/* */

PDA

View Full Version : U.S. school board votes again to exclude Islamic holidays

sonz
06-16-2006, 05:34 AM
For the third year in a row, the Baltimore County Board of Education voted against including Islamic holidays in the 2007-2008 school calendar, despite years of lobbying by the county’s Muslim leaders, the Baltimore Sun reported.

Muslims attending the June 13 school board meeting expressed disappointment after the unanimous vote.

The school calendar approved by the board includes a day off for one Jewish holiday, Rosh Hashana, but not Yom Kippur, which falls on a weekend this year.

Members of the Baltimore County Muslim Council say that it is unfair that the school calendar includes Jewish holidays but excludes two Islamic holidays; Eid al- Fitr and Eid al-Adha.

School board member John Hayden tried to defend the broad’s vote, claiming that economic factors justify allowing holidays during Jewish feasts because there is a large number of Jewish teachers in the country and therefore the school system cannot afford to hire substitute teachers.

However, Hayden said that the school system will monitor attendance on the two Muslim holidays in the coming years to determine if there is a spike in student or teacher absences.

Dr. Bash Pharoan, president of the Baltimore County Muslim Council, and several Muslims attending the board meeting vowed to continue the fight to put the Muslim holidays on the school calendar.

"I will see you here next year," said one Muslim girl, a seventh-grader at Pine Grove Middle School in Carney.

The 2006-07 school year starts on August 27 and runs through June 13.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
06-16-2006, 06:54 AM
and Muslim countries recognized Christian festivals as public holidays.

Sis786
06-16-2006, 08:02 AM
That soo bad i know my nephews living in NY had exmas on the day of eid so they couldnt even pull a sickie..aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I FEEL LIKE WHACKING BUSHS HEAD AGAINST A WALL[MAD]aaaaaaaaaaa[/MAD]

wilberhum
06-16-2006, 11:04 PM
and Muslim countries recognized Christian festivals as public holidays.
What Muslim countries recognize what Christian festivals as public holidays?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
lavikor201
06-16-2006, 11:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
I was just about to say that.

wilberhum
06-16-2006, 11:19 PM
Well let me add
What Muslim countries recognize what Jewish festivals as public holidays?
I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for an answer.

afriend
06-16-2006, 11:21 PM
But isn't it unfair, that Jewish festivals go ahead...but not Islamic one's?

lavikor201
06-16-2006, 11:24 PM
First of all realize this is in Baltimore... not the whole USA.

There is a huge Jewish community in Balitimore, which outnumbers the Muslim community probably. It might have everything thing to do with the amount of Jewish teachers and not enough substitutes.

If enough people missed school for these holidays than they would probably just give the day off. It is all buissness my friend. Most likley, they cannot afford to replace all the Jewish teachers with subs.

Plus.... contrary to what someone posted before. No Muslim countries make Jewish or Christian Holidays public ones or do anything for them to the best of my knowledge.

wilberhum
06-16-2006, 11:26 PM
But isn't it unfair, that Jewish festivals go ahead...but not Islamic one's?
In a word Yes.

lavikor201
06-16-2006, 11:31 PM
I think that all days of worship should get the days off, but if a Muslim kid went to pray instead of school for a big holiday, then he would most likley be excused. They said they will see how many teachers and students are absent those days.

In heavily Musmlim communities in America I know for a fact that Muslim holidays get the day off, and Jewish are not, because there are simply not that many Jews there.

ManchesterFolk
06-16-2006, 11:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lavikor201
I think that all days of worship should get the days off, but if a Muslim kid went to pray instead of school for a big holiday, then he would most likley be excused. They said they will see how many teachers and students are absent those days.

In heavily Musmlim communities in America I know for a fact that Muslim holidays get the day off, and Jewish are not, because there are simply not that many Jews there.
That makes sense. It seems to be all about the amount of teachers that observe the holiday. If Baltimore has a lot of teachers that are Jewish and observe the holiday than they should make the day off.

If there is a city that has many Muslim teachers and few Jewish ones, the Muslim ones will get the day off. It is all about buisness and about if they can replace the teachers with substitutes.

catmando
06-17-2006, 03:32 AM
There should not be ANY religious holidays in public schools. PERIOD.

khushnood
06-17-2006, 04:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by catmando
I dont think there's anything wrong in having religious holidays in public schools.what made u think ab:? ut that?

