/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Japanese

limitless
06-21-2006, 05:53 PM
:sl:

Anyone here is well known to the japanese language? :D or japansese muslim or anyone?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
limitless
06-21-2006, 06:03 PM

Heres waht I know so far.

Saisho wa min na barabara ni egaite ita chiheisen,
ima nara hitotsu no bouenkyou de nozokeru.

Translated.

At first, we all drew our own horizons,
but now, we can gaze through the same spyglass.

it is some kind of a two sentence poem i tried to write lol .

ps: not a poet.

root
06-21-2006, 06:10 PM
All I know is Banzai & Kamikaze

:giggling:

Nawal89
06-21-2006, 06:37 PM
I know quite a few words...I would love to learn japanese. It's a beautiful language.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mawaddah
06-21-2006, 09:08 PM
I know : Banzai!! and Gumenneh and Hayaku and Nani and Sogoi!!

Yeah...silly stuff like that

afriend
06-21-2006, 09:38 PM
LOL

my aunty knows Jap, she lived there for like 2 years or something...

DAWUD_adnan
06-21-2006, 09:41 PM
SubhanAllah,

hey i think japaneses is sicK!

it s cool

afriend
06-21-2006, 09:43 PM
But it's hard to learn tho!

Helena
06-21-2006, 09:44 PM
i love japanese language....
i can say stuff like...ohio? nande...is dat chinese?

limitless
06-22-2006, 08:24 PM

I think it is chinese it doesn't relate to the Japanese language. I can't speak Japanese, but can understand it and write it in a english style only so far, which i thought myself lol. The only languages i know English fluently, reading, and writing, then Arab I can read and talk. Next, French is my next language that I know very well , can speak, write, but hard to read. Then it comes down to urdu which I barely know! It is like 1-5% max i know that language, and same for japanese.

amirah_87
06-22-2006, 08:28 PM
^^^^ what's the difference between chinese and japenese anyways??

Vishnu
06-22-2006, 08:30 PM
私は私がそれのように実際に感じないので、日本語私を教えない知っているが。

amirah_87
06-22-2006, 08:33 PM
what is THAT :? chinese or japense :?

limitless
06-22-2006, 08:33 PM

Well I am not quiet familary with the MAIN difference, when it comes down to both languages, you have to be specific you can't be general. Because in some parts both languages are similar yet differ at same time. Maybe this might help you:

Historically, the Kanji Writing System was imported from China, but as time the time went by, kanji writing has evolved into a part of the Japanese Writing System by using the borrowed ideograms to indicate pronunciation.

Although we use Kanji characters as much as Chinese people use, Japanese people use less Kanji characters comparing to Chinese people.

Even if you look at some of the Japanese culture, there are some adoption of cultural and religious materials from China too.
For instance, Chinese herbal medicine is quite popular in Japan.

--credit to: http://www.learn-japanese-kanji-hira...ineseKanji.htm

That is one of them, theres way more, but you have to do some reasearch lol.

amirah_87
06-22-2006, 08:35 PM
LOL!...insha'Allah ...thanx for your help though !!..barakAllahu feek

786rani
06-22-2006, 08:41 PM
konichiwa,
ishashi boodi
arigato
rani

786rani
06-22-2006, 08:52 PM
i'm writin a story about tokyo right now 4 geography lesson tomorrow.
rani

Dhulqarnaeen
06-24-2006, 03:48 AM
Ohayo ghozaimasu everyone?, ogenki desuka? Hajimema****e. Arigatou gozaimasu. Actually I dont know japanese, just playing around:argue:

Taqiyah
06-24-2006, 03:59 AM
S/c/w
Wow! I heard Japanese is pretty hard....I gotta Japanese friend at my school...she tried to teach me some words....but I couldn't even pronounce them...I am also learning Spanish which is so very easy...

F.Y.
06-24-2006, 04:01 AM
I only know:
Nan jin des ka?
Australia jin des.

hehe.
Translation:
Where are you from?
Im from Australia.

I think its like that anyway.....
Peace

amirah_87
06-24-2006, 09:57 AM
LOL @ i will kill you.......:giggling:

Helena
06-24-2006, 05:45 PM
woah interensting japanese word..knw any numbers in japanese? or months or days?

F.Y.
06-25-2006, 05:19 AM
Ichi - 1
Ni - 2
San - 3
Shi - 4

Those are the only numbers I think I know.

Nawal89
06-25-2006, 11:20 AM
wowww

neko-cat
inu-dog
mizu-water
Iie-no
Hai-yes
onna-girl/woman??i'm not too sure
baka- idiot (my favorite)

DAWUD_adnan
06-25-2006, 11:27 AM
ikuzo> lets go , only one i know whahahhaha

subhanAllah

noshaba
06-25-2006, 12:31 PM
japanese...i js laff at those who speak it...i dnt think id have tht much of a tongue to speak as effectively as them....solid language!!

Mawaddah
06-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Japanese sounds so pretty!! everytime I watch an anime cartoon I'm always like MAN I wanna learn Japanese and then I get in all a frenzy looking up Japanese websites for learning and all of that, but then I just get bored.....and the process starts all over again sooner or later ;D

I know some curse words too but I wont post them :X

Vishnu
06-25-2006, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by F.Y.
Translation:
Where are you from?
Im from Australia.

