/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Time wasting

Joe98
06-18-2006, 10:56 PM
I have always been interested in history.

The background as to why such and such happend. How they achieve it with the technical knowledge they had at that time. Always fascinating!

Religion frequently playes a big part. And therefore I treat the study of religion as an offshoot of history.

However my priority is my family, my friends and my community. And therefore the study of the present and the future is more important than the past. We will live in the future, not the past. We can learn from the past but we cannot live there.

I am always forward looking.

Some on this forum mention that they have studied religion. I mean, spent a lot of time studying it.

How can spend a lot of time studying it, when time spent finding a cure for cancer would be much more productive.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
umm_amina04
06-19-2006, 05:37 AM
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh? First and formost brother, aquiring the interest in learning about history is all well and good but you also need to bear in mind that learning about Islam our deen as muslims is better because our beloved prophet muhammad (pbuh) encouraged his ummah to seek knowledge, and on the day of Judgment when you are asked how you spent your time in the dunya by your lord ALLAH what will you say? Everything on the day of Judgement will speak including every part of your body, Allah will ask how did you treat your body in the dunya? Are you going to stand up and say I fed my body alcohol and drugs? Or will you be fearful of Allah the one true god who gave you life? Seek knowledge for the sake of Allah in the dunya and insha-allah we smell the scents of Jannah, but if you think that searching for a cure for diseases in the dunya is better than the reward of the akhirah then I say to you ITAQILAH ( FEAR ALLAH SWT) for Allah is one who is merciful and the Judge and ruler of the dunya and akhirah.
Wa alaikum assalam

Woodrow
06-19-2006, 06:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98

The background as to why such and such happend. How they achieve it with the technical knowledge they had at that time. Always fascinating!

Religion frequently playes a big part. And therefore I treat the study of religion as an offshoot of history.

However my priority is my family, my friends and my community. And therefore the study of the present and the future is more important than the past. We will live in the future, not the past. We can learn from the past but we cannot live there.

Some on this forum mention that they have studied religion. I mean, spent a lot of time studying it.

How can spend a lot of time studying it, when time spent finding a cure for cancer would be much more productive.
Except for one little factor, I would agree with your post 100%. That factor being we all have different skills and gifts. We can only do our best in the areas we have talent to produce in. Off hand it would seem knowledge and skills can be applied universaly to any discipline. Now, some factors may be applicable to other disciplines, but no one person is capable of all things. The world needs:
Carpenters
Mechanics
Doctors
Philosopners
Artisians
Religious Leaders
Pious People
Humanitarians
and so on.

The one that can succeed in an area is the one with the knowledge and the backing to follow his deen. A religious leader who appears to have great knowledge and skills is not wasting his time studying religion. It is the area he has ability in. The crime would be if he attempted to use his talent in an area he has no expertise.

A religious scholar might have great research ability in historical religious documentation, but most likely he would be a total failure in a field such as medical research. No matter how hard he tries or how much time he spends attempting to find a cure for cancer, it would be wasted effort.

From what I see in your posts you have a very analtical and scientific approach to life. Now that is a great talent. It would be a waste of your time and talents to utilise those skills in an analytical research of religion as you seem to be more adept at developing your talents for the betterment of the physical, present world. Your, talents can not be understated and considered to be of no importance. So, it is with the Religious scholars, it would be a waste of talent if they tried to use their expertise in an area they have no expertise.

umm_amina04
06-19-2006, 06:12 AM
OBEDIENCE TO THE COMMAND OF ALLAH (SWT) IS AN OBLIGATORY DUTY:

Allah the exalted says:
"But no, by your Rubb, they can have no faith, until they make you (O Muhammad (pbuh) judge in all diputes between them, and find in themselves no resistance against your decisionsand accept (them) with full submissions." (4:65)

"The only saying of the faithful believers, when they are called to Allah (his words,the Qur'an) and his messenger (pbuh), to judge between them, is that they say :"We hear and we obey."And such are the successful (who will forever in Jannah)." (24:51)