SirZubair
06-17-2006, 06:10 AM
Such is life.

Step 1 ) Buy a truckload of bricks,build a bridge..

Step 2 ) Get over it.

Muezzin
06-17-2006, 08:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
Such is life.

Step 1 ) Buy a truckload of bricks,build a bridge..

Step 2 ) Get over it.
Step 3) Just take a day or two off for Eid. Simple.

That soo bad i know my nephews living in NY had exmas on the day of eid so they couldnt even pull a sickie..aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I FEEL LIKE WHACKING BUSHS HEAD AGAINST A WALL
This however, is a good point. It's happened to relatives of mine. They just pray/celebrate the day after.

SirZubair
06-17-2006, 09:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Step 3) Just take a day or two off for Eid. Simple.
Exactly ;)

Brothers and sisters,it is called Sacrifice.

Dont expect everything to be handed to us on a golden platter,make sacrifices,give up some of your 'holiday period',take some days off work for Eid.

Last year,i took days off during ramadan but forgot to book a day off for eid.

Insha'allah this year i will work through-out ramadan,but will take 2-3 days off around Eid. :)

wa'salaam.

Ann
06-17-2006, 10:48 AM
I live in the US and let me tell you I was disgusted last year at how our city handled the request for Islamic holidays to be added to the school calendar. The request was submitted and promptly denied to which the muslim community responded politely by saying we were saddened by the decision and that we thought it quite unfair that christians and jewish had there holidays recognized while ours was ignored. In resonse to this the school board decided in a most antagonistic move to take away ALL religious holidays.

Now come on...you know these ppl knew full well any backlash of such an action would be against muslims and let me tell you it worked! There was huge uproar by the christian and jewish community, to which the school board collectively did thier best to look sheepishly innocent while constantly laying the blame for the holiday ban at the feet of the muslims. This of course only incited further misunderstanding and anger toward us. Meanwhile the media continually allowed chrisitan and jewish fewers to give their comments on tv and of course never bothered to edit out any of the name calling. Needless to say no muslims were given equal air time. And in the end...the ban was lifted...all christian and jewish holidays were reinstated and the islamic hoidays once again ignored.
I swear sometimes I hate this country!

aamirsaab
06-17-2006, 10:53 AM
:sl:
Even christmas?!

x Maz x
06-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Yeesh just bunk that day :), take a leaf outta ma book muhahahaha, People just make their lives soo soo hard for themselves, InshAllah just take a coupla days of, do your thang and Voila no complaints...I hope, as SirZubair quite rightly said "Such is life"...Deal wi it or kill yourself :) Peace x

SirZubair
06-17-2006, 12:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by x Maz x
..I hope, as SirZubair quite rightly said "Such is life"...Deal wi it or kill yourself :) Peace x
Yikes ! Sis ! watch it ! don't encourage them ! ;D There are enough nut-case muslims out there,we dont want more do we? ;D

HeiGou
06-17-2006, 02:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Even christmas?!
That's a religious holiday? Are you sure?

aamirsaab
06-17-2006, 04:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
That's a religious holiday? Are you sure?
Technically yes and technically no; it's a religious day (although, some would argue) that has been turned into a holiday (well, in the UK atleast), thus religious holiday and hence the use of "technical". But, I was being sarcastic in that post.

Personally, I think that eid should just remain as it is: For muslims only - their is a hadith I think that mentions something along the lines of "they have their holidays just as we have ours" or something along those lines (can't remember of the top of my head) which would be useful (hint hint).

lavikor201
06-18-2006, 01:07 PM
Christmas has been hijacked by greeting card companies, and toy stores.

x Maz x
06-18-2006, 01:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
Yikes ! Sis ! watch it ! don't encourage them ! ;D There are enough nut-case muslims out there,we dont want more do we? ;D
LOOOOOOOL @ Ya breda :giggling: ...Ent encouraging them as such...helping them out wi sum advise and solution 2 ther probs :rollseyes
:w: x

Malaikah
06-18-2006, 01:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ann
I live in the US and let me tell you I was disgusted last year at how our city handled the request for Islamic holidays to be added to the school calendar. The request was submitted and promptly denied to which the muslim community responded politely by saying we were saddened by the decision and that we thought it quite unfair that christians and jewish had there holidays recognized while ours was ignored. In resonse to this the school board decided in a most antagonistic move to take away ALL religious holidays.