I think its like that anyway.....
Peace
どこからあるか
オーストラリアからの

syilla
06-26-2006, 01:48 AM
i love japanese too...

my name is syilla-san...

Dhulqarnaeen
06-26-2006, 02:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dhulqarnaeen
Ohayo ghozaimasu everyone?, ogenki desuka? Hajimema****e. Arigatou gozaimasu. Actually I dont know japanese, just playing around:argue:
How can there are stars in my writing above :rollseyes . And I dont even know the continuation of this word hajimema****e. Coz I just paste what I seen in the japanese websites ;D . I dont remember the meaning though. Imwondering if they wrote curse words then I wouldnt have no ideas but just put it in :hiding:

Vishnu
06-26-2006, 02:30 AM
其实我不知道这里有谁知道,我打字不是中国的另一种语言. 好一群傻瓜你哦.

:)

786rani
06-26-2006, 05:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dhulqarnaeen
u scared me i only learn a few words from the japanese assistant
rani

aysegul
11-01-2008, 11:54 AM
ı think most difficult thing in this language is writing it:)

The Khan
11-01-2008, 04:51 PM
This is what I know -

Anatawa Nihongo Wakarimaska? Do you speak Japanese?

Hai, Nihongo Wakarimas. I understand Japanese.

Nani? What?

NANDATTO?!?! WTH?!?!?!

Anatawa...saitaides. You're despicable.

Hmm...can't think of anything else.

Danah
11-01-2008, 05:02 PM
I am in learning the language and already finished the hiragana alphapet but I dont time have the time currently to go to the katana

I know many words but they still need revision........but its very nice language to learn
I cant wait graduating so I will have a lot of free time to learn the language in details in sha allah

seeker-of-light
11-01-2008, 10:52 PM
konichiwa^^ i know a little japanese not alot though:P i would love to visit japan someday though^^ i didnt know you were japanese though:Othats really cool^^ i am from plain america lol=x

Danah
11-02-2008, 07:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by seeker-of-light
konichiwa^^ i know a little japanese not alot though:P i would love to visit japan someday though^^ i didnt know you were japanese though:Othats really cool^^ i am from plain america lol=x
I would like to visit japan one day imsad

malayloveislam
12-22-2008, 04:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SAYA
I would like to visit japan one day imsad

Why not, you also can apply to study in Japan through Monbukagakusho (the Ministry of Education, Japan). Maybe you can get scholarship through Monbukagakusho if you are under 22. In our country, we have the Policy of Look East, I'm not really an oriental person but this policy had been introduced by our ex-PM, Mahathir Mohd because he wanted our nationals to learn about good service from Japanese.

http://www.studyjapan.go.jp/en/toj/toj0302e.html

I envy you more because you can speak Arabic better, it is already an advantage for you but much better if you know Japanese especially you are a native Arabic speaker.

You can teach Japanese women about Islam. There are many Muslim Japanese women but they are not really religious and the books written in Japanese about Islamic Creed, Islamic Way of Life, and about Islamic Hygiene for women are scarcely found. It is the responsibility for Muslim sisters to assist.

There is also Japanese language examination conducted by Japanese Association and Japanese Consulate, I think they have it 4 levels for you to complete the requirement for University admission in Japan. I just finished a level, which is the lowest level, level 400. The highest level is level 100. Maybe you can consult Japanese Associations or Japanese Consulate in your country for further details because certain country might have different foreign policy.

Nihongo wa muzukashii jya-nai, Ganbatte neh!!!

Never hesitate to ask about Japanese language if you have any question, Insya-Allah we will try to help with our limited knowledge if we are able to answer. Make this as a step-stone for you to teach Islam and spread Allah's blessings in Japan.

Danah
12-22-2008, 05:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by malayloveislam

Why not, you also can apply to study in Japan through Monbukagakusho (the Ministry of Education, Japan). Maybe you can get scholarship through Monbukagakusho if you are under 22. In our country, we have the Policy of Look East, I'm not really an oriental person but this policy had been introduced by our ex-PM, Mahathir Mohd because he wanted our nationals to learn about good service from Japanese.

http://www.studyjapan.go.jp/en/toj/toj0302e.html

I envy you more because you can speak Arabic better, it is already an advantage for you but much better if you know Japanese especially you are a native Arabic speaker.

You can teach Japanese women about Islam. There are many Muslim Japanese women but they are not really religious and the books written in Japanese about Islamic Creed, Islamic Way of Life, and about Islamic Hygiene for women are scarcely found. It is the responsibility for Muslim sisters to assist.

There is also Japanese language examination conducted by Japanese Association and Japanese Consulate, I think they have it 4 levels for you to complete the requirement for University admission in Japan. I just finished a level, which is the lowest level, level 400. The highest level is level 100. Maybe you can consult Japanese Associations or Japanese Consulate in your country for further details because certain country might have different foreign policy.

Nihongo wa muzukashii jya-nai, Ganbatte neh!!!

