/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Favourite writer/ Favourite books

Green Bird
04-26-2005, 05:18 PM
Recommend you're favourite books:

One of mine has to be The autobiography of Malcolm X-a must read! :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Danish
04-26-2005, 08:24 PM
:sl:
Non Islamic Book: LORD OF THE RINGS!!!
Islamic Book: Donna many. e.g. Muhammed the Last Prophet by Sayyed Abul Hasan

Far7an
04-26-2005, 08:26 PM
The only fictional books I have read were those at school.

Brother_Mujahid
04-26-2005, 08:26 PM
Khalid bin waleed the sword of Allah........ a fantastic role model to all muslims, a great read too.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Bint Abdusattar
04-26-2005, 09:50 PM

Muhammed by Martin Lings. The best seerah book that i've read. Listen to the hamza Yusuf's audio with it - his commentary and explanations are absolutely excellent.
As for non fiction books - no time for them as time is wealth that melts away.

:w:

:D SMILE ALLAH LOVES YOU :D

Saif
04-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Yeah khalid bin waleed is amazing also "The army of madinah in Kashmir"

S_87
04-28-2005, 11:02 AM
if u mean non islamic books then i liked this book called
princess by jean sassons..its bout a saudi princess ..fahds niece and she tolf this j.sassons o write
actually its a lot of lies but its good :confused:

Z
04-28-2005, 11:13 AM
Asalamu Alaikum

Is it fiction amani?

I've never honestly read an Islamic book, never from cover to cover. But I have read many graphic design, typography, photography etc. books from cover to cover. Just great stuff to read and you learn a lot too from the old school'ers!

I find the Quraan is the only thing I need to read other than fiction and non-fiction books. The rest of the Islamic books I don't read because I've been told if you read something and don't act upon it, you'll be held account. So it's best if you read less and act upon what you already know first. :confused:

Uthman
04-28-2005, 03:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danish
Non Islamic Book: LORD OF THE RINGS!!!
Same here! Same here! Same here! I love it! I love it! It was my first love!

Islamic book: Human nature in the light of science by this author. :)

MetSudaisTwice
04-28-2005, 03:14 PM
i just love reading different authors writing about the lifestory of Prophet Muhammad (SAW)

abdurrazak
04-28-2005, 05:41 PM
Harry Potter !!!!

abdurrazak
04-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Harry Potter Beats All Or Arthemis Fowl

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-28-2005, 06:02 PM
well ill have to say the Quran is above all else.

Far7an
04-28-2005, 06:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ahmed687
well ill have to say the Quran is above all else.
Alhamdulillah, I could not have put it better myself :)

BlissfullyJaded
04-28-2005, 06:41 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by amani
if u mean non islamic books then i liked this book called
princess by jean sassons..its bout a saudi princess ..fahds niece and she tolf this j.sassons o write
actually its a lot of lies but its good :confused:
Erghhhh...! I hated that book.. :mad: I'm serious, that princess was such a ditz, and I hated it when she quoted a hadith. :mad: Another annoying book, that stupid thing Carmen bin Laden wrote. :mad: Only read a few pages from that one tho. Stupid women liberators..

Uh, yeh, favorite book non Islamic book... To Kill a Mockingbird. ;D And Jane Eyre. :p

Without doubt the best Islamic book is the Quran. :love:

Far7an
04-28-2005, 06:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mm_ca04
And Jane Eyre. :p
Bleh, I hated that

BlissfullyJaded
04-28-2005, 06:56 PM

No duh...you're a guy.. Hope you did! :p Actually.. I agree, it was a boring book. ;D Just said it to see what you'll would say. (Serious, I do think it was boring...I skipped soo many pages. ;D)

Oliver Twist wasn't too bad... :)

S_87
04-28-2005, 07:21 PM
i used to read sweet valley when i was younger :-[

damsoo u know the second book in princess that was good :thumbs_up lol her own daughter became a `fundamentalist` ;D

Protected_Diamond
04-30-2005, 05:52 PM
1) naughts and crosses by malorie blackman-made me cry so sad :-[
2) refugee boy by benjamine zephanine :thumbs_up
3) candy by kevin brooks- a phat book :D
4) princess of arabia-4got the author but loved the book, read it a while back now :p
5) forbidden love- man 4got da author agian, but a deep novel which in recommend to all of you :D it's about a muslim girl who falls in love with this catholic boy and the story is based in jorden an islamic country at the time :)

that's all i cna remember now ;)

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-30-2005, 05:54 PM
i have to repaeat my self:) the Quran is above all else:)

Protected_Diamond
04-30-2005, 05:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ahmed687
i have to repaeat my self:) the Quran is above all else:)
true :sister:

Ra`eesah
04-30-2005, 05:59 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

After The Quran (duhhhhhhhhhhhh) my fav book is the Dictionary.... its sooooo cool!!!
wallahi i am serious

Ibn Syed
04-30-2005, 05:59 PM
Correct br. Ahmed

Ibn Syed
04-30-2005, 06:00 PM
You actually read the dictionary????

