/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The religion of the parents of the prophet (pbuh) ?

Joe98
06-19-2006, 01:13 AM
People believe there have been a few prophets through the centuries.

Muslims believe that the prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is the latest prophet.

At the time of the birth of the prophet, Jesus was the latest prophet.

What religion was the parents of the prophet (pbuh) at the time of the prophet’s (pbuh) birth? Jesus had been the latest prophet, so, is it possible they were Christains???

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Link
06-19-2006, 06:16 PM
I just know the parents of the Prophet (pbuh) were monothiest.

peace

Zohair
06-19-2006, 06:19 PM
the religion of the Prophet Muhammad's Parents was not christianity.

I am not sure if they were pagans though. I know some of the prophet Muhammad's relatives were pagans, i.e his uncle abu talib.

you see the thing is, Muhammad SAW's parents died when he was very young.

Woodrow
06-19-2006, 06:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
People believe there have been a few prophets through the centuries.

Muslims believe that the prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is the latest prophet.

At the time of the birth of the prophet, Jesus was the latest prophet.

What religion was the parents of the prophet (pbuh) at the time of the prophet’s (pbuh) birth? Jesus had been the latest prophet, so, is it possible they were Christains???
Interesting question. I do not know enough to rule out that possibility. However, we do know that the parents were monotheistic and that the Christians in Saudi were mostly considered polythistic at that time.

However what I know of Christian history, at the time of the Prophet's (saw) birth, Christianity was not very well established in Saudi Arabia. True there were some Christian Churches and a few Christian sects (Marconian and Maryist primarily if memory serves me right along with a few Roman Catholic Monestaries and some Sabians) However Christianity was not very widespread throughout the country.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
snakelegs
06-20-2006, 01:55 AM
i don't know the answer to your question, but i can't resist this.
several years ago in pakistan, a teacher told his class that mohammad's parents were not muslims and he was charged with blasphemy.
go figger.

Salah ad-din
06-20-2006, 04:04 AM
The parents of the prophet practiced Hanif. As so did the Prophet (saw) before his Prophethood. Hanif is simply LA ILAHA ILLALAH. It's a way of life that simply believed in God and only worshipped God.

Joe98
06-20-2006, 04:38 AM
My point of asking the question is that some of you have said that Adam was the first Muslim, that Moses was a Muslim and that Jesus Christ was a Muslim.

Looking4Peace
06-20-2006, 04:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salah ad-din
The parents of the prophet practiced Hanif. As so did the Prophet (saw) before his Prophethood. Hanif is simply LA ILAHA ILLALAH. It's a way of life that simply believed in God and only worshipped God.
Interesting, but never heard of this

Woodrow
06-20-2006, 05:11 AM
My point of asking the question is that some of you have said that Adam was the first Muslim, that Moses was a Muslim and that Jesus Christ was a Muslim.
Joe, I think possibly you may have Islam confused with the way other religions are established.

Islam is a verb and it means "to submit to God"

A Muslim is a person who Practices Islam, in other words a person who submits to God.

Adam submitted to God, therefore Adam was a Muslim. Islam was not dependent on Mohammad(saw). The first Muslims was Adam, Then when the Truth was lost and regained the Jews restored Islam and were Muslims then when that truth was lost Christianity restored Islam and the Christians were Muslims, we do believe Jesus and his Disciples were Muslim as they Submitted to God. When that truth was again lost Islam was restored through the Qur'an. So now those who submit to God as restored through the Qur'an are Muslims.

virago
06-20-2006, 05:25 AM
Isn't there a hadith about the Prophet (Saws) passing by his mother's grave and crying because he was not allowed to pray to Allah (swt) to forgve her?

Looking4Peace
06-20-2006, 05:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by virago
Isn't there a hadith about the Prophet (Saws) passing by his mother's grave and crying because he was not allowed to pray to Allah (swt) to forgve her?
that wouldnt make sense:rollseyes +o(

Joe98
06-20-2006, 05:42 AM
Woodrow,

Thanks you for the explanation.

But it would be better if a third word were invented. It is offensive to refer to Jesus or Moses as Muslims because the modern meaning of the word implies they follow the teachings of the Koran.

Woodrow
06-20-2006, 06:25 AM
Woodrow,

But it would be better if a third word were invented. It is offensive to refer to Jesus or Moses as Muslims because the modern meaning of the word implies they follow the teachings of the Koran.
Perhaps it would be better to say that is the concept of a non-Arabic speaking Person, rather then a modern meaning. Muslim still means a person who submits to God in Arabic. Perhaps it is time that there was an English word for Muslim? although I can not see a translation having the full meaning as it is seen by an Arabic speaker.

I will agree that Non-Muslims might have difficulty understanding it. Yet, we who are Muslim believe, that the Qur'an was the origianal message and it was never changed. Several times the message was lost but Allah (swt) restored it through the Prophets(Peace be Upon Them) The last and final time was through Mohammad(saw) as the final prophet.

We view the Qur'an as being sort of a compiled version of all the truths that were previously revealed. All brought together in one source.

virago
06-21-2006, 02:49 PM
I found the hadith.

Book 004, Number 2129:
Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger, (may peace be upon him) as saying: I sought permission to beg forgiveness for my mother, but He did not grant it to me. I sought permission from Him to visit her grave, and He granted it (permission) to me.
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamen....html#004.2129

Joe98
06-21-2006, 11:05 PM
Forgive his mother for what?

Zohair
06-22-2006, 12:29 AM
Forgive his mother for what?
I guess that is proof that his mother was a pagan. because it is clear in islam that you are not allowed to ask for forgiveness of an idolator. but you can ask forgiveness for people who are muslim.

If his mother was a muslim, allah would allow him to forgive her mother.

but I don't know...maybe someone can bring in an authentic hadith about the issue of the religion of the Prophet's SAW parents. I don't have too much knowledge of islam, that is just my interpretation of the hadith given...its in no way nessecarily correct.

KAding
06-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Woodrow,

I agree. And they should also stop using the word 'revert' ;). It all completely confuses the discussion by giving multiple meanings to one word!

SirZubair
06-22-2006, 10:16 AM
Click Here

*LJ*
06-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Woodrow,

Peace,

I can see where your coming from but I don't think it is offensive that we call them Muslims as we believe that Jesus and Moses and all the other prophets (peace be upon them) were guided by Allah(swt) and were on the straight path. We believe they were pleasing Allah(swt) and did not associate partners with Allah(swt).

I think also that Christians at the time weren't like Christians of today, and they didn't believe that Jesus was the son of God back then, that was something to do with St. Paul I think, so maybe we could almost call them Muslim too. Just because we are saying they are Muslim it doesn't mean that they weren't following what Jesus taught.

It doesn't really mean Muslim in the sense that they were following the Quran as it had not been revealed but they were submitting to Allah(swt) by following the guidance that they received from Him (swt) through the prophets (peace be upon them) and books like the Torah and the Gospel (Muslims believe Allah(swt) sent down these books but they have since been tampered with so do not convey their original message).

May Allah(swt) forgive me if I have said anything wrong or untrue.

Hope that helps,
(anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in what I've said)

LJ

Umar001
06-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Hmmm

Pious Children can pray for their parents if they are Muslim so that is pretty interesting.

I also read of a hadeeth which was false that the Prophet peace be upon him went to see his mom and was raised alive and then become muslim, BUT THIS WAS FALSE, so I guess she prolly wasnt.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.