/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hijab: What’s It All About?

limitless
06-11-2006, 02:41 PM
I am not sure if it belongs in here, but i will copy and paste it :) .

Talk about weird. Some Muslim women, at different stages of their lives and at different times after their decision to wear hijab, struggle with it. Not necessarily with the belief that it IS obligatory—although some Muslim women may have a problem with that—but with different factors: come summer, if you aren’t careful with the material of your hijab, it’s not exactly the most comfortable thing to wear. And then there’s the dealing with the fact that people sometimes treat you differently—yes, even in Muslim countries. But the real killer is all the ranting, the debate, the articles, the speeches, on and on and on about hijab. What’s amazing is that usually those talking about it the most are those who don’t even wear it.

Hard-line feminists who have decided that women wearing hijab are oppressed have taken it on themselves to make Muslim women take that “hijab thing” off—how else are women going to be respected if they don’t take off their clothes? And then the politico-commentators who have tried again and again to convince everyone and anyone who reads opinion pages of newspapers that hijab is actually a “political statement” which “those Islamists” use to push their agenda, or whatever. And of course let’s not forget the secularists, to whom hijab is a “religious symbol”, which apparently threatens to tear the delicate fabric of society. There are the Muslim men, of course. Some of them talk on an on and on about hijab and how important it is until you start thinking that it’s the ONLY thing that’s important. Or, on the other side of the spectrum, there are those amazing fatwas that tell Muslim women living in some Western countries that “It’s ok to take it off” if they feel they will become targets of hate crimes, as if the world wasn’t confusing enough. Now get this: despite all of this fuss, what’s really annoying/amazing/weird is that Muslim women are STILL wearing that “hijab thing”!

So what is it about hijab? Why are Muslim women still wearing it? How can a piece of cloth attract so much attention? Isn’t it hot under there?

-- http://www.islamonline.net: by Discover islam team

link: http://www.islamonline.net/english/i...rticle12.SHTML

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
chacha_jalebi
06-11-2006, 02:43 PM
how cums der so much hijabs thread?? u gota cover ur head end off lol :D

dishdash
06-11-2006, 02:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by limitless
I am not sure if it belongs in here, but i will copy and paste it :) .

Talk about weird. Some Muslim women, at different stages of their lives and at different times after their decision to wear hijab, struggle with it. Not necessarily with the belief that it IS obligatory—although some Muslim women may have a problem with that—but with different factors: come summer, if you aren’t careful with the material of your hijab, it’s not exactly the most comfortable thing to wear. And then there’s the dealing with the fact that people sometimes treat you differently—yes, even in Muslim countries. But the real killer is all the ranting, the debate, the articles, the speeches, on and on and on about hijab. What’s amazing is that usually those talking about it the most are those who don’t even wear it.

Hard-line feminists who have decided that women wearing hijab are oppressed have taken it on themselves to make Muslim women take that “hijab thing” off—how else are women going to be respected if they don’t take off their clothes? And then the politico-commentators who have tried again and again to convince everyone and anyone who reads opinion pages of newspapers that hijab is actually a “political statement” which “those Islamists” use to push their agenda, or whatever. And of course let’s not forget the secularists, to whom hijab is a “religious symbol”, which apparently threatens to tear the delicate fabric of society. There are the Muslim men, of course. Some of them talk on an on and on about hijab and how important it is until you start thinking that it’s the ONLY thing that’s important. Or, on the other side of the spectrum, there are those amazing fatwas that tell Muslim women living in some Western countries that “It’s ok to take it off” if they feel they will become targets of hate crimes, as if the world wasn’t confusing enough. Now get this: despite all of this fuss, what’s really annoying/amazing/weird is that Muslim women are STILL wearing that “hijab thing”!
What fatwas?

chacha_jalebi
06-11-2006, 02:49 PM
islamic rulings :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
dishdash
06-11-2006, 03:00 PM
<sigh> really Chachi? I had always wondered what a fatwa was. I had always thought it was a really obese Chinese man.

Thankyou for clearing that up for me...

there are those amazing fatwas that tell Muslim women living in some Western countries that “It’s ok to take it off”
Again - what fatwas?

chacha_jalebi
06-11-2006, 03:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by dishdash
<sigh> really Chachi? I had always wondered what a fatwa was. I had always thought it was a really obese Chinese man.

Thankyou for clearing that up for me...

Again - what fatwas?

lol ohhhh u should have said what fatwas are you talking about lol :statisfie

its okily dokily sista :D

dishdash
06-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Hahaha!!! I can't help but love you bro! I can barely understand you, and as irritating as everything you type actually is, I always laugh. By FAR my favourite poster!

manaal
06-14-2006, 04:20 AM
The Holy Quran Says:
And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like palms of hands or one eye or both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer dress like veil, gloves, head-cover, apron, etc.), and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms, etc.) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husband's sons, their brothers or their brother's sons, or their sister's sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islâm), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allâh to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful. (An-Nur 24:31)

One who does not wear hijab, does not beleive in surah Nur.
This Ayah from the Holy Quran is proof enough that hijab in COMPULSORY in Islam.

manaal
06-14-2006, 04:39 AM
The Holy Quran Says:
And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like palms of hands or one eye or both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer dress like veil, gloves, head-cover, apron, etc.), and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms, etc.) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husband's sons, their brothers or their brother's sons, or their sister's sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islâm), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allâh to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful. (An-Nur 24:31)

One who does not wear hijab, does not beleive in surah Nur.
This Ayah from the Holy Quran is proof enough that hijab in COMPULSORY in Islam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.