Ra`eesah
04-30-2005, 06:01 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

i finnished it at the age of 10.....
but of course i forgot everything i read...

Ibn Syed
04-30-2005, 06:05 PM
That's good for you. I am a super reader and I don't read any dull books. My favorite book after the Qur'an are the stories of the sahaba and the battles that took place when the ideal caliphs were still around.

h1jabi_sista
04-30-2005, 06:09 PM

i cant believe you read the dictionary...thats so kool, u must have a wicked vocabulary. i try having a new word to say each week but i hardly remember to use it :)

this week was providence! meaning luck and last week was perpetual meaning forever! :)

the quran by far is the best book of all alhamdulilah. reading it in english to me is really powerful subhanallah.

harun yahya has some good books. Never plead Ignorance and Jesus will Return are very good mashallah. :thumbs_up

Ibn Syed
04-30-2005, 06:11 PM
If you like Harun Yahya's books there is a thread about him somewhere on this forum but I forgot where. I'll check it.

Ibn Syed
04-30-2005, 06:12 PM
It is in refutation forum. Called Harun Yahya's Deviation.

Far7an
04-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Here is the link

h1jabi_sista
04-30-2005, 06:18 PM
awwww im sad now :(

jazakallah for the links

Far7an
04-30-2005, 06:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by h1jabi_sista
awwww im sad now :(

jazakallah for the links

No need to be, he still has some really good books, but we need to be aware of those issues :)

SalafiFemaleJih
04-30-2005, 06:41 PM
my favourite books are Qu'ran(obviously),part 1 and part 2 of Riyadh-us-saliheen :)

walaikum salaam wr wb.

Uthman
04-30-2005, 06:51 PM

Of course the Qur'an is above all else! Goes without saying. :) Jazak'Allah khair for reminding us brother Ahmed ;)

Z
04-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

I don't like to think of the Quraan as a book.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-30-2005, 07:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kerned Indian
Asalamu Alaikum

I don't like to think of the Quraan as a book.
HUH????

then what???

Z
04-30-2005, 07:29 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

I think the Quraan is more than a book.

When you read the hadith or any other Islamic book, you feel the same as reading James and the Giant Peach. However, when you read the Quraan, you feel like your doing something more than just reading. Like speaking (almost), with a being unknown to you. You feel me?

Far7an
04-30-2005, 07:32 PM
Subhanallah nicely put brother KI

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-30-2005, 07:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kerned Indian
Asalamu Alaikum

I think the Quraan is more than a book.

When you read the hadith or any other Islamic book, you feel the same as reading James and the Giant Peach. However, when you read the Quraan, you feel like your doing something more than just reading. Like speaking (almost), with a being unknown to you. You feel me?

yes now that u explained it I have to agree with you completely. 100% correct bro:)

Z
04-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

...to you. You feel me?
You spoilt the mood now! :'(

You're supposed to say 'I'm feelin' you, dawg!'

ABDULLAH SAOOD
04-30-2005, 07:46 PM
Assalamo-alaikum-wa-rahmtullah-hey-wabrakatu

A great book I read recently was "Personal Narrative of a Pilgrimage to Al MAdinah & Mecca "- Richard Burton. Truly intriguing read, he is one of very few non-muslims to have done pilgrimage (undercover obviously) - he went in 1853 to mecca and medina and has in detail recorded his experiences during the journey. He successfully posed as a wandering dervish, gained admittance to holy kaabah and the raudha of the Prophet (Sallallah-ho-alaihi-wassalam). Read and see for yourself.

Another good book is the "Memories of the luminous City (Medina Munnawarah)" written by Dr Khalid Muhammed Hamid - its like a colour picture book with details of all the historical sites in Medina, Masjid Nabvi etc and narritive underneath the pictures explaining what everything is. I picked it up in Medina - very useful as you know what everything is when you visit Medina.

