/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Veiled Muslim women banned from flight on Russian plane

sonz
06-18-2006, 06:59 AM
5 Russian Muslims, 3 veiled women, and two men flying from the Red Sea Resort of Sharm El Sheikh, returning home to Russia, were taken off the plane after the Captain of the IL-86 aircraft of Atlant-Soyuz Company claimed their appearance aroused his anxiety.

The Captain said he was alarmed by the fact that the women were wearing Hijab, Islamic headscarf, ASN News reported.

Atlant-Soyuz defended the pilot’s racist action as “absolutely justified”.

Although the IL-86 was checked with specially trained dogs, the Muslim passengers were held at the airport for further security check.

The five Muslims flew to Russia the next day, but the women were asked not to wear Hijab during the flight.

Angered by the incident, a spokeswoman for Muslim community in Russia attributed the racist attitude of the Captain to the widespread misconception about Muslims and Islam and stereotyping people who have religious appearance as evil makers, specially Muslim women wearing Hijab, and men having beards or with dark skin.

The spokeswoman stressed that Muslims know how to contain such situations and deal with them with understanding.

Around 20 million of Russia’s 147 million population are Muslims.

But the government had been repetitively criticised by rights groups for fueling anti-Muslim sentiment to boost its mission against separatists in Chechnya.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pk_#2
06-18-2006, 08:51 AM
Allah geee duno wah 2 say :( das sad wouldn't wana be in that position!!

SirZubair
06-18-2006, 09:53 AM
I wouldnt call the pilot 'racist',i would call him 'silly',..they can work out a better system,such as,..they can ask them to take off their veils and show their faces to a female attendent,once its been confirmed that they are women,and not fugitives on the run,..they can be hosted to their seats and be left in peace.

...If each and everyone of your lend me $20,000 dollars,..i will have ZUBAIR AIRLINES Up and Running in no-time,and i will make it easier for ya'll to travel... ;D

afriend2
06-18-2006, 10:29 AM
salaam,

subhanAllah! thats awful, the sisters had to take their hijaab off!

Allahumma aghfirlana, wa lil mu'miniia, wal-mu'minaati wa aslih-hum, wa salih dhati bayynihum, wa allif baina quluuubihim, waj'al fi quluuubi-him imaana wal hikmata' wa-nosurhum 'ala' 'aduw-wika wa 'aduwwihim!

Ameen Thumma Ameen!!
wassalam :peace:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
rubiesand
06-18-2006, 10:32 AM
""The five Muslims flew to Russia the next day, but the women were asked not to wear Hijab during the flight.""

Isn't it marvellous though, how they magically stopped being a security threat just by taking off their headscarves?? :rollseyes

Malaikah
06-18-2006, 10:43 AM
:sl:

^^ sis i know!!! exactly what i was thinking, man hijab material is just so dangerous isnt it!:rollseyes

KAding
06-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Its outragous. If they have been found not to carry anything dangerous, why would they not allowed to be on the plane?

format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
Angered by the incident, a spokeswoman for Muslim community in Russia attributed the racist attitude of the Captain to the widespread misconception about Muslims and Islam and stereotyping people who have religious appearance as evil makers, specially Muslim women wearing Hijab, and men having beards or with dark skin.
Well, maybe. I think it is more likely this anxiety is caused by Muslim women in full dress having blown up several Russian planes before! Maybe that is a more likely cause of this 'racist attitude', no?

afriend2
06-18-2006, 11:32 AM
salaam,

format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Its outragous. If they have been found not to carry anything dangerous, why would they not allowed to be on the plane?
i agree.

Well, maybe. I think it is more likely this anxiety is caused by Muslim women in full dress having blown up several Russian planes before! Maybe that is a more likely cause of this 'racist attitude', no?
just because the IRA did certain things, that wouldnt make me have stereotypical views on all irish people. the muslim sisters were found not to be carrying anything and even then they were told to remove their hijaabs. that totally goes agains their and our beliefs. it was an awful suggestion to be made.

lavikor201
06-18-2006, 01:05 PM
That is pretty bad. Russia has some explaining to do.

Woodrow
06-18-2006, 01:17 PM
One problem I have with this is the traditional dress of Russian Woman. How, many people are familiar with traditional Russian clothing styles? They are very similar to the hijab that Muslim woman wear. I doubt very much that a "white" Russian woman would have been required to remove her baboushka.

I can understand security, but this could have been handled in a more sensitive and compassionate manner. As was suggested by Bro. SirZubair a female attendant could have seen had them remove the Hijab in privacy and then they could have put it back on before being seen by men.

