/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hijab to be banned in Oslo’s schools

sonz
06-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Joining a number of European states, the Norwegian government plans to ban female Muslim students from wearing the Islamic headscarf, or Hijab, in Oslo’s public schools, All Headline News reported.

Lawyers of the Norwegian ministry of Education told Oslo’s city council that the Hijab ban wouldn’t be illegal under the country’s laws.

According to Reuters, Oslo wants to ban female Muslim teachers from wearing the Burqa or Niqab, which covers the whole body and the face, claiming that teachers cannot do their job properly without seeing their students.

"We will introduce a ban after the summer holidays at the end of August,” said Toerger Odegaard, the head of the city’s education department.

The news sparked Muslim anger in Norway, where many Muslims of Pakistani and Somali origin live, mainly in Oslo.

Muslim leaders argue that the Hijab ban violates women’s rights and restricts their personal freedoms.

"We have been having a discussion about whether you should wear the Niqab or not, but making laws which ban it is just going too far," said Fakhra Salimi, the head of MiRA a partly state-sponsored group that helps female immigrants in Norway.

She added that women over the age of 16 should be free to decide whether to wear the Niqab or not.

The Hijab is meant to protect Muslim women from the eyes of men outside her family. It has been the subject of heated debate in several European countries for more than a decade.

In 2004, a Hijab ban was enforced on all female Muslim teachers and students in all state schools in France, where Muslims make up about 8% of the population.

In Germany, home to about 5 million Muslims, eight states banned public school teachers from wearing the Islamic headscarf. And in the capital, Berlin, all civil servants are banned from wearing the Hijab.

Last December, the Dutch parliament voted to ban Burqas, which are already banned in the Belgian town of Maaseik.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ayesha Rana
06-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Here's another example of limited freedom.

Ghazi
06-22-2006, 03:01 PM
:sl:

The sisters should consider Hijra and find teaching jobs in muslim countries.

lavikor201
06-22-2006, 03:41 PM
That is pretty bad.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Vishnu
06-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Can we get a link... you never provide one when you post articles.

amirah_87
06-22-2006, 10:21 PM
That S**ks

Bittersteel
lol ...this maybe true.
banning the Niqab is okay,not the hijab altogether.

afriend
Isn't this against their rights?

Also, what are they gonna do if they do wear the niqaab? Are they gonna get thrown into prison? ;D Yeah right!

afriend
06-22-2006, 10:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
Sonz's fav site is the Christain Science Monitor :giggling:
LOL!!!

:D that was funny! Really?

Bittersteel
06-22-2006, 10:27 PM
I actually don't care.But if these uh ,Europeans come to my country and tell our women to do this ,I will simply call the RAB and send them to them to the next domension. :giggle:

Pk_#2
06-22-2006, 10:27 PM
AsalamuAlaykum, so sad...

sista's shud gang up on em ppl dat banning it..am sho ders enuff of us...

Make du'a (supplications) ppl :)

Awww i really feel sorry for them...wouldn't wana take my hijaab off...i'd rather leave the country..if possible of course !

afriend
06-22-2006, 10:34 PM
If you can't practice your religion, then you should migrate from there, look at RasoolAllah(SAW) and the Muhaajireen(RA), they left everything behind....Atleast you have a chance to take all your belongings with you :)

Pk_#2
06-22-2006, 10:37 PM
so true ...

But i duno if i would leave straight away...i mean you have this certain attachment to your birthplace...

Panatella
06-23-2006, 03:37 AM
These bans are typically on all religious symbolism, not just targeting muslims. People are always free to emmigrate to a country that allows them thier symbols.

format_quote Originally Posted by tasmiyah_B
AsalamuAlaykum, so sad...

sista's shud gang up on em ppl dat banning it..am sho ders enuff of us...

Make du'a (supplications) ppl :)
You know, you really shouldn't mumble.

snakelegs
06-23-2006, 06:05 AM
this is just the latest step of the anti-muslim backlash that is growing in europe.
i disagree with it, but am not surprised.