Never hesitate to ask about Japanese language if you have any question, Insya-Allah we will try to help with our limited knowledge if we are able to answer. Make this as a step-stone for you to teach Islam and spread Allah's blessings in Japan.
jazak allah khair brother for such reply.
I am really interested in the language and the culture as well, and I am doing some searching about Islam condition in Japan. It will be my ultimate dream to go to japan one day and teach women about islam, but thats too far for a beginner in the language like me.
about the studying in japan, there is no problem at all to get a scholarship to study there, I can get it in one month or maybe less than that. The problem is with my family, its hard for them to accept me studying in a non-islamic country.

brother, jazak allah khair for the link you provide. I am an arabic native speaker, and I really would like to learn the language. I am trying to do it online, I think there is no schools in my area teaching japanese which make the learning progress harder for me, but khair insha allah, I wil do my best

Insha allah I will try to revise what I already learned and seek your help brother, jazak allah khair in advance

are you a japanese, brother? if you dont mind me asking
if not, how long you have been learning the language?

EDIT: I just checked the website u gave, and found that I can be under Foreign-government Sponsored Students, and the good thing is that Japan also provides necessary cooperation, such as preparatory educations of Japanese language or acceptance to the universities to my country, who knows I might go there some day. Just keep me in your duaa to go there brother

malayloveislam
12-23-2008, 06:44 AM

It is very nice to hear from you sister, I am not a native Japanese, just learning the language in the varsity for my university minor. I had learned it for 2 years.

About the problem on Japanese environment, you don't have to worry because it will always happen if we learn Japanese in the country that do not use Japanese. I am also having the difficulties at the beginning because my Japanese teacher is not a Japanese but a local Chinese who learned Japanese. I am a Malaysian Malay.

Your family should be confident with you, Japanese people usually respect people of different faith. I had met several Japanese students during my study in Japanese class and they are eager to know about Islam. Also I had met a Japanese Muslim master student here in my varsity, I am so ashamed when I see him because he is more focus in Ibadah than born-Muslim students here.

Alhamdulillah, I am glad that you can be categorized under foreign sponsored student, with preserverance, efforts, and duaa anything may happen. Don't worry sister, your intention is good, Allah knows what is the best for Islamic Ummah in Japan, you have our duaa and moral support here.

Danah
12-23-2008, 07:04 AM
jazak allah khair brother

I want to know something else if you dont mind......
are you living in Japan now?
if yeah, How do Japanese people act when seeing a woman wearing niqab (covering her face)?

I remember sent an email to Osaca mosque about this, they said that there are very few Muslim women cover their faces. But I want to know is it soo rare to see women with niqab? and what is the reaction there?

malayloveislam
12-23-2008, 04:21 PM
I am not living in Japan but I had been there particularly in Chiba district and Gyotoku area. Yeah, it is very rare to see women wearing Niqab in Japan.

Last time I had met a Muslim Arab family from Iraq at the airport after returning home, the family had already obtained their Japanese citizenship and using Japanese passport. I see that the mother only wearing Sunni Muslim women style veil but not covering her face. I think it is better to be modest in dressing but if it is your custom then you have to keep it with you. They are actually open minded people but they maybe are not familiar with certain point of customs. Like in my country, we are familiar with women wearing Niqab and understand why women need to cover their face because we had already being Muslim long time ago. At first maybe you have to explain to them why are you wearing Niqab, also when you reach Japanese immigration they will need to check your face and the photo in your passport, it is advisable for you to ask for female immigration officer to stamp your passport. There will always be challenges in every good intention. All the best, Insya-Allah.

Danah
12-23-2008, 04:44 PM
jazak allah khair brother, this is giving me a lot to think about

Wyatt
01-03-2009, 07:19 PM
私は少し日本語が話せるけど、今年は日本へ旅行に行きたくて計画を立つつもりだよ。

私の日本語はまだでごめんね

ポダロク

The Ruler
01-18-2009, 11:58 AM
I was wondering about the use of 'ga' in sentences... Does it have a particular meaning?

I know about:
- no (eg. watashi no = Mine/My; Watashtachi no = Our) But sometimes, it also means 'of' right? eg. Sora no yakusoku = The promise of the Sky.
- to = and
- wa = am/is/are (eg. watashi wa = I am; Sore wa = that is; bokura/watashtachi wa = we are)

But in what context is 'ga' used?

Wyatt
01-18-2009, 04:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
I was wondering about the use of 'ga' in sentences... Does it have a particular meaning?

I know about:
- no (eg. watashi no = Mine/My; Watashtachi no = Our) But sometimes, it also means 'of' right? eg. Sora no yakusoku = The promise of the Sky.
- to = and
- wa = am/is/are (eg. watashi wa = I am; Sore wa = that is; bokura/watashtachi wa = we are)

But in what context is 'ga' used?
Wa is just the subject particle. You could translate it as "as for..." like Kyô wa, gakkô ni ikimasu. -As for today, I am going to school.

But that's usually omitted and we just say "Today, I am going to school."

Ga is the topic particle. It's usage may take a while to get used to in difference with Wa, but if you search for the difference on Google, there are many sites to practice it (I believe).

Watashi wa, neko ga suki desu. = As for me, cat's are the ones that are likeable.
"I like cats."

This isn't O (spelled with "Wo" character), which is the direct object particle. Do you know this?
Watashi wa, butaniku o tabemasen.
-I don't eat pork.
It's the direct object that the verb affects. You're eating what? The pork.

