/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is Islam's view on Fish?

lavikor201
06-17-2006, 11:41 PM
Is it Harram for you all to eat fish? What are the laws on this.... I run a Cafe' so I am curious.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Aminah_92
06-17-2006, 11:45 PM
no we can eat any types of fish, but some types of fish such as squids and muscles (i dunno if thats how u spell it)

Aminah_92
06-17-2006, 11:46 PM
I wish i cud edit that, but i was about to say we can't have those types, i forgot the name u wud give that type of fish

amirah_87
06-17-2006, 11:47 PM
Hey there,

every creature livin' in the sea has been made halal for us to eat!! :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Aminah_92
06-17-2006, 11:49 PM
but i cud swear that some types like squid are haram?

amirah_87
06-17-2006, 11:51 PM
no sis they're halal.....there's a lenghty post of this some that goes into detail about this..just go visit that insha'allah

Aminah_92
06-17-2006, 11:55 PM
oh thats cool! but still, i think ill give squid a miss, yuck!

lavikor201
06-18-2006, 12:15 AM
LOL. Thank you guys...

I wasn't sure because "Kashrut" which are the Jewish Laws of food make it so we cnnot eat some types of fish.

Kosher fish are identified by their scales. Obviously, crustaceans (such as lobster) and other shellfish (such as clams) are not Kosher because they lack scales. All "scales" however, are not Halachikally equal. Halacha defines a fish scale as a growth on the side of a fish similar to a fingernail – it must be removable without damage to the skin of the fish. Sturgeon, although it has primitive bony plates on its sides, is not considered Kosher because the scales cannot be removed without damaging the flesh. Sharks are similarly not Kosher, because their skin is covered with tiny teeth-like armor, which are not considered scales at all. The first step in determining a Kosher fish is verifying that it has a Kosher scale. Although many Kosher fish are completely covered with scales, Halacha requires only a minimum number of scales to accord a fish Kosher status (see Y.D. 83:1). Tuna, for example, have very few scales, yet are nevertheless considered a Kosher fish.

Woodrow
06-18-2006, 12:25 AM
Lavikor, If you follow kashrut for the fish it will be halal. There are some fish that are Haraam to Muslim but they are also not Kashrut. Basicaly, to be halal the seafood needs to have visible scales, swim, and have fins. Some fish that are Haraam are Cat-fish, Eels, Sharks, shell fish. some that are questionable are Shrimp, prawns, and squid.

lavikor201
06-18-2006, 12:32 AM
Thats good thank you. I guess Fish will be on the menu soon. lol.

north_malaysian
06-18-2006, 01:23 AM
For those Muslims who follow Shafiite jurisdiction anything that live in the water and cannot survive outside the water are halal. Israeli Arabs are mostly who follows Shafiite jurisdiction.

According to Yusuf Al Qardawi, even if there are sea-dogs or sea-hogs and they are ultimately marine animal, there are permissable to eat.

"And it is He Who has subjected the sea (to you) in order that you may eat fresh meat from it ...." (Koran:16:14)

"The game of the sea is permitted to you and so is its food, a provision for you and for travelers by sea...." (Koran:5:99)

Muslims are also allowed to eat meat slaughtered by Jews.

lavikor201
06-18-2006, 02:02 AM
Thank you for your help, all of you. Islam and Judaism's diatary laws seem to be similar in a way.

samina1
06-18-2006, 02:11 AM
as far as i knw i was told or my family n afcrz shikhs say tht fish is not haram bcz its a sea food n thy dnt have 2 kill da fish , if we cnt eat da chickens thy sale in KFC bcz thy did not start bismiallah with it, before cutin da head of da chicken, so its not da same as fish i beliv.., we can alwas eat fish.. i dnt think im helpful at all but i was told fish r not haram.. so im not sure abt da islamic rulin abt it....

Woodrow
06-18-2006, 02:16 AM
Lavikor,

Here in the States we eat Kosher when we can not find Halal. Yes, the dietary laws are nearly identical. What is interesting is in the community I live in we are nearly equaly divided Jew and Muslim. During our individual holidays we often cook a little something for each other. We share a lot of things together. Peacefull coexistance is possible. If small communities like the one I live in can do it, perhaps one day it can happen between countries.