Wassalam
Br ABDULLAH

Noora_z3
05-01-2005, 01:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ABDULLAH SAOOD

A great book I read recently was "Personal Narrative of a Pilgrimage to Al MAdinah & Mecca "- Richard Burton.
Seems intresting, will try to get in hold of it.

well, i wont speak bout books i read long time ago, one book i read recently which is a bit old "Through the Narrow Gate" by Karen Armstrong", bibliography describin her experiance in a covenent in the process of becomin a Nun, which left before becomin a Num, an AMAZIN story...its intersting and a very touchy story....her struggel to find enlightment is inspirin.... :thumbs_up

The Ruler
05-15-2005, 08:34 PM

i dunno if this topic was eva posted in this forum..........:confused:
i was jus wonderin if any1 in this forum is a bookworm. i would rather say that im one of'em :-[ :-[

i jus want to know bout good writers and good books..doesnt matter if its a fiction or a novel or if its islamic either :)

if you like any books just post it in :D :)

to start off i'll talk 'bout my fav...........its Anthony Horowitz, book: Stormbreaker, Eagle Strike, Groosham Grange, the switch (still readin) b4 it was C.S. Lewis book: the complete chronicles of Narnia.

eager to know wats your fav book or writer :D :)

Z
05-15-2005, 08:39 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

Subhan Allah, I just finished Ark Angel! The sixth in the series. Anthony Horowitz is a very good author!

I would also recommened all of his other books, The Diamond brothers series.

Uthman
05-15-2005, 08:41 PM

I'm in the middle of Ark Angel now! :) I've read all the Diamond Brothers as well! :) :)

Khaldun
05-15-2005, 08:42 PM

subhanAllah Narnia it brings back memories...I have a few books that i read any body heared about "Aurian"?

Bint Abdusattar
05-15-2005, 08:42 PM

Not much of a fictional book reader - sorry.
One book i've just read that was excellent is Prification of the Heart by Hamza Yusuf - a book that has to be read by all.

Z
05-15-2005, 08:43 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

Ozzy, let me tell you, it's a flop. I didn't like the ending. By the way, what do you think of Kaspar? A complete freak!

Far7an
05-15-2005, 08:43 PM
Threads merged

Uthman
05-15-2005, 08:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul
Asalamu Alaikum

Ozzy, let me tell you, it's a flop. I didn't like the ending. By the way, what do you think of Kaspar? A complete freak!
Walaikumsalaam

I thought he died in Scorpia! I don't even want to guess what this ending will be like! Yeah Kaspar! Freaky! And gross! I mean, come on, it's a bit sad, isn't it? :brother::brother::brother:

ahm
05-15-2005, 08:57 PM

(non-fiction, I like sci-fi/fantasy)

Hidden Agenda by John Pilger (a must read)

Fiqh Al-Imam (a must read)

Rethinking Muslim Women and Hijab (a must read)

Z
05-15-2005, 09:38 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

Umm Ozzy, if you was in the middle of Ark Angel, then you would know he is not dead. No?

Uthman
05-15-2005, 09:51 PM

I know he isnt dead! I meant sad as in, you know . . . . the modern type of sad. . . . you know? :brother:

Z
05-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

No I don't, stop blaggin' kid!

Ibn Syed
05-15-2005, 10:47 PM
I am a bookworm. My favorite kitab other than the glorious Quran is: Commanders Of The Muslim Army(Among the Companions of the Prophet (pbuh) )
By:Mahmood Ahmad Ghadanfar
It's a great book and goes into detali.

Lateralus63
05-16-2005, 01:39 AM

Dan Brown

The Da Vinci Code.

Enough Said.

The Ruler
05-16-2005, 04:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tagrid

i dunno if this topic was eva posted in this forum..........:confused:
i was jus wonderin if any1 in this forum is a bookworm. i would rather say that im one of'em :-[ :-[

i jus want to know bout good writers and good books..doesnt matter if its a fiction or a novel or if its islamic either :)

if you like any books just post it in :D :)

to start off i'll talk 'bout my fav...........its Anthony Horowitz, book: Stormbreaker, Eagle Strike, Groosham Grange, the switch (still readin) b4 it was C.S. Lewis book: the complete chronicles of Narnia.

eager to know wats your fav book or writer :D :)

wait a minute...i thought i was postin a new thread....but how did it get here?:omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :confused: :confused: :confused: ??? ??? thats rrrrreeeeeeeeeaaaaalllllyyyyyyy confusin.

Wassalam

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-16-2005, 06:03 PM
The Quran without doubt :)

S_87
05-22-2005, 09:05 PM
currently reading umm name ??? sealed nectar
so nice :'(

its biography of Muhammed SAW :wub:

Bin Qasim
05-25-2005, 04:46 PM

Islamic: Quran no book can even try to match its standard

Non islamic: The Valley of Fear, The Sign of Four, A Study in Scarlet, the Hound of Baskervilles, The Advens. of Sherlock Holmes, and many more Sherlocknian short stories. I am a big fan of SH. Excellent read!! :thumbs_up anyone of u read it? :)

inklink98
05-27-2005, 10:53 PM
Unislamic books:To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee and Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
Islamic Books: This one philosophy book

inklink98
05-27-2005, 10:54 PM
I also liked the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons by dan brown

Danish
05-30-2005, 07:21 PM
Any1 read Riyad-us-Saliheen by Imam Nawawi?

mashallah. great read...has hadiths and then the commentary on them...not my fav book, but great anyway mashallah

Uthman
07-14-2005, 07:45 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by 350z
Asalamu Alaikum

No I don't, stop blaggin' kid!
hehe, when I said I thought he died in Scorpia I was on about Alex Rider. And when I said Kaspar is sad I meant sad as in Sado?

