/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The night journey... MIRAJ

Ferrari1981
06-10-2006, 11:41 PM
MIRAJ
Among the prohibited types of fasting is any kind of fasting people initiate on their own without any Shari`ah text or evidence. An example of this is the fasting on the 27th of Rajab thinking that it is the day that followed the night of Al-Israa’ and Al-Mi`raj.
Some people would fast on that day as a token of gratitude and thankfulness to Allah for the blessing of Al-Israa’ and Al-Mi`raj. It is really important for a Muslim to prove thankful in the remembrance of every event that brought blessings to the Muslim Ummah. These events are many indeed.
However, this thankfulness does not mean that a Muslim has to fast. Almighty Allah reminds Muslims of so many blessings He has given to them. Allah says: (O ye who believe! Remember Allah's favor unto you when there came against you hosts, and We sent against them a great wind and hosts ye could not see.) (Al-Ahzab 33: 9) However, Almighty Allah did not ask them to fast and they never did.
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...EAskTheScholar
As far as Muslims are concerned, there is no particular celebration, fast or prayer to commemorate israa and mi’raj. Neither the Qur’an nor the sunnah of the Prophet says anything about celebrating it. But in some places, the Muslims themselves have started to have commemorative functions, where the story of mi’raj is told in poetry, chants or lectures. Sweets and food are distributed in a festive atmosphere.

To add a feast or a fast or some such act of religious significance to what the Prophet has taught us is called bid’ah (innovation in religious practice) in the terminology of Islam. Infact, bid’ah is strongly discouraged. Scholars, who maintain such gatherings, mean to remind the Muslims of the importance of mi’raj, in the history of Islam or of the city of Jerusalem and for the sake of children enjoying the occasion and drawing lessons from it as a social event. This is usually with a view of helping our brothers and sisters who are suffering in Palestine, which is definitely permissible. http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...AskAboutIslamE
As far as the Muslims are concerned, there is no particular celebration, fast or prayer to commemorate Isra’ wal-Mi`raj. But in some places, the Muslims themselves have started to have commemorative functions, where the story of the night journey is told in poetry or lectures. While the Prophet himself (peace be upon him) did not establish these practices, there are scholars who maintain that gatherings meant to remind the Muslims of the importance of Mi`raj in the history of Islam, or to remind us of the importance of love for the Prophet (peace be upon him) and the significance of the city of Jerusalem, are permissible.
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...AskAboutIslamE

It goes without saying that the obligatory fast is the one in Ramadan, but perpetual fasting all through Rajab and Sha`ban and joining them with Ramadan is not recommended by some scholars. However, offering fast for some days in Rajab and Sha`ban is recommended, and earns a great reward.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
08-20-2006, 01:17 PM
:sl:

are you saying its bidah to fast on the nights of Al-Israa’ and Al-Mi`raj?

- Qatada -
08-20-2006, 01:54 PM
:salamext:

2 –
Fasting on the day which one believes to be the day of the Mi’raaj is not permissible, and comes under the heading of bid’ah. Even if a person is not sure, but he fasts this day for the sake of being on the safe side, it is as if he is saying, ‘If it is really the day of the Mi’raaj, then I will have fasted it, and if it is not, it will still be a good action that I have done, and if I will not be rewarded for it then I will not be punished.’ This attitude means that a person is committing bid’ah, and he is a sinner who deserves to be punished. But if his fast is not because it is the day of the Mi’raaj, but is rather because it is his habit to fast alternate days, or to fast Mondays and Thursdays, and that happens to coincide with the day known as the day of the Mi’raaj, there is nothing wrong with him fasting it with that intention, i.e., the intention of fasting on Monday or Thursday, or a day on which he usually fasts.