Zohair
06-18-2006, 04:52 AM
Lavikor,

I don't know if you know this but Muslims are even allowed to eat Kosher meat! Allah allows the muslims to eat from the people of the book, as he says this numerous times in the Qur'an. the "people of the book" are christians and jews. we can't eat from christians now becuase the people who cut the meat, you don't really know are christian or not, they could be aethiest or some other religion.

but kosher food is strictly cut from Jews, so it is allowed for muslims to eat :).

seek.learn
06-18-2006, 05:00 AM
Salaam o alaikum,

Ummm. I've been told that crabs are haraam as well...?
Could some one tell me the link for this thread that sister amirah_87 mentions? Would like to check up on it.

JazakAllah u khairun.

And Lavikor201, thank you, for it was great learning about jewish law on sea food.

Peace,
Alaikum Salaam

Zohair
06-18-2006, 05:04 AM
there is a difference of opinion. some say it is makrooh (disliked, but not a sin) some say it is permissible.

seek.learn
06-18-2006, 05:08 AM
Salaam o alaikum,

JazakAllah u khairun.

Alaikum Salaam

Woodrow
06-18-2006, 05:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zohair
there is a difference of opinion. some say it is makrooh (disliked, but not a sin) some say it is permissible.
I've been told that Shrimp, crabs, lobster and other crustaceans are Makrooh.

I've heard divided opinions about Squid, octopus, clams and oysters. some tell me they are Makrooh others tell me they are Haraam and others just look at me funny and say YECH!!!!

Actually before I reverted Calimari (squid) was my favorite sea food. But, since I reverted I no longer eat it to be on the safe side.

seek.learn
06-18-2006, 05:20 AM
Salaam o alaikum,

JazakAllah u khairun

Alaikum Salaam

Looking4Peace
06-18-2006, 05:36 AM
isnt anything from the sea permissible?, and as for shelfish, its a known fact that it contains less mercery and other toxins because of the shelling, so i do not understand any of this nor heard of it

north_malaysian
06-18-2006, 06:18 AM
When it's come to meat slaughtered by Ahlul Kitab, it secured to eat kosher than meat slaughtered by Christians.

And then...

"Someone asked Abu al-Darda whether he could eat the flesh of a lamb, slaughtered for the Church of St. George, which had been given to him. Abu al-Darda answered, "O Allah, may you pardon us! Are they not People of the Book, whose food is halal for us, and ours for them? He then told the person to eat it." (Reported by al-Tabari)

Joe98
06-18-2006, 12:37 PM
How about whale meat?

seeker_of_ilm
06-18-2006, 12:46 PM
:sl:

Someone was saying to me that its permissable to eat meat from any McDonalds and similar fast food chains, because it is from people of the book. Whereas I know we can eat Kosher meat, but I'm sure McDonalds is not Kosher. So...?

aamirsaab
06-18-2006, 12:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by seeker_of_ilm

Someone was saying to me that its permissable to eat meat from any McDonalds and similar fast food chains, because it is from people of the book. Whereas I know we can eat Kosher meat, but I'm sure McDonalds is not Kosher. So...?
lol, the only thing halaal from McDonalds is fillet o fish and chips - and they are rip off prices. From what I've learnt, kosher meat is halal and we crustaceans are not halaal - in fact, anything with a shell we aren't allowed to eat.

sevgi
06-18-2006, 12:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab

lol, the only thing halaal from McDonalds is fillet o fish and chips - and they are rip off prices. From what I've learnt, kosher meat is halal and we crustaceans are not halaal - in fact, anything with a shell we aren't allowed to eat.
how can kosher meat be halal when its not cut with Allah's name being recited?:?

lavikor201
06-18-2006, 01:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by seeker_of_ilm

McDonalds in Israel... and Israel only. Completley follows our laws of Kashrut. lol. You can't get a Cheeseburger in a Kosher McDonalds because we can't mix meat and dairy. :)

amirah_87
06-18-2006, 02:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Lavikor, If you follow kashrut for the fish it will be halal. There are some fish that are Haraam to Muslim but they are also not Kashrut. Basicaly, to be halal the seafood needs to have visible scales, swim, and have fins. Some fish that are Haraam are Cat-fish, Eels, Sharks, shell fish. some that are questionable are Shrimp, prawns, and squid.

As salaamu alaykum,

do you have proof for that?..barakallahu feek!

sonz
06-18-2006, 02:27 PM
salama

chk this out

Question :
Please forgive me for my ignorance in this matter. I am very interested in learning the ways of Islam. My question concerns dietary rulings. What types of fish and seafood are permissible?
Thank you for your help.
Answer :
Praise be to Allaah.