And has anyone read the curious incident of the dog in the night-time? I know the title sounds like a childrens book but it's actually really good. :D

mary
07-14-2005, 07:54 PM
I'd really like to recommend a book, which i was given as a gift, from my dad. It's sooo superb i read from it every day and it has absolutely everything. It's pretty much part of me.........

iTS CALLED 'key to the treasures of Jannah' and u can purchase from everymuslim.com

It has everything in English, followed by arabic and is very easy to read and understand. There is duas, surahs and commentary about significance of every islamic month and mch much more

Definetly look out for it if u dont have it.

take care :)

Bin Qasim
09-21-2005, 07:48 PM

Has anyone read his any novels?? He has written many I believe. Class Act!!! :thumbs_up

I read one only yet and reading his second one.

1. Children of the Alley
2. Midaq Alley

Has written these in Arabic I am reading the translation. Great Stuff!!!

any other book recommendations??

:w: :brother:

Muhammad
09-22-2005, 11:30 PM

Threads merged.

baby_muslimah15
09-24-2005, 09:00 PM
:love: ~~Salaamz,~~~ :love:

~~~~For those of you who like to read!!! What are you favorite books?? Islamic or non Islamic... Mines is ofcourse the Qur'aan and then the Great Woman of Islam...So plz post your favorite book. Wa-Salaamz~~~~ :)

Salah ud Deen
09-24-2005, 09:02 PM
1) Qur'an
2) Muhammad by Martin Lings
3) The Crusades through Arab Eyes by Ameen Maloof
4) Imperial Hubris: Why the West is losing the War on Terror by Anonymous

waji
09-25-2005, 04:32 AM
:sl: Aslam u Alikum
The books i like are
The Quran
"Rahekul Makhtoom" this book is on the life of Prophet

salam

Mainul_Islam
09-25-2005, 05:42 AM

my fav books:

1. Quraan
2. Translation of Quraan in English

:)

P.S. im not much of a reader...unless it comes to Islam!

Far7an
09-25-2005, 06:42 AM
Assalamu alaikum

Threads merged.

Ameeratul Layl
09-26-2005, 12:39 PM

Just want to ask:

Has anyone read the following books:

Nine parts of Desire
Princess
Desert Royal
Daughters Of Arabia

m3 salaam
:wilted_ro

S_87
09-26-2005, 01:32 PM

not nine parts of desire but the other three yup loads of times ;D

Ameeratul Layl
09-26-2005, 03:06 PM

Personally, wat did you think of the other books? I found it hard to believe a word that author (jean sasson) wrote. She is a yahoo, so....its not surprising.

m3 salaam :wilted_ro

S_87
09-26-2005, 03:14 PM
yh i believe half of it is lies and very exagerated but it still was a good read :lol:

though there may be some truth in what she says.. it is highly edited.

and whether she knows it or not she does attack islam :mad:

Umm Safiya
09-26-2005, 03:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl

Personally, wat did you think of the other books? I found it hard to believe a word that author (jean sasson) wrote. She is a yahoo, so....its not surprising.

m3 salaam :wilted_ro
whats a yahoo?

Ameeratul Layl
09-26-2005, 03:17 PM
yh i believe half of it is lies and very exagerated but it still was a good read :lol:

though there may be some truth in what she says.. it is highly edited.

and whether she knows it or not she does attack islam :mad:

I so agree. Between you and I. Did you read the bit about her wedding in Princess. I acnt believe she was so open.Dirty little so and so. ;D
I cant believe that she was so frustrated just bcuz her daughter,Amani.....was reading Quran. What a manic of a mother! ;D
m3 salaam

Umm Safiya
09-26-2005, 03:23 PM

ohhhhh thats what you're talking about.. i couldn't regognize the titles bcuz i didn't read them in english..
shes a little wack aint she?? shes hiding her drinking problems from her husband.. and yeah when she freaks bcuz her daughter starts taking islam seriously.. phew what a mom to have

Ameeratul Layl
09-26-2005, 03:27 PM

Yeah...sis. When I sed yahoo...I meant yahood (jew).

I like the thought of living in a palace though. :p
Of course, not with a family like that though.
m3 salaam

S_87
09-26-2005, 08:21 PM

yeh she calls her family religious .

but then she says their house is stocked with alchohol and when they go abroad they take off their hijabs like what the heck mannnnnnnnnn?

one up to Amani :thumbs_up ;D

BlissfullyJaded
09-26-2005, 08:29 PM

:-\

I hated that book. Okay, it was good for laughs...but that lady is seriously schizo. :zip:

Yeah, Amani was :thumbs_up though. ;D

But it annoyed me that she mentioned a few hadith and stuff in there in the wrong context. :mad: Forgot the hadith she mentioned though. *thinks*

