/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Answering the Phone with ‘Salaam’

madeenahsh
06-18-2006, 06:37 AM
Answering the Phone with ‘Salaam’

Ash Shaykh Al ‘Allaamah ‘Abdul ‘Azeez ibn Baaz

Question: What is the ruling concerning extending the Salaam to a caller on the phone if you do not know whether the caller is a Muslim or not?

Answer: The ruling in this matter is the same ruling as that of extending the greeting; one should not initiate the ‘Salaam’ if he knows that the caller is a disbeliever. However, there is no harm in this if you do not know [if the caller is Muslim or not].

Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Maqalaat Mutanawi’ah: Vol.6: Ask the people of Knowledge

Translated by: Abu ‘Abdul Waahid, Nadir Ahmad.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pk_#2
06-18-2006, 09:04 AM

AsalamuAlaykum,

Jazakhala :)

Helpful post!

thahira
07-20-2006, 03:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by madeenahsh
Answering the Phone with ‘Salaam’

Ash Shaykh Al ‘Allaamah ‘Abdul ‘Azeez ibn Baaz

Question: What is the ruling concerning extending the Salaam to a caller on the phone if you do not know whether the caller is a Muslim or not?

Answer: The ruling in this matter is the same ruling as that of extending the greeting; one should not initiate the ‘Salaam’ if he knows that the caller is a disbeliever. However, there is no harm in this if you do not know [if the caller is Muslim or not].

Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Maqalaat Mutanawi’ah: Vol.6: Ask the people of Knowledge

Translated by: Abu ‘Abdul Waahid, Nadir Ahmad.
This is really a helpful posts about answering a phone call. From my own experience i usually answer the phone wtih salam irregardles who is the caller is. Initially it was difficult as some calls are made by non muslims as well. As we are more accustomed to hear the word HELLO more often in a phone conversation. But it is really nice to use the word Assallaamu Alaykum via the phone and the caller greeting you.

wassalam

MUNIRAH
07-20-2006, 03:41 AM
salaaam....

uhmm....honestly I don't answer the phone with salaam often.......sometimes yeah I do.....but not all the time.. I don't know guess I forget to.:heated: I will try inshaAllah.
by the way sis thankx 4 the post.:D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
lolwatever
07-20-2006, 03:57 AM
u gotta keep in mind he was answering it in a Muslim country saudi... most ppl are Muslim there.. i think its better to stick to 'Hello' and then say salam once the caller identifies themselves

Eddi
07-20-2006, 08:49 AM
:sl:
With phones that have screens showing the callers details now it has become easier to indentify the caller. So you can say Salam to start with if you know the caller is Muslim.

lolwatever
07-20-2006, 08:58 AM
oh yeh deffo, but there's alot of standard home phoens that dont have that... lol and probably some ppl that have those fones whre u hav to rotate that spindle to dial in a digit :p

thahira
07-20-2006, 04:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eddi
:sl:
With phones that have screens showing the callers details now it has become easier to indentify the caller. So you can say Salam to start with if you know the caller is Muslim.
Salam

I definetely agree as i stated earlier that I normally say Salam as I do have the ID to see who is the caller. :)

Wassalam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.