3, 4 – What we have said about fasting on the day of the Mi’raaj also applies to fasting on the day of Shab-e-baraath. If any Muslim says that fasting on the day of the Mi’raaj or on the day of Shab-e-baraath is not bid’ah because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) taught us these acts of worship, so what is wrong with fasting any day apart from the days on which it is haraam to fast? Our response to that is:

If the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) taught us these acts of worship, then where is the evidence (daleel) for singling out the day of the Mi’raaj or any other day for fasting? If there were any evidence that it is prescribed to fast on these two days, no one would be able to say that fasting on these days is bid’ah. But what is apparent is that those who say this mean that fasting is an act of worship in general terms, so that if he fasts he has done an act of worship for which he will be rewarded, so long as it is not on one of the days when fasting is not allowed, such as on Eid. This would be correct if the person who is fasting did not single out a day which he believes is a day of virtue, such as the day of the Mi’raaj or the day of Shab-e-baraath.

What makes this the matter of bid’ah is the fact that one is singling out these days. If there was any virtue in fasting these two days, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would have fasted them, and he would have urged us to fast them. It is known that the Companions of the Messenger of Allaah were more keen to do good than we are; if they had known that there was any virtue in fasting these two days, they would have fasted them. Since we find no reports to that effect from them, we know that this is an innovated bid’ah, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does an action that is not a part of this matter of ours (Islam) will have it rejected,” i.e., it will be thrown back on the one who does it. Fasting these two days is an action which we find no report of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) enjoining, so it is to be rejected.

source: http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=11086&ln=eng

Najiullah
08-20-2006, 02:08 PM
jazakAllah bro
excellent post
very informative for me

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Khayal
08-20-2006, 06:24 PM

Jazaak ALLAH khayr, Brother for sharing....:rose:

:w:

syilla
08-21-2006, 01:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
:salamext:

2 –
Fasting on the day which one believes to be the day of the Mi’raaj is not permissible, and comes under the heading of bid’ah. Even if a person is not sure, but he fasts this day for the sake of being on the safe side, it is as if he is saying, ‘If it is really the day of the Mi’raaj, then I will have fasted it, and if it is not, it will still be a good action that I have done, and if I will not be rewarded for it then I will not be punished.’ This attitude means that a person is committing bid’ah, and he is a sinner who deserves to be punished. But if his fast is not because it is the day of the Mi’raaj, but is rather because it is his habit to fast alternate days, or to fast Mondays and Thursdays, and that happens to coincide with the day known as the day of the Mi’raaj, there is nothing wrong with him fasting it with that intention, i.e., the intention of fasting on Monday or Thursday, or a day on which he usually fasts.

3, 4 – What we have said about fasting on the day of the Mi’raaj also applies to fasting on the day of Shab-e-baraath. If any Muslim says that fasting on the day of the Mi’raaj or on the day of Shab-e-baraath is not bid’ah because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) taught us these acts of worship, so what is wrong with fasting any day apart from the days on which it is haraam to fast? Our response to that is:

If the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) taught us these acts of worship, then where is the evidence (daleel) for singling out the day of the Mi’raaj or any other day for fasting? If there were any evidence that it is prescribed to fast on these two days, no one would be able to say that fasting on these days is bid’ah. But what is apparent is that those who say this mean that fasting is an act of worship in general terms, so that if he fasts he has done an act of worship for which he will be rewarded, so long as it is not on one of the days when fasting is not allowed, such as on Eid. This would be correct if the person who is fasting did not single out a day which he believes is a day of virtue, such as the day of the Mi’raaj or the day of Shab-e-baraath.

What makes this the matter of bid’ah is the fact that one is singling out these days. If there was any virtue in fasting these two days, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would have fasted them, and he would have urged us to fast them. It is known that the Companions of the Messenger of Allaah were more keen to do good than we are; if they had known that there was any virtue in fasting these two days, they would have fasted them. Since we find no reports to that effect from them, we know that this is an innovated bid’ah, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does an action that is not a part of this matter of ours (Islam) will have it rejected,” i.e., it will be thrown back on the one who does it. Fasting these two days is an action which we find no report of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) enjoining, so it is to be rejected.

source: http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=11086&ln=eng
thank you...jazakallah khayr...

but what about qiyam...is it okay?

shudnt_have
08-21-2006, 02:34 AM
according to Imam Ghazali. there are two bidahs. a good one and a bad one..

we cant classify every new action as what is commonly known dangerous "bida"!

since we are on this bida topic, my sincere question to you all, did Prophet(peace be up on Him) ever performed taraweeh during the month of Ramadan?
and
allahu alim.