Now come on...you know these ppl knew full well any backlash of such an action would be against muslims and let me tell you it worked! There was huge uproar by the christian and jewish community, to which the school board collectively did thier best to look sheepishly innocent while constantly laying the blame for the holiday ban at the feet of the muslims. This of course only incited further misunderstanding and anger toward us. Meanwhile the media continually allowed chrisitan and jewish fewers to give their comments on tv and of course never bothered to edit out any of the name calling. Needless to say no muslims were given equal air time. And in the end...the ban was lifted...all christian and jewish holidays were reinstated and the islamic hoidays once again ignored.
I swear sometimes I hate this country!

Thanks for your input sister. :)

To those people saying things along the lines as get over it, i ask you, why? Is that what Muslims are about these days? when there is obvious discrimination and injustice going on you just tell them to get over it? Certainly there is no need to sit down and have a sook over it, but one must fight for justice, you cant just let yourself get walked over...

You dont just 'get over' things, you fix them, you make them right so that justice prevails..., otherwise you will be walked over again and again. And im not just talking about this situation, this is about all of lifes situations.. ok so for most of us its not a big deal, you can just skip a day of school (i went to a muslim school alhamdulilah so this had never been an issue for me), but obviously for others it means a little more than that, so dont just tell them to get over it.

p.s. yeh youd think christmas was more about santa clause then Jesus, how sad.

lavikor201
06-18-2006, 03:34 PM
yeh youd think christmas was more about santa clause then Jesus, how sad.
Its all about the gift cards now. :-)

muslima04
06-18-2006, 05:39 PM
in our school we took three days off for eid and nobody said anything.......if people just keep on doing their thing and muslim people actually enforce their opinions the school district would have no choice but to recognize eid as a holiday.

lavikor201
06-18-2006, 06:25 PM
True, some people are just not educated in the subject of others cultures.

Syed Nizam
06-18-2006, 06:40 PM
How's about Malaysia?....:?

Ghazi
06-18-2006, 07:40 PM

Whats the big deal simply don't go to school for them days, I don't care if I've got school,work or even jury duty i'd still wouldn't be doing anything for atleast for three days.

lavikor201
06-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Whats the big deal simply don't go to school for them days, I don't care if I've got school,work or even jury duty
Exactly. The schools, will more than likley excuse the absense.

searchingsoul
07-27-2006, 07:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sis786
That soo bad i know my nephews living in NY had exmas on the day of eid so they couldnt even pull a sickie..aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I FEEL LIKE WHACKING BUSHS HEAD AGAINST A WALL[MAD]aaaaaaaaaaa[/MAD]

Why is this a Bush problem?

searchingsoul
07-27-2006, 07:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by khushnood
I dont think there's anything wrong in having religious holidays in public schools.what made u think ab:? ut that?
Because it is the topic of this conversation.

Back to the topic, the holidays a school system recognizes is not determined at a state or federal level. Each school system decided their own holiday schedule. The religious population of the school system should determine the holidays recognized. Anything else would be impractical.

north_malaysian
07-27-2006, 08:04 AM
* Albania - New Year, Catholic Easter, Orthodox Easter, Christmas
* Azerbaijan - New Year
* Bahrain - New Year
* Bangladesh - Christmas
* Brunei - New Year, Christmas
* Chad - New Year, Assumption Day, All Saints Day, Christmas
* Cyprus, Turkish Republic of Northern - New Year
* Egypt - Coptic New Yr, Coptic Easter,
* Gambia - New Year, Assumption Day, Christmas
* Guinea - New Year, All Saints Day, Christmas Day
* Indonesia - New Year, Good Friday, Ascension Thursday, Christmas
* Iraq - New Year
* Kazakhstan - New Year
* Kuwait - New Year
* Kyrgyzstan - New Year, Orthodox Christmas
* Lebanon - New Year, Armenian Christmas, Orthodox Christmas, Feast of St. Maron, Assumption Day, All Saints Day, Christmas
* Malaysia - New Year, Christmas
* Mali - New Year, Christmas
* Mauritania - New Year
* Niger - New Year, Christmas
* Pakistan - Christmas
* Qatar - New Year
* Senegal - New Year, Assumption Day, All Saints Day, Christmas
* Somalia - New Year
* Sudan - Christmas
* Syria - New Year, Christmas
* Tajikistan - New YeaR
* Tunisia - New Year
* Turkey - New Year
* Turkmenistan - New Year
* Uzbekistan - New Year, Good Friday, Easter Sunday
* Yemen - New Year