Erm. If you need any other help or more help with these, you can add my MSN and I'll be glad to help you out! :)

-Podarok

[Edit: Sometimes you can't fit any English words in a sentence to get the meaning of Ga in a Japanese sentence, so like a lot of other Japanese grammar, you will have to create a purely Japanese box in your head in which you comprehend solely in Japanese and not in any other mother tongue.]

The Ruler
01-18-2009, 09:13 PM
It would be nice if you could trasliterate. I can't read japanese.

Wyatt
01-18-2009, 09:18 PM
It would be nice if you could trasliterate. I can't read japanese.
Okay, I edited it. :D

بنــuaeــت
01-19-2009, 07:01 AM
I do not know Japanese

Only a few words

The Ruler
01-20-2009, 08:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Podarok
Ga is the topic particle. It's usage may take a while to get used to in difference with Wa, but if you search for the difference on Google, there are many sites to practice it (I believe).

This isn't O (spelled with "Wo" character), which is the direct object particle. Do you know this?
Watashi wa, butaniku o tabemasen.
-I don't eat pork.
It's the direct object that the verb affects. You're eating what? The pork.
Those words... Zen zen wakarimasen.

Güven
01-20-2009, 08:16 PM
^ does that mean " I realy dont know " ?

Danah
01-20-2009, 08:18 PM
^ It means dont know them at all.....if I am not mistaken

The Ruler
01-20-2009, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
^ does that mean " I realy dont know " ?
Yah, pretty much. Though, if I remember it correctly, those words were subbed into this, "I don't get it at all".

EDIT: I really don't know = hontoni shiranai (but that's more like saying, "really, I don't know". 'Wakarimasen' is more like 'I don't understand' where as 'shiranai' is "I don't know".

Güven
01-20-2009, 08:20 PM
ooh I was close tho , my japanese is getting better :thumbs_up

The Ruler
01-20-2009, 08:23 PM
ooh I was close tho , my japanese is getting better :thumbs_up
I believe the quote and my use of Pon (the name of the rabbit thingamajig) is what aided you?

Güven
01-20-2009, 08:31 PM
I believe the quote and my use of Pon (the name of the rabbit thingamajig) is what aided you?
no not realy i would have said the same without it , they are getting very familiar to me becuz of the amount of anime I used to watch and still watch btw

Yah, pretty much. Though, if I remember it correctly, those words were subbed into this, "I don't get it at all".

EDIT: I really don't know = hontoni shiranai (but that's more like saying, "really, I don't know". 'Wakarimasen' is more like 'I don't understand' where as 'shiranai' is "I don't know".

yep thats more like it ...."Hontoni" means realy, and "shiranai" is I dont know :thumbs_up

but they use wakarimasen more though isnt it ?

The Ruler
01-20-2009, 08:37 PM
no not realy i would have said the same without it , they are getting very familiar to me becuz of the amount of anime I used to watch and still watch btw
Ah. Sokka. No wonder.

yep thats more like it ...."Hontoni" means realy, and "shiranai" is I dont know :thumbs_up

but they use wakarimasen more though isnt it ?
Wakarimasen is more formal. Wakarimasen is only used when they don't understand, not when they don't know. There's a difference, no?

Güven
01-20-2009, 08:42 PM
^ oooh I see ....uhmm soo Wakarimashta means I understand?

The Ruler
01-20-2009, 08:43 PM
^Yup. Or wakarimasu. Wakarimasen ka? = "Do you understand?"

Güven
01-20-2009, 08:49 PM
^ Wakarimashta , hontoni arigatou :D

The Ruler
01-20-2009, 08:57 PM
^ Wakarimashta , hontoni arigatou :D
Iiah, shinpaisuruna. To think I've taught someone some japanese... Ureshii~

Danah
01-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Here I have a question

I am a bit confused with the pronouns .
like...Me

its different for male, female, formal or informal....

the same thing goes for you

can someone please write the different situation of pronouns ?
thanks in advance.......I would like them to be written in hiragana if possible

The Ruler
01-21-2009, 04:41 PM
^Ah... I don't know much, and I can't give you anything in hiragana, but I do know that 'ore' is masculine (and informal too, I think).

The following are my guesses:
- watashi = formal (can probably can be used by both sexes)
- boku = informal (can be used by both sexes?)

Danah
01-21-2009, 04:47 PM
I think boku is only for males....I read that somewhere :? not sure though

The Ruler
01-21-2009, 04:49 PM
^Ah, of course! It's boku for male and atashi for female. My bad. And they're both informal.

Wyatt
01-22-2009, 08:13 PM
I think boku is only for males....I read that somewhere :? not sure though
ぼく can be used by any gender in songs. Weird, but I've heard it. Not in speech though, usually used by males.

I
わたくし- Very formal, I would use this for bosses or people you just meet that may be higher on the social ladder.

わたし- Formal, I use this with anyone I don't really know or when I'm speaking on the internet. I like to stay formal because my Japanese isn't perfect, so I would just probably sound weird trying to use informal speech.

ぼく- Informal, masculine. I use this with a good friend of mine that is in Japan right now, and I also use it for anything else that doesn't require anyone I don't know.

あたし- Informal, feminine. My friend (who is a girl) uses this all the time. It's like ぼく, but for girls, I guess. Haha.

