/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Professor Abdul Jaleel

AvarAllahNoor
06-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Birth of Sikhism

Here's a little about what he's written!

Sikhism is known as the religion founded by Guru Nanak who was born in 1469 A.D. It is commonly understood as a compromise between the teachings of Hinduism and Islam. But a careful study of Sikh traditions and relics of Sikhism lead to an irrefutable conclusion that Guru Nanak discarded the Hindu doctrines and assimilated the teachings of Islam to such an extent that Sikhism, in its pristine form, can be looked upon as a sect of Islam.

Baba Nanak, by birth, was a Hindu. The elasticity of Hinduism makes it difficult to draw a line, crossing which a man ceases to be a Hindu. Deficiency in one's beliefs in the doctrines of Hinduism can be compensated by one's way of living and customs. But if one mixes with Muslims to such an extent that he eats and drinks with them and publicly performs religious rites of Islam, one would never be tolerated by Hindu society. The whole history of Sikhism shows that its founder, though born a Hindu, mixed with Muslims, joined in their prayers and performed other Islamic obligations, all in public. He wore none of the marks of Hindus upon him. On the other hand, he dressed like a Muslim and had all the insignia of a Muslim faqir on him. He passed his days with Muslim pirs and saints and ate and drank with them. It was a Muslim sufi he constantly turned to for advice and there is not a single instance in his life which indicated that he bowed his head to a Hindu pandit. There are many places associated with his name, where he is known to have performed Chillas, Nanak's chilla at Sirsa, a small town in the Punjab, is an example. (Chilla is an Islamic form of meditation). Travelling through Muslim countries he reached Mecca where he performed Haj (pilgrimage) and is also known to have visited the holy city of Medina. His choicest friend during these travels was a Muslim, Sheikh Farid, in whose company he passed twelve years of his life. Baba Nanak, while on pilgrimage, dressed like a pilgrim, carried with him a stick, Quran, a prayer mat and a water jug for performing ablution. Even his first four successors are represented in pictures as Muslims, carrying rosaries in their hands.

Guru Nanak also married in a Muslim family. This point is very important because no respectable Muslim family would have taken Nanak as a son-in-law, unless he was known to be a Muslim. Nanak lived in a country under Muslim rule where the marriage of a Muslim woman to a non-Muslim would on no account be tolerated. This clearly indicates that Guru Nanak was accepted as a Muslim by his contemporaries.

The Chola, or the cloak of Baba Nanak, is the holiest relic of the Guru and is preserved in Dera Baba Nanak, a small village in Gurdaspur District of the Punjab. This is a cloak which Nanak wore in his life-time and it is considered so sacred that his immediate followers took every care to keep it safe. The regard and reverence rendered to the Chola by the Sikh community is a testimony to the authenticity of the cloak. The words of Guru Nanak as contained in the Guru Granth Sahib (Sikh scriptures) were not collected until the time of Guru Arjan Dev, the fifth Guru, and therefore cannot be relied upon as accurate particularly as Sikhism had by that time assumed an attitude of hostility towards Islam. But the Chola is clear from this charge, because it was handed down by Nanak himself and has come down to our times in its original condition. It is commonly alleged that verses from different scriptures in different languages are written on the Chola. But this is not true. The verses chosen for writing on the Chola are quotations from the Holy Quran as revealed by photographs recently taken. The religion followed by the man can be none other than Islam.

Now i'm not sure who this person is but he's got this all mixed up. Sikhism is NOT a sect of Islam or a sect of Hinduism!!

http://www.------------/library/links/00000180.html

Are any muslims aware of this 'Ahamaidya Muslim Community'?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
amardeep
06-21-2006, 06:24 PM
i actially get very proud when i read these articles where muslims claim Guru Nanak Maharaj to be a muslim...it shows how much they admire him :D...

do you have a msn account Paaji ?

Mohsin
06-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Are any muslims aware of this 'Ahamaidya Muslim Community'?
Of course we are. http://www.islamicboard.com/sects-di...-movement.html

Umar001
06-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Yea they are a group kinda wierd in a way.

I have heard that too, sikhism is somehow a mix of Hinduism and ISlam.

not that I am saying it is but I have heard it

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mohsin
06-23-2006, 05:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
Yea they are a group kinda wierd in a way.

