/* */

PDA

View Full Version : bengali tradition, giving salaam by touching his/her feets...

Helena
06-20-2006, 11:47 AM
:sl:

well i have a question thats needs answering inshalah.....with evidence from the quran/hadith/ islamic sources....

well have seen in bengali tradtions....younger people tend to greet their elders by giving salaam by touching their feets....

is dat allowed in islam? unappropriate behaviour in islam derived from indian culture that is part of bengali life....

if arguements starts regarding this situation against the elders......total disagreemnet ....as its been past generations to generations...that needs to be followed...

a way of giving salam is saying peace be upon you.....buts wots wid touching their feets? is it islamic?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
06-20-2006, 11:52 AM

im sry but right now all i can offer is somethin which i hav heard and seen proof of but i cant offer the proof right now.
Well accordin to the fiqh of imam abu hanifa RH you are allowed to perform "khodhon gusi" (touching of feet) of ur close relatives (father/1st uncle/auntie/mother). Btw i dont do this.... JUST incase lol

Helena
06-20-2006, 11:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid

im sry but right now all i can offer is somethin which i hav heard and seen proof of but i cant offer the proof right now.
Well accordin to the fiqh of imam abu hanifa RH you are allowed to perform "khodhon gusi" (touching of feet) of ur close relatives (father/1st uncle/auntie/mother). Btw i dont do this.... JUST incase lol

shukran for that...yeah i know its khodun gusi.....me and my mum were discussing it yesterday....u can touch ur mother/father feet or husbands feet i think...but not sure about aunt/auntie....

i made a mistake on me title......didnt write touching......need to ask the mods...

$i$ter
06-20-2006, 12:08 PM
salaam...

sory i dont have any quotes or neting ....bt i have been told that touching the feet is a cultural action, & the reason why most Bengali ethnic originated ppl do it because it came from the indian culture & oviously cz at 1 point bangladesh ws part of india some bengalis have carried it on! ...does that make sense?

i also belive the reason why you shouldnt touch the feet is because Muslims should not bow down to ne1 & we should not copy the kufar.

we used to salaam & touch the feet on Eid days n things wen i was litle bt 1ns i realised that its not in the teaching of our Messenger (saws) i explained to my parents & my Uncle backed me up & we've stopped doin it!

Alllah Knows Best!....x

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
06-20-2006, 12:11 PM

^ ye i stopped doin it coz it jus felt... wel... i dunno, i had a doubt in ma heart! that was enuff!

Helena
06-20-2006, 12:12 PM
yeap...agree wid u sis...

we've stopped to...wen it comes to explaning to others...its not actions of our prophet(saw)....ppl get heated up...proper....

$i$ter
06-20-2006, 12:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by helena
yeap...agree wid u sis...

we've stopped to...wen it comes to explaning to others...its not actions of our prophet(saw)....ppl get heated up...proper....

know what you mean! ...at 1st my Dad was like 'how dare you?!!' ...& i carried on becz i knew my intesions were clear i didnt wana cors anger towards my parents (its not like hes telling me to stop practising Islam) ...then my Practising Uncle came along & then Dad understood!

luv & Du'as!...x

imranp
06-20-2006, 12:29 PM
If your not sure then ask a Scholar as it MIGHT be a hindu tradition as they do it alot

Mawaddah
06-20-2006, 01:22 PM

Actually this is practised in Arab countries such as Yemen also, I was surprised myself when I saw my friend in Yemen bowing down and touching her elders feet, but it's haram because:

First of all, even though this is 'tradition' and in Islam it is allowed to follow our tradition as long as it doesn't go against Islam, We know that this is a known Hindu tradition which goes clearly against Islam....and we as Muslims were commanded not to follow the disbeleivers.

Secondly, this goes against the rulings of Islam where we are NOT to bow ourselves towards anyone else besides Allah Subhanah. Rasululllah peace be upon him said " If I was to order anyone to bow towards anyone else, I would have ordered the woman to bow towards her husband"

There is a story about a Sahabi ( or Taabi'ee I can't recall) who went to see a King.The King knew of the Islamic prohibition of bowing towards others, so he constructed a low door and placed his throne in front of it, so that when the Sahaabi entered the door he would have to bend his body. When the Sahaabi saw this, he turned around and entered back first so as not to go against Rasulullahs teachings.

I would suggest you inform your family about this in the most nice and polite manner Insha'allah and make clear to them that Islam comes before tradition no matter what. And remind them also of the hadeeth "There is to be no Obedience towards mankind, if it is in Disobedience towards the Creator"

MusLiM 4 LiFe
09-11-2006, 05:40 PM
ma imam sed aslong as ur head isnt facing the ground den its aite.. but its best 2 ignore it.. if i try 2 explain 2ma amma n abba dey get vexd LOL

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.