/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The injustice associated with football

Eric H
06-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Taken from Ekklesia News.

World cup anti-poverty advert is banned -11/06/06

The UK Broadcast Advertising Clearance Centre has banned an advert by a Christian relief agency which contrasts the £49 million it has cost to sponsor the England World Cup football with the 60p a day it costs to support a child in a poor community.

According to the BACC the problem is that the agency concerned, World Vision, has not yet got the required permission from the England team and the Football Association, who are both mentioned in the film – which features former Doctor Who film star Paul McGann doing a voiceover.

The one-minute advert was filmed by a young boy called Masidi from Malawi. He makes a ball out of maize to kick around with his friends because it is the nearest thing to a proper football which he can get hold of as a member of an impoverished community.

World Vision says it has now had to spend more money to get an alternative advert shown. Though the ostensible issue is the technical matter of referring to third parties, the development organization thinks that the image of the message may have had something to do with it too – though the BACC denies this.

“In our eyes, the advert is in no way anti-World Cup or anti-football. It simply uses the common language of football to point out the difference between Western world affluence and developing world resourcefulness,” says Rudo Kwaramba, who is responsible for advocacy, communications and education at World Vision.

The purpose of the advert is to promote child sponsorship programmes as a way of supporting children in developing countries.

Other agencies, such as Christian Aid and Oxfam, prefer to channel resources to communities and organisations rather than singling out individuals or families.

But they have also had their advertising problems. A Make Poverty History television advert they and other groups put together was banned last year because mentioning trade and debt was deemed ‘political’.

Actor Paul McGann is not impressed by this latest bar on a campaign he was supporting: “Does one laugh or cry? An advert describing how 60p a day might help a child in a developing country is pulled in order to spare the image of corporate sponsorship in a couple of rich ones. You couldn’t make it up.”

[Also on Ekklesia: Football gives faith communities a common goal 10/06/06; Soccer fans and foes asked to Give Injustice the Red Card 09/06/06; Give injustice the red card Jun 9, 2006 An alternative World Cup guide for those with global vision; German churches to be peacemakers during World Cup, by Fran race; Fairtrade football - fair trade football gift ideas; Christians and Muslims score a goal against soccer racism; Will Baptist soccer bosses teach England's Sven about crosses?; World Cup proves a football blessing to Iran; Hallowed be thy game]

In the spirit of seeking justice for all

Eric

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MinAhlilHadeeth
06-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Yeah, too much importance is placed on football.

glo
06-12-2006, 12:46 PM
The UK Broadcast Advertising Clearance Centre has banned an advert by a Christian relief agency which contrasts the £49 million it has cost to sponsor the England World Cup football with the 60p a day it costs to support a child in a poor community.
On what grounds have they managed to ban the advert?

Thank you for that post, Eric.
Just as the football hype is starting and it is difficult to stay immune to it all, we do well to remember more worthy concerns than who gets to take the cup home!

I would love to look at the site you mention. Do you have a link?
If not I will google it.

Thanks. :)

Ghazi
06-12-2006, 12:48 PM
:sl:

It's shocking how people are so passionte about football but lack the same passion in other aspects of society.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Eric H
06-16-2006, 06:54 AM
Greetings and peace be with you Glo, sorry i have taken a while to reply.

It does not actually say why the advert was banned; but I can imagine comparing a child kicking round a maize football in the third world; to the extravagance of the English football team might be a bit too much to bear for a few people. It might even tug at the conscience of one or two wealthy footballers who have come from poor working class families, they might even loose the will to continue.

I recently saw a photo of the last supper in our local newspaper, they have superimposed the faces of the England football team over the faces of Christ and his disciples. David Bekham is portrayed as Christ.

It just goes to show what is acceptable to big business and what is not.

http://www.ekklesia.co.uk is a very good resource, it lends a voice to peacekeeping, justice, unity and interfaith relations, they have a forum and they will send you a free newsletter if you wish.

Take care

Eric

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-16-2006, 09:52 AM
It's like a religion to some people. And I think that is sad. Kinda like the proles in 'Nineteen Eighty-Four'.

glo
06-16-2006, 12:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
I recently saw a photo of the last supper in our local newspaper, they have superimposed the faces of the England football team over the faces of Christ and his disciples. David Bekham is portrayed as Christ.
I haven't seen that advert, but there certainly is a religious theme in the World Cup this year. References to believing and praying all over the place.
Strange, in such a secular society, don't you think?
Is football becoming the new religion? And David Beckham the nation's saviour??? :?

http://www.ekklesia.co.uk is a very good resource, it lends a voice to peacekeeping, justice, unity and interfaith relations, they have a forum and they will send you a free newsletter if you wish.

Take care

Eric
Thanks, Eric. It looks very interesting! I will spend some time browsing. :)

Peace.

Umar001
06-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Whao man, you know im an emotional dude, and when I saw the stadium filled with people all happy, it jus brought a tear to my eye, to think that there are so many happy people but at the same time so many sufferin and to think that if all those happy peple put their ticket money towards helpin the poor it would be so much better and all the beer and make up and team replica shirts, it really gets to me, to see how us have taken was has been granted and have jus ended up makin our ownselves happy.

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Is football becoming the new religion? And David Beckham the nation's saviour??? :?
Rooney and Beckham do seem like saviours to some people. Sad, isn't it?

glo
06-16-2006, 12:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm_Shaheed
Rooney and Beckham do seem like saviours to some people. Sad, isn't it?
It's idolatry, really - don't you think?

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-16-2006, 12:46 PM
Yeah it is. Sometimes, things like this can lead to shirk. Because you place your love for it before God. And alot of people do this without realising it. E.g... it's time to pray and a England match is on. Alot of people would finish watching the match first. Na'udhubillah (Allah protect me from that).

Eric H
06-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Hello glo,
Thanks, Eric. It looks very interesting! I will spend some time browsing

Try going on their news mailing list, they come up with some thought provoking storys.

Peace

Eric

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.