/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Has this occurred to any one about watching the football?

Daffodil
06-16-2006, 02:59 PM
Asalamulaikum

The awrah for a man is between his navel to his knees, men and women shudnt look at the awrah of other men and women. Footballers shorts come just above their knees so there fore its not permissible for us to look yet alot of ppl still watch the football, i dnt get why.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
06-16-2006, 03:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
Asalamulaikum

The awrah for a man is between his navel to his knees, men and women shudnt look at the awrah of other men and women. Footballers shorts come just above their knees so there fore its not permissible for us to look yet alot of ppl still watch the football, i dnt get why.
Perhaps people could block off the bottom half of the screen? :rollseyes

(Sorry, stupid joke ... just couldn't resist! :giggling: )

Protected_Diamond
06-16-2006, 03:03 PM
:sl:

I know ukhti, our imaam did a khutba on that - dedicated to footy. BTW we not allowed to have the england flag as well because it has a cross on which, is obvious but sometimes you don't think about these things. It's the same as wearing that neclace which the kafirs have with a cross...

Remember that hadith which states that we going to be raised with the people who we imitate and follow - so be careful & look after your hearafter inhsa' Allah

:w:

Daffodil
06-16-2006, 03:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ninjaress

I know ukhti, our imaam did a khutba on that - dedicated to footy. BTW we not allowed to have the england flag as well because it has a cross on which, is obvious but sometimes you don't think about these things. It's the same as wearing that neclace which the kafirs have with a cross...

Remember that hadith which states that we going to be raised with the people who we imitate and follow - so be careful & look after your hearafter inhsa' Allah

Yep the flag issue i forgot all about that. Yep ppl are very ignorant.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
06-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Ladies discussing footy in this context? There's only one thing for it. I'm going to count the amount of female members who post on this thread and mention at least one of the following television programmes:

EastEnders
Coronation Street
Emmerdale
Home and Away
Neighbours

On-topic, I think this has been discussed. I'll see if I can find the thread inshallah.

Ghazi
06-16-2006, 03:12 PM
Salaam

Tell that to some people and you'll get called an extremist, I agree with your points.

Muezzin
06-16-2006, 03:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

Tell that to some people and you'll get called an extremist, I agree with your points.
Nah, I'm just called sexist when I say women like to watch soaps.

Oh, wait you were talking to Daffodil :p

Daffodil
06-16-2006, 03:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Ladies discussing footy in this context? There's only one thing for it. I'm going to count the amount of female members who post on this thread and mention at least one of the following television programmes:

EastEnders
Coronation Street
Emmerdale
Home and Away
Neighbours

On-topic, I think this has been discussed. I'll see if I can find the thread inshallah.
What does that have anything to do with it i dnt understand.

We dnt have tv in our house so no we dnt watch any of those programmes. I wouldnt bring up an issue such as this if I had double standards.

Muezzin
06-16-2006, 03:14 PM
What does that have anything to do with it i dnt understand.

We dnt have tv in our house so no we dnt watch any of those programmes. I wouldnt bring up an issue such as this if I had double standards.
I was being lighthearted. No offence meant. :)

Protected_Diamond
06-16-2006, 03:15 PM

TV is bad anywhere, we not suppose to watch it for many reasons. These soaps are very addictive but can influence your ways in many ways. you can pick up their kind of behaviour and most of its bad anywhere. Like take my little sister for example shes learned a lot of swears just by watching a little bit of soaps. Alhamdualilah don't have a tv now :) So much better

Umar001
06-16-2006, 03:15 PM
Asalamulaikum

I have wondered about this for ages and noone has told me, I have never heard anyone like imam or somethin speak on this, they always say how we should not spend too much time and so on football and others say how some muslims cry over football but they aint never said it aint allowed.
Wierd hey, I thought it wouldnt be I been askin but noone seems to know for sure.

So sis did you come to the conclusion yourself or have you read anything about this matter?
Jus wondering.

