/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim leaders condemn terrorism

HeiGou
06-24-2006, 02:07 PM
I think that this is a big step forward. However, can anyone spot what I think is wrong with this statement?

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/5111092.stm

Muslim leaders condemn terrorism
Islamic leaders across Birmingham have issued a joint message against terrorism in a bid to tackle mistrust of Muslims in the UK.

Leaders of the 150 mosques in the city have backed the statement, which comes in response to the police raid in London's Forest Gate this month.

The religious edict makes clear the killing of innocent victims is against the principles of Islam.

It has been welcomed by the chief constable of the West Midlands.

The message is thought to be the first joint statement made by Muslim scholars in the UK against terrorism.

Activities regulated

It states: "That killing of innocent civilians is absolutely forbidden in Islam and anyone who contemplates or commits any such act, does so against the teachings of Islam."

The statement adds action has been taken to regulate the activities of every mosque to ensure worshippers are given a message of "calmness and civic responsibility".

It said the action of the UK Government in Iraq had caused anger in the Muslim community but there is a "resolve to guide the Muslim response in accordance with good citizenship".

Dr Muhammad Naseem, chairman of the Birmingham Central Mosque, said: "There is a perception that Muslims are a source of terrorism.

"Although individuals have made statements against terrorism people still say Muslims aren't denouncing terrorism."

'Positive announcement'

Terrorism is against the teachings of Islam, Dr Naseem explained, saying he was making the leaders' position clear.

"We hope this will improve the understanding between religious communities in the city," he added.

West Midlands chief constable Paul Scott-Lee said: "I am delighted by this positive announcement from our local mosques and fully support what is an important statement for all our communities."

It is planned that similar anti-violence messages from Muslim leaders across other UK cities will be issued as part of the initiative.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ghazi
06-24-2006, 02:10 PM
:sl:

It's sad that they havn't addressed the issue why these people commit such actions until that's resolved I don't see the problem going away.

AvarAllahNoor
06-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Better late than never i suppose!

When these atrocities occured i think they should have made the statments there and then, All other people would have understood then this is not Islam!

HeiGou
06-24-2006, 02:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
It's sad that they havn't addressed the issue why these people commit such actions until that's resolved I don't see the problem going away.
Isn't it interesting I am in total agreement with you. Not only haven't they addressed the issue of why these people commit such actions, they have not taken any steps to resolve that issue either.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ansar Al-'Adl
06-24-2006, 03:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Better late than never i suppose!

When these atrocities occured i think they should have made the statments there and then, All other people would have understood then this is not Islam!
I think you need to see Statements against Terror. Muslim scholars and leaders have been screaming themselves hoarse denouncing terrorism everytime one of these acts occur. It has always been 'there and then'. Take the 7/7 bombinbgs for example; CAIRCAN arranged for 120 Muslim Imams and Scholars from across the country to issue a joint statement of condemnation. It got hardly any media coverage.

Ninth_Scribe
06-24-2006, 05:34 PM

Yes, I agree with this. It would have been nice to have that Council I spoke of... since it offers the means to gain unified agreement on issues - spare the princes all going in different directions to achieve equally different ends... but we're stuck with that.

When I hear Muslim leaders condemn terrorism, I take into account what I call the 'drag' factor. In truth WAR is terrorism and there isn't a single army alive who isn't responsible for the blood of innocents. Nadda - Zip!

But the leaders are affected by the after-math. In their view, OBL dragged them all into this mess by attacking the World Trade Center, so they'll blame him for their current misery. But if I were to reduce his action to words, I would hear him say: "Listen... this is very important to me... and I will be heard and answered!"

That issue was Palestine, and he wasn't the only one on the planet to have a problem with the betrayal. Judging from my own research, he has a pretty solid case, but he either couldn't make it presentable (doubtful) or he had no place in which he could present it. So those leaders drove him over the edge and he found a new way to present that message - in a way it would be heard. The ones who complain now are just as much to blame for their misery... they turned a blind eye to what are so obviously very deep wounds. The people who were affected are still suffering, and to add insult to injury, they were completely abandoned by their neighbors for the sake of convenience. Who'd want to have to deal with the U.S.? Well, you're dealing with it now, aren't you!

Problems like that don't just go away. Killing the messengers won't make it all go away either. Injustice burns that badly and drives people to incredible lengths! What happened in Palestine was a serious Injustice - even by Jewish standards and especially by Jewish law... I have that half of the whole she-bang! What the King of Jordan is doing, by denying a burial, is a serious Injustice also. It doesn't harm Abu Musab... it harms his family and it bothers ME! For that, I justly pray that the king share his eternity with that which is buried in Jordanian soil that he believes is so pure it should not be 'stained'. The result of his decree? I've heard that certain Muslims and Kafirs alike, decided Abu Musab should not be granted a burial because he deprived others of the same. This was never proven, but regardless. The king, in his infinate wisdom, has just demonstrated that extenuating circumstances were able to drive Abu Musab in his actions, since the king himself is now equally driven to reach beyond the known laws. In doing so, he just endorsed the very nature he complains about.

