/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sisters Dress Code and University

youngsister
06-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Salam Alaykum brothers and sisters:sister: any sisters here wear the niqab or jilabib?
Did you find it harder to get into Uni or did you face any kind of discrimination. I will soon start wearing the Iran type jilabib and have been told by my family that it will effect my chance of getting into a good Uni.
Is this truth?
w.s

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
unknown_JJ
06-12-2006, 03:32 PM
no it aint tru, i wear a jilbab n im xceptd into uni bt dey havnt seen me yet thou lol, bt i no loadz of ppl dat wear jilbabz n niqab n der xceptd in uni, bt it may depend on wich uni

youngsister
06-12-2006, 03:33 PM
Thats good to know Alhamdullah well i am going to apply to the follow InshAllah

Kingston
Kings Uni
Middlesex

samsam
06-12-2006, 03:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by youngsister

Kingston
Kings Uni
Middlesex
iT DOES'NT MATTER IF YOU ARE WEARING A JILBAB. I GO TO UNI AND NEVER GET ANU DISCRIMINATION

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
06-12-2006, 04:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by samsam
iT DOES'NT MATTER IF YOU ARE WEARING A JILBAB. I GO TO UNI AND NEVER GET ANU DISCRIMINATION
Do attend one of the unis to which youngsister referred in her post? :)

limitless
06-12-2006, 07:18 PM

Kingston
Kings Uni
Middlesex
:sl:

I preassume that you are in Canada. I think there aren't any Unis in Canada that is discriminative. :) Waterloo is a very diverse University to attend, but the competition there is just so intense, it is very difficult to keep up with it. Inshallah that you will get into the university that you desire :) .

:w:

afriend2
06-12-2006, 07:37 PM
salaam,

i dont think Kings (in london) will be a problem...my sister is inshAllah going to go there soon and she wears the jilbaab...plus there is quite a large muslim pop. there.

wassalam :peace:

amirah_87
06-12-2006, 07:39 PM
if you have the imaan..and you can tolerate all loadsa stuff then go ahead insha'allah

Selising
06-13-2006, 05:10 AM
A lot of friend attended uni in US, UK and Canada. They went with nothing, they came back to Malaysia with jilbab

Don't be scared. my dua for you that you will be a better person, with better imaan after finishing your uni

SolaceinIslam
06-13-2006, 06:41 AM

Your acceptance to university should be based on your academic abilities and not your dress code, otherwise, like the others said, it would be discrimination. In the beginning people might stare and point or make remarks, but be strong and once they get used to you, you will be fine.

sweetbanana86
06-23-2006, 02:49 AM
nowadays, people are glad to see sisters dress properly, and universities are glad to have them, it makes the school look more diverse

muamena
06-23-2006, 03:01 AM
Bismillah

I just wanted to say:

May Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala allow you to wear the jilabib easily and allow you to be accepted into a good university. Ameen

:w: sister

Malaikah
06-23-2006, 03:52 AM
Salam Alaykum brothers and sisters:sister: any sisters here wear the niqab or jilabib?
Did you find it harder to get into Uni or did you face any kind of discrimination. I will soon start wearing the Iran type jilabib and have been told by my family that it will effect my chance of getting into a good Uni.
Is this truth?
w.s

i dont see how it will effect you getting in to the uni, unles they have to see you before you are accepted... like if you have an interveiw.

My friends and i wear hijab and we all go to one of the best universities in my country, and there are lots of muslims there too... i think people are just trying to scare you by saying such things..

learningislam
06-23-2006, 04:08 AM
Assalamualaikum sister.....

i wear a hijab+ niqab(ALHUMDULILLAH).......and i am studying in uni too.
And alhumdulillah......i never had any problem with that. Just be determined and inshaAllah Allah will help you. Dress code doesnot affect one's studies........not at all. And insha Allah you will get admission in uni too.
My all prayers are with you.......May Allah help you.

assalamualikum

Umm Yoosuf
06-29-2006, 12:02 PM
Is this truth?
w.s
“And put your trust in Allah, and sufficient is Allah as a Trustee (Disposer of Affairs),” (Al-Ahzab, 33:3).

No it's not harder to get into uni whilst wearing jilbab etc In fact some universities take students wearing the Hijab, for their own purpose, they want to promote religious rights etc

Insha Allah khayr sister. You just stop worry, pray Istikhara and put your Trust in Allah.

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-29-2006, 12:21 PM

Kingston
Kings Uni
Middlesex
My brother went to Kingston, and he said the place was roaming with Niqaabis and Jilbaabis. So no worries inshaAllah.:sister:
W'salaam

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-29-2006, 12:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by limitless

I preassume that you are in Canada. I think there aren't any Unis in Canada that is discriminative. :) Waterloo is a very diverse University to attend, but the competition there is just so intense, it is very difficult to keep up with it. Inshallah that you will get into the university that you desire :) .

No, those unis are down my ends. And I live in London.
W'salaam

Umar001
06-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Yea well I know Kingston uni, well not much, but I know where abouts Kingston is I live near there kinda well i say near but hmm, anyway.

I got to college past Croydon and I know one sister who wears niqab sometimes, I havent heard of her having problems.

Wouldnt it be a problem with ID and stuff?

G-d knows best, anyhow, I hope you go someone good and do something beneficial.

Hijaabi22
07-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Is this truth?
w.s
i dont wear jilbaab etc but dont think thats true AT ALL!

Umm Yoosuf
07-08-2006, 08:20 PM
ID is a problem for sisters who wear Niqab, however you can work your way around it, sometimes Allah opens a way for you and they actually take a pciture whilist wearing the Niqab. But with some Uni's you can't get way with it, thats where you have to be smart- get a woman to check your ID picture.

Isra
07-09-2006, 12:21 AM
There actually might be a muslim community in your university. We have an Islam club at university of Delaware in the u.s.

Muslimaatan
07-10-2006, 07:51 PM
aah can't wait..one year left 4 me!

*Umm_Umar*
07-29-2006, 06:38 PM
:sl: Dear sis,

Well my cousins weared the niqab through out uni and alhamdulilah they didn't have any major problems :thumbs_up

They just graduated this yr.. and on their grad day, they weared their niqaab and jilbab with their gown and hat hehe, looked awesome :sister:

manaal
07-31-2006, 06:40 PM
If you are not admitted into a university just beacuse they don't like the way you dress, it is religious discrimmination and they are depriving you of a basic human right.
Go to court or complain to the authorities if this happens.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.