あたい- This is apparently used by old people, but I've never listened to an old person speak it. :D

おれ- This is highly informal, and probably masculine. This should probably be avoided. You will hear gangsters or young toughs speak with it. It's really between friends, I guess. Never use in a formal situation. Awkwaarrd.

You
あなた- General "you". Formally, though, one might say the actual persons name, which would sound weird in English. Like, if I'm talking to Takako, I might go "たかこさんは ねこが すき?" "Does Takako like cats?" though she's right there. This may not be really formal.

あんた- This may be the equivalent of ぼく or あたし, but for 'you'. It's obviously informal, and used between friends.

きみ- Intimate "you". This, I think, is usually used between really good friends, or well acquainted people. Or lovers.

おまえ- This is probably like the おれ or "you". It's really informal, and may be shortened to おめぇ. lol. I think it used to be formal though.

こいつ- Literally "This person". This is apparently rude. Not sure though, I never really hear it used like that.

Other Pronouns
われわれ- Means, apparently, 'we' rather than ”__”+たち, but I don't know the circumstances.

あいつ- Genderless he/she. It literally means "that person over there". I'm pretty sure it's rude and you'd use it when you're insulting someone.

These are loose rules. I wouldn't strictly follow these when listening because these are just my interpretations. If anyone has corrections, please. And, I would stay with formal when learning Japanese. Hehe. Unless it's an informality of which you're sure.

There are more pronouns, but those are the main ones. There should be lists elsewhere on the web if you want to look at them for fun.
Those words... Zen zen wakarimasen.

Daijoubu ne. It's hard to explain. They're particles, or just words, that mark the topic and subject.
When doing the subject of a sentence, you will be able to place the words "as for..." in it.
Watashi wa gakkou ni ikimasu. I go to school. You could place "As for me,... (I) go to school."

Watashi ga would make it the topic, in which you are specifically pointing it out.
Watashi ga gakkou ni ikimasu. Here, in most cases you might be able to say "be the one that".
Watashi ga gakkou ni ikimasu = I (am the one) that goes to school. Like, as opposed to someone else.

Watashi wa neko ga suki desu. = It's not pointing out that you like CATS opposed to something else, but just that cats are the things applying to the verb or doing the action. In this case, it's applying to the adjective. The watashi wa can be omitted most of the time.

Hope that helps. :D

Danah
01-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Oh thanks a lot.....I appreciated that, I copy your past to a document to refer back to it when I need

Can I ask you a question? Where did you learn Japanese? have you been in Japan?

Thanks again.....more questions to come insha allah. so be prepared :)

maron
01-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Wow,
Podarok, you are amazing in Japanese
Good thread.

Wyatt
01-23-2009, 12:08 AM
Can I ask you a question? Where did you learn Japanese? have you been in Japan?
format_quote Originally Posted by maron
Wow,
Podarok, you are amazing in Japanese
Good thread.
Thanks! :)

I haven't been to Japan, but I've had 3-4 years worth of self-study/speaking and learning from Japanese friends. :D I'm not that good if you're a native and you talk to me. Haha, but I do know a lot of the basics for sure. I'm getting into a lot more advanced stuff now, because I took a year off of Japanese (regretably). I'm going to be attending college learning Japanese and majoring in it along with Japanese culture, so hopefully I will be able to go there within the next couple of years.

:statisfie

And I'm ready for any question! :)

Re.TiReD
01-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Translations please :)

Sabishii
Konpaku
Kokoro

The Ruler
01-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Daijoubu ne. It's hard to explain. They're particles, or just words, that mark the topic and subject.
When doing the subject of a sentence, you will be able to place the words "as for..." in it.
Watashi wa gakkou ni ikimasu. I go to school. You could place "As for me,... (I) go to school."

Watashi ga would make it the topic, in which you are specifically pointing it out.
Watashi ga gakkou ni ikimasu. Here, in most cases you might be able to say "be the one that".
Watashi ga gakkou ni ikimasu = I (am the one) that goes to school. Like, as opposed to someone else.

Watashi wa neko ga suki desu. = It's not pointing out that you like CATS opposed to something else, but just that cats are the things applying to the verb or doing the action. In this case, it's applying to the adjective. The watashi wa can be omitted most of the time.

Hope that helps. :D
I understand, somewhat. (How would I say that in japanese? Would it be--> Wakarimasu, demo chotto ne. But that more like "I understand. But only a little" ne?)

Güven
01-27-2009, 06:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amatul Wadud
Translations please :)

Sabishii
Konpaku
Kokoro
Sabashii - being/feeling lonely
Konpaku - Soul?
kokoro - Heart?

Re.TiReD
01-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Sabashii - being/feeling lonely
Konpaku - Soul?
kokoro - Heart?
That rocks :thumbs_up

Now where's zAk :p

The Ruler
01-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Boku wa sugoi deshou? *shades*

Danah
01-27-2009, 10:49 PM
can someone provide me with a link for a virtual hiragana and katakana keyboard?
because the one I am using now dont have all the characters...

alcurad
01-27-2009, 11:07 PM
http://www.lookera.com/base/keyboard...e-keyboard.php

Danah
01-27-2009, 11:11 PM
^ jazak allah khair brother, It has all characters alhumdulilah...........