Nice leadership, folks. Is it any wonder why we're in this mess now?

Ninth Scribe

snakelegs
06-24-2006, 07:43 PM
this is probably a dumb question:
did OBL concern himself with palestine? i thought his main thing was to get the americans out of saudi?

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-24-2006, 07:50 PM
When I hear Muslim leaders condemn terrorism, I take into account what I call the 'drag' factor. In truth WAR is terrorism and there isn't a single army alive who isn't responsible for the blood of innocents. Nadda - Zip!
Well said.;)
But I think the problem of terrorism is a complicated one, and it cannot be defeated by just one group of people.
America could start by...ummm.... pulling their soldiers out of every Muslim country that doesn't want them there. And also to stop meddling in everything. They've already labelled the islamic reformists in Somalia as supporters of Al Qaedia. How in the blooming heck did they come to that conclusion so fast? Beats me.
W'salaam

Ghazi
06-24-2006, 07:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm_Shaheed
Well said.;)
But I think the problem of terrorism is a complicated one, and it cannot be defeated by just one group of people.
America could start by...ummm.... pulling their soldiers out of every Muslim country that doesn't want them there. And also to stop meddling in everything. They've already labelled the islamic reformists in Somalia as supporters of Al Qaedia. How in the blooming heck did they come to that conclusion so fast? Beats me.
W'salaam

It's a simple soulution most the ummah know why they do this, is beacuse they see a need for jihad but are corrupted by people with their own agendas if the scholars who are so quick to condem them actually taught these people the ins and outs of jihad then orginised the ummah to expel the enemy no more terrorist attacks or atleast the number or new recurts would go down.

Ninth_Scribe
06-24-2006, 10:15 PM
:sl:if the scholars who are so quick to condemn them actually taught these people the ins and outs of jihad then orginised the ummah to expel the enemy no more terrorist attacks or at least the number or new recurts would go down.
Exactly... loving your words, Islam Truth. It's not too late to turn this around.

Ninth Scribe

Ninth_Scribe
06-24-2006, 10:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i thought his main thing was to get the americans out of saudi?
Well that's what happens when you start from the middle of the story.

Ninth Scribe

Ninth_Scribe
06-24-2006, 10:30 PM
And also to stop meddling in everything. They've already labelled the islamic reformists in Somalia as supporters of Al Qaedia. How in the blooming heck did they come to that conclusion so fast? Beats me.
W'salaam
They do tend to meddle alot don't they? Bush is behaving like a little tin Hitler. The dude has no clue how to talk to people. You can't just go to someone's country, kick in the doors to their palace, with an entourage of media that places the whole event on public display, and start ordering people around. Some of his requests might have been honored if they were made privately and with dignity - but the leaders he put on the spot have no choice but to deny his requests because they were presented as demands - if those leaders give in to those demands after the disrespectful way in which they were presented, they would lose the respect of their own people. I had told him about this before... that his mouth would get him into trouble.

But what do I know?

Ninth Scribe

snakelegs
06-25-2006, 02:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
I think that this is a big step forward. However, can anyone spot what I think is wrong with this statement?

"There is a perception that Muslims are a source of terrorism.
perception?

HeiGou
06-25-2006, 10:24 AM
I agree. It is complicated and it needs co-operation and work by two communities: the mainstream community needs to go on tracking them down and putting them in jail, and their originating Faith and ethnic communities need to stop producing new ones.

America could start by...ummm.... pulling their soldiers out of every Muslim country that doesn't want them there.
Is there a single country in the world where that is the case? Where do the Americans have soldiers where they are not wanted? The Saudis wanted them out and so they are gone.

And also to stop meddling in everything. They've already labelled the islamic reformists in Somalia as supporters of Al Qaedia. How in the blooming heck did they come to that conclusion so fast? Beats me.
Where did they say that? It seems a reasonable assumption to me. Being a devout Muslim and being a supporter of al-Qaeda is not a coincidence. I am sure there are devout Muslims out there that are not supporters of al-Qaeda, but you can look at this site alone and see the two are closely related.

The Americans get the blame for everything. If they meddle or if they don't. If they intervene or not. Doesn't matter. There is no point even talking to the sort of people who have no rational basis for their objections to what the Americans do but just blindly oppose them on everything.

Having said that, I think that the Americans ought to get out of the Middle East and the Islamic world generally. And Muslims ought to be encouraged to leave non-Muslim countries. We cannot live together. Separation is the only viable option.

afriend
06-25-2006, 10:26 AM

Yes...that's a good point.