Muezzin
06-18-2006, 02:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
One problem I have with this is the traditional dress of Russian Woman. How, many people are familiar with traditional Russian clothing styles? They are very similar to the hijab that Muslim woman wear. I doubt very much that a "white" Russian woman would have been required to remove her baboushka.
Excellent point.

I hope this pilot is dealt with accordingly. Brother Zubair's suggestion is great too, since it's simple and, more importantly from the airline's perspective, it's cheap.

Pk_#2
06-18-2006, 03:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair

...If each and everyone of your lend me $20,000 dollars,..i will have ZUBAIR AIRLINES Up and Running in no-time,and i will make it easier for ya'll to travel... ;D
In ur dreams...tis cheaper not to travel...

Tasmiyah Airlines..is up and running anyways..

Nazia? whats the arabic mean man...

Peace

lavikor201
06-18-2006, 03:33 PM
...If each and everyone of your lend me $20,000 dollars,..i will have ZUBAIR AIRLINES Up and Running in no-time,and i will make it easier for ya'll to travel...
Where do I send the check? LOL...

Pk_#2
06-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Down my house..

:)

Going on holiday...hope i dont get told to take my hijaab off! ....Reckon i should go fully loaded?

nahh..

rubiesand
06-18-2006, 04:03 PM
^^ Yes sis, fully loaded with Patience! :happy:

Pk_#2
06-18-2006, 04:51 PM
Ahhh man.....no action in that :p

jokes! would never ever ever!!!!!!!!! do anything that mean....besides am too sensitive...yuckay blood....

Just make dua for all the Muslim women out there...in this terrible positions
:( :'(

Just makes you realise how much horrible people there are in this world!

afriend2
06-18-2006, 04:59 PM
salaam,

sis the du'a i posted just means....

" Oh Allah!!! forgive us, and the believing men and women, and remove their faults, and cause peace and love amongst their hearts. put into their hearts a firm faith. let them be victorious over Your enemies and theirs."

Pk_#2
06-18-2006, 05:01 PM
wow mashaAllah Ameen

jazakhala :) sis nazia!

AsalamuAlaykum!

muslima04
06-18-2006, 05:20 PM
subhanalah when did this happen?

searchingsoul
07-13-2006, 07:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding

Knowing this information I'd say that I have to support the pilot!

Sis786
07-13-2006, 08:01 AM
I wouldnt call the pilot 'racist',i would call him 'silly',..they can work out a better system,such as,..they can ask them to take off their veils and show their faces to a female attendent,
I was gonna say that, When we went on PIA a women attendent checked all the females! SURLEY that is better than this ...unless....the women in russia are scared that once then touch a part of the Hijab IT WILL BLOW UP AND BAM THEY WILL BE SPLATTED LIKE JAM!....

north_malaysian
07-13-2006, 08:42 AM
How about conservative Russian Orthodoxs or Jews who also wear veils - they're ban too?

SirZubair
07-13-2006, 09:23 AM
I wouldnt call the pilot 'racist',i would call him 'silly',..they can work out a better system,such as,..they can ask them to take off their veils and show their faces to a female attendent,once its been confirmed that they are women,and not fugitives on the run,..they can be hosted to their seats and be left in peace.

The offer still stands... :thankyou:

north_malaysian
07-13-2006, 09:29 AM
The offer still stands... :thankyou:
Would your stewardess wears hijab? :p

SirZubair
07-13-2006, 09:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Would your stewardess wears hijab? :p
Why ofcourse ! :) :) :p:p

Sis786
07-13-2006, 09:40 AM
Why ofcourse ! :) :) :p:p
I thought that Muslim women arent allowed to be Air Attendants the Saudi Airlines dont allow them

SirZubair
07-13-2006, 10:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sis786
I thought that Muslim women arent allowed to be Air Attendants the Saudi Airlines dont allow them
Who cares about Saudi Airlines,..Saudi means nothing to me :p we are talking about Zubair Airlines here :p

Daffodil
07-13-2006, 12:44 PM
yea because the women shudnt be traveling that distance without a mehram any way so ur gonna have to get male flight attendants zubair.

SirZubair
07-16-2006, 06:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
yea because the women shudnt be traveling that distance without a mehram any way so ur gonna have to get male flight attendants zubair.
Alrite,..Women for the "Ladies Section"

Men for the "Macho men section"

So,..people,hurry up,the offer isn't going to be around forever..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.