Never heard of Nine Parts of Desire though. :p

S_87
09-27-2005, 02:25 PM
yh how she totally trashed the veil :( its stuff like that, that gets others to think muslim women are oppressed! :mad:

now youve got me thinking up hadiths but i cant remember :zip:

Ameeratul Layl
09-27-2005, 02:27 PM

the so and so of a woman. I like saying that by the way.Makes me feel. gooooooooooooood. ;D

muha0154
09-28-2005, 01:56 AM
Assalaamu Alaykum.

The Qur'an, although I listen to recitations more than I read myself. I hope to change that, Inshaallah. Salaam, all.

Muhammad

muha0154
09-28-2005, 06:32 AM
Assalaamu Alaykum

I read 'The Crusades Through Arab Eyes' by Amin Maalouf recently. A great book, very illuminating, not to mention highly entertaining. The section on the incomparable Salahaddin is particularly good. Everyone should read this book when they get a chance. Salaam, take care and be safe, all.

Muhammad

Ameeratul Layl
09-28-2005, 07:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lateralus63

Dan Brown

The Da Vinci Code.

Enough Said.

Upon reading the Da Vinci Code, I have never looked at portraits again ;D ;D

m3 salaam

Ameeratul Layl
09-28-2005, 07:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mm_ca04

Erghhhh...! I hated that book.. :mad: I'm serious, that princess was such a ditz, and I hated it when she quoted a hadith. :mad: Another annoying book, that stupid thing Carmen bin Laden wrote. :mad: Only read a few pages from that one tho. Stupid women liberators..

Uh, yeh, favorite book non Islamic book... To Kill a Mockingbird. ;D And Jane Eyre. :p

Without doubt the best Islamic book is the Quran. :love:

I find jane eyre a romantic novel. I dont fit in that catergory....yet! ;D ;D ;D

m3 salaam

S_87
09-28-2005, 01:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 3washey
Assalamu'Alaykum

After The Quran (duhhhhhhhhhhhh) my fav book is the Dictionary.... its sooooo cool!!!
wallahi i am serious

what? ;D ;D ;D

thats cute!

atm im liking readinnnnnnnnnnng

Asterix :shade:

Ameeratul Layl
09-28-2005, 01:44 PM

what? ;D ;D ;D

I know...I thought I was the nut case on the forum. I was obviuosly wrong. ;D ;D ;D

strider
09-28-2005, 11:04 PM
Assalamu alaikum

Though not religiously or historically correct throughout, one of the most well written books i have read in the past year has to be The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. Has anyone else read it?

Ma'assalama

*!~Faith~!*
09-28-2005, 11:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
Assalamu alaikum

Though not religiously or historically correct throughout, one of the most well written books i have read in the past year has to be The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. Has anyone else read it?

Ma'assalama
I heard it mentions things about Islam. Is that true?

Concealed Pearl
09-28-2005, 11:11 PM
"Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources" By Martin Lings AMAZING BOOK!...

baby_muslimah15
09-28-2005, 11:14 PM
My favorite book is Sweet Valley High...Because it's for teens

Hajar
09-29-2005, 02:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
i just love reading different authors writing about the lifestory of Prophet Muhammad (SAW)
I owuld like to read a book about the biography of Prophet Muhammad (sws) You have read some right?... So what writer/book would you recommend me to read?

wasim134
10-01-2005, 11:23 AM
i like companions of the prohet thats a g8 book anybody tried that 1

Bass
10-01-2005, 11:43 AM
I agree wiv da sis bout Malcolm X

Bass
10-01-2005, 12:04 PM
1 of my fav writer is Harun Yahya
His books v. Interesting n educational

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
10-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Assalaamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

Above all the books i LOVE the Qur'aan :love: ! After which i love to read about the Sahabahs & the GREAT women during the time of the Prophet (sas), No doubt, JIHAD is what i love to read about! A beautiful book i recommend for sisters is *THE IDEAL MUSLIMAH* written by *DR.MUHAMMAD ALI AL HASHIMI*..for the brothers i recommend *SELECTED FRIDAY SERMONS* by *DARUSSALAM* Those books are beautiful & inspirational..Allahu 'Alim

Wasalaamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

czgibson
10-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Greetings,

Much respect for the dictionary reader - it's one of my favourite books too! At my school library they had the biggest dictionary I've ever seen - The Oxford English Lexicon. It was about fifteen huge volumes, and it took up two shelves. Needless to say I didn't go right through it, but it was a mind blowing book.