Malaikah
06-23-2006, 06:13 AM
^^ true

it just makes me :grumbling :rant: :heated:

and to think it was suggested by some goverment ppl here in australia too sheesh, there was quite a bit of opposition to it though alhamdulilah

Panatella
06-23-2006, 06:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese
^^ true

it just makes me :grumbling :rant: :heated:

and to think it was suggested by some goverment ppl here in australia too sheesh, there was quite a bit of opposition to it though alhamdulilah
How do you feel about a christians cross or a sikhs kirpan(knife) being banned from schools?

Malaikah
06-23-2006, 06:52 AM

knife?? that might be understandable:rollseyes cross- how hard is it to tuck it under ones jumper? its all wrong but you know what the focus is mainly on muslim women.

No one is effected by it as much as the muslim females, because hijab isnt just a symbol like the cross, is the cross even compolsury? the hijab is compulsory, so its different. Also, i think it effects jewish men too apparently they have to cover their heads and thats why they wear skull caps.

Why did you even ask me that question, i didnt say anything in my post indicating that religious symbols should be banned (note: hijab is not meant to be a symbol):-\

dianputri
06-23-2006, 07:21 AM
well,,,i guess i cannot go to oslo then,,

beside,,,i dont like to visit a munafiq country,,,,:)

a country always shout "no racism" !!! but they are racists !...:P

Panatella
06-23-2006, 07:22 AM

knife?? that might be understandable:rollseyes cross- how hard is it to tuck it under ones jumper? its all wrong but you know what the focus is mainly on muslim women.

No one is effected by it as much as the muslim females, because hijab isnt just a symbol like the cross, is the cross even compolsury? the hijab is compulsory, so its different. Also, i think it effects jewish men too apparently they have to cover their heads and thats why they wear skull caps.

Why did you even ask me that question, i didnt say anything in my post indicating that religious symbols should be banned (note: hijab is not meant to be a symbol):-\
but you know what the focus is mainly on muslim women.
False. The intent of the law is separation of ALL religion from state.

knife?? that might be understandable
Really? Why not ask a devout sikh that goes nowhere without his kirpan, and feels it his religious obligation by his faith to carry it?

Why did you even ask me that question, i didnt say anything in my post indicating that religious symbols should be banned
The point is, the law intends to cover all things/dress that identify with a religion(in some of the countries). Why do you want to feel that muslims are the only victims? Ask the sikh men that are asked to remove thier turbans. Some muslims have this chronic habit of identifying 'muslims' as the only victims in situations. A law is made to target 'only muslims'. It is 'an attack on islam'. Most times you will find that many others are affected as well. In most situations where the hijab has been banned, so has the sikh turban, christian cross and all other religious items.

Malaikah
06-23-2006, 07:27 AM
Really? Why not ask a devout sikh that goes nowhere without his kirpan, and feels it his religious obligation by his faith to carry it?
There would be a logical reason to ban carrying knives at school. It doesnt take a genious to identify the dangers associated with knives. I cant imagine killing someone with a hijab or skull cap or a small cross on a necklace.

Most times you will find that many others are affected as well. In most situations where the hijab has been banned, so has the sikh turban and all other religious items.
In my country the discussion was only ever on Muslims and hijab.

snakelegs
06-23-2006, 07:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Panatella
False. The intent of the law is separation of ALL religion from state.
yeah, i think that's what france said, anyway. but it makes no sense. because in this case it isn't a matter of the state sponsoring or upholding any religion - it is a matter of followers of a religion and their right to to practice their religion, and i don't see this as a violation of secularism at all. if the state put crucifixes in classrooms - that would be a violation of separation of church and state. see the difference?

Panatella
06-23-2006, 07:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
see the difference?
Yes. Point taken.

HeiGou
06-23-2006, 09:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by dianputri
well,,,i guess i cannot go to oslo then,,

beside,,,i dont like to visit a munafiq country,,,,:)

a country always shout "no racism" !!! but they are racists !...:P
Umm, how can Oslo be in a munafiq country? Wouldn't Norway have to be a Muslim country before it could be a munafiq one? Don't you, in fact, live in a munafiq country already?

More to the point the ban is not on hijab, but on niqaab. To quote,

Torger Oedegaard, Oslo city councillor for schools and education, said: "We are not forbidding religious garments. One must distinguish between the religious hijab and the completely covering niqab. The latter makes it impossible to have good communication between teacher and student, and between students as well."