Re.TiReD
01-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Boku wa sugoi deshou? *shades*
uh huh, I agree :shade:

What? :blind: :-[

Wyatt
01-28-2009, 11:09 PM
can someone provide me with a link for a virtual hiragana and katakana keyboard?
because the one I am using now dont have all the characters...
You can just set up the IME on Windows so you can type w-a-t-a-s-h-i and get わたし with the space bar hit, it makes 私. Or, if you're on a Mac, the set-up process is different, but same concept.

がんばってね

Danah
01-29-2009, 11:24 AM
You can just set up the IME on Windows so you can type w-a-t-a-s-h-i and get わたし with the space bar hit, it makes 私. Or, if you're on a Mac, the set-up process is different, but same concept.

がんばってね
ほんとに ありがと .........hope I wrote it right :)

The Ruler
01-29-2009, 06:36 PM
uh huh, I agree :shade:

What? :blind: :-[
That meant, "I'm amazing, aren't I?"

Re.TiReD
01-29-2009, 06:58 PM
That meant, "I'm amazing, aren't I?"
No, you're grouchy <_< What happened to the invincible stickman...he owned

The Ruler
01-29-2009, 07:16 PM
No, you're grouchy <_< What happened to the invincible stickman...he owned
Urusai. The invinvible stick man will own again. Once I get over the green fluff.

Boku wa gorouchy jannai. Sugoi desu. Su-go-ee.

The Ruler
01-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Podarok sensei, translate this onegai:

But you're ______ too.

Am I right when I translate the following:

Right now, ___________ is my all - Ima, __________ wa watashi no subete.

Wyatt
01-31-2009, 04:28 AM
ほんとに ありがと .........hope I wrote it right :)
ほんとうにありがとう* :D

Podarok sensei, translate this onegai:

But you're ______ too.

Am I right when I translate the following:

Right now, ___________ is my all - Ima, __________ wa watashi no subete.
But, you're _____ too. = Demo, anata mo _____ desu yo.

About the translation of yours, they wouldn't say something like that in Japanese because it's just not a Japanese expression. We would in English, but not in any other language. For "Right now, ____ is my all," I'm guessing you're meaning effort? So... Maybe you could say something like "Ima wa, ganbarimasu yo ne," which would mean "I'm doing my best now." I need the blanks to be filled in because I need context for translation.

Thanks. =]

Danah
01-31-2009, 12:30 PM
ほんとうにありがとう* :D
why u used the last character う?
is it arigato or arigatou?

Wyatt
02-01-2009, 03:42 AM
why u used the last character う?
is it arigato or arigatou?
The う prolongs the お. That just gives it a longer sound, and is rarely ever transliterated when learning words in ろーまじ. Even though the letters may be different to prolong a vowel, the sound doesn't change. It will not sound like "oh-ooh" but "Oh(long)".

I think the best way to write it out so it doesn't look weird or confusing with two vowels, just put a ^ over the letter.

ありがとう = Arigatô
ほんとう = Hontô
とうきょう = Tôkyô

That's just how the words are spelled. :)

To prolong:
え⇒ えい (けいたい [mobile])
い⇒ いい (いい [good])
お⇒ おう (ほっかいどう [Hokkaidô])

I don't think あ and う are ever really prolonged. :hmm:

Hope this helped. :):happy::happy:

Good luck!

Re.TiReD
02-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Ohhhh I cudnt see the funny characters at home...was wondering what the boxes were...I can see em now =D

The Ruler
02-02-2009, 09:17 PM
I need the blanks to be filled in because I need context for translation.

Thanks. =]
Uhh, the sentence was taken from a manga, so it was acutally referring to a person. How would it go if the line was referring to a person? "Right now, ________ is my all".

The Ruler
02-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Naze daremo iinai? Is that correct for, "why is no one here?"

Re.TiReD
02-03-2009, 02:21 PM
^^ Akai no bara :D

Thats all I know how to say :-[

The Ruler
02-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Podarok sensei wa doko ni iru no? (I'm aware that sentence is gramatically incorrect)

omar_2133
02-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Can't get my head round the grammar:hmm:

The Ruler
02-23-2009, 04:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by omar_2133
Can't get my head round the grammar:hmm:
When you try to get your head around the grammar, it's hard. But when you don't, it's not that hard.

malayloveislam
05-01-2009, 06:36 PM
さあ,くらすもうおわりました....あんしんた゛な!!!

The Ruler
05-03-2009, 01:32 AM
Transliterate kudasai. RAW Japanese wa wakarimasen.

Yanal
05-03-2009, 01:39 AM
The ruler how did you learn Japanese?

The Ruler
05-03-2009, 01:42 AM
Anime desu. The ones dubbed in Japanese but subbed in english.

Mawaddah
05-03-2009, 01:48 AM
^lolol. Same way I learnt Korean :p

The Ruler
05-03-2009, 01:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
^lolol. Same way I learnt Korean :p
The only Korean I know are: oppa, sunbae, nuna, unni. And those I picked up from manwhas. -_-

Yanal
05-03-2009, 01:57 AM
Wow you pick things up fast MashAllah.

malayloveislam
05-03-2009, 06:35 AM
Transliterate kudasai. RAW Japanese wa wakarimasen.

Gomenneh, kono hiragana wa "saa, kurasu mou owarimatta, anshin da na!!" iimasu... (So sorry, that hiragana says, "yess, my class had finished, I'm so relieved!!"