My favourite writer of fiction is James Joyce. He was an Irishman who had the largest vocabulary of any writer who has ever lived. His novel Ulysses is far and away the best book I've ever read. Nothing else has ever come close in terms of the sensitive portrayal of characters from the inside, the powerfully serious mode of humour, and the total mastery of language on display.

By the way, anyone who doesn't read fiction at all doesn't know what they're missing!

Peace

~Raindrop~
11-21-2005, 02:18 PM
:salaam: i was wondering if any1 could recommend any good books? im looking to expand my library. any subject considered but they must be STRICTLY about Islam. :w: :coolious: :wilted_ro

Ameeratul Layl
11-21-2005, 02:19 PM

The quraan.
wah!! that is such a fab book. But saying that..its not any old book.
Its the HOLY BOOK.

Allah ma3ik:loving:

MetSudaisTwice
11-21-2005, 02:22 PM
salam
true sis ameeratul layl
or can i suggest english translations of hadiths by imam muslim RA and imam bukhari RA?
wasalam

habib
11-21-2005, 02:25 PM

The quraan.
Its the HOLY BOOK.

right ..

~Raindrop~
11-21-2005, 02:29 PM

The quraan.
Its the HOLY BOOK.

sister, i have about 8 copies of that. i dont mind getting any more, but...anything else? ps i have loads of Hadith books in English. j k 4 ur help though both of you. wassalam.and i just noticed i have a rep point. where did that come from?

MetSudaisTwice
11-21-2005, 02:31 PM
salam
sis what about books on the lifestory of Prophet Mohammad SAW and all the other prophets before him?
wasalam

~Raindrop~
11-21-2005, 02:34 PM
:salaam: brother, i have them too (sorry!). i was looking for specific titles...:w: :coolious:

habib
11-21-2005, 02:37 PM
how about the Hadith book?

~Raindrop~
11-21-2005, 02:41 PM
salaams bro. i have them. (about 5 different 1s) do you know any titles of other books? wassalam

h1jabi_sista
11-21-2005, 02:43 PM
as salam alikum!

ive just finished reading this really really great book mashallah. Its inspiring, funny, realistic.

Its called 'From my sisters lips' by Na'ima B Robert.excellant mashallah. Totally puts a different perspective on being a muslim woman in the west. Its not like all negative, she explains things in a really optimistic way. Alot of it is about her reversion to islam, thats why its really inspiring mashallah.

:peace: :sister:

~Raindrop~
11-21-2005, 02:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by h1jabi_sista
as salam alikum!

ive just finished reading this really really great book mashallah. Its inspiring, funny, realistic.

Its called 'From my sisters lips' by Na'ima B Robert.excellant mashallah. Totally puts a different perspective on being a muslim woman in the west. Its not like all negative, she explains things in a really optimistic way. Alot of it is about her reversion to islam, thats why its really inspiring mashallah.

:peace: :sister:
:sl: jazakillah sis. do you know where i can get it from?:-\ :w:

habib
11-21-2005, 02:47 PM
"WHY DO WE PRAY" by Dr. Suhaib Hasan

nice book..

h1jabi_sista
11-21-2005, 02:53 PM
as salam alikum,

you could probably find it on amazon or any good book store. I'll give you the ISBN-0593 054415

~Raindrop~
11-21-2005, 02:58 PM
:salaam: ppl. jazakillah for the isbn sis. also, i dont think iv mentioned this before but could i also mention that i only read books by reliable authors. theres just so much fitnah nowadays. :w:

Ameeratul Layl
11-21-2005, 03:46 PM

'key to the garden' writeen by a shiekh. His name is really long, but ill get it for you for tomorrow inshAllah.
His grandson, ....al alawi wrote a book too. Ill get the info for you tomorrow.inshAllah.

Allah ma3ik

Z
11-21-2005, 04:07 PM
Peace.

How about getting some Alex Rider books? They're awesome! Written by Anthony Horowitz. He's a great writer I promise you.

There's even a movie in producation for one of his books. Can't wait.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-21-2005, 04:11 PM

There is already a thread by the same name in the EDUCATION ISSUES forum. Thream Moved there and a moderator of that section can merge these 2 Inshallah.

Ameeratul Layl
11-21-2005, 04:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z
Peace.

How about getting some Alex Rider books? They're awesome! Written by Anthony Horowitz. He's a great writer I promise you.

There's even a movie in producation for one of his books. Can't wait.

Are they islamic?:-\ I doubt it...The sister asked for Islamic books only.