Exactly how is a ban on niqaab, or even hijab, racist? There is no race in Islam, no?

AvarAllahNoor
06-23-2006, 12:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Panatella
These bans are typically on all religious symbolism, not just targeting muslims. People are always free to emmigrate to a country that allows them thier symbols.
Even turbans sikh metal bracelet & the Kirpan (sword) ?

KAding
06-23-2006, 02:39 PM
So, we are not actually talking about the Hijab, right? This is about the Niqab and Burkas, no? Only the latter have been banned?

In that case, I have no problem with this decision.

IceQueen~
06-23-2006, 02:42 PM
if they call making filthy cartoons of extremely beloved and respected people freedom of speech which they claim is part of human rights-then isn't the freedom of choice in what you wear part of human rights!!!!!?

Panatella
06-23-2006, 11:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Marya1
if they call making filthy cartoons of extremely beloved and respected people freedom of speech which they claim is part of human rights-then isn't the freedom of choice in what you wear part of human rights!!!!!?
The leaders of a country are free to run it how they please, and typically the wishes of the majority rule. If the people that live there are not happy with the wishes of the majority, they are always free to move to a country that embraces the values that they hold dear.
I am not always happy with the majority decision where I live. Up to this point I have not felt strongly enough to leave.

Umm Yoosuf
06-23-2006, 11:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
So, we are not actually talking about the Hijab, right? This is about the Niqab and Burkas, no? Only the latter have been banned?

In that case, I have no problem with this decision.
You may not but whole load of muslim women who wear it do. May I ask you expand on your statement here:

In that case, I have no problem with this decision

KAding
06-24-2006, 06:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah
You may not but whole load of muslim women who wear it do. May I ask you expand on your statement here:
Yeah, I do guess I have some explaining to do on that :). To be honest, I don't really support a ban on Burka's and Niqab's in school either, but I can understand why teachers would prefer it.

Firstly, we are not dealing with 'women', but with 'girls'. Girls who are not yet adult. Why don't they decide on stuff like this when they reach adulthood?

Secondly, the Niqab isn't even a requirement from all I've read, so I think it's hard to accept on religious grounds, considering the fact that virtually all schools have some dresscode.

Thirdly, I can certainly imagine it being a problem in the classroom. It's completely impossible for a teacher to figure out what emotional state the student is in. Surely, to be able to teach properly one must be able to see how a student reacts to a question, whether she can handle the subject. It will also become very hard to detect emotional problems, since the student can simply hide behind her dress. I think it will reduce the quality of education, since it simply reduces the quality of communiation between the student and the class/teacher. I don't think it's a good idea either to so completely seperate the student from the rest of the class, since she is virtually guaranteed to become isolated socially. As a Muslim, maybe you think the latter is a good thing, but for me it seems an unhealthy thing to do, since we are dealing with non-adults here. If they want to isolate themselves when they are adult, fine, that is their decision, but I believe it can be damaging to the development of a child.

Panatella
06-24-2006, 05:05 PM
There would be a logical reason to ban carrying knives at school. It doesnt take a genious to identify the dangers associated with knives. I cant imagine killing someone with a hijab or skull cap or a small cross on a necklace.
To some devout sikh, this kirpan is every bit as important to them as your hijab is to you. What would give you or anyone else the right to say it is not important enough to allow? Why is his religious obligation not as important as yours?
How about burkas? Many argue that burkas are a security risk. Identities and weapons can be hidden. It could be said that no burkas or kirpans. Same, or not?

Umm Yoosuf
06-24-2006, 08:49 PM
Hi KAding

Firstly, we are not dealing with 'women', but with 'girls'. Girls who are not yet adult. Why don't they decide on stuff like this when they reach adulthood?
In Islam, as soon as puberty starts one is recognized and considered an adult. It does not matter what age you are. Thus, one has to start applying the Shari’ah in his/her life.