Abu Hurairah (radiallahu anhu) reported: When it was revealed to the messenger of Allah (pbuh):" To Allah belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is on the earth, and whether you disclose what is in your own selves or conceal it, Allah will call you to account for it," the companions of Messenger of Allah (pbuh) felt it hard and severe and they came to Messenger of Allah (pbuh) and sat down on their knees and said: "Oh Messenger of Allah (pbuh), we were assigned some duties which were within our power to perform, such as Salat (prayer), Saum (fasting), Jihad (striving for the cause of Allah), Sadaqa (charity). Then this (the above mention) verse was revealed to you and it is beyond our power to live up to it." Messenger of Allah (pbuh) said, "do you want to say what the people of the two books (Jews and Christians) said before you: 'We hear and disobey?' You should rather say: 'We hear and we obey, we seek forgiveness, our rubb and unto you is the return.''' And they said: "We hear and and we obey, we seek your forgiveness, our rubb! and unto you is the return." When the people recited it and it smoothly flowed on their tongues, then Allah revealed immediately afterwards: "The messenger (Muhammad pbuh) believes in what has been sent down to him from his rubb, and (so do ) the beleivers. Each one believes in Allah, his Angels, His books, and his messengers. (They say), 'We make no distinction between one another of his Messengers'-and they say, 'We hear, and we obey. (We seek) your forgiveness, our rubb, and to you is the return of (all).''' When they did that, Allah abrogated this Ayah and Allah the great revealed: " Allah burdens not a person beyon his scope. He gets reward for that (good) which he has earned, and he is punished for that (evil) which he has earned.''. (The prophet pbuh said) "Yes, Our rubb ! Lay not on us a burden like that which you did lay those before us (Jew and Christians).''' (The prophet pbuh said): "Yes. Our rubb!Put not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear,''' (The prophet pbuh said:) "Yes. Pardon s and grant us forgiveness . Have mercy on us. You are our Maula (Patron, Supporter and Protector) and give us victory over the disbeleiving people.''' He (the prophet pbuh) said: "Yes."
[Muslim]

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tilmeez
06-19-2006, 06:18 AM
Not offending:
When you have decided something right or wrong then why you keep asking for right or wrong?
Religion has every logical and scientific reason for its existance and supremacy. All it needs is an open Heart! Most of the things that you can't see but it does not mean that they don't exist!! Does it??
I can bet if you follow the religion you won't have cancer!!

umm_amina04
06-19-2006, 06:20 AM
Yes, the world does need peole that have expertise in a variety of occupations but that does not mean that becuase we live in a western civilizaition controlled by modernism does not give muslim especially the ideas of neglecting your deen and not seeking knowlege. So seeking knowlege for your deen to build your iman is just as important s going to work in order for you to support you family by putting food on the table. Br Woodrow, Our souls need for just as our body needs sustenance to keep the body mobile. We need to feed our soul by seeking knowledge.

umm_amina04
06-19-2006, 06:22 AM
Jazaka-allah to br tilmeeze that put posted his thoughts from a different perspective..........

Woodrow
06-19-2006, 06:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by umm_amina04
Yes, the world does need peole that have expertise in a variety of occupations but that does not mean that becuase we live in a western civilizaition controlled by modernism does not give muslim especially the ideas of neglecting your deen and not seeking knowlege. So seeking knowlege for your deen to build your iman is just as important s going to work in order for you to support you family by putting food on the table. Br Woodrow, Our souls need for just as our body needs sustenance to keep the body mobile. We need to feed our soul by seeking knowledge.
Sister, I have no disagreement with that. Each of us does have a need to feed our spiritual being as much as our physical body. My reply was in reference as to why religious studies are not a waste of time. Not a justification to neglect religious study.

Ansar Al-'Adl
06-19-2006, 04:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
But you only hold this view because you do not believe in God!
Exactly. Joe98 has committed the logical fallacy we call petitio principii - he concludes that religious studies and religious endeavours are futile upon the basis of the unwarranted assumption that religion is not true. He has assumed what he has yet to prove. Because if the religion is true then it is automatically the most important thing - religion determines one's eternal fate in the next life, cancer is but a disease of this temporal life.

