/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Indian minister seeks to unite Muslim parties

sonz
06-21-2006, 06:08 PM
A former minister in the north Indian state of Uttar Pradesh wants to unite different Muslim political groups under a common banner, a move that could pose a threat to other political parties preparing for the upcoming elections, Daily India.com reported.

Former civil aviation minister, C.M. Ibrahim said that his aim is to bring together senior Muslim clerics and unite different Islamic groups.

He expressed his willingness to mediate between Shahi Imam Ahmed Bukhari of Delhi's Jama Masjid and Lucknow-based prominent Shia cleric Maulana Kalbe Jawaad, who both set up their political outfits in Uttar Pradesh last month.

Bukhari formed an Uttar Pradesh United Democratic Front (UPUDF) shortly after Jawaad set up his People's Democratic Front. But the two failed to unite their groups under a common banner, mainly due to Bukhari’s reluctance to accept Jawaad as head of the organization.

“I am hopeful that both leaders will realize the need for unity. My aim is not limited to bringing just the two of them together, but to bring various Muslim organizations under a common banner”, Ibrahim told IANS.

Ibrahim also met senior members of the All India Muslim Personal Law Board. He plants to meet influential retired Muslim and Dalit bureaucrats to persuade them to join his proposed political outfit.

“My effort will also be to bring in Dalits and other oppressed classes under one banner,” he said.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lavikor201
06-21-2006, 11:11 PM
Do Muslims hold signifigant political power in India?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.