Allah says in the Quran:

“The only saying of the faithful believers, when they are called to Allah (His Words, the Qur’an) and His Messenger, to judge between them, is that they say: “We hear and we obey.” And such are the successful (who will live forever in Paradise). And whoever obeys Allah and His Messenger, fears Allah, and keeps his duty (to Him), such are the successful.” [Qur’an, Surah Noor, 51-52]

Please refer to this link to general understanding of regarding puberty in Islam. http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamen...n/fast_21.html

From many of the articles I read in newspapers “the issue” of ruling out the Hijab is not in elementary schools or even primary schools but mostly in secondary schools and universities.

Secondly, the Niqab isn't even a requirement from all I've read, so I think it's hard to accept on religious grounds, considering the fact that virtually all schools have some dresscode.
If it was not considered a requirement then why do some women bother to wear it all?

The issue of niqab is not agreed upon in Islam. Some scholars view it as obligatory while there is a large group of scholars that maintain that it is simply a voluntary (sunnah) act, not obligatory.

Please see: http://www.islamicboard.com/103841-post57.html

Thirdly, I can certainly imagine it being a problem in the classroom. It's completely impossible for a teacher to figure out what emotional state the student is in. Surely, to be able to teach properly one must be able to see how a student reacts to a question, whether she can handle the subject. It will also become very hard to detect emotional problems, since the student can simply hide behind her dress. I think it will reduce the quality of education, since it simply reduces the quality of communiation between the student and the class/teacher. I don't think it's a good idea either to so completely seperate the student from the rest of the class, since she is virtually guaranteed to become isolated socially. As a Muslim, maybe you think the latter is a good thing, but for me it seems an unhealthy thing to do, since we are dealing with non-adults here. If they want to isolate themselves when they are adult, fine, that is their decision, but I believe it can be damaging to the development of a child.
Yeah sure, a teacher should interact with her/his students. How does the niqab cause any barrier? I do not think it causes any communication barrier. If a teacher wants to test the understanding of her/his student then simply they can ask question. In addition, the teacher give end of unite exams. It is a good way to test the ability and understanding of the student. I don’t understand the issue with the Niqab.

firdaw
06-25-2006, 12:05 AM
Don't they have the freedom of religion like Americans here, Thats just wrong to interfear with peoples religions i mean how would you feel if someone made you become a christen or a jaw they be total wrong right, thats is the most wrongest thing to do to someone is to tell them what not wear.

firdaw
06-25-2006, 12:07 AM
I recomanded the people who live in Europe to start a strike about the freedom of religion and how wrong it is to tell people what to wear, so to those who live in europe i recomanded you guys to do something for your religion, because those kaffirs want you to go to hell and if you love your religion you fight and do something about, but otherwise if you are scared you are not going to do something.

dianputri
06-26-2006, 07:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
Umm, how can Oslo be in a munafiq country? Wouldn't Norway have to be a Muslim country before it could be a munafiq one? Don't you, in fact, live in a munafiq country already?

More to the point the ban is not on hijab, but on niqaab. To quote,

Torger Oedegaard, Oslo city councillor for schools and education, said: "We are not forbidding religious garments. One must distinguish between the religious hijab and the completely covering niqab. The latter makes it impossible to have good communication between teacher and student, and between students as well."

Exactly how is a ban on niqaab, or even hijab, racist? There is no race in Islam, no?
really ?

ok,,i accept for my country fro being munafiq. but,,,my country is still allow women to wear hijab. Also,,,the most munafiq country such us america still allow muslim woman to wear hijab too.

so,,pardon me about munafiq country for oslo. perhaps i have to say,,,,

THe most of the most munafiq country is oslo, which is not allow women / gals wear hijab.

yes, you are right. islam does not know race or racism. what i wrote is mean that islam never teach racist. non muslim does,,,

example : white and black.

you see,, many black are muslim. dont u wanna know why ?

peace
salam

searchingsoul
07-08-2006, 04:46 AM

Maybe the female Muslims who choose not to wear the hijab are adding to the confusion in the West. Since a large amount of Muslim women do not wear the hijab it is understandable why non-Muslims would think that it was symbolic opposed to mandatory.