I dunno whether the grammar is correct but who cares, let us just use Japanese without fear. Don't let grammar crushing our head and limiting our interest in Japanese.

Whoa, brother Ruler, you are a fast learner. I don't really watch Anime although I had learned Japanese formally for two years. Now, I'm also learning to watch Anime, I just noticed that it helps :D.

I'm now revising again my Japanese notes too. I hope to help and share some knowledge that I had just get with brothers and sisters in Islamicboard who are interested in Japanese :statisfie.

malayloveislam
05-03-2009, 07:27 AM

あなたのおなまえはなんですか?

Anata no O-namae wa nan desu ka?

What is your name?

の (no): possessive particle

おなまえ (o-namae): Name, お is honorific suffix in-front of a noun

は (wa): is, are

なん (nan): what

か (ka): question particle

あなたのおなまえはなんといいますか?

Anata no o-namae wa nan to ii-masuka?

What is your name?

といいますか (to ii-masuka): to be called, to be pronounced, to be said

malayloveislam
05-03-2009, 07:35 AM
Japanese point of culture

Just for additional information

おじぎ (Ojigi)

It means bowing, Japanese bow to each other when they meet. Person of lower rank bow first. Formal bow usually performed by standing straight and face the person directly. Greetings like Hajimemashte (How do you do) are said when you are about to bow. Before bowing, keep your legs straight and heels close to each other. Hold both arms close to both sides of your body, with fingers close to each other. Bow 45 degree, keep eye level at the person shoes. Man bow with both arms remain close of their body. Lady bow with arms moved inward with both hands staying on their laps. Casual bow is between 15 and 25 degree.

Ojigi also used to express gratitude and apologies.

malayloveislam
05-03-2009, 07:54 AM
はじめまして, アリです・どうぞよろしくおねがいします・

Hajimemashte, Ali desu. Douzo yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

How do you do, I am Ali. Nice meeting you and please teach me.

はじめる (hajimeru): first time

どうぞよろしく (douzo yoroshiku): nice to meet you

おねがいします (onegaishimasu): please, this one in my understanding is actually to
soften the sentence and make it more polite, usually
when you are in a new place and asking the guidance
and help from seniors to teach you.

Danah
05-03-2009, 08:21 AM
^Oh jazak Allah khair brother......I almost forgot all the huragana and katakana characters I learned before few months because I did not revise them at all due to my busy schedule

inshaAllah I will need your help in this thread when I get some more time to re-study Japaneses again if you dont mind

the most thing scared me in the language is the Kanji characters, which I think that I will never be able to memorize

malayloveislam
05-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Don't worry sister, I'm ready and more than happy to serve Ummah... Don't be scared with Kanji, Japanese is flexible in written form. Be happy by focusing on Hiragana and Katakana, you will get Kanji gradually. Don't forget to recite duaa whenever you start revising Japanese and other studies ya. Allah will bless our studies insya-Allah.

Danah
06-13-2009, 08:03 PM
can anyone Help me plz?....this thread seems to be dead again:

In hiragana there are no letters like "L" or "v" what if we have names we need to write in hiragana? how we can write them?

Yanal
06-13-2009, 08:16 PM
^ sorry sister but I do not know japanese.

Wyatt
06-16-2009, 07:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
can anyone Help me plz?....this thread seems to be dead again:

In hiragana there are no letters like "L" or "v" what if we have names we need to write in hiragana? how we can write them?
They don't spell out words, but phonetically, warped to the strict syllabary they use. :D And, you should use katakana for names.

The L's are equivalent to the R row (which sounds more like a sharp L):
ラ リ ル レ ロ

Let's say, Allah would be アッー ("Arrā").

There is an equivalent to a V:

ヴァ ヴィ ヴ ヴェ ヴォ

Victor would be ヴィクター ("Bikkutā")

But, in common words like "video," they will write it like ビデオ because they pronounce V's as B's anyway.

format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
the most thing scared me in the language is the Kanji characters, which I think that I will never be able to memorize
Don't worry. Just allow time to memorize them. Japanese children learn the kanji all throughout school and high school, and probably more in university. It's not that bad. :) If you like calligraphy, you can practice writing them (along with their meanings) with paintbrushes or something.

That is, if you've got the paper to spare. :|

:D

After a while, you pick up patterns in the kanji and it makes them much easier to learn and write. Now, if I see a new one, I can just write the full word a couple times on a piece of paper and it's basically stuck.

Good luck!!

Danah
06-16-2009, 08:00 PM
They don't spell out words, but phonetically, warped to the strict syllabary they use. :D And, you should use katakana for names.

The L's are equivalent to the R row (which sounds more like a sharp L):
ラ リ ル レ ロ

Let's say, Allah would be アッー ("Arrā").

There is an equivalent to a V:

ヴァ ヴィ ヴ ヴェ ヴォ

Victor would be ヴィクター ("Bikkutā")

But, in common words like "video," they will write it like ビデオ because they pronounce V's as B's anyway.

I did not start at katakana yet, I wanted to master the hiragana very well then move to the katakana. I noticed that some names can be written by hiragana, so I was wondering about those names that have some letters like l and v.
so it seems that if we did not find all the letters in hiragana we can use katakana, right?