Thank you

Daffodil
06-16-2006, 03:20 PM
TV is bad anywhere, we not suppose to watch it for many reasons. These soaps are very addictive but can influence your ways in many ways. you can pick up their kind of behaviour and most of its bad anywhere. Like take my little sister for example shes learned a lot of swears just by watching a little bit of soaps. Alhamdualilah don't have a tv now So much better
Asalamulaikum.

I agree sister however please lets not turn this thread into "tv is bad" I was just wanting to know why ppl watch the football when the footballers awrah is on show. I mention football because its the worldcup at the moment and alot of ppl are going to be watching it. It would be better for them to listen on the radio rather then watching it.

My husband is allowed to have the football on in the corner of his comp at work but he told them its ok n they were baffled n he explained to them about the awrah thing, n his collegues agreed that the muslim teams are missing out on dawah oportunities because of this as they cud wear longer shorts n this wud cause ppl to ask questions regarding the muslim faith.

Also there is a footballer my husband was telling me about however i cant remember the guys name but hes a revert n wears long cycling shorts underneath his football shorts so that it covers his awrah, May Allah swt reward him. Ameen.

Far7an
06-16-2006, 03:25 PM

I agree, put away the televisions and flags, and get the radios out!

Come on (insert country of your choice)!

Umar001
06-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Wait a second, now Im jus wondering, cyclin shorts canot cover someone, I mean thats worse than jeans right?

I mean May Allah guide me and the brother, but from what I have been told, tight stuff aint a cover and I dont think you can get much tighter than cyclin shorts lol.

Salam Aleykum

Muezzin
06-16-2006, 03:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an

I agree, put away the televisions and flags, and get the radios out!
:D

Come on (insert country of your choice)!
Uruguay!

...did they even qualify? And did I even spell it correctly?

Daffodil
06-16-2006, 03:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
Wait a second, now Im jus wondering, cyclin shorts canot cover someone, I mean thats worse than jeans right?

I mean May Allah guide me and the brother, but from what I have been told, tight stuff aint a cover and I dont think you can get much tighter than cyclin shorts lol.

Salam Aleykum
I cant remember if my husband sed cycling shorts or regular gym shorts, but even so atleast its an attempt to cover the awrah. N theyre worn under the football shorts so its not like how u think.

Umar001
06-16-2006, 03:37 PM
I used to play soccer/football, my team mates wore them under their shorts, so where the shorts end you'll see a bit of really tight cover, which doesnt do much as for hiding the shape of the tigh.

Anyhow I hope someone tells the brother.

I dont get it though, I read a hadeeth (yall correct me if im mistaken) where the prophet peace be upon him covered his tigh only when Umar I think came in, but not when Abu Bakr was there, I don't get that, and the man givin the fatwa was using it as a proof that the tigh should be covered, hmm.

anyhow, I'd love to see some scholars say something about this, I mean jee saudi is in the world cup.

Ghazi
06-16-2006, 03:40 PM

mean jee saudi is in the world cup
Sudia have also got a goverment which doesn't rule by allah's law.

Daffodil
06-16-2006, 03:41 PM
Just because saudi is in the world cup doesnt mean practicing muslims are.

Umar001
06-16-2006, 03:46 PM
pop up blockers, and if ur worried about things popin up then dont go oursite ur house to the masjid either :p

jus kididn

on another note, the reason I stated that sauid were int he world cup was that, if saudi is then i mean it cant be that obscure of a thing for scholar, they must know something about footy by now.

Ghazi
06-16-2006, 03:58 PM
pop up blockers, and if ur worried about things popin up then dont go oursite ur house to the masjid either :p

jus kididn

on another note, the reason I stated that sauid were int he world cup was that, if saudi is then i mean it cant be that obscure of a thing for scholar, they must know something about footy by now.

The good old days of the region of sudia of being a good islamic state are gone, these days it's about power!

Umar001
06-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Hmmm but surely there are some scholars who are truthful! I hope.

Far7an
06-16-2006, 04:06 PM
I don't think they meant anything was wrong with the scholars in saudi, rather those who govern the country. And about the football team, I hardly think a fatwa could convince them against participating in the world cup.