Pk_#2
06-25-2006, 10:38 AM
AsalmuAlaykum,

Terrorism is against the teachings of Islam, Dr Naseem explained

Damn right!, so why torture Muslims and humiliate em, just for being Muslims, jeez :(

Jazakhala for the post,

WalaykumSalaam.

HeiGou
06-25-2006, 10:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tasmiyah_B
Terrorism is against the teachings of Islam, Dr Naseem explained

Damn right!, so why torture Muslims and humiliate em, just for being Muslims, jeez :(
Muslim scholars can go on explaining that terrorism is against the teachings of Islam and it won't make any difference except in the long run. It may even make things worse. After all clearly some people think that terrorism is not against the teachings of Islam - the boys who blew themselves up in London for instance. There is a non-trivial group on the internet that thinks terrorism is not un-Islamic either although a larger group simply defines "terrorism" to mean the killing of any people they do not want killed. So if some types of Muslims do it they are less than rushed to denounce it. Finally these statements are not made to the sort of people who do this sort of thing or even to Muslims in general. They are directed at non-Muslims as can be seen by the Blair's government's Muslim Task Force whose only response to the 7-7 bombings was, basically, to encourage more people to convert to Islam. In the long run young male Muslims may get the message but in the meantime it looks from a kafir perspective as if Muslim scholars are not being entirely honest - that they are saying one thing to us and another to their own communities.

Finally, where is anyone torturing anyone just because they are Muslims? The West has gone out of their way to make it clear that this is not a war on Islam and they only arrest people they think, perhaps wrongly sometimes, are terrorists. Compare and contrast with the attitude of the bombers themselves and the wider Muslim communities from which they come.

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-25-2006, 11:57 AM
I agree. It is complicated and it needs co-operation and work by two communities: the mainstream community needs to go on tracking them down and putting them in jail, and their originating Faith and ethnic communities need to stop producing new ones.
Nice. Blame it all on us.

Is there a single country in the world where that is the case? Where do the Americans have soldiers where they are not wanted? The Saudis wanted them out and so they are gone.
If the people in Iraq wanted them there, there wouldn't be a resistance.

Where did they say that? It seems a reasonable assumption to me. Being a devout Muslim and being a supporter of al-Qaeda is not a coincidence. I am sure there are devout Muslims out there that are not supporters of al-Qaeda, but you can look at this site alone and see the two are closely related.
That's a little narrow minded. How did you come to that conclusion?

The Americans get the blame for everything. If they meddle or if they don't. If they intervene or not. Doesn't matter. There is no point even talking to the sort of people who have no rational basis for their objections to what the Americans do but just blindly oppose them on everything.
If they didn't meddle, i'd be very happy. Seeing as I come from a country where they have meddled, and they are trying to meddle again.

Having said that, I think that the Americans ought to get out of the Middle East and the Islamic world generally.
Yup. Definitely.

And Muslims ought to be encouraged to leave non-Muslim countries. We cannot live together. Separation is the only viable option.
If that is how you feel. They'd still be chasing after us even if we all left. But that isn't going to happen. There are alot of reverts, remember? There are alot of western born Muslims too. But I think we should only voluntarily stay in the lands of teh kuffar for Da'wah. But for alot of people, leaving is not an option and is almost impossible.
-Peace

HeiGou
06-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Nice. Blame it all on us.
It isn't my community that is producing these bombers. You do not see Buddhists beheading anyone. Or Hinsu blowing themselves up in the Tube. One community and one community only produced these bombers. Who should I blame it on? The Jews?

If the people in Iraq wanted them there, there wouldn't be a resistance.
Well that is not true either. It is like saying if the British public did not want suicide bombing there would be none. A segment of the Iraqi population does not want them there. How big is that segment? Well who knows? It is probably not all of the Sunni Arabs, but it is unlikely to include many non-Arabs or non-Sunnis. The Kurds are happy. The Shia seem happy enough.

That's a little narrow minded. How did you come to that conclusion?
How is that narrow minded? It is a perfectly reasonable statement. Al-Qaeda is a religious-based organisation. It does not recruit Jews or Christians or Buddhists. It recruits Muslims. It is religious in orientation. It is not a secular group or a Marxist one but a religious one. Presumably one of the criteria for joining is Belief. You may disagree with their theology (or not as the case may be), but surely you cannot deny that they are generally highly observant people.

If they didn't meddle, i'd be very happy. Seeing as I come from a country where they have meddled, and they are trying to meddle again.
By meddling you mean they tried to feed the starving and end the civil war? What is the evidence you would be happy if they stopped meddling?

