaah guide you and correct your thinking).’” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 10/502)

Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that two men sneezed in the presence of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), who said “Yarhamuk Allaah” to one of them, but not to the other. The one to whom he did not say it said: “So and so sneezed, and you said ‘Yarhamuk Allaah’ to him; I sneezed but you did not say it to me.” He said, “He praised Allaah (said ‘al-hamdu Lillaah’) and you did not.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 10/504)

Abu Moosa al-Ash’ari reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When one of you sneezes and praises Allaah, then say ‘Yarhamuk Allaah’ to him, but if he does not praise Allaah then do not say it.” (Reported by Muslim 2992)

Sneezing brings a person the blessing of relief by releasing vapours that were trapped in the head which, if they were to remain there, would cause him pain and sickness. For this reason, Islam tells him to praise Allaah for this blessing and for the fact that his body is still intact after this jolt that shook him like an earthquake… for sneezing causes a disturbing movement in the body… It was said (concerning the origin of the word “tashmeet” [which is translated here as “saying ‘yarhamuk Allaah’, but the original meaning is to tell someone to rejoice at another’s ‘misfortune’]): this is telling him to feel joyful because he has annoyed the Shaytaan by praising Allaah for the blessing of sneezing and its association with things that Allaah likes. When a person mentions Allaah and praises Him, this annoys the Shaytaan in several ways, for example: the act of sneezing itself, which Allaah likes; his praising Allaah for it; the Muslims praying for mercy for him; and his prayer for them to be guided. All of this annoys the Shaytaan and makes him upset, so the believer is told to rejoice over this annoyance of his enemy. Praying for mercy for the one who sneezes is called tashmeet because it implies that he should rejoice over the annoyance of his enemy. This is a good meaning which people should bear in mind when they sneeze or say ‘yarhamuk Allaah’ to one who sneezes, and they should appreciate the blessing of sneezing for the body and mind, and understand why Allaah likes it. Praise be to Allaah as is His due for He is the Most Generous and Majestic.

The scholar Ibn Muflih al-Hanbali (may Allaah have mercy on him) reported that Imaam Ibn Hubayrah said: “Al-Raazi reported from some doctors: sneezing is not a sign of the onset of sickness, unless it is accompanied by catarrh.” Ibn Hubayrah said: “If a person sneezes, this is an indication of good health, sound digestion and physical strength, so he should praise Allaah. This is why the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded us to praise Allaah.”

It is also important to know that the Muslim should submit to the texts and act in accordance with them, without trying too hard to understand precisely why a text commands or forbids something. He should believe that Allaah is the Wise and Aware, Who does not prescribe anything for His slaves unless it is in their best interests, in this world and the next, even though it may not cross their minds and some people may understand part of the wisdom behind it whilst others will never know. The Muslim’s basic rule is to follow the commands, and if he has some knowledge of the reason behind the commands, then praise be to Allaah.

And Allaah knows best.

For further details on the rules concerning sneezing, see: Al-Aadaab al-Shara’iyyah by Ibn Muflih, 2/334; Zaad al-Ma’aad by Ibn al-Qayyim, 2/438; Ghadhaa’ al-Albaab by al-Safaareeni, 1/441

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)

-------------

Source

Nerd
05-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Sneezing in short is a 3 way attack on Satan:

-the act of sneezing itself, which Allaah likes;
-his praising Allaah for it;
-the Muslims praying for mercy for him; and his prayer for them to be guided.

= Annoys the Shaytaan and makes him upset. Thank you for this information sister serene :)

Danah
05-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Jazaki allah khair
masha allah our deen is full of khair, even the small actions like this have reward behind them

cute123
05-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Jazakallah Khair sis

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.