Source: http://www.earthcalendar.net

north_malaysian
07-27-2006, 08:07 AM
* Albania -

north_malaysian
07-27-2006, 08:24 AM
* Albania - New Year, Easter Monday, Orthodox Easter Monday, Mother Teresa Day, Christmas Day

* Algeria - New Year

* Azerbaijan - New Year, Orthodox New Year, Orthodox Easter

* Bahrain - New YEar

* Bangladesh - New Year, Christmas

* Bosnia - New YEar, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Corpus Cristi, Assumption Day, Virgin Mary Nativity, All saints Day, Christmas

* Burkina FAso - New Year, Easter Monday, Ascension, All Saints Day, Christmas

* Chad - New Year, Easter Monday, All Saints Day, Christmas

* Cocos Islands - New YEar, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day

* Comoros - Christmas

* Djibouti - New Year, Christmas

* Egypt - Coptic Christmas, Orthodox Easter, Orthodox Easter Monday

* Gambia - New Year, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Assumption, Christmas

* Guinea - New Year, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Assumption, All Saints Day, Christmas

* Indonesia - New Year, Good Friday, Ascension, Christmas

* Iraq - New Year

* Jordan - New Year, Christmas

Abdulwaheed
07-27-2006, 08:37 AM
I wish Australia would give us a public holiday for Eid. i think i have exams during eid as well

searchingsoul
07-27-2006, 08:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdulwaheed
I wish Australia would give us a public holiday for Eid. i think i have exams during eid as well
Are you not excused during Eid? Have you ever tried?

north_malaysian
07-27-2006, 08:44 AM
* Albania - New Year, Easter Monday, Orthodox Easter Monday, Mother Teresa Day, Christmas Day

* Algeria - New Year

* Azerbaijan - New Year, Orthodox New Year, Orthodox Easter

* Bahrain - New YEar

* Bangladesh - New Year, Christmas

* Bosnia - New YEar, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Corpus Cristi, Assumption Day, Virgin Mary Nativity, All saints Day, Christmas

* Burkina FAso - New Year, Easter Monday, Ascension, All Saints Day, Christmas

* Chad - New Year, Easter Monday, All Saints Day, Christmas

* Cocos Islands - New YEar, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day

* Comoros - Christmas

* Djibouti - New Year, Christmas

* Gambia - New Year, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Assumption, Christmas

* Guinea - New Year, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Assumption, All Saints Day, Christmas

* Indonesia - New Year, Good Friday, Ascension, Christmas

* Iraq - New Year

* Jordan - New Year, Christmas

* Kazakhstan - New Year, Orthodox New YeaR, Orthodox Easter

* Kuwait - New Year

* Kyrgyzstan - New Year, Orthodox Christmas, Orthodox New YEar, Orthodox Easter

* Lebanon - New Year, Armenian Christmas, Orthodox Christmas, St. Maron Day, Good Friday, Orthodox Good Friday, Orthodox Easter, Assumption, Christmas

* Malaysia - New Year, Christmas, Good Friday (East Malaysia ONLY)

* Maldives - New Yer

* MAli - New Year, Easter Monday, Christmas

* Mauritania - New Year

* Morocco - New Year

* Niger - New Year, Eaaster Monday, Christmas

* Oman - New Year

* Palestine - New Year, Armenian Christmas, Orthodox Christmas, Orthodox New YEar, Orthodox Epiphany, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Orthoodox Good Friday, Orthodox Easter Monday, Christmas. Feast of St. Stephen

* Senegal - New Year, Easter Monday, Ascension, Assumption, All Saints Day, Christmas

* Somalia - New Year

* Syria - New Year, Easter, Orthodox Easter, Christmas

* Tajikistan - New Year, Orthodox New Year

* Tunisia - New Year

* Turkey - New Year

* Turkmenistan - New Year, Orthodox New Year

* UAE - New Year

* Uzbekistan - New Year, Orthodox New Year, Orthodox Easter

* Western Sahara - New Year

* Yemen - New Year

Source: http://www.bank-holidays.com

Abdulwaheed
07-27-2006, 08:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by searchingsoul
Are you not excused during Eid? Have you ever tried?
i think i can apply for special consideration. If they accept my reason for not going to the exam, then i will b allowed to resit the exam.

