/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 'A Jew and a Muslim douse Dutch fires'

rubiesand
06-20-2006, 09:53 AM
Amsterdam mayor, councillor defuse anti-Islam hysteria, says Haroon Siddiqui

AMSTERDAM—If Christians are lobbing rhetorical bombs at Muslims, who better to tamp down tensions than a soft-spoken Jewish intellectual? Job Cohen has done so as mayor of this city of 800,000, 1 in 8 of whom is a Muslim.

No sooner had the long-time Labour politician and former deputy minister of justice settled into the job in 2001 — the mayor is appointed by the federal cabinet while the council is elected — than he found himself dealing with the fallout of 9/11.

Anti-Muslim anger was fanned to dangerous levels by gay politician Pim Fortuyn (murdered in 2002 by an animal rights activist), filmmaker Theo van Gogh (murdered in 2004 by a Muslim), and Ayaan Hirsi Ali, the "ex-Muslim" poster girl of Islamophobes (forced to resign recently as an MP for having lied on her citizenship application).

Amid all the hysteria, Cohen kept his cool.

First, he led street protests to condemn the Van Gogh murder. He then made a point of publicly meeting Muslims, especially clerics, considering them the key to influencing Muslims.

He told the Muslims: "You are much needed in this country. You are the hope of this country." He told everyone else: "Islam is here to stay. We have to get along with each other."

Cohen cracked down on petty crime, especially among young Dutch-Moroccans. But he also went after the disco owners discriminating against them.

His partner in peace has been a Muslim councillor.

Moroccan-born Ahmed Aboutaleb warned the Dutch against the debilitating effects of discriminatory immigration policies. He told the Muslims who were bemoaning the decadence of the Dutch that they were free to take a flight to Casablanca.

I talked to both Cohen and Aboutaleb here at city hall, overlooking the Amstel River.........

.......link (Toronto Star)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
06-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Good man. This is the kind of thing that needs to be done. It promotes understanding, and condemns violence. Excellent.

KAding
06-20-2006, 09:42 PM
I agree. He is a great mayor :). I wouldn't vote for him, he is from the wrong party. I don't always agree with his analysis either, intellectually that is, but as a politician he does what he is supposed to to: build bridges and work towards social peace.

snakelegs
06-21-2006, 12:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by rubiesand
Amsterdam mayor, councillor defuse anti-Islam hysteria, says Haroon Siddiqui
good post. some cheerful news for a change.
we need more people like this guy.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
lavikor201
06-21-2006, 09:14 PM
Good story.

cihad
06-22-2006, 04:28 PM
"makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside"-quote from my teacher

rubiesand
06-22-2006, 05:05 PM
^ Did your teacher read it?

cihad
06-22-2006, 06:05 PM
no he just always says that and i decided to adopt it

Vishnu
06-22-2006, 06:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cihad
no he just always says that and i decided to adopt it
lol... its a nice saying i guess. ;D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.