Woodrow
07-08-2006, 04:57 AM
Maybe the female Muslims who choose not to wear the hijab are adding to the confusion in the West. Since a large amount of Muslim women do not wear the hijab it is understandable why non-Muslims would think that it was symbolic opposed to mandatory.
Very good point, How can we expect to convince non-Muslims that the Hijab is part of our religion, when we do not seem to consider it important among ourselves?

GARY
07-08-2006, 06:21 PM
The women that don't wear the hijab are causing division among muslims and confusion about islam. They are harming the ummah, perhaps they need to be punished.

Woodrow
07-08-2006, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GARY
The women that don't wear the hijab are causing division among muslims and confusion about islam. They are harming the ummah, perhaps they need to be punished.
Although most Muslims are in agreement that the Hijab is an important part of our religion. It is not permissable to force a woman to wear it.

There is no compulsion in religion. A person must choose to follow it under their own free will. We can not judge an individuals reason for wearing or not wearing the Hijab. However we can state that we feel that by not wearing it, a person is demeaning our beliefs. We can also pray that the woman will be guided to do what is expected. However, we can not place any compolsion on what is done or not done. It is of no value unless it is out of Love and true obedience to Allah(swt)

Malaikah
07-09-2006, 02:00 AM
And while thats happening, what are we to do with all the so called Muslim leaders who are committing crimes 50 times worse than these women and destroying the ummah? Nothing can be done on a large scale until a real Islamic state with real leadership is established.

Their punishment will be with God for the time being.

GARY
07-09-2006, 02:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
There is no compulsion in religion. A person must choose to follow it under their own free will.
Then why do some muslims persecute and even kill shia muslims for not following islam the same way they do?

Mohsin
07-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Then why do some muslims persecute and even kill shia muslims for not following islam the same way they do?

Ignorance most probably. You shouldn't judge Islam on what some followers do

searchingsoul
07-09-2006, 10:45 AM

I don't think that they need to be punished in a way such as death or physical harm. Excommunication from Islam perhaps.

When I first read the statement from Gary I was shocked. I thought about it and began thinking that non-muslims were being "punished" due to their lack of understanding about the hijab. In reality the issue needs to first be addressed with muslims before it's addressed with non-muslims.

Malaikah
07-09-2006, 10:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by searchingsoul
In reality the issue needs to first be addressed with muslims before it's addressed with non-muslims.
THAT IS SOOOOOOO TRUE!!

so much corruption these days *sigh* it will get better one day inshaallah (and im not just hoping either, we were taught by the prophet that islam really will take over one day)

HeiGou
07-09-2006, 01:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mohsin
Ignorance most probably. You shouldn't judge Islam on what some followers do
Why not? Realistically I am never going to see what Islam ought to be in my lifetime. I am only going to to see what Muslims are. You offer me Islam, but really what you are offering is the chance to be a Muslim.

On that basis the reality is far more important than the ideal. Why shouldn't Muslims be judged on what they are as opposed to what they should but are not and probably can never be?

Now does this relate to the thread topic? Not really. Some Muslims wear hijab but others think it does not go far enough. A few think it goes too far. I cannot judge either way. I have to rely on what Muslims tell me Islam is. Hence the important of what Muslims are, not what Islam ought to be. If the Oslo authorities want to ban the niqaab that is not fair to some, I think, but it is not such a great crime in the global scheme of things.

Mohsin
07-09-2006, 09:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
Why not? Realistically I am never going to see what Islam ought to be in my lifetime. I am only going to to see what Muslims are. You offer me Islam, but really what you are offering is the chance to be a Muslim.

On that basis the reality is far more important than the ideal. Why shouldn't Muslims be judged on what they are as opposed to what they should but are not and probably can never be?

Now does this relate to the thread topic? Not really. Some Muslims wear hijab but others think it does not go far enough. A few think it goes too far. I cannot judge either way. I have to rely on what Muslims tell me Islam is. Hence the important of what Muslims are, not what Islam ought to be. If the Oslo authorities want to ban the niqaab that is not fair to some, I think, but it is not such a great crime in the global scheme of things.

I said on what some muslims do. If majority of muslims condoned or carried out these acts then i understand why people would react in such a way, bit if only a few people do it then its only logical that you can't say this is what islam teaches

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.