Zohair
06-19-2006, 04:36 PM
you want to talk about wasting?

try looking at how much billions of dollars of money we waste for space exploration and observation, THAT money can go to finding cures for horrible diseases, they spend like 50 billion dollars in astronomy per year!

who cares about space! save the people on earth before you want to see the universe!

Abdul Fattah
06-19-2006, 05:17 PM

It's funny how we use the words forewards and backwards when talking about time. Somehow we picture the pas behind our back and the future in front of us. And from that point of vieuw, I understand your question. Why look behind our backs? we should look for the obstacles in front of us.

But that is a very biased p.o.v.The ancient Greeks for one, didn't picture past as behind them and future as in front. They visualised mankind facing the past and having it's back pointed toward the future. Because afterall, we can see teh past, but we canot see the future. So from teh ancient Greek point of view, looking behind ones back (into the future) would be very helpfull. But the only way to do that. Is to assuem the future will eb the same as the past. We can assume that tomorowmorning teh sun will rise. Why? Because it has risen today and yesterday and every day before that. So all logic tells us there's no reason to assume it won't rise tomorrow to. So you see looking at the past, is a method to predict the future. Human history is interested becuase it tells us a lot about human psychology as well as the field of sociology. Yes looking for a cure for cancer is helpfull, but you can't have 10 billion peopel doing teh same job. There's difrent things that are also helpfull, and history is one of them.

umm_amina04
07-16-2006, 02:55 PM
I do not beleive tha religious studies are a waste of time at all as br woodrow has stated. We should all make the effort to seek knowledge for ourselves especially. Also some might consider Islamic knowledge as a waste of time if they are not affiliated with the correct knowledge about Islam. These days the media is controlling the final decision that society makes, by using fabricated information. So it's up to the muslims to give dawa and to spread the true words of Islam according to the Qur'an and sunnah. Knowledge is not a waste of time if you sincerely consider the rewards of the akhirah. Insha-allah ta'ala all the muslims go to the highest stage in Jannah AMEEN.\

Trumble
07-16-2006, 03:09 PM

I think the simple answer to that is not everybody can be a medical researcher! There are also only so many avenues of research that are available for pursuit You need to be a straight A student with a post-graduate degree for start, whereas anyone can study religion (or history) - at varying levels, obviously. We all have our own talents and our own aspirations. Quite apart from which, many who study religion believe its about the most important thing you can do. You may not agree, and I'm not sure I do, but its a point of view that should be respected.

If you take your argument to an extreme, its not just religion that wouldn't be worth studying and practicing, but all the humanities. No art. No literature. No music. There is plenty of room for improving the quality of our lives, and not just extending them. Why would anybody want to live longer in a world devoid of the things that make it worthwhile?

umm_amina04
07-19-2006, 01:21 PM
:sl: Yes. that's true that not everybody can have high-paid employment and therefore live as middle-classed citizens, it doesn't matter what your status is regarding religos beliefs or what employment you are in, I beleive that each person has their own mind to seek knowledge for themselves, and to be affiliated with the different beliefs in which they have no knowledge of to make a indefinate comment.
:w:

Umar001
07-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Hi,

format_quote Originally Posted by Zohair
you want to talk about wasting?

try looking at how much billions of dollars of money we waste for space exploration and observation, THAT money can go to finding cures for horrible diseases, they spend like 50 billion dollars in astronomy per year!

who cares about space! save the people on earth before you want to see the universe!
This in some cases can be seen as beneficial, money wasted is the Billions spent on cosmetics and so forth. That is the true money wasted, or the investments in food that is left on shelfs at supermarkets.

Zulkiflim
07-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Salaam,,

So what he is essentially saying is that just live your life the way you want it..

No worries..

In the end we all retrun to Allah and on that judgeement day,the reckoning stands.
Inshallah

As Allah says,HIS MERCY SHALL OVERCOME HIS WRATH..

Joe98
07-19-2006, 11:39 PM
We need to feed our soul by.......