And Muslims ought to be encouraged to leave non-Muslim countries. We cannot live together. Separation is the only viable option.
If that is how you feel. They'd still be chasing after us even if we all left. But that isn't going to happen. There are alot of reverts, remember? There are alot of western born Muslims too. But I think we should only voluntarily stay in the lands of teh kuffar for Da'wah. But for alot of people, leaving is not an option and is almost impossible.
Not just me. Growing numbers of Europeans and a large number of Muslim people around here too. I don't see why anyone would bother. Is it not as if the Muslim world has much to offer except oil. And I don't think that is worth it. The reverts and the Western-born Muslims are non-issues. I no longer think they contribute anything worth having or at least worth the risks of them being here. Canada and Denmark show, it isn't the War, it isn't Palestine, it isn't Iraq. It is just as Bush said. It is us. And you.

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-25-2006, 12:32 PM
It isn't my community that is producing these bombers. You do not see Buddhists beheading anyone. Or Hinsu blowing themselves up in the Tube. One community and one community only produced these bombers. Who should I blame it on? The Jews?

Well that is not true either. It is like saying if the British public did not want suicide bombing there would be none. A segment of the Iraqi population does not want them there. How big is that segment? Well who knows? It is probably not all of the Sunni Arabs, but it is unlikely to include many non-Arabs or non-Sunnis. The Kurds are happy. The Shia seem happy enough.

How is that narrow minded? It is a perfectly reasonable statement. Al-Qaeda is a religious-based organisation. It does not recruit Jews or Christians or Buddhists. It recruits Muslims. It is religious in orientation. It is not a secular group or a Marxist one but a religious one. Presumably one of the criteria for joining is Belief. You may disagree with their theology (or not as the case may be), but surely you cannot deny that they are generally highly observant people.

By meddling you mean they tried to feed the starving and end the civil war? What is the evidence you would be happy if they stopped meddling?

Not just me. Growing numbers of Europeans and a large number of Muslim people around here too. I don't see why anyone would bother. Is it not as if the Muslim world has much to offer except oil. And I don't think that is worth it. The reverts and the Western-born Muslims are non-issues. I no longer think they contribute anything worth having or at least worth the risks of them being here. Canada and Denmark show, it isn't the War, it isn't Palestine, it isn't Iraq. It is just as Bush said. It is us. And you.
Is that right? We contribute nothing? Haha. Ok. That says it all. There isn't any point of me continuing this conversation with you if you're going to come out with bigotted statements like that.

HeiGou
06-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Is that right? We contribute nothing? Haha. Ok. That says it all. There isn't any point of me continuing this conversation with you if you're going to come out with bigotted statements like that.
I did not say nothing. I said nothing worth having or worth the risk of having them here. I am sorry that offends you, but after Canada I think it is true. Muslims are more likely to be unemployed, more likely to be in jail, more likely to be poor, more likely to drop out of school. While the unemployment rate in Britain is a little over 4 percent what is it for British Muslims? The Muslim community as a whole is clearly getting more money from the rest of British society than it is paying in taxes. The fuss over the British government's Terrorism Task Force shows the problem only too clearly - the British Muslim community does not take terrorism against people like me seriously.

Take the BBC's survey,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5111248.stm

A higher proportion of British Muslims are radicalised than those in several other major western European nations, according to a US research body.
However, almost a quarter thought suicide bombings and other violence against civilian targets to defend Islam were justifiable - though among these some stated that this was rarely the case.
More than half of the British Muslims, 56%, believed Arabs were not responsible for the 9/11 terror strikes.

Some 69% ascribed three or more negative qualities to Westerners.

Only 47% of the German Muslims, the next highest figure among the European countries, were that critical.

In every negative characteristic they were asked about, British Muslims were the most likely to associated it with Westerners.

Some 67% saw them as selfish, while 64% attributed them with arrogance and 63% highlighted greed.

Another 57% thought Westerners were immoral, 52% said they were violent and 44% labelled them fanatical.

A total of 24% of the British Muslims questioned thought there were times when suicide bombing was acceptable.

That figure broke down into 3% who said it was often justifiable, 12% who said only sometimes, and 9% who thought it was only rarely acceptable.

You think my concerns are bigotry? You don't think that reading this site and others I have grounds to be concerned?

Bittersteel
06-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Is it not as if the Muslim world has much to offer except oil. And I don't think that is worth it. The reverts and the Western-born Muslims are non-issues. I no longer think they contribute anything worth having or at least worth the risks of them being here.
you are wrong.Muslim immigrants contribute a lot to your economy as well as other asians.
It is us. And you.
you made the situation like that.In a way and we are also to blame.

just like I said before if you don't like immigrants spit it out.even put a ban on it.we don't mind,in fact its going to do us a lot of help.

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Yeah, exactly. We do contribute to the economy. I was raised in a family where alot of stress was put on dunya education, aswell as Islamic education.