north_malaysian
07-27-2006, 09:30 AM
MUSLIM HOLIDAYS AS PUBLIC HOLIDAYS IN NON MUSLIM COUNTRIES

* Uganda - Eid Al Adha, Eid Al Fitr

* Trinidad & Tobago - Eid al Fitr

* Togo - Eid Al Adha, Eid Al Fitr

* Tanzania - Eid Al Adha, ISlamic New Year, Eid Al Fitr

* Suriname - Eid Al Fitr

* Sri Lanka - Eid Al Adha, Prophet Muhammad's Birthday, Eid Al Fitr

* Singapore - Eid Al Adha, Eid Al Fitr

* Sierra Leone - Eid al Adha, Prophet Muhammad's Birthday, Eid Al Fitr

* Rwanda - Eid Al Fitr

* Philippines - Eid Al Fitr

* Nigeria - Eid Al Adha, Prophet Muhammad's Bithday, Eid Al Fitr

* Mauritius - Eid al Fitr

* Malawi - Eid Al Fitr

* Macedonia - Eid Al Adha, Eid Al Fitr

* Kenya - Eid Al Fitr

* India - Eid al Adha, Eid Al Fitr

* Guyana - Eid Al Adha, Prophet Muhammad's Birthday

* Guinea Bissau - Eid Al Adha, Eid Al Fitr

* Gabon - Eid Al Adha, Eid Al Fitr

* Ethiopia - Eid Al Adha, Prophet Muhammad's Birthday, Eid Al Fitr

* Eritrea - Eid Al Adha, Prophet Muhammad's Birthday, Eid Al Fitr

* Cote d'Ivoire - Eid Al Adha, Prophet Muhammad's Birthday, Eid Al Fitr

* Christmas Island - Eid Al Adha, Eid al Fitr

* Central African Republic - Eid Al Adha

* Cameroon - Eid al Adha, Eid Al Fitr

* Burundi - Eid Al Fitr

* Benin - Eid Al Adha, Prophet Muhammad's Birthday, Eid Al Fitr

source: http://www.bank-holidays.com

HeiGou
07-27-2006, 09:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
* Albania - Easter Monday, Orthodox Easter Monday, Mother Teresa Day, Christmas Day

* Azerbaijan - Orthodox New Year, Orthodox Easter

* Bangladesh - Christmas

* Bosnia - Good Friday, Easter Monday, Corpus Cristi, Assumption Day, Virgin Mary Nativity, All saints Day, Christmas

* Brunei - Christmas

* Burkina FAso - Easter Monday, Ascension, All Saints Day, Christmas

* Chad - Easter Monday, All Saints Day, Christmas

* Cocos Islands - Good Friday, Easter Monday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day

* Comoros - Christmas

* Djibouti - Christmas

* Gambia - Good Friday, Easter Monday, Assumption, Christmas

* Guinea - Good Friday, Easter Monday, Assumption, All Saints Day, Christmas

* Indonesia - Good Friday, Ascension, Christmas

* Jordan - Christmas

* Kazakhstan - Orthodox New YeaR, Orthodox Easter

* Kyrgyzstan - Orthodox Christmas, Orthodox New YEar, Orthodox Easter

* Lebanon - Armenian Christmas, Orthodox Christmas, St. Maron Day, Good Friday, Orthodox Good Friday, Orthodox Easter, Assumption, Christmas

* Malaysia - Christmas, Good Friday (East Malaysia ONLY)

* MAli - Easter Monday, Christmas

* Niger - Eaaster Monday, Christmas

* Palestine - Armenian Christmas, Orthodox Christmas, Orthodox New YEar, Orthodox Epiphany, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Orthoodox Good Friday, Orthodox Easter Monday, Christmas. Feast of St. Stephen

* Senegal - Easter Monday, Ascension, Assumption, All Saints Day, Christmas

* Syria - Easter, Orthodox Easter, Christmas

* Tajikistan - Orthodox New Year

* Uzbekistan - Orthodox Easter

Source: http://www.bank-holidays.com
New Year is not a Christian celebration so if you don't mind I have edited your comments to reflect that. How many Muslim countries are there in the world and more to the point - how many give holidays to non-indigenous non-Muslims?

sameer
07-27-2006, 12:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
MUSLIM HOLIDAYS AS PUBLIC HOLIDAYS IN NON MUSLIM COUNTRIES

* Trinidad & Tobago - Eid al Fitr

source: http://www.bank-holidays.com
I'm from Trinidad & Tobago.....we're trying to get Eid ul Adha also or instead of Eid ul Fitr.
But for now now...i usually take a day off for Eid ul Fitr.