Among the blessings that Allaah has bestowed upon us is the fact that He has made our religion easy for us, and has not made it too difficult or unbearable. He has allowed us many things that were forbidden according to previously-revealed laws. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… Allaah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you…” [al-Baqarah 2:185].

Hence all kinds of food from the sea are permissible, whether they are plants or animals, alive or dead. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel…” [al-Maa’idah 5:96]. Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “ Sayduhu (lit. hunting, pursuit) refers to whatever is taken from it alive, and ta’aamuhu (lit. its food) means whatever is taken dead.”

There are a few things – certain types of water animals – which some scholars exclude from the permission outlined above. These are:
Crocodiles. The correct view is that eating these is not allowed, because they have fangs and live on land – even though they may spend a lot of time in the water – so precedence should be given to the reason for forbidding it (it is a land animal that has fangs).
Frogs. It is not permitted to eat them because the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade killing them, as is reported in the hadeeth of ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn ‘Uthmaan, who said that the Messenger of Allaah

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade the killing of frogs. (Narrated by Imaam Ahmad and Ibn Maajah; see also Saheeh al-Jaami, 6970). The rule is that everything which we are forbidden to kill, we are not allowed to eat; if we are allowed to eat it we are allowed to kill it.

Some scholars exclude sea snakes, but the correct view is that as they live nowhere except in the water, we are permitted to eat them, because of the general nature of the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves …” [al-Maa’idah 5:96].

Otters and turtles. The correct view is that to be on the safe side, it is permissible to eat them after slaughtering them properly, because they live both on land and in the sea. Here the rule is that in the case of animals that live both on land and in the sea, the rules concerning land animals should be given precedence, to be on the safe side, so they must be slaughtered properly, except for crabs which do not need to be slaughtered, even though they live both on land and in the sea, because they do not have blood.

Everything that can cause harm is forbidden as food, even if it comes from the sea, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allaah is Most Merciful to you.” [al-Nisa’ 4:29] and: “… and do not throw yourselves into destruction…” [al-Baqarah 2:195].
(See al-Mughni, 11/83; Haashiyah al-Rawd, 7/430; Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/197; and Ahkaam al-At’imah by al-Fawzaan).
And Allaah knows best.
http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...&QR=1919&dgn=4

Woodrow
06-18-2006, 02:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
ASS SALAAMU ALAYKUM AKHEE!!

do you have proof for that??..barakallahu feek!
Amirah, the Jewish dietary laws governing fish is they may not eat anything without visible scales and fins and it must swim. There is nothing about that, that would be haraam.

Reading the threads here you may notice that in regards to eating fish, any fish that meets the condition of being kosher would be halal. Just the opposite would be true tho. Some of what we would consider Halal, a Jew would not be permitted to eat.

lavikor201
06-18-2006, 02:55 PM
I still think you guys have it harder. I love tasting wine. :-( something I should try to stop.... lol.

Woodrow
06-18-2006, 03:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lavikor201
I still think you guys have it harder. I love tasting wine. :-( something I should try to stop.... lol.
Strangly enough when I reverted I thought that would be a difficult thing for me. I always used to enjoy wine with my supper. Yet, when I reverted I lost all taste for it. It has not been a hardship. I understand where you are coming from, it would appear to be a hardship upon a Muslim.

Interesting thing about Jews and Wine. I have never met a Jew who drank to excess. I could be wrong, but it seems that alcoholism is nearly unheard of among Jews.

Vishnu
06-18-2006, 03:04 PM
I love wine, I don't know how you can live without it. I guess I could never be a Muslim. I got to bars with my friends a lot. lol.

lavikor201
06-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Jews tend to not drink that much or over do it, because it can effect judgment which in the end could end up leading to you breaking a law.

seek.learn
06-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Jews tend to not drink that much or over do it, because it can effect judgment which in the end could end up leading to you breaking a law.
Salaam and Peace,

I must say thats really admirable will power!

Peace,
Wassalaam

Zohair
06-19-2006, 03:42 AM
I am glad alcohol is harm

Looking4Peace
06-19-2006, 03:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
salama

chk this out

Question :
Please forgive me for my ignorance in this matter. I am very interested in learning the ways of Islam. My question concerns dietary rulings. What types of fish and seafood are permissible?
Thank you for your help.
Answer :
Praise be to Allaah.

