/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Swimming

Mawaddah
06-20-2006, 03:21 PM
:sl:
Brothers and Sisters, you see, what with it being summer time now and everything (dead hot) I was planning on doing some swimming with my friends. But now a sister told me that she heard from someone that it is not allowed for women to swim together? :rollseyes I was surprised as I had never heard anything of this sort before. Can someone please clarify me on this matter and bring daleel as to is it allowed or not?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MinAhlilHadeeth
06-20-2006, 03:55 PM
I once heard that you're not supposed to look at a woman wearing very revealing clothes? Er... i dunno.

strider
06-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Assalamu alaikum

Question: Dear scholar, As-Salamu `alaykum. Is it permissible to swim with both Muslim ladies as well as non-Muslim ladies?

Answer : Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

If it is all females you are swimming with you are allowed to do that as long as they are not practicing nudity. It does not matter whether they are Muslims or non-Muslims provided they are no members of the opposite sex present.

Allah Almighty knows best.

Source

Ma'assalama

Daffodil
06-20-2006, 05:21 PM
The awrah of the women wud need to be covered, so long as they cover from their bosom to their knees its all gud.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mawaddah
06-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Jazakallah Khair for everyones replies :) this is what I thought also. However this sister claimed that this is the opinion of Sheikh Ubaid al-Jaabiree so that's why I sought confirmation.

Heres a fatwa I found also :

Question :

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullah
Are Women allowed to swim in a secluded place together?
If yes. How are they supposed to dress as any dress will stick to the body when wet. Please explain in detail
Wassalaam

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Anything that could be a source of temptation among women must be prevented. So their swimming in clothes that do not cover their ‘awrah (parts of the body which must be covered) properly because they stick to the body is something that is not allowed. If they swim in clothes that cover them, in a place far from the gaze of men, and cover themselves as soon as they come out of the water so that others will not see them in clothes that show the shape or colour of their ‘awrah, then there is nothing wrong with this so long as they adhere to the shar’i conditions. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)

Kittygyal
06-20-2006, 07:29 PM
salamalykum warahmutallah.
well basically you must wear loose fitting clothes, well you can swim with girls but not boys you must also have shame in you and have the intention why are you going in the pool, foor looking at each other?? or just fun??? Ya Allah we must have shame i must say it also depends on where you pool is, if it's in your garden where no one can see then InshAllah that will be fine, but bare in mind Allah subhanwatallah will be watching at all times .
walaykumasalam

amirah_87
06-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Salaams sis

No need to rub it in Maw!!!..oooooo look @ me i have a pool!!...oooo look @ me i'm havin' a pool party!!!....

Us Brits...can't have 1, the pool'd freeze on the spot or our gardens ain't big enuff!!!!..so pack it in plz!!.....

i guess like the sis' said ..if the awrah's covered than i guess there's no maani3!!...

wassalaamz

Mawaddah
06-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Ouch...Princess...are you serious... I wasn't trying to rub it in :X Ok Ok I'll edit it for your sake :p

amirah_87
06-20-2006, 08:14 PM
:lol:

Daffodil
06-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Is the pool in ur back yard? can other ppls houses over look it or anything? i wish i had a swimming pool in my back yard in the middle of nowhere so no one cud see. Thats why this world is like a prison for the believers n cant wait for the sweet release of death when we shall inshallah be with the comfort of our lord in paradise inshallah.

786rani
06-20-2006, 09:06 PM
my mum wants a hot tub on our decking (lol)
rani

Looking4Peace
06-20-2006, 11:19 PM
i swim with girls only, i got out of swimming in my college gym class because it was coed, how gross and they wonder why the guys act like pigs, i would with no problem if it was girls only, but thats just wrong, the only ones that get wavers are muslims and hisidic jews who refuse to as well (though i do not find that fair, what if a girl isnt a muslim but just doesnt feel comfortable). Would be easier if they just seperated it for everyone, but thats their problem.

Dhulqarnaeen
06-21-2006, 02:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
Assalamu alaikum

Question: Dear scholar, As-Salamu `alaykum. Is it permissible to swim with both Muslim ladies as well as non-Muslim ladies?

Answer : Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

If it is all females you are swimming with you are allowed to do that as long as they are not practicing nudity. It does not matter whether they are Muslims or non-Muslims provided they are no members of the opposite sex present.

Allah Almighty knows best.

Source

Ma'assalama
Who is this scholar? I mean it has to be clear which scholar we take fatawa from. And the explanation above is too short though. Maybe someone can give clearer fatawa and complete insha Allah. The basic ruling that a woman can take off their hijab in front of their females friends even in front of non muslim women, but Im not sure about swimming. But maybe its depend on the dress Im wondering. If you swim with your females friend with those minim swimming suit those kafereen usually wear, then maybe its not good cause it can bring fitnah between you girls. But if you want to swim with your female friends its best if you wear usual dress, its more saver maybe, Allahu A'lam. And the place must be save from mens sight :brother:

Dhulqarnaeen
06-21-2006, 02:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
Jazakallah Khair for everyones replies :) this is what I thought also. However this sister claimed that this is the opinion of Sheikh Ubaid al-Jaabiree so that's why I sought confirmation.

Heres a fatwa I found also :

Question :

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullah
Are Women allowed to swim in a secluded place together?
If yes. How are they supposed to dress as any dress will stick to the body when wet. Please explain in detail
Wassalaam

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Anything that could be a source of temptation among women must be prevented. So their swimming in clothes that do not cover their ‘awrah (parts of the body which must be covered) properly because they stick to the body is something that is not allowed. If they swim in clothes that cover them, in a place far from the gaze of men, and cover themselves as soon as they come out of the water so that others will not see them in clothes that show the shape or colour of their ‘awrah, then there is nothing wrong with this so long as they adhere to the shar’i conditions. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)
UPS....I didnt see this fatawa when I wrote my post above...lol. Thats true then masha Allah

Tania
06-21-2006, 07:22 PM
Its indicated to swim in your back yard swimming pool because :
1.thats prevent other strange men to see you
2.you can take proper clothes to cover your body
3.there is no music or other un Islamic activities
Source :
Mufti Ebrahim Desai
http://www.islam.tc/ask-imam/view.php?q=12470

strider
06-21-2006, 07:35 PM
Assalamu alaikum

format_quote Originally Posted by Dhulqarnaeen
Who is this scholar? I mean it has to be clear which scholar we take fatawa from. And the explanation above is too short though. Maybe someone can give clearer fatawa and complete insha Allah. The basic ruling that a woman can take off their hijab in front of their females friends even in front of non muslim women, but Im not sure about swimming. But maybe its depend on the dress Im wondering. If you swim with your females friend with those minim swimming suit those kafereen usually wear, then maybe its not good cause it can bring fitnah between you girls. But if you want to swim with your female friends its best if you wear usual dress, its more saver maybe, Allahu A'lam. And the place must be save from mens sight :brother:
All the questions on the link i provided were answered by Sheikh Ahmad Kutty who is 'A Senior Lecturer and an Islamic Scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.'

More details on the scholar can be found here

Ma'assalama

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.