Ghazi
06-16-2006, 04:07 PM

The scholars have nothing to do with the team, A shiek once got arrested by the Sudia goverment simply cause he made dua for the mujahideen. Anyways lets get back on topic.

Daffodil
06-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Just because they have to cover the awrah doesnt mean they cant play footy, there isnt a rule saying "football shorts have to be such a such length" they wud simply need to tell the tailer guy to make them a little longer.

Umar001
06-16-2006, 04:14 PM
Hmm Im not sure sis Daffodil, I dont know how it would go down, but that would be cool, although it would get in the way but i guess thats a sacrafise.

Now with regards to the scholar issue, I am not suggesting that through a fatwa the saudi team would stop playing, nothing like that, all I was saying is that I have never seen a fatwa on such a matter as watchin football, and with football being so popular, and saudi having their own team, we can be sure that scholar do know what football is and so on. Thats All, I dont really know if players would stop, but if scholars clearly said people shouldnt watch footbal if the tighs aint covered then alot of people wouldnt watch it.

Daffodil
06-16-2006, 04:17 PM
Hmm Im not sure sis Daffodil, I dont know how it would go down, but that would be cool, although it would get in the way but i guess thats a sacrafise.

Now with regards to the scholar issue, I am not suggesting that through a fatwa the saudi team would stop playing, nothing like that, all I was saying is that I have never seen a fatwa on such a matter as watchin football, and with football being so popular, and saudi having their own team, we can be sure that scholar do know what football is and so on. Thats All, I dont really know if players would stop, but if scholars clearly said people shouldnt watch footbal if the tighs aint covered then alot of people wouldnt watch it.
u dnt need to hear that from a scholar, we know that we cant look at the awrah of another person, so why wud it be any different in the case of seeing it on tv or on the street etc.

And also alot of ppl dnt watch it for that reason such as my husband.

Far7an
06-16-2006, 04:18 PM

Someone gave me this link...

go to http://www.memritv.org/search.asp and under Clip # type 1162

"Saudi Cleric Nasser bin Sliman Al-Omar: People Who Watch the World Cup Will Have to Answer on Judgment Day"

Daffodil
06-16-2006, 04:22 PM
Jizakallah khair for that bro farhan

Ghazi
06-16-2006, 04:24 PM

Mash'Allah the brother had some good points how who is he, and I was shocked to here about the guy cursing the muazin(spelling)

Umar001
06-16-2006, 04:27 PM
Thanks bro and I jus like to get clarification from scholars since if I say anything to anyone they prolly would question me.

Thats all

EDIT: Yes the Shaykh has some beautiful points which could be asked about most things in life.

Man wierd that he didnt touch on the point of the awrah thing, this is kinda what I'm getting at, that woulda been a simple yet effective statement for him to make alongside all those other beautiful points.

Hmm.

Salam and thanks

S_87
06-16-2006, 07:25 PM

why would they stop? saudi tv shows stuff like that anyway. as for for the hadith, who was it narrated by??

and memritv playing slow on me :grumbling

aah its working now, good points he makes!

chacha_jalebi
06-16-2006, 07:32 PM
its true what sista daffodil sed :D mashallah

dats y i say watch cricket :p all covered up :p :D:D:D:D

Helena
06-16-2006, 07:38 PM
okay i agree wid sis daffadil...well am also into footie... i only watch worldcup....yeah but am not looking at their legs...am too focused on whose gna score man...

glo
06-16-2006, 07:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by helena
okay i agree wid sis daffadil...well am also into footie... i only watch worldcup....yeah but am not looking at their legs...am too focused on whose gna score man...
In fairness, it must be pretty difficult to watch football without noticing the players' legs. If it was volleyball or basketball it may be different ... but football ...? :?

Halima
06-17-2006, 12:29 AM

Someome please clarify this for me,

If it is only a 'few inches' above the knees, then what is the big prohibition about it? :?

F.Y.
06-17-2006, 12:37 AM
daffodil - who's the revert player? can you find out who he plays for?

Peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.