/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Name change after conversion

glo
06-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Hi all

It seems common for converts to Islam to change their name after they convert.

This is a question for those converts this applies to:

1. What was your name prior to becoming a Muslim?
2. Why did you change your name?
3. Why did you chose that particular name?

Looking forward to your answers! :thankyou:

Blessings.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MinAhlilHadeeth
06-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Rabz=Vicky:giggling:

Rabi'ya
06-16-2006, 02:33 PM
looool

hey glo:) good thread

before I converted, as sis umm shaheed quite rightly sed, my name was Victoria - or Vicky

I changed it to Rabi'ya coz of the story of Rabia Basri. I really like the meaning of the name Rabi'ya too - it menas spring-time :)

check out this link for the sotyr of Rabia Basri :) LINK

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

Umar001
06-16-2006, 03:18 PM
Mine was Adam, as in the biblical guy, but i was always called Addi lol for short.

now Im Eesa Abdullah, because I love Jesus, and because I feel that through my life journey I have found out that Eesa is Abdullah, and that is one of the best things I have ever found out.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ummAbdillah
06-16-2006, 03:56 PM
salaam :)
now Im Eesa Abdullah, because I love Jesus, and because I feel that through my life journey I have found out that Eesa is Abdullah, and that is one of the best things I have ever found out.
manshallah :)

I changed it to Rabi'ya coz of the story of Rabia Basri. I really like the meaning of the name Rabi'ya too - it menas spring-time
manshallah rabi'ya is such a nice name :)

wa salaam

muslim_friend
06-16-2006, 05:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
Alhamdulillah!

Woodrow
06-16-2006, 05:14 PM
My reversion name is Abdullah. I changed to it to reflect my new life. I chose that because it means Servent of Allah(swt), and that is what I hope to be.

I use my given name of Woodrow as a posting ID, because that is the name I am known by on many sites. I'm keeping it so that when I invite people to various forums, they will know it is me, and that I have reverted to Islam. The good part is I checked with My Imam and he reassured me that the name Woodrow is not anti-Islamic. Essentialy it means "Protector of the Forest" or "Lives by the Forest" both of which are true. I am very much an environmentalist and until my recent move to Austin, I lived very deep in the forest.

Pk_#2
06-16-2006, 05:25 PM
AsalamuAlaykum,

wow alhamdhulillah

Rabz both ur names are really nice!! :) b4 and after

addi!! LOL das easier den spelling Easa fo sho,

mashaAllah nice names all, and bro Abdullah (Woodrow) ur original name had a nice meaning too!!

WalaykumSalaam.

Umar001
06-16-2006, 05:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tasmiyah_B
AsalamuAlaykum,

wow alhamdhulillah

Rabz both ur names are really nice!! :) b4 and after

addi!! LOL das easier den spelling Easa fo sho,

mashaAllah nice names all, and bro Abdullah (Woodrow) ur original name had a nice meaning too!!

WalaykumSalaam.
Yea its E then E then S then A lol not EASA lol

ps. ur sig isnt very nice, what with the censored bit, tut tut and I thought more of u!

Pk_#2
06-16-2006, 05:32 PM
oh yeah..it always looks right when i type, buh den u always seem to correct me...then yours looks right...i swear you edit my posts...

Anyways AsalamuAlaykum Addi! :p

Umar001
06-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Wa Aleykum Salam Taz

Tumi kamon achaw? (lol dont reply was jus testin myself)

So Taz whats your name mean, and why dont u change it!

Pk_#2
06-16-2006, 05:54 PM
AsalamuAlaykum,

woahh bro i think you know more bengali then i do...maybe you can teach me the answer lol

And don't call me Taz! or else ill call you Addi! (Tis Tj)

My name is the english equivalent for bismillah....you know what dah means ryt?

i don't wana change it i like it ....myt change my second name...

Your parents find you the name after you converted or yourself?

SistaHH
06-16-2006, 05:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
Mine was Adam, as in the biblical guy, but i was always called Addi lol for short.

mashallah every one has chosen such beautiful names.

I was wondering brother, why you didn't keep your name Adam, as Adam is also one of the prophets in Islam, so wouldn't it have been easier? btw I knw why you chose your new name as you have said so above!

Protected_Diamond
06-17-2006, 12:12 AM
:sl:

Alhamdulilah! nice names! :)

Umu 'Isa
06-17-2006, 07:04 AM
Hi Glo :)

My name prior to islam was Jessica , although i haven't changed it legally. I'd like to keep my name out of respect for my grandmother who named me.

But I do call myself Maryam, when in the company of other muslims. I guess i changed it because i like to be known as a muslim and not as a revert. If that makes any sense lol. It sometimes get a bit frustrating when you get special treatment just for that reason. I'd like to be treated equally.

I didnt chose my name, it was actually given to me when i converted :) so i decided to keep it. I like it anyway n its the name of Jesus's mother, Mary :statisfie

limitless
06-17-2006, 01:21 PM
:sl:

mashallah names! My name originally was Imran lol then for no reason my mom changed it to Ahsan :\ it is weird cause they aren't related to islam names at all, i couldn't find any meanings, yes I was born as a muslim :)

Pk_#2
06-17-2006, 01:46 PM
MashaAllah :) laydee Maryam my pretty sista!! Nice name

Bro Imran and Ahsan are nice names.

Abdul Fattah
06-18-2006, 12:26 AM
Haven't changed it...
But sometimes I wonder maybe I should.
I know it only needs to be changedwhen it has a bad meaning, but what is bad?
And if it's not mandotory in my case I can see both benefits and downsides on changing a name. So I'm not that sure...

north_malaysian
06-18-2006, 01:01 AM
There are people who retained their original names after converting to Islam in Prophet Muhammad's time like:

1) Bilal Bin Rabah (First Muezzin in Islam, from Ethiopia)
2) Mariyah (Prophet Muhammad's wife, from Egypt)
3) Salman Al Farisi (Prophet's companion, from Persia)

glo
06-18-2006, 05:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by steve
Haven't changed it...
But sometimes I wonder maybe I should.
I know it only needs to be changedwhen it has a bad meaning, but what is bad?
And if it's not mandotory in my case I can see both benefits and downsides on changing a name. So I'm not that sure...
Is Steve your real name?
What does it mean? Do you know?

rubiesand
06-18-2006, 10:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by limitless
My name originally was Imran lol then for no reason my mom changed it to Ahsan :\ it is weird cause they aren't related to islam names at all, i couldn't find any meanings

:sl: brother,

But yes they are Islamic names... Imran is the name of the father of Maryam (may Allah be pleased with her).

And Ahsan I think is a variant of Ihsan. Ihsan means to worship Allah as if you are seeing Him, and if you can't, then to realise that He sees you.

Abdul Fattah
06-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Actually my real name is Steven. But peopel have been calling me Steve for quite soem time, so eventually I got so used to it that I tend to say it's my name. It's root comes from the Greek name Στεφανος (Stephanos) meaning "crown". Saint Stephen was an early Christian martyr who was stoned to death, as told in Acts in the New Testament. The crown would refer to a laurel foliage worn as an emblem of victory. So some suggest the meaning is actually: the wearer of the crown, the victorer, the leader :p

Goku
06-19-2006, 09:41 PM
MashAllah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.