Allah ma3ak

Z
11-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Peace.

She did?

Oh, well I think she might consider the Alex Rider books. They are really good. It's always good to broaden your reading remember. Too much of one thing creates concrete like brain.

Ameeratul Layl
11-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Peace.

She did?

Too much of one thing creates concrete like brain.
FACT!! not wen its to do with Islam. Infact, its very interesting and the more u know the more you want to read to find out more.

peace!

Bittersteel
11-21-2005, 04:24 PM
History of the Quranic text by Azami.

Quran and the Orientalists.

Z
11-21-2005, 04:25 PM
Peace.

I think your fact sounds more like an opinion.

I personally know Scholars who also like to get away from reading Islamic text. They say the mind cannot handle too much of it. Our minds nowadays are not of those that they had in the time of Imaam Bukhari, Imaam Zafar etc hence why we must take breaks.

Ameeratul Layl
11-21-2005, 04:27 PM
Peace.

I think your fact sounds more like an opinion.

I personally know Scholars who also like to get away from reading Islamic text. They say the mind cannot handle too much of it. Our minds nowadays are not of those that they had in the time of Imaam Bukhari, Imaam Zafar etc hence why we must take breaks.

Yeah okay then.
In that case, if you personally know scholras, then why not provide us with sum good book titles.:coolious:

Allah ma3ak

Z
11-21-2005, 04:34 PM
Peace.

Ha, I don't want them getting the wrong impression when I ask them for a list of good Islamic books to read. I'm not that sharp you see.

Well I've never read any Islamic books from cover to cover, so I can't say what to read.

However, I do trust the book on Imaam Abu Hanifa published by Barkhurdaria Trust is very good.

~Raindrop~
11-21-2005, 05:20 PM
jazakallah all. will get those checked out inshallah. the thing is, iv only got about 100 books but my uncles got a lot more.(7/800). i have to catch him up. it helps that all our books are about Islam, though. and the fact that i love to read. so anyway, jazakallah again. wassalam.

Lina
11-21-2005, 05:31 PM

I would recommend; 'Sifat Salaat An-Nabi (saws) min at-takbier ilaa at tasliem ka'annaka taraahaa'

By Sheik Mohammed Nasir-oeddien Al-Albaanie.

It's a great book which gives a great description of the salaat of the Prophet (saws),
You should read it, very beneficial Incha'Allah.

ummAbdillah
11-21-2005, 05:59 PM
stories of the prophets - by ibn Kathir
very nice book manshallah!
u'll love it trust
:peace:

~Raindrop~
11-21-2005, 06:06 PM
salaams.
[content removed] anyway, thanks 4 all the titles evry1. lovly lady, i hate to say this, but iv already got that.wassalam ps i have to go now and im not sure when i can come again so just email me. if u click on my avatar, my address is in my profile. wassalam

Muhammad
11-21-2005, 06:12 PM

Threads merged.

Simpletraveller
11-21-2005, 06:24 PM
favourite books...erm

Blood on the cross ...by Ahmed Thompson
The alchemist... paulo coelho
Don't Be Sad... Aaidh ibn Abdullah al-Qarni
The life of the ...Prophet martin lings
The sould of a butter fly... Muhammed Ali
Autobiography of nelson mandela i better stop my list can just go on for ever

I forgot the main book
The translation of the Qur'an by Hilali and Khan

Muezzin
11-23-2005, 09:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Green Bird
Recommend you're favourite books:

One of mine has to be The autobiography of Malcolm X-a must read! :)
I'm currently reading that. Brilliance.

marias
11-27-2005, 06:12 PM
my favorite book is LA TA7ZAN( do not be sad ) by al shaikh 3aid Al Karny.:peace:

mehnaz
11-28-2005, 07:37 AM
salaam,
for all the emotional sisters here i wud recommend "Daddy" by Danielle steel....i love the Harry potter series too!!...and yea...i loved christine by stephen king too..!!..and someone recommended "da vinci code" to me but havent been able to get a hold of it!!...
FiAmanillah

Sanobar
11-28-2005, 09:28 AM
salaam!
my fav books harry potter....sydney sheldon,archies,etiquettes of islam ...and loads more but cant think of any right now..:confused:
ma'salamah

so0x0xsweet
02-17-2006, 01:47 AM
fav. writer.. V.C. Andrews
Fav. books.. the Harry Potter Books

julie sarri
02-27-2006, 02:28 PM
:sl: my frist book is the quran then the sealed nectar which is about the prophet (saw):love: :sister:

FatimaAsSideqah
04-14-2006, 10:25 PM
as-salaam alaykum