Among the blessings that Allaah has bestowed upon us is the fact that He has made our religion easy for us, and has not made it too difficult or unbearable. He has allowed us many things that were forbidden according to previously-revealed laws. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… Allaah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you…” [al-Baqarah 2:185].

Hence all kinds of food from the sea are permissible, whether they are plants or animals, alive or dead. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel…” [al-Maa’idah 5:96]. Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “ Sayduhu (lit. hunting, pursuit) refers to whatever is taken from it alive, and ta’aamuhu (lit. its food) means whatever is taken dead.”

There are a few things – certain types of water animals – which some scholars exclude from the permission outlined above. These are:
Crocodiles. The correct view is that eating these is not allowed, because they have fangs and live on land – even though they may spend a lot of time in the water – so precedence should be given to the reason for forbidding it (it is a land animal that has fangs).
Frogs. It is not permitted to eat them because the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade killing them, as is reported in the hadeeth of ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn ‘Uthmaan, who said that the Messenger of Allaah

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade the killing of frogs. (Narrated by Imaam Ahmad and Ibn Maajah; see also Saheeh al-Jaami, 6970). The rule is that everything which we are forbidden to kill, we are not allowed to eat; if we are allowed to eat it we are allowed to kill it.

Some scholars exclude sea snakes, but the correct view is that as they live nowhere except in the water, we are permitted to eat them, because of the general nature of the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves …” [al-Maa’idah 5:96].

Otters and turtles. The correct view is that to be on the safe side, it is permissible to eat them after slaughtering them properly, because they live both on land and in the sea. Here the rule is that in the case of animals that live both on land and in the sea, the rules concerning land animals should be given precedence, to be on the safe side, so they must be slaughtered properly, except for crabs which do not need to be slaughtered, even though they live both on land and in the sea, because they do not have blood.

Everything that can cause harm is forbidden as food, even if it comes from the sea, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allaah is Most Merciful to you.” [al-Nisa’ 4:29] and: “… and do not throw yourselves into destruction…” [al-Baqarah 2:195].
(See al-Mughni, 11/83; Haashiyah al-Rawd, 7/430; Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/197; and Ahkaam al-At’imah by al-Fawzaan).
And Allaah knows best.
http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...&QR=1919&dgn=4
thanks so much, i love people bringing proof instead of opinions telling me that half the fish i eat is not allowed when it is.

SirZubair
06-19-2006, 10:31 AM
Is it Harram for you all to eat fish? What are the laws on this.... I run a Cafe' so I am curious.
If i ever come to your cafe,..i want tuna...canned tuna...i dont like fresh fish...

Lamaggad
06-19-2006, 08:40 PM
actually we can eat what ever you can eat unless if your not allowd to eat fish :)

IbnAbdulHakim
06-19-2006, 08:51 PM
i heard we can eat any fish which has blood... and i also once heard we aint allowed to eat snails n stuff coz they aint got bones or somethin

^^ both of these are hearsay... can sum1 clarify inshaAllah..

Joe98
06-20-2006, 05:01 AM
To me, the question about fish at the top of this thread is already strange.

But for the thread to extend to 3 pages,.......:giggling:

While you are busy discussing fish, the Chinese are going to the moon and the Germans are finding ways to make business even more efficaint.:thumbs_up

Abdulwaheed
06-20-2006, 05:30 AM
i've never considered fish to be Haraam at all, nor have i been told anything about it.
I like fish tho

Woodrow
06-20-2006, 06:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
To me, the question about fish at the top of this thread is already strange.

But for the thread to extend to 3 pages,.......:giggling:

While you are busy discussing fish, the Chinese are going to the moon and the Germans are finding ways to make business even more efficaint.:thumbs_up
Wait until you get the 10 million dollar bill for the fish fry we are going to hold on Jupiter nest week. (See we are thinking of space exploration and business ventures)

syilla
06-20-2006, 07:11 AM
i love to eat cat-fish and eels ...is good for healing wound.

by the way what is shell fish?

Woodrow
06-20-2006, 07:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
i love to eat cat-fish and eels ...is good for healing wound.

by the way what is shell fish?
True Shell fish are those in shells like oysters, clams, Scallops, cockles, Mussels etc. Some people also include shrimp, lobsters and prawns as shell fish.