I have heard that too, sikhism is somehow a mix of Hinduism and ISlam.

not that I am saying it is but I have heard it
I heard it is too, but sikhs will unanimously deny it. Its like non-muslims anti-islamists saying the qur'an was copied from the bible and Islam is a mixture of new and old pagan customs

Umar001
06-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Yea I know thats why I dont say I believe it. cos I dont know

bint_muhammed
06-26-2006, 10:19 PM
so guru nanak wasnt a muslim or a hindu? i'm really confused!

AvarAllahNoor
06-26-2006, 10:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ya_Giney
so guru nanak wasnt a muslim or a hindu? i'm really confused!
What's the confusion?

Q: Many people think that Sikhism is a sect of Islam or Hinduism and many others think that Sikhism is a combination of Islam and Hinduism. What do Sikhs say about this topic?

A: Sikhism is an individual religion formed by God through Sikh Guru.

God sent Guru Nanak Dev Ji to the this world in order to enlighten Hindus and Muslims that they are merely fighting with each other and were performing unnecessary rituals and they were not doing the true worship. God established Sikhism through Guru Nanak and it is completely wrong to consider Sikhism as a part or combination of either Hinduism or Islam. Sikhism does not take any ritual or beliefs from either Islam or Hinduism.

Guru Nanak considers himself neither Hindu nor Muslim. He did not follow Hindu rituals and nor did he join Islamic law. As commanded by God, Guru Nanak introduced a true faith, whose sole purpose is the love towards God. Guru Nanak denounced both Islamic and Hindu superstitions and told them to worship God instead of considering their religion superior.

Many Hindus and Muslims consider their religion superior but Guru Nanak Dev Ji instructed to focus on meditation of God instead of glorifying a religion. Bhai Gurdas narrates one instance when Hindus and Muslims asked Guru Nanak about was greater among them. “Priest from both Hinduism and Islam got together and began discussing religion. A great fantasy has been created and no one could understand its mystery. They asked Guru Nanak to open and search in his scripture whether Hindu is great or the Muslim. Guru replied that, without good deeds both will have to weep and wail. Only by being a Hindu or a Muslim one cannot get accepted in the kingdom of God. As the color of safflower is impermanent and is washed away in water, likewise the colors of religiosity are also temporary.” (Bhai Gurdas Ji’s Vaars 1). Guru Nanak Himself said, “The Hindu comes to the house of a Hindu. By reading the scriptures, he puts on the sacred thread. He puts on the thread, but does evil deeds. Not by taking baths he will be approved in the Kingdom of God. The Muslim glorifies his own faith. Without following the Guru, he will not be accepted in the Kingdom of God. Only a few people follow even if they are shown the way” (Guru Granth Sahib, 951).

Following are the reasons how Sikhism is different from both Hinduism and Islam:

1. Hindus worship Demi-Gods like Shiva, Bramhma, Krishna, Vishnu, Kali, Durga, Ganesh and others. Sikhism instructs to believe in One Almighty God. “The performance of countless millions of other devotions is not even equal to one devotion to the Name of God” (Guru Granth Sahib, 1163). [ More ... ]

2. Hindus perform idol worship. Sikhism instructs not to perform idol worship and not to worship anyone else besides God. Guru Granth Sahib Ji is Sikhs' Holy Scripture. Sikhs bow their head in the Gurdwara to Guru Granth Sahib as a sign of respect but Sikhs do not worship the scriptures. Guru Ji is the spiritual teacher of Sikhs and shows the way to meet God. Guru Nanak instructs that idol worship will not lead one to salvation. [ More ... ]

3. Hindus practice caste system. Hindu society is divided into four basic caste clusters. People are ranked according to their caste and are considered either superior or inferior. Sikhism instructs to consider all humans equal regardless of caste, color, race, class and gender. [ More ... ]

4. Muslims believe in polygamy and they even marry their cousins. By Islamic law Muslims can have up to four wives. Guru Nanak Dev Ji completely denounced these activities and instructed to be wedded to one person only.

5. Muslims indulge in animal sacrifices and Guru Nanak told them that this would not bring any good. Killing God’s creations in the Name of God is totally ironic. [ More ... ]

6. Muslims do not give women equal status. However, Sikhism instructs to give women equal status. [ More ... ]

7. Muslims makes fast and consider the month of Ramadan holy. Sikhism instructs that making your body suffer will not help you to meet God. Sikhism tells that meditation of God is above all.

