/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Correct word?

limitless
06-15-2006, 10:28 PM
:sl:

My mom told me that the word Mosque is a "bad" word to be used for musijied because it relates to "Mosqueto" (sp?) the bug that had that west-nail virus, still does. Is this true? She also told me that, it was derived from Christians/Jewish. Is this true? Thank you for answering.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mawaddah
06-15-2006, 10:31 PM
As muslims we have our own term for 'mosque' which is masjid. And our word has a much more beautiful meaning, which is ' the place of sujood'.
However I couldn't tell you whether it is 'bad' to use the word mosque. Allahu A'lam. However I did hear from one of the members here that the fact that it was derived from the word mosquito is a myth.

Anyone who can give more better insight to this insha'allah?

limitless
06-16-2006, 12:18 AM
:sl:

Allamdullah sister, I appericate you confirming this. I had an arguement and many others similar to this, where she calims this is from that and that etc... . We usually end up a very tough arguement where one finds the other one guilty. :)

:w:

north_malaysian
06-16-2006, 02:31 AM
Standard Arabic = Masjid
Egyptian Arabic = Masgid
Spanish = Mesquita

Europeans took the word from spanish - then it comes to mosque, moskee, etc.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
person
06-16-2006, 10:11 AM
wsalam wr wb. i dont no about your enquiry but i have noticed that a lot of people say masjid rather than mosque. look up on it insha Allah

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-16-2006, 10:27 AM
Yeah, better to use Masjid. It is the word used by the Prophet (SAW). But yeah, I also heard that mosquito thing is made up.
W'salaam

SirZubair
06-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Here are the words by which Masjid is known in some languages

English (mosque}; Turkish (camii,mescid); Italian (moschea); Spanish (mezquita);
French (mosquée); German (moschee); Afrikaans (moskee); Albanian (xhami);
Asturian (mezquita); Basque (meskita, moskea); Brazilian Portuguese (mesquite);
Bresciano (moschea); Breton (moskeenn); Catalan (mesquite); Chechen (mäzhdig);
Croatian (džamija); Czech (mešita); Danish (moské); Dutch (moskee);
Esperanto (moskeo); Estonian (mošee); Finnish (moskeija); Flemish (moskee);
Frisian (moskee); Galician (mezquita); Guarani (tupão); Hebrew;
Indonesian (masjid, mesjid); Irish (mosc).

As far as the Mosquito theory goes,ignore it. It is utter rubbish.

Wa'salaam

Muezzin
06-16-2006, 03:31 PM
'mosque
c.1400, moseak, probably from M.Fr. mosquée, from It. moschea, from Sp. mesquita (modern mezquita), from Arabic masjid "temple, place of worship," from sajada "he worshipped" + prefix ma- denoting "place." In M.E. as muskey, moseache, etc. '

Online Etymology Dictionary

There is a 'mezquita', but no 'mosquitoes' :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.