/* */

PDA

View Full Version : British government snubs Muslim task force

sonz
06-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Top Muslim leaders in the United Kingdom criticize the government for failing to implement or even consider several recommendations proposed by the Muslim task force formed after the July 7 attacks on London, The Times Online reported.

Prime Minister Tony Blair set up the Muslim task force after the London bombings, saying that Muslim leaders were the best to tackle the “radicalism” of young people.

More than 1,000 Muslim clerics and Imams held several meetings during the autumn, and came up with practical ways to tackle extremism.

However, only one of the 64 proposals made by the task force in its final report last November has been fully implemented. This recommendation called for allowing top Islamic scholars to tour Britain to explain to young Muslims the true teachings of Islam.

There has been some progress on a second proposal that involved setting up an organization to clarify misconceptions about Islam and Muslims.

But task force members say that the government shelved the rest of the recommendations, with no timetable or funding for their implementation.

One of the most crucial proposals snubbed by the government called for the establishment of a national advisory council for all mosques and imams. This idea was dismissed by the Home Office after a row over its independence from the British government. However, task force members say that the advisory council is so important that they will try to set it up themselves.

The task force also wanted to set up a Muslim-run media affairs rapid rebuttal unit and an Islamic website to counter Islamophobia and correct negative views of Islam in schools. But this initiative has also been ignored.

Sadiq Khan, the Labour MP for Tooting, who participated in the policing group on the task force, told The Times how disappointed he and his colleagues felt.

“They walked us up to the top of the hill and now they are walking us down again,” he said. “What tangible progress has been made after all these months?

”The Muslims on the task force are among the brightest and ablest in Britain, who gave many hours of their time to come up with the very best ideas on integration and tackling extremism. Now they are coming up to MPs like me and asking what is going on.”

Another task force member, Ibrahim Mogra, chairman of the Muslim Council of Britain’s mosque and community affairs committee, said that the British government embarrassed the task force in front of the Muslim community, who are now skeptical about future co-operation.

“When we engage with Government we do so on behalf of our communities and they expect to see the results of our engagement,” he said. “Because they have not seen any progress they now feel it is pointless to engage with Government, that Government only uses us so that it looks like. It is becoming exceptionally difficult for us in terms of our relationship and accountability to our communities.”

Meanwhile, Trevor Phillips, head of the Commission for Racial Equality, warned police that they risked alienating the Muslim community while they need its help, referring to this month's raid on a London house of two Muslim brothers, in which one of the men was shot.

“Every time an operation like this goes wrong, it further alienates communities who want to help in the fight against terrorism,” he said in a speech to the Social Policy Forum.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ghazi
06-22-2006, 03:06 PM
:sl:

One of the most crucial proposals snubbed by the government called for the establishment of a national advisory council for all mosques and imams.
That's the most stupidest thing I ever heard I presume what they had in mind was for kufar to over see things right?

Vishnu
06-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Can we get a link?

Joe98
06-22-2006, 10:59 PM
Some British Muslims don’t properly understand Islam. They became suicide bombers in the name of Islam.

They were under the belief they were doing the right thing by Islam. They were mistaken

The idea was to educate Muslims, to properly understand Islam, so it would not happen again.

format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
Prime Minister Tony Blair set up the Muslim task force after the London bombings, saying that Muslim leaders were the best to tackle the “radicalism” of young people.
Excellent!

More than 1,000 Muslim clerics and Imams…..came up with practical ways to tackle extremism.

….only one of the 64 proposals…. has been fully implemented. This recommendation called for allowing top Islamic scholars to tour Britain to explain to young Muslims the true teachings of Islam.

Good so far…..

…a second proposal ….setting up an organization to clarify misconceptions about Islam and Muslims.

I see. This is directed at non Muslims. How does this stop Muslims blowing up buses?

..and an Islamic website to counter Islamophobia and correct negative views of Islam in schools. But this initiative has also been ignored.

Hello? This is not directed at Muslims either. If I learn Muslims are peaceful, how does this knowledge stop Muslims blowing up buses?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
wilberhum
06-22-2006, 11:22 PM
Sonz
British government snubs Muslim task force
Please provide link

Wilber

Panatella
06-23-2006, 03:29 AM
The point was to counter extremism. Not to counter islamophobia. Just because someone gives suggestions, it does not mean you have to use them. If they insist, it is not a suggestion, but a demand.
So, they used one proposal, and threw out 63. That means only one idea was good, and relevent to the topic. The other 63 ideas were irrelevent, or bad ideas.

lavikor201
06-23-2006, 03:33 AM
:skeleton: Still waiting for the link....

HeiGou
06-23-2006, 11:27 AM
More than 1,000 Muslim clerics and Imams held several meetings during the autumn, and came up with practical ways to tackle extremism.
Tackle extremism? This was not so much a shame as an outrage. The example of what should have been done can be seen in Canada where Muslim leaders came out and denounced terrorism. What did British Imams do? Well not tackle terorrism.

However, only one of the 64 proposals made by the task force in its final report last November has been fully implemented. This recommendation called for allowing top Islamic scholars to tour Britain to explain to young Muslims the true teachings of Islam.
Which is fine. But it is not really "tackling" terrorism. It is Dawa within the Muslim community. Let's be generous and say this might be postive. Half marks.

There has been some progress on a second proposal that involved setting up an organization to clarify misconceptions about Islam and Muslims.
Misconceptions about Islam and Muslims....held by Muslims perhaps? Of course not. What they wanted was to exploit the 7-7 deaths for the purpose of Dawa and making converts in the kafir communities. Zero marks as far as tackling terror goes.

One of the most crucial proposals snubbed by the government called for the establishment of a national advisory council for all mosques and imams. This idea was dismissed by the Home Office after a row over its independence from the British government.
Ahh I see. The Imams wanted state-funding, but no state-oversight. Jobs for the boys in fact. Tackling terrorism? Zero marks.

The task force also wanted to set up a Muslim-run media affairs rapid rebuttal unit and an Islamic website to counter Islamophobia and correct negative views of Islam in schools. But this initiative has also been ignored.
I loved that one. A Muslim-run media affairs rapid rebuttal unit and an Islamic website to counter Islamophobia and correct negative views of Islam in schools? What would the Muslim-run media affairs rapid rebuttal unit actually do? Well nothing for terrorism. Clearly Dawa again. A Website to counter Islamophobia? What would that do to tackle terrorism? Again clearly nothing. Dawa again. Correct negative views of Islam in schools - you mean Muslim schools? Well obviously not. Dawa again. Zero marks.

In short of all their proposals I have seen we can give half marks to one of them because it might be aimed at doing something useful. Or it might not. The rest show the limits of engagement with the British Muslim community - it is pointless because they are just not interested. Give them a clear mandate to tackle terrorism and all they want to tackle is the existence of kafirs in Britain. It is time to end the charade. The Muslim leadership is not interested in co-operation in Britain. The government ought to stop trying. The only solution is a police solution.

wilberhum
06-23-2006, 07:10 PM
I ask for the link because I assumed that the title of the article was changed to reflect the poster’s attitude and not that of the author. Since no link has been provided and I can not find it on Times Online, I think my assumptions were correct.
The tone of the article is set with the assumption that the British government should enact each and every recommendation they presented. That seams a little egotistical to me.

But why did they need governmental permission to allowing top Islamic scholars to tour Britain to explain to young Muslims the true teachings of Islam? The only answer I can come up with it that they expected the government to pay there way. That doesn’t mean I’m right but there would be no governmental restrictions stopping them from doing that on there own. If I’m right, I have a problem with any government paying for the teaching of any religion. I strongly believe in separation of church and state.

One of the most crucial proposals snubbed by the government called for the establishment of a national advisory council for all mosques and imams. That begs the question, is there a national advisory counsel for all churches and ministers? Is there one for the Buddhists and another for the Hindus? I don’t know the answer, but I suspect that there isn’t. They may have presumed that the community at large would share the attitude of Islam-truth. “That's the most stupidest thing I ever heard I presume what they had in mind was for kufar to over see things right?”
Then “This idea was dismissed by the Home Office after a row over its independence from the British government”. Kind of sounds like they wanted the government to pay for it but have no control over it. Now, if they are going to foot the bill, I would conceder it mandatory for the government to have some control.
The task force also wanted to set up a Muslim-run media affairs rapid rebuttal unit and an Islamic website to counter Islamophobia and correct negative views of Islam in schools. Again, I must assume that they expected the government to pay for all of this. Is there a similar setup for anti-Semitism? Why is this only needed where Islam is involved?

It seams to me the best way to stop Islamophobia is for the peace loving Islamic scholars to expose those Imams that teach violent jihad. But I understand it is very un-Islamic to expose a brother.
In order to find a solution for something is to start with the source. This is not a problem with the Jews, Christians, Hindus, or Buddhists in the UK. So it is obviously a problem with the way Islam it taught. It is an Islamic problem and Muslims themselves are the only non-violent solution. Even on this forum you see Muslims praising and glorifying mass murders. Islamophobia is not the result of non-Muslims not understanding Islam. Islamophobia is created by people blowing up other people in the name of the religion.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.