8. Both Hindus and Muslims cut their hair. Sikhs however do not cut their hair as a respect towards God and live the way God made us. [ More ... ]

9. Both Hindus and Muslims consider their religion superior. Guru Nanak Dev Ji instructed to focus on meditation of God instead of glorifying a religion. To the Muslims Guru Nanak says, “The Muslims praise the Islamic law; they read and reflect upon it but God’s bound servants are those who bind themselves to see God” (Guru Granth Sahib, 465).

10. Both Hindus and Muslim make pilgrimages. Sikhism instructs to search for God inside your heart. One does not need to go to Pilgrimages in order to be close to God. In addition, Sikhism instructs that taking bath at pilgrimages do not wash sins. Bathing at Ganga, and Triveni does not clean your soul. The only way to clean your soul is to meditate on God. [ More ... ]

11. Moreover, Sikhism instructs the purpose of life. The purpose of this life is to become one with God, to merge in the One whom we originated from. [ More ... ]

12. Finally, Sikhism shows the way to attain salvation and become One with God. Sikhism says that you do not have to fast, abstain, go on renunciation or enter a monastery in order to meet God. All you have to do is have faith, recite the Name of God and remember Him for each possible moment. Guru Ji themselves got married and lived a family life and showed everyone that you can meet God while living a family life. Furthermore, Guru Ji said that your mind has to be detached from this world, you have to look this world as a temporary place, you will not be here forever, one day you will have to die. What you do while you are alive is critical, so make your decisions wisely. Furthermore, you do not have to detach yourself from this world physically, you can lead a normal family life and still be able to meet God. [ More ... ]

Guru Nanak Dev Ji laid the foundation of Sikhism as instructed by God. The next nine Guru sent to this world by God, strengthened the roots of Sikhism and enlightened people to meditate on One God only. Many people found the true meaning of Sikhism and those who did join and embraced Sikhism with love. Sikhism tells everyone to get rid of egotism, anger, greed, and materialistic things. Sikhism tells everyone to live a humble life and worship God. God sees all and your worship will be fruitful with time.

It is completely ridiculous to consider Sikhism a sect of any other religion. Just like you wouldn’t consider Christianity a sect of Buddhism, you should not consider Sikhism a sect of either Islam or Hinduism or a combination of both.

http://www.realsikhism.com/faq/combination.html

bint_muhammed
06-27-2006, 12:53 PM
actually get your facts straight- islam does give women equal status!
how come sikh women cut their hair, and do they not shave!

Mohsin
06-27-2006, 05:20 PM
LOL ;D

AvarAllahNoor
06-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Apologies for my quote!

What has shaving got to do with anything?:?

AvarAllahNoor
06-29-2006, 11:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by truthseeker666
AAN

Its tough for them to understand the meaning of equality..

For them only representative equality is equality..

Dear ya_giney

[BANANA]why do not muslim men also wear a Hijab and burqa ????[/BANANA]
How do you know they don't? You can't tell who's underneath the burka! :rollseyes

bint_muhammed
06-30-2006, 01:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Apologies for my quote!

What has shaving got to do with anything?:?
above you mentioned you dont cut your hair coz natural etc. however i was curious if sikh women shave or not as thats removing hair!:?

bint_muhammed
06-30-2006, 01:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
How do you know they don't? You can't tell who's underneath the burka! :rollseyes

the reason as you may have noticed that men and women are physically different! a women nomatter who argues is physically weaker than a man, therfore having the burqua and hijab gives her protection, and keeps her modesty. also a lot of sikh women wear the headscarf why is that? (dont deny it i've seen many myself)

peace

AvarAllahNoor
06-30-2006, 07:07 PM
the reason as you may have noticed that men and women are physically different! a women nomatter who argues is physically weaker than a man, therfore having the burqua and hijab gives her protection, and keeps her modesty. also a lot of sikh women wear the headscarf why is that? (dont deny it i've seen many myself)

peace
It's the opposite in Sikhi, she does not require 'protection' of any sort. Some wear Dastaar (Turbans) Some where the Keski. It's to keep the hair tidy.

AvarAllahNoor
06-30-2006, 07:09 PM
above you mentioned you dont cut your hair coz natural etc. however i was curious if sikh women shave or not as thats removing hair!:?
Some orthodox sikh women do not remove hair!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.