My favourite books is Holy Quran and Life of Holy Prophet Hazrat Muhammad (PBUH) book...they are fanastic books! I have little book about Allah's 99 names...they are very touching book! I been practised to memory of those names into my heart..

I am looking to forward to know what my brothers or sisters's favourite books in here!

wa-salaam alaykum:sister:

Maimunah
04-14-2006, 10:33 PM
salaam
well the quraan ofcouse
then the biography of prophet mohamed peace n belessin be upon him n his companions
then books called wisdom of the wise, dont be sad n so many... i forgot their titles:(
wasalaam

NahidSarvy
04-14-2006, 10:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by RighteousLady
I am looking to forward to know what my brothers or sisters's favourite books in here!
Peace, Righteous Lady!

If we're talking about nonfiction, I rather like Fadwa el Guindi's Veil: Modesty, Privacy and Resistance, short as it is.

I'm also reading Surviving the Mongols: Nizârî Quhistânî & the Continuity of Ismaili Tradition in Persia by Nadia Eboo Jamal and Mystics, Monarchs & Messiahs: Cultural Landscapes of Early Modern Iran by Kathryn Babayan.

Maybe I'll post more later - I just went shopping and got some books that talk directly about Islam rather than about its history...

FatimaAsSideqah
04-14-2006, 10:51 PM
as-salaam alaykum

Sisters of Islam..thank you for posted! Peace to you too Nahid!

Waiting for more posting..

wa-salaam alaykum

NahidSarvy
04-14-2006, 11:35 PM
More books:
  • Khazzoom, Loolwa: Consequence: Beyond Resisting Rape. A great work by an Iraqi-born Mizrahi Jew about racism and sexism in Israel.
  • as-Sulamî, Abû 3Abd ar-Ra7mân (transl. by Rkia E Cornell): Early Sufi Women: Dhikr an-Niswa al-Muta3abbidât as-Sûfiyyât. A wonderful side-by-side Arabic and English version of Sulâmî's famous book, which was written in the fourth century AH (10th century AD).
  • Barlas, Asma: "Believing Women" in Islam: Unreading Patriarchal Interpretations of the Qur'ân
  • Abdul-Ghafur, Saleemah (ed.): Living Islam Out Loud: American Muslim Women Speak

julie sarri
04-15-2006, 06:02 PM
:sl: the quran then the sealed netar i realy injoyed the sealed netar:w:

faisalfaz
04-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Quraan
wisdom of seerat Mohammad

and i reaLLy benifitd and had fun reading:
tony buzan's book: the speed reading book

and in arabic the noveL:
80 years searching 4 an exit

thank u 4 the subject

The Ruler
04-22-2006, 09:06 PM
i lyk most of da islamic books especially biographies of sahabas :happy: n ofcouse hadith books n da Qur'an...:wub:

but i also lurve fiction books dat include a lot of adventure n weird stuff such as the supernatural :happy: :)

Roo_88
04-22-2006, 10:41 PM
Asalam Alay'kum

my favourite books are the Quran, When the Moon Split (A biography of Prophet Muhuammad Sallahu Alahi wasalam) compiled by Safiur-Rahman Mubarakpuri, and Purification of the Heart by Shaykh Humza Yusuf.

wasalam Alay'kum:statisfie

Abdullah4ever
04-22-2006, 11:14 PM
I love the quran first. Then Siraat of the prophet. THen Sahih Bukhari and Muslim and all the other hadith books (i dont feel like writing them all down) . then i like Men Around THe MEssneger which is a biography on 60 sahabah. Then I like books dealing with aqeedah and fiqh.

north_malaysian
04-24-2006, 03:11 AM
Al Quran is not a book, it's Words of Allah.

My favourite book is Road to Mecca by Muhammad Asad.

sweetbanana86
07-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Salam alaikum brothers and sisters

I apologize if there is a thread already like this around, if so just combine it, i am hoping to one day build a small library in my home and i was wondering if anyone has read any good books lately or even in the past

i have just finished reading the Da Vinci code ( it was okay)

now i am reading ADORNING KNOWLEDGE WITH ACTIONS BY Shaykh Husayn Al-'Awaayishah

and also The prohet's prayer described written by Shaikh Naasir-ud-Deen Al-Albaani

and also Stories of the Prophets

and lastlyThe holy Qu'ran

so if you know any good books please feel free to add to the list

waji
07-28-2006, 06:46 PM

Raheek ul Makhtoom

book link

Muezzin
07-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Threads merged. Please run a quick search before starting a new thread.

In addition, please hold all discussions about favourite or recommended books and authors in this thread.

Jazakallah.

Ameeratul Layl
07-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Salam,

I quite enjoy Jane Austen and Audrey Howard's books. They make so much sense.

Wasalam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.