/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Israeli colonel jailed for spying for Hezbollah

sonz
06-20-2006, 05:29 AM
An Israeli court sentenced a colonel to 15 years in prison for spying for the Lebanese resistance group Hezbollah, BBC reported.

Prosecutors said Col Omar el-Heib provided a Hezbollah agent in 2002 with sensitive details on military deployments along Israel’s border with Lebanon, as well as information about the whereabouts of top Israeli commanders.

They said he passed on the information in exchange for money and drugs.

The court in Tel Aviv found that Heib, a member of Israel’s Bedouin minority, guilty of charges of aggravated espionage and contact with an enemy agent.

However, he was acquitted of charges of high treason.

Following his sentence, Heib accused the court of racism and said he would appeal the verdict.

"I didn't confess, I won't confess," he told reporters.

"I didn't do anything. The only reason they are coming after me is because I am an Arab."

Heib, who had been a commander in an elite scouting unit before being seriously wounded in clashes with Hezbollah along the border, went on to recruit Bedouin youths who can volunteer to serve in the military.

Hezbollah is a powerful political and military group that was formed in 1982 by a group of Muslim clerics after the Israeli invasion of Lebanon.

The resistance group has carried out several attacks against Israeli occupation forces along Lebanon’s southern border, forcing the Israelis to withdraw from the region in 2000.

The area has witnessed sporadic outbreaks of violence between Israeli forces and Hezbollah fighters since then.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.