Malaikah
08-21-2006, 07:25 AM

Yes he did! But he stopped doing it becuase the people were all doing it with him and it was becoming very popular, and he feared that the Allah swt might make it a complusory thing, and he didnt wish to burden his ummah with it.

Later on, after the prophets death, 'Umar ibn alkhattab revived it, becuase the act could no longer be made compulsory since the prophet had passed away already. It isnt a bi'dah becuase it is something the prophet already himself.

Furthermore sis there is criteria for defining bidah:

1. It be a newly invented act in beliefs and action in the religion
2. It involves the imitation of the Shariah
3. Nearness to Allah is sought through it
4. It has no authentic support form the Quran or sunnah for its foundations and way it is performed, such as the time, place, quantity or method.

Based on this definition, taraweeh is not a bid'ah becuase the prophet did do it, and the reason he was stopped was simply becuase the act got too popular and so he didnt want to overburden his ummah by it becoming compulsory. Thats why it is ok that 'Umar revived this sunnah.

When people say that there is such a thing as a good bi'dah they are correct, becuase bid'ah itself is just a word that means something new. However, in shariah its definition is different (see above). Nothing that has been classified as bid'ah according to the shariah definition can be good becuase the prophet said:

The Messenger of Allah pbuh said: “He who innovates something in this matter of ours that which is not of it will have it rejected”[alBukhari and Muslim], and “Every newly invented affair is an innovation. Every innovation is an error and every error is in the fire.” [Al-Tirmidhî].

shudnt_have
08-22-2006, 04:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

Yes he did! But he stopped doing it becuase the people were all doing it with him and it was becoming very popular, and he feared that the Allah swt might make it a complusory thing, and he didnt wish to burden his ummah with it.

Later on, after the prophets death, 'Umar ibn alkhattab revived it, becuase the act could no longer be made compulsory since the prophet had passed away already. It isnt a bi'dah becuase it is something the prophet already himself.

Furthermore sis there is criteria for defining bidah:

1. It be a newly invented act in beliefs and action in the religion
2. It involves the imitation of the Shariah
3. Nearness to Allah is sought through it
4. It has no authentic support form the Quran or sunnah for its foundations and way it is performed, such as the time, place, quantity or method.

Based on this definition, taraweeh is not a bid'ah becuase the prophet did do it, and the reason he was stopped was simply becuase the act got too popular and so he didnt want to overburden his ummah by it becoming compulsory. Thats why it is ok that 'Umar revived this sunnah.

When people say that there is such a thing as a good bi'dah they are correct, becuase bid'ah itself is just a word that means something new. However, in shariah its definition is different (see above). Nothing that has been classified as bid'ah according to the shariah definition can be good becuase the prophet said:

The Messenger of Allah pbuh said: “He who innovates something in this matter of ours that which is not of it will have it rejected”[alBukhari and Muslim], and “Every newly invented affair is an innovation. Every innovation is an error and every error is in the fire.” [Al-Tirmidhî].
:w:
well as for sum clarifcation ive read that Prophet started to do Qiyam then ppl start inmitating him day after day in masjid, so he stopped coming? i didnt know it was taraweeh?

as i leraned this action started by Umar bin Khattab who lead the first the muslims?

and Allah knows best it is too late here. i will dig the hadith for my back up insha'Allah
thankyou for clarifying dear sr. cheese:sister:

lolwatever
08-22-2006, 08:05 AM
taraweeh is synonymous for qiyam :)

salamz

Malaikah
08-22-2006, 08:08 AM

sis shuldnt_have um sorry i dont have the hadith but i am 100% certain it is taraweeh. 'Umar didnt invent it- he revived it.

format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
taraweeh is synonymous for qiyam :)

salamz
well that explains a lot lol

thankyou for clarifying dear sr. cheese
you are most welcome!:statisfie

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.