This is ultimately the problem.

Some say music is food for the soul. I have no interest in music. I do not own any music CDs. Music is boring and wasteful.

My soul does not need feeding and therefore I don't need religion either. Other people do.

There is a poster here callng herself "searchingsoul" for good reason. If you did as I have done your search would end.

And together we could find a cure for cancer - or build a better mousetrap as our Texas friend pointed out.

-

Joe98
07-19-2006, 11:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
....what can be more productive .....than to get a more closer relationship with God?

How about getting food and shelter? Without that you die!

syilla
07-20-2006, 01:59 AM
well...if it wasting time. i'm sure it is wasting time to be in this forum.

Joe98
07-20-2006, 02:48 AM
Not at all! I am learning what Muslims believe. I don't believe a word of it myself but now I know what you believe.

And I can use it in a discussion :giggling:

j4763
07-20-2006, 04:32 PM
If one was stranded on an island what would you do first? Spend ones time praying or searching for food/water/shelter?

I know which one I’d do first to keep me going, cos the other one is going to be wasting valuable time and of no help to me.

Zulkiflim
07-20-2006, 05:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by j4763
If one was stranded on an island what would you do first? Spend ones time praying or searching for food/water/shelter?

I know which one I’d do first to keep me going, cos the other one is going to be wasting valuable time and of no help to me.
Salaam,

In Islam when the time comes to pray we pray.
I is the five pillars of Islam.
In prayer we gain the pece to think better and act better.
thus our search may inshallah be more fruitful as compared to one whom always thinks about death and hunger and pain ..thus when he searches he will not find for it is inhaste.

It is one of the beauties of prayer,it centers the soul,alhamdullilah..

Inshallah,but whatever we do we do it iman....with faith.

Alive or dead,,,we will do it as muslims.

All the more when you are stranded in a deserted Islam,all the more you need solace and aid from the ALMIGHTY,Allah.

syilla
07-21-2006, 01:37 AM
If you think finding cure of cancer is much important...

we think prevention is much important... not just cancer.
Of course sometimes things does happen...even you tried hard to prevent it. That's why we believe in faith.

In Islam...every thing is about prevention...and everything is about...natural law.

nennar
07-21-2006, 10:39 AM
salaam alaikum!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh? First and formost brother, aquiring the interest in learning about history is all well and good but you also need to bear in mind that learning about Islam our deen as muslims is better because our beloved prophet muhammad (pbuh) encouraged his ummah to seek knowledge, and on the day of Judgment when you are asked how you spent your time in the dunya by your lord ALLAH what will you say? Everything on the day of Judgement will speak including every part of your body, Allah will ask how did you treat your body in the dunya? Are you going to stand up and say I fed my body alcohol and drugs? Or will you be fearful of Allah the one true god who gave you life? Seek knowledge for the sake of Allah in the dunya and insha-allah we smell the scents of Jannah, but if you think that searching for a cure for diseases in the dunya is better than the reward of the akhirah then I say to you ITAQILAH ( FEAR ALLAH SWT) for Allah is one who is merciful and the Judge and ruler of the dunya and akhirah.
Wa alaikum assalam

i think what you said umm aminah! was so right! ...

but i need to ask you! what dose akhirah mean??? i am still newborn in islam

salaam nennar

umm_amina04
07-25-2006, 05:00 PM
:sl: You can say what you will in this life but, what you believe that is against what god has intended then nothing will save you on the day of Judgement.
This is ultimately the problem.

Some say music is food for the soul. I have no interest in music. I do not own any music CDs. Music is boring and wasteful.

My soul does not need feeding and therefore I don't need religion either. Other people do.

There is a poster here callng herself "searchingsoul" for good reason. If you did as I have done your search would end.

And together we could find a cure for cancer - or build a better mousetrap as our Texas friend pointed out.

-

nennar
07-25-2006, 09:19 PM
:sl: You can say what you will in this life but, what you believe that is against what god has intended then nothing will save you on the day of Judgement.
+o( +o( +o( +o(

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.