ZOREENA
07-27-2006, 12:21 PM
I Dont Think We Should Work Then We All Be Fine!!! Next We Gona Fite About What Religion Time Is!! LOL!!!

sameer
07-27-2006, 12:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
New Year is not a Christian celebration
Neither is christmas a "christian holiday" as most christians liek to believe.

Check the link for history on christmas. BTW...its from a christian site..not a muslim one.

http://www.pathlights.com/theselastd.../tract_22m.htm

heres an excerp.

Church leaders adopted a pagan holiday, in spite of the protests of some godly local pastors. It was considered idolatry to do this, since it was nothing more than a heathen day of worship. In addition, the day for this worship had been selected in honor of Mithra, the sun god. December 25 was dedicated to the keeping of his birthday. Therefore, sincere Christians considered it to be a form of sun worship. The sun had reached its lowest angle in the sky on December 21 (the winter solstice), and the 25th was the first observable day in which it began rising in the noon sky. So December 25 had, for centuries, been celebrated as the "birth of the sun god."

But earnest believers recognized that Christians dare not accept pagan practices or pagan holidays. Those heathen customs could not be found in the Bible, so they ought to be shunned by conscientious Christians.

The Roman world was essentially pagan and many converts to Christianity had come to enjoy those festivities, and did not want to forsake them after baptism into the Christian church. When these half-converted church members rose to leadership positions, they made policy changes in agreement with contemporary heathen customs. And that is how we got Christmas.

Joe98
07-27-2006, 01:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sameer
Neither is christmas a "christian holiday" as most christians like to believe.
And yet Muslims refuse to come to my house, the house of an athiest, because a party in December might be connected to Christmas.

ZOREENA
07-27-2006, 01:14 PM
Is The New Year Not A Welcoming Of Another Year Of Christ???

sameer
07-27-2006, 01:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
And yet Muslims refuse to come to my house, the house of an athiest, because a party in December might be connected to Christmas.
Because it is a pagan festival....so we would not want to be mistaken of taking part in a pagan festival. Or even be mistaken for taken part in a christian festival by someone who dosent knwo better. Besides...if u serve alcohol in ure parties then this mite be aniother reason y ure muslim friends may not want to visit u at these parties.

catmando
07-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Neither is christmas a "christian holiday" as most christians liek to believe.

Check the link for history on christmas. BTW...its from a christian site..not a muslim one.

http://www.pathlights.com/theselastd.../tract_22m.htm

heres an excerp.

Church leaders adopted a pagan holiday, in spite of the protests of some godly local pastors. It was considered idolatry to do this, since it was nothing more than a heathen day of worship. In addition, the day for this worship had been selected in honor of Mithra, the sun god. December 25 was dedicated to the keeping of his birthday. Therefore, sincere Christians considered it to be a form of sun worship. The sun had reached its lowest angle in the sky on December 21 (the winter solstice), and the 25th was the first observable day in which it began rising in the noon sky. So December 25 had, for centuries, been celebrated as the "birth of the sun god."

But earnest believers recognized that Christians dare not accept pagan practices or pagan holidays. Those heathen customs could not be found in the Bible, so they ought to be shunned by conscientious Christians.

The Roman world was essentially pagan and many converts to Christianity had come to enjoy those festivities, and did not want to forsake them after baptism into the Christian church. When these half-converted church members rose to leadership positions, they made policy changes in agreement with contemporary heathen customs. And that is how we got Christmas.
Absolutely true. The Christians stole ALL our holidays.:mad:

Joe98
07-27-2006, 10:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ZOREENA
Is The New Year Not A Welcoming Of Another Year Of Christ???
No, its turning over the page of a calendar.

Joe98
07-27-2006, 10:49 PM
Besides...if u serve alcohol in ure parties....

In my country people always bring their own drinks to parties. And therefore I don't serve any drinks.

Looking4Peace
07-27-2006, 11:00 PM
Absolutely true. The Christians stole ALL our holidays.:mad:
lol thats so funny

ZOREENA
07-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Therz B.C then theres After.C.........so did that start 2006 yearz ago or not??

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.