I think I have to move to the katakana. but did not we have any japanese words ( like verbs) that are not names but have L or V?

Don't worry. Just allow time to memorize them. Japanese children learn the kanji all throughout school and high school, and probably more in university. It's not that bad. :) If you like calligraphy, you can practice writing them (along with their meanings) with paintbrushes or something.

That is, if you've got the paper to spare. :|

:D

After a while, you pick up patterns in the kanji and it makes them much easier to learn and write. Now, if I see a new one, I can just write the full word a couple times on a piece of paper and it's basically stuck.

Good luck!!
Thanks a lot :)

Hopefully I will start working on it seriously now since I will have a lot of free time, even though its hard to learn a language individually.

I think I will bother you a lot from now on with my questions if you dont mind :)

malayloveislam
08-17-2009, 05:30 AM
Hmmmm..... The thread is dead again.

Let's learn basic Japanese : ) If you have the syllabary Hiragana table, please try to transcribe them on a piece of paper, it's tedious for me to use the online keyboard...

1. Tenki
2. Tsuchi no naka
3. Gakkou
4. Man en
5. Tsuki ga deru
6. Mikka kan
7. Ni nen sei
8. Oo Otoko

All of these words contain Kanji. I'm using the Shuugakkou Ni Nen Sei (Elementary School Second Year) book that I bought in Japan. Hope will be useful to Muslim brothers and sisters : ) Don't worry, you can transcribe them all in Hiragana, learning the words by heart and come back here to be checked by the visitors of the thread. The meaning can come any later...

May Allah SWT guide all of us

Danah
08-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Hmmmm..... The thread is dead again.

Let's learn basic Japanese : ) If you have the syllabary Hiragana table, please try to transcribe them on a piece of paper, it's tedious for me to use the online keyboard...

1. Tenki
2. Tsuchi no naka
3. Gakkou
4. Man en
5. Tsuki ga deru
6. Mikka kan
7. Ni nen sei
8. Oo Otoko

All of these words contain Kanji. I'm using the Shuugakkou Ni Nen Sei (Elementary School Second Year) book that I bought in Japan. Hope will be useful to Muslim brothers and sisters : ) Don't worry, you can transcribe them all in Hiragana, learning the words by heart and come back here to be checked by the visitors of the thread. The meaning can come any later...

May Allah SWT guide all of us
yeah the thread is dead again actually!!

Jazak Allah khair brother, can you suggest some good sites that teach Kanji for the early beginners who knows absolutely nothing about Kanji?
its kinda hard to find such books in my area

May Allah reward you

ژاله
08-17-2009, 12:58 PM
i know just one word of japanese and that is aa ri gaa to gazai mush. this is somethng like thankyou lol

malayloveislam
08-17-2009, 05:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaak
i know just one word of japanese and that is aa ri gaa to gazai mush. this is somethng like thankyou lol
LOL..... That's a good start. Arigatou Gozaimasu - Thank You :D

For sister Danah and other members, I think maybe these links could help you with Kanji, you may also use them as teaching method to others

http://japanese.about.com/od/kan2/Kanji.htm

http://japanese.about.com/library/blkow1.htm

Game to Recognize Kanji

https://www.msu.edu/~lakejess/kanjigame.html

Kanji Flashcards

http://www.easyjapanese.org/flashcards.html

But I advise you not to be hard on yourselves. You have the opportunity to master Kanji step by step. The most important thing is your conversational skill and syllabary alphabets. I don't want any of you feeling stressful like I happened to experienced in my Japanese class. Enjoy learning Japanese and Kanji, Insya-Allah you can master it :statisfie

malayloveislam
08-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Sis. Danah, do you watch animation or cartoon? If so, I suggest you the animation from Studio Ghibuli. They have nice stories with moral theme. You can learn Japanese through internet without any problem, but you need some audio.

It's far to go to Japan from your country of living, so you can at least make yourself familiar with the conversational Japanese, culture and their daily expression. The cartoon is exactly portraying real Japanese life before you can get the chance visiting the country.

A trailer of Studio Ghibuli Movie

猫の恩返し(Neko no Ongaeshi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5j4h...eature=related

Here is the theme song 風になる つじあやの (Kaze Ni Naru Tsuji Ayano), only for language learning sake, not for entertainment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGSZY...eature=related

Sorry, no English translation and also I can't find the full version movie, but in my country we have no problem to get the CD of Japanese or Chinese movies and also there are few slot in our TV dedicated for foreign movies or dramas from Japan or Korea, and of course it is seasonal. I just hope everybody enjoy learning Japanese.

Danah
08-17-2009, 06:24 PM
^ jazak Allah khair brother malayloveislam for the previous links in both previous posts

I will look at them inshaAllah

yes, I am very familiar with the Nihongo Alhumdulilah and I do watch some jap Anime, programs, and sometimes news even when the news is un translated but I can catch some familier words. In Anime and other programs I can sometimes understand the general story without looking at the translation but I am still a very early beginner.

I get any media like video from the internet "youtube" or some learning site. I remember saving a whole series of Nihongo lessons teaching how to use the very basic sentences if you visit Japan for the first time.

They have nice stories with moral theme
yeah sometimes its hard to find such materials I always try to read the topic of any drama or anime before I watch to make sure that its "watchable"

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.