I'm still looking for written proof that shell fish, eels, catfish and sharks are Haram. Most of my information about halal and haraam foods comes from the people who live around me. Looks like I got to look further it seems the general consensus here is they are Halal.

lolwatever
06-20-2006, 07:30 AM
as much as i disliked joe's post in the saudi thread, i agree with his first 2 sentences.. as for his third, oh yeh? well who cares.

SirZubair
06-20-2006, 07:35 AM
Islams view on fish?

Eat.

lolwatever
06-20-2006, 07:47 AM
love the answer bro yeh hehe

the verse is simple too, 'everything in the ocean is halal for ya' (the gist, 4got the verse location)

innit this thread in wrong place btw, its under comp religion lol
salam

syilla
06-20-2006, 08:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
True Shell fish are those in shells like oysters, clams, Scallops, cockles, Mussels etc. Some people also include shrimp, lobsters and prawns as shell fish.

I'm still looking for written proof that shell fish, eels, catfish and sharks are Haram. Most of my information about halal and haraam foods comes from the people who live around me. Looks like I got to look further it seems the general consensus here is they are Halal.
ooo...then i eat them too... :sister:

but i only eat it occassionaly (i usually avoid them). I heard it is quite toxic. It can make detergent more concentrated (as u know...all the bathroom detergent will go down to the drain and to the river-and the shell fish will swallow the detergent too)

lolwatever
06-20-2006, 08:34 AM
but that's not to do with fish, it's to do with the environment they're in... like if you force eat cows to eat meat, then you get mad cow disease and human swho eat them go crazy

and if you chemicalise plants, they can start poisoning people too...

so yeh.. salam

syilla
06-20-2006, 08:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
but that's not to do with fish, it's to do with the environment they're in... like if you force eat cows to eat meat, then you get mad cow disease and human swho eat them go crazy

and if you chemicalise plants, they can start poisoning people too...

so yeh.. salam
i never know that mad cow disease happened because forcing cows to eat meat.

yeah i think the environment has everything to do with what we're eating now.

By the way, apologize for off topic (from fish to meat).

lolwatever
06-20-2006, 08:51 AM
yeh it was to do with scrap meat from what i know, meat is bad enough probably anyway...

anyways hehe i think this thread should be closed the answer about fish is pretty obvious.

unless people wanna tell me what's their favourite fishy.

salam

Daffodil
06-20-2006, 12:40 PM
All fish is nasty apart from fish fingers.

Muslim Knight
06-20-2006, 12:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
You've obviously never done snorkeling in your whole life. Fishes are cool. Apart from being cute, they're edible too! It is sometimes nice to see fish swimming in front of your face while being oblivious to the fact it might end up as your dinner.

Muhammad
06-20-2006, 01:39 PM

I think the other thread about this topic (mentioned earlier) is this one:

http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...lal-haram.html

Mawaddah
06-20-2006, 01:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
Sister you are soooooo missing out!! fish fingers are just about the most nastiest form of fish you can get!! lol.

I love fish.....but I'm allergic to shellfish :( it makes me breakout terribly and then I look like someone with a bad case of chicken pox *sigh*

Helena
06-20-2006, 01:45 PM
fish is halaal in islam...but certain things are haraam that are clearly stated in islam....

Muhammad
06-20-2006, 01:46 PM

Let's try to keep this on topic about Islam's view on fish please.

Skillganon
06-20-2006, 08:13 PM
In Bangaldesh we have a saying "Amra Maseh Bhateh Bangali"
Translation. "Fish and Rice make's us bangladeshi"

north_malaysian
06-21-2006, 05:50 AM
How about whale meat?
Halal

Malaikah
06-21-2006, 05:58 AM
News flash- im not a country, neither is anyone else here. :rollseyes We are individuals, and what makes you think we arent accomplishing things? Just becuase there is a thread on fish that reached 3 pages doesnt mean we spend 90% of hour life thinking about fish.

While you are busy making fun of others, individuals are busy making the world a better place for themselves and others.

syilla
06-21-2006, 06:03 AM
better discuss about the food you eat...rather than die because of the food you eat (so wealthy...that you tends to eat unnecessary food )

Joe98
06-21-2006, 06:27 AM
Aeroplane jelly does not go with cheese!

lolwatever
06-21-2006, 06:32 AM
and your point is?

Malaikah
06-21-2006, 07:40 AM
Aeroplane jelly does not go with cheese!
LOL! you know where my avatar is from! now thats funny.

on topic.. umm yeh sis syilla goos point mashaallah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.