Bittersteel
06-25-2006, 01:00 PM
students from Muslim countries pay a lot.If there aren't foreign students ,it will have a bad impact on your economy even if it is minor.
BTW,my aunt is a great supporter of Blair and his aggressive and she as well as her sons are more religious than me.

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-25-2006, 01:02 PM
Why would she want to support Blair?

KAding
06-25-2006, 01:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Emir Aziz
you are wrong.Muslim immigrants contribute a lot to your economy as well as other asians.
Well, he is not saying Muslims are not contributing to the economy, only that their contribution is not worth the risk of increased social tension and even conflict. There are many less proud and more flexible people who badly want to enter the Eruope and who don't dislike our culture and values. I would say we should let more of those in (Sub-saharan africans, Asians and South-Americans) and less people from Muslim countries, I believe they will have less objections adapting to our cultural norms.

I truely think it would be better for everyone. I too am really starting to wonder whether peaceful coexistance within our societies can be assured with such major cleavages between different groups. Mind you, I am not saying we are destined to have a conflict, but the simple fact is that the chance of social conflict increases dramatically.

just like I said before if you don't like immigrants spit it out.even put a ban on it.we don't mind,in fact its going to do us a lot of help.
I don't dislike immigration. In fact, I think we should have more of it, and not just limit it to those who seek political asylum. Yet, when letting people into the country we should make sure that social peace in the long term is not treathened. We can see all over the world how easy ethnic and religious tensions can flare up and end up in massive conflict. Heck, Yugoslavia was a fairly highly developed and educated country, yet it ended in bloodshed. Decreasing the chance of something like that happening is important if we want to keep living in peace.

Again, I do not believe it will happen any time soon, but apparently we are already at the point that some segments of society want to blow up other segments and vise versa. Not a good evolution.

Bittersteel
06-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Why would she want to support Blair?
she really hates terrorists.she doesn't want the actions of terrorists affecting her image and their lives see?

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-25-2006, 01:20 PM
So? She can dislike terrorists and still not support Blair. That snake whose hands are stained bright red with the blood of innocent Muslims.

HeiGou
06-25-2006, 01:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Emir Aziz
Is it not as if the Muslim world has much to offer except oil. And I don't think that is worth it. The reverts and the Western-born Muslims are non-issues. I no longer think they contribute anything worth having or at least worth the risks of them being here.
Especially other Asians. I agree Muslim contribute, but how much do they give compared to how much they take?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4771233.stm

Muslim hardship under spotlight

Many Muslims in England face bleak employment prospects and endure poor standards of housing, a government-backed study has found.

The report revealed Muslims were more likely than any other faith group to be jobless and living in poor conditions.

It said 14% of Muslims aged over 25 were unemployed, compared with the national unemployment rate of 4%.

University researchers in Birmingham, Derby, Oxford and Warwick also found Muslims had poorer levels of education.

The study, commissioned to review the prospects of faith communities in England, also said Muslims were more vulnerable to long-term illness.

And one in three lived in the most deprived areas of England.

'Multiple deprivation'

"Taking the Muslim population as a whole, they face some of the most acute conditions of multiple deprivation," the report said.

John Prescott's former department, the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (ODPM), commissioned the academics to review data on the Hindu, Sikh and Muslim communities.

As well as highlighting the disadvantages suffered, the report found members of these communities were likely to remain concentrated in the same areas.

This was because families wanted to stay close together and many prefer to live near to their places of worship.

Researchers reviewed a variety of data, including information from the 2001 national census.

The government will use the study in its work to encourage equal opportunities for members of all religious communities, a spokeswoman said.

All that suggests that Muslims are more likely to get benefits, more likely to be on unemployment handouts, less likely to pay taxes, less likely to stay in education.

But there is one thing the Muslim communities of Britain, and ONLY the Muslim communities of Britain, have contributed to British life. What would that be?

It is us. And you.
I do not think so. No doubt the West could have done other things, but I think this problem would exist anyway. Just as the Romans did nothing to provoke an attack at Tabuk. Canada clearly shows there are people out there trying to kill kafirs with no justification whatsoever. And if Canada does not show it the conviction of four Danish Muslims for planned attacks on Churches shows that it is true in Denmark.

I am an immigrant. I have no problems with immigrants. The period of large scale Muslim immigration to the West is over - and I expect to India too. If you think that will help you it looks like a win-win situation to me.

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-25-2006, 01:26 PM
Or how about we gas the Muslims in concentration camps.:rollseyes

HeiGou
06-25-2006, 01:44 PM
Or how about we gas the Muslims in concentration camps.:rollseyes
How about we enforce Islamic law but with you as the Dhimmis? How about we start with "no Muslims in the European peninsular".

Going to that extreme is absurd. There is no need for it. You'd be happier in a Muslim country. I'd be happier if a lot of your fellow Muslims were in a Muslim country. I see an obvious solution to all our problems.

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Why would you be happier?
I'm going to extreme lengths because your statements are bigotted.

Muezzin
06-25-2006, 02:07 PM
What does all this mudslinging have to do with the first post?

Please stay on-topic. My deleting sprees tend to offend.

HeiGou
06-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Why would you be happier?
Because despite all the denials terrorism has anything to do with Islam, it clearly has something to do with the Muslim community. Presumably, given the total lack of understanding about why young Muslim men blow themselves up and the complete indifference to said fact and the utter lack of effort from the Muslim community's leadership to do anything about it whatsoever, a certain unknown percentage of young Muslim men will attempt to blow themselves up on a regular basis. This year. Next year. The year after that. So the only viable solution to lowering the risk is to lower the number of young Muslim men. It may surprise you but I do not care to be blown up.

I'm going to extreme lengths because your statements are bigotted.
How are they bigoted? To be a bigot would imply an ignorant and unreasonable belief. The longer I am here, the more I learn, the less tolerant I become. I can only take so many promises to cut my head off and posts praising murderers. I have a well informed, totally reasonable belief that a certain, but unknown, percentage of Muslims would like to see me die. I have a well informed, totally reasonable belief that a large number of Muslims would like to see this country and my homeland invaded and me and mine reduced to second-class citizens. I have a well informed, totally reasonable belief that long-term co-existence is unlikely if not impossible between Muslims and non-Muslims. Don't blame me for listening to you all and believing what you tell me. Just look at the article that started this thread off.

Ninth_Scribe
06-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Wow! I can see this thread has deteriorated to sludge over-night. Would love to see all your faces at the Council. You know, pointing fingers and playing the game 'Who's the Terrorist?' won't help anyone's cause, since the 'powers-that-be' have gone out of the way to prove to me that anyone can be reduced to base behavior... ragardless of their country of origin or their religion. I could be wrong, but I thought the purpose of this forum was to collect and discuss issues - not promote world-wide anarchy.

The King of Jordan has given in to un-Islamic behavior. Bush has given in to un-Christian behavior. I don't know why he (of all people) insists the world recognize Israel anyway... it's a blasphemy to those who were... Israelites - and the 'prophesy' that convinced him hasn't been fulfilled... I don't see the other ten tribes living there, nor has harmony been restored between those tribes! Live by the sword, Die by the sword... and nothing's been accomplished in the process. I guess some things never change, but while we're all pointing fingers (holds up the mirror), show me what it is you see that is so much better than any other living, breathing thing?

Humanity is reducing itself to the level of animals - the hunters and the hunted. I don't care who started it, or whose fault it is... let's worry about fixing this! If you can't get yourself BEYOND the natures that currently rule this problem, then gracefully bow out... I'll understand. But enough of the finger-pointing and name calling... we have leaders who have proven to us that it solves nothing!!!

Ninth Scribe

HeiGou
06-25-2006, 02:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ninth_Scribe
Wow! I can see this thread has deteriorated to sludge over-night. Would love to see all your faces at the Council. You know, pointing fingers and playing the game 'Who's the Terrorist?' won't help anyone's cause, since the 'powers-that-be' have gone out of the way to prove to me that anyone can be reduced to base behavior... ragardless of their country of origin or their religion. I could be wrong, but I thought the purpose of this forum was to collect and discuss issues - not promote world-wide anarchy.
On the contrary I think that playing "who's the terrorist" is an excellent start. After all terrorism is the problem. Theoretically we are all opposed to it. Well most of us are. In practice of course I do not get the impression that anyone much is willing to do anything about it. But it worth a try. Doing nothing is the best way to promote world-wide anarchy. To prevent crime criminals must be punished.

Muezzin
06-25-2006, 02:38 PM
On the contrary I think that playing "who's the terrorist" is an excellent start. After all terrorism is the problem. Theoretically we are all opposed to it. Well most of us are. In practice of course I do not get the impression that anyone much is willing to do anything about it. But it worth a try. Doing nothing is the best way to promote world-wide anarchy.
The Muslim leaders in the article you posted did do something. In fact, they condemned terrorist actions, just as you (as a person) have wanted all along. Thus, I am thoroughly confused (to put it lightly) why you are still not satisfied?

The best thing to do would be to reach out to those most susceptible to become terrorists, or want to blow themselves up. What do ya know, most of them tend to be young, Muslim males - which is just the demographic being targeted by these preventative initatives.

Obviously, it's not going to destroy terrorism overnight, but it's a start.

To prevent crime criminals must be punished.
Who has said anything otherwise?

HeiGou
06-25-2006, 02:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
The Muslim leaders in the article you posted did do something. In fact, they condemned terrorist actions, just as you (as a person) have wanted all along. Thus, I am thoroughly confused (to put it lightly) why you are still not satisfied?
Why did they do something?

Islamic leaders across Birmingham have issued a joint message against terrorism in a bid to tackle mistrust of Muslims in the UK.

So they did not do it because killing innocent people was wrong, or because they felt they had any need to apologise or clarify what Islam is all about, but because the bombings were bad PR. Can you see why this leaves me less than impressed?

Anyway did they condemn terrorist actions?

The religious edict makes clear the killing of innocent victims is against the principles of Islam.

Bin Laden et al claim that because British voters vote for the British government which attacks Muslims, British people are not innocent. This statement adds nothing we did not know. The problem is not that Mr Khan and his friends did not know this, it is that they thought the people they were going to kill were not innocent. If they have any other associates out there, will this add anything to their knowledge? Not if they think British voters and taxpayers are all guilty.

The message is thought to be the first joint statement made by Muslim scholars in the UK against terrorism.

How long did that take?

The best thing to do would be to reach out to those most susceptible to become terrorists, or want to blow themselves up. What do ya know, most of them tend to be young, Muslim males - which is just the demographic being targeted by these preventative initatives.
I agree with that. But I can't do that. Tony Blair can't do that. It needs the leadership of the Muslim communities to do that and so far their only response has been to blame the British and demand money to convert British people to Islam as far as I can see.

Obviously, it's not going to destroy terrorism overnight, but it's a start.
The worst thing about the alleged Canadian plot is that all the Muslims there knew that radical violent sermons were being preached and they did nothing. The guy took the rubbish out for them. Nothing is going to destroy terrorism over night except perhaps an equivalent of the Sharon Plan - a big Wall. But if even in Canada Muslims will do nothing when they hear messages of violence being preached what is the alternative?

Muezzin
06-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Why did they do something?

So they did not do it because killing innocent people was wrong, or because they felt they had any need to apologise or clarify what Islam is all about, but because the bombings were bad PR. Can you see why this leaves me less than impressed?
I saw that too. Nevertheless, it's better than nothing.

Bin Laden et al claim that because British voters vote for the British government which attacks Muslims, British people are not innocent. This statement adds nothing we did not know. The problem is not that Mr Khan and his friends did not know this, it is that they thought the people they were going to kill were not innocent. If they have any other associates out there, will this add anything to their knowledge? Not if they think British voters and taxpayers are all guilty.
What? Maybe they should have said 'civilians'. I think, quite frankly, you're getting lost in semantics. The message seemed quite clear to me.

How long did that take?
Long enough.

I agree with that. But I can't do that. Tony Blair can't do that. It needs the leadership of the Muslim communities to do that and so far their only response has been to blame the British and demand money to convert British people to Islam as far as I can see.
This is true. I do think part of the problem is that certain of these susceptible youths have a negative image of themselves as Muslims, which is reinforced by outside factors. E.g. a slightly overweight child becomes morbidly obese following repeated taunts that he's fat.

However, the main thing is to condemn the killing of civilians.

The worst thing about the alleged Canadian plot is that all the Muslims there knew that radical violent sermons were being preached and they did nothing. The guy took the rubbish out for them. Nothing is going to destroy terrorism over night except perhaps an equivalent of the Sharon Plan - a big Wall. But if even in Canada Muslims will do nothing when they hear messages of violence being preached what is the alternative?
Oh, I don't know, piling all the Muslims in gas chambers like all the rest of history's scapegoats.

More seriously, people do need to learn to speak up and tell the police. I think they might think that they're 'ratting out' their fellow brothers, and thus sinning. I think this perception needs to change - I've been taught, if you're confronted with someone willing to commit attrocities in the name of your religion, then try to talk them out of it, but if that doesn't work tell the police.

I only talk for myself and likeminded individuals though. I can't make people report this kind of thing.

HeiGou
06-25-2006, 03:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
but because the bombings were bad PR. Can you see why this leaves me less than impressed?
I saw that too. Nevertheless, it's better than nothing.
I don't know. When there was nothing we all knew where we stood.

What? Maybe they should have said 'civilians'. I think, quite frankly, you're getting lost in semantics. The message seemed quite clear to me.
Maybe they should have. Maybe they very carefully chose their words to mean what they said and no more. As I have said before, I think they are aiming this at the wrong people. People like me and not like the bombers. I would like to think there is no need to send you this message, but the semantics matter when it comes to the people it is aimed at.

However, the main thing is to condemn the killing of civilians.
Totally with you on that.

Oh, I don't know, piling all the Muslims in gas chambers like all the rest of history's scapegoats.
Only happened once. Most of history's scapegoats don't get gassed. Nor is the analogy right for two reasons: one, it is a gross overstatement and two, the whole point of the scapegoat is that he took the communities sins on himself, being otherwise innocent. It is not the British community that is producing bombers, but a very specific sub-section of that community.

More seriously, people do need to learn to speak up and tell the police. I think they might think that they're 'ratting out' their fellow brothers, and thus sinning. I think this perception needs to change - I've been taught, if you're confronted with someone willing to commit attrocities in the name of your religion, then try to talk them out of it, but if that doesn't work tell the police.
Totally with you there.

I only talk for myself and likeminded individuals though. I can't make people report this kind of thing.
True. But if people like you cannot, no one can.

Ansar Al-'Adl
06-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Actually, the origin of the problem is a political one, not a religious one, and as such it merits a political solution. All religious leaders can do is condemn terrorism and say that it has nothing to do with the religion. But since it wasn't a religious problem to begin with, a religious solution is not going to have much affect. So instead of leaving problems on Muslims' doorsteps and telling them to clean up, you need to stop leaving those problems there. If there is a factory polluting a nearby community causing diseases amongst the inhabitants, it doesn't help if you simply tell the inhabitants to buy more medications. You have to remove the source of pollution.

As Shaykh Salman Al-Awdah said:
In fact, the ones who encourage hatred are certain Western and other non-Muslim politicians and media personalities who seem to be doing everything in their power to instigate conflicts against Muslims in various parts of the world. By their practices, they seem to be trying to give the Muslims lessons in hatred and rancor.

If there are some moderate and reasonable voices in the West and in places like India, they are being drowned out by the overwhelming clamor of extremism and anti-Islamic rhetoric. Admittedly, the same thing can be said for the Muslims as well. However, I must stress that the West is suffocating the moderate and temperate voices in the Muslim world who are on the correct Islamic methodology, the methodology that is the way of salvation for the Muslim nation.
Being a devout Muslim and being a supporter of al-Qaeda is not a coincidence. I am sure there are devout Muslims out there that are not supporters of al-Qaeda, but you can look at this site alone and see the two are closely related.
Rubbish. Al-Qaeda is a kharaji organization rejected by mainstream Muslims and denounced by mainstream scholars.
Having said that, I think that the Americans ought to get out of the Middle East and the Islamic world generally. And Muslims ought to be encouraged to leave non-Muslim countries. We cannot live together. Separation is the only viable option.
For bigots who are not willing to dialogue, seperation is the only option. I am still hopeful that there are people on both sides who do not reject dialogue and understanding nor turn to isolation as a cure.
After all clearly some people think that terrorism is not against the teachings of Islam - the boys who blew themselves up in London for instance.
If a Christian murders does that necessitate that the Christian believed murder was okay in Christianity? It doesn't follow logically. A religion can only be linked with the actions of its adherents if it can objectively be shown that such actions are endorsed by the religion itself. And if this problem was a religious one, then the condemnation by the Muslim scholars would have been sufficient. When all the scholars and educated leaders have condemned terrorism to be against the teachings of Islam, then it means that the problem is political and westerners are deluding only themselves when they continue to bring religion into the picture and attack Islam.
You do not see Buddhists beheading anyone.
But we do find Buddhist MONKS and ABBOTS murdering people all the same:
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0011/S00003.htm
Are you saying you have never heard of the victims of the Sokka Gakai movement, concerning whom BBC comments:
It was in Buddhist Teachings and in The Book of Revelation, grossly perverted and corrupted, the justification was somehow found for mass-murder.
Muslims are more likely to be unemployed
Maybe it would help if we combatted job discrimination?
http://212.58.240.36/1/hi/world/europe/4399748.stm
Just as the Romans did nothing to provoke an attack at Tabuk.
Except for tying up and beheading the Prophet Muhammad's diplomat, Al-Harith ibn Umayr, and subsequently sending a huge army against the Muslims at the Battle of Mu'tah, where the Muslims were forced to retreat.
Canada clearly shows
Absolute nothing until facts have been demonstrated in court.
So the only viable solution to lowering the risk is to lower the number of young Muslim men.
This kind of ignorance is precisely the problem; rather than identifying the environmental causes you make the preposterous assumption that being a young Muslim male is the problem itself and therefore we should eliminate young Muslim males. Your ideas provide fertile ground for collecting Muslims in holocaust concentration camps. It is not easy to breed hatred towards the adherents of an entire religion like the Nazis did against the Jews. But people like yourself and propaganda make it much easier.

HeiGou
06-25-2006, 05:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
Actually, the origin of the problem is a political one, not a religious one, and as such it merits a political solution. All religious leaders can do is condemn terrorism and say that it has nothing to do with the religion.
Actually they can do more: they can clearly explain precisely why it is that terrorism is unacceptable in their religion, they can tell their followers to co-operate wholeheartedly with the police, they can do so themselves by displaying understanