/* */

PDA

View Full Version : UK Rocker Wants Israeli Separation Wall Down

sonz
06-24-2006, 06:49 AM
OCCUPIED JERUSALEM — Celebrated British artist and former Pink Floyd frontman Roger Waters on Thursday, June 22, opened salvos against the Israeli separation wall in the occupied West Bank, sending a strong message of peace loud and clear.

"I believe we need this generation of Israelis to tear down the walls and make peace with their neighbors," the veteran British rocker told a crowd of around 50,000 fans in the mixed Arab-Jewish town of Neveh Shalom, reported Agence France-Presse (AFP).

The veteran musician enjoys a strong following in the region where Pink Floyd's 1979 hit Another Brick in the Wall has become an anthem of resistance to the separation barrier Israel is building across the West Bank.

The 700km-long Israeli separation barrier is a mix of electronic fences and concrete walls that will eventually snake some 900 kilometers (540 miles) along the West Bank and leave even larger swathes of its territory on the Israeli side.

The wall has resulted in the confiscation of 11,4000 dunums (2,850 acres - 1,140 hectares) of privately-owned Palestinian land and in the destruction of 102,320 trees, according to a UN report.

It estimated that with the competition of the wall, 30 percent of the West Bank population, or some 680,000 people, will be "directly harmed".

After the International Court of Justice issued a landmark ruling branding the wall as illegal, the UN General Assembly asked Israel to tear it down and compensate the Palestinians affected.

Wall Down

"It may be a lot harder to get this one down but eventually it must happen otherwise there's no point being human beings," said the celebrated artist.

Prior to the concert, the 63-year-old Waters visited the wall, which the Palestinians see as another Israeli land grab.

He spray-painted the Pink Floyd lyrics "Tear down the wall" on the barrier and signed his initials, alongside graffiti left by hundreds of other international and Israeli anti-wall activists.

"It's a horrific edifice, this thing," Waters told reporters at a section of the barrier in occupied Palestinian city of Bethlehem.

"I've seen pictures of it, I've heard a lot about it but without being here you can't imagine how extraordinarily oppressive it is and how sad it is to see these people coming through these little holes," said the iconic artist.

"It's craziness…It may be a lot harder to get this one down but eventually it must happen otherwise there's no point being human beings," he affirmed.

Waters staged the famous concert "The Wall" along the Berlin wall to celebrate the reunification of Germany.

The British rocker refused to appear in the usual sites for outdoor concerts in Tel Aviv, citing his opposition to Israel's policies toward the Palestinians.

He only agreed to perform in a hastily prepared outdoor venue next to the Jewish-Arab village of Neveh Shalom, near Al-Quds (occupied East Jerusalem), in an expression of support for co-existence between the Palestinians and Israelis.

Dozens of Palestinian artists have written to Waters urging him not to sing in Israel "at a time when Israel continues unabated with its colonial and apartheid designs to further dispossess, oppress and ultimately ethnically cleanse Palestinians from their homeland."

Local fans who are opposed to Israel's separation wall have adapted the lyrics of Another Brick in the Wall to read: "We don't need no occupation. We don't need no racist wall."

In the hours before the performance, cars were backed up for many kilometers in all directions in one of Israel's biggest-ever traffic jams.

Waters split from Pink Floyd in the 1980s but rejoined the band for a one-off Live-8 concert last summer.

He is best known for his illustrious career spanning three decades with Pink Floyd as one of their chief singers, songwriter and bass player.

http://islamonline.net/English/News/2006-06/23/01.shtml

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
KAding
06-24-2006, 07:07 AM
Getting rid of the fence is the worst thing that could happen in the Pal-Israeli conflict. It will lead to an escalation of violence. The only reason why the number of dead Pals has been declining over recent years is the decline in bombings in Israel and the fence plays a major role in that.

Asyur an-Nagi
06-24-2006, 07:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Getting rid of the fence is the worst thing that could happen in the Pal-Israeli conflict. It will lead to an escalation of violence. The only reason why the number of dead Pals has been declining over recent years is the decline in bombings in Israel and the fence plays a major role in that.
duh!

KAding
06-24-2006, 07:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asyur an-Nagi
duh!
What? Does that mean you agree with my brilliant analysis? ;)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
cihad
06-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Actually i think the wall should be pulled down
the wall is a sign of segregation -like the south african apartheid .

Trumble
06-24-2006, 01:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cihad

Agreed. It's purposes are as much as an 'economic' weapon, and to grab land within the West Bank, as as a security measure.

HeiGou
06-24-2006, 02:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cihad
Well it should be moved perhaps. Additional land grabs are wrong. But the Wall has brought some peace. Gaza's is excellent and still working efficiently. When was the last time you heard of a bombing from Gaza?

This is the wave of the future. Oddly enough Martin van Creveld predicted as much. Walls like this are going up in Kashmir, and around Bangladesh, they exist around Spain's enclaves in North Africa, Thailand is building one, even Saudi Arabia is building one not only along the border with Yemen but also Iraq. The future is clear - Muslims in one part of the world, non-Muslims in another and a big Fence running down the middle.

afriend2
06-24-2006, 03:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
Well it should be moved perhaps. Additional land grabs are wrong. But the Wall has brought some peace. Gaza's is excellent and still working efficiently. When was the last time you heard of a bombing from Gaza?

This is the wave of the future. Oddly enough Martin van Creveld predicted as much. Walls like this are going up in Kashmir, and around Bangladesh, they exist around Spain's enclaves in North Africa, Thailand is building one, even Saudi Arabia is building one not only along the border with Yemen but also Iraq. The future is clear - Muslims in one part of the world, non-Muslims in another and a big Fence running down the middle.
salaam,

so does that mean i should build a fence around my house?? keeping in mind i live in the uk!!

this is so silly, people should have manners and morals. the gaza hasnt prevented violence, instead it has been the cause for most of it.

wassalam :peace:

HeiGou
06-24-2006, 03:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nazia
so does that mean i should build a fence around my house?? keeping in mind i live in the uk!!
How about a fence around Bradford? Once Jews had to live in ghettos just so they could be locked in at night. I expect that will not happen in Britain for a while but rather rich people will lock poor people and Muslims out with Gated Communities.

this is so silly, people should have manners and morals. the gaza hasnt prevented violence, instead it has been the cause for most of it.
The fence around Gaza has been highly successful. Muslims have attacked Israelis in Gaza, but they have had trouble getting over or through the fence. It has done nothing to remove the "root causes" or diminish the hatred, but it is roughly 100 percent effective. And everyone else is copying it.

Ninth_Scribe
06-24-2006, 10:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
OCCUPIED JERUSALEM — Celebrated British artist and former Pink Floyd frontman Roger Waters on Thursday, June 22, opened salvos against the Israeli separation wall in the occupied West Bank, sending a strong message of peace loud and clear.
Gotta love Roger Waters! On a more personal note... I HATE that wall. It didn't solve their problems 2500 years ago and it won't solve their problems now.

So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
blue skies from pain.
Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?
And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found? The same old fears.
Wish you were here.

Ninth Scribe

Ninth_Scribe
06-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Don't be rediculous - they're just firing rockets over the damn thing now.

Ninth Scribe

HeiGou
06-25-2006, 10:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ninth_Scribe
Gotta love Roger Waters! On a more personal note... I HATE that wall. It didn't solve their problems 2500 years ago and it won't solve their problems now.
Sorry? Who built a wall 2,500 years ago? You mean whenb David captured the city?

The Wall has reduced the number of suicide bombings enormously. The one around Gaza works even better. Walls work. We need more of them.

KAding
06-25-2006, 12:39 PM

Ninth Scribe
But with little succes. I agree though that the wall itself solves very little. But a de-escalation of the violence can only be described as a good thing.

HeiGou
06-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Poorly-designed home-made rockets which kill almost no one. I think that is an improvement over the suicide bombings of the past.

Just wait until Israel thinks that the Western public will tolerate a more robust response as well. I expect those rockets will stop in the end.

noshaba
06-25-2006, 12:59 PM
they should learn to live in peace....breakin the wall dwn shows their signs of strength! go 4 it INSHALAH they will succeed
:sl:

Panatella
06-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Good fences make better neighbors.

afriend
06-25-2006, 07:06 PM
brap 2 dis guy!

Atleast someone has some sense :thumbs_up

lavikor201
06-25-2006, 08:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Panatella
Good fences make better neighbors.
Great quote.

Asyur an-Nagi
06-26-2006, 07:48 AM
What? Does that mean you agree with my brilliant analysis? ;)
good interpretation;D nah.. i mean we'l never know till we try!

Sis786
06-26-2006, 08:07 AM
I question anything Isreal does to make "Peace"

Asyur an-Nagi
06-26-2006, 08:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sis786
:sl:
ey...no words peace in their dictionary (do they have any dictionary?);D

KAding
06-26-2006, 09:04 AM
Sure they want peace, but on their own terms. Just like Pals ;).

Besides, there is "Peace" and there is "peace". The first assumes peaceful coexistance without a desire to kill eachother, while the latter just means that there is no killing going on. The fence brings us closer to the latter kind of peace, not the former.

Abdul-Raouf
06-26-2006, 09:24 AM
Yeah ur right

Sis786
06-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Sure they want peace, but on their own terms. Just like Pals ;).

Besides, there is "Peace" and there is "peace". The first assumes peaceful coexistance without a desire to kill eachother, while the latter just means that there is no killing going on. The fence brings us closer to the latter kind of peace, not the former.
Hmm maybe but i would disagree, firstly as they refuse to make any kind of contact or agreement with Hamas. Secondly they attack innocnet civilians all the time.

Ninth_Scribe
06-26-2006, 02:25 PM
Sorry? Who built a wall 2,500 years ago? You mean when David captured the city?

The Wall has reduced the number of suicide bombings enormously.
Those walls were raised twice before... and they were brought down... twice before.

I wouldn't rely on the drop in suicide bombings as proof that the problem is solved. That's like saying if you cover up a wound with plastic to stop the bleeding, the problem is solved, while completely ignoring the fact that you are allowing an infection to fester beneath it. Go ahead, and allow the rage to fester, and they'll find a way around that wall. It happened before and it will happen again.

I don't want to weird anyone out here, but this is worse than watching a TV re-run! Nothing new... just alot of 'been-there...done-that'.

Ninth Scribe

Ninth_Scribe
06-26-2006, 02:37 PM
Hmm maybe but i would disagree, firstly as they refuse to make any kind of contact or agreement with Hamas. Secondly they attack innocnet civilians all the time.
Agreed. The sons of Benjamin and Judah have disobeyed their own laws, and if I were them, I would be asking my neighbors what type of atonement would be required of them to end the dispute once and for all, but they seem to think they are above the laws and do not owe their neighbors anything. In truth, they owe every one of them, if for anything, for the very survival of their remnant. Personally, I can't believe they even took the name of Israel for themselves.... considering the fact that they fought Israel in the first place!

Ninth Scribe

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-26-2006, 02:41 PM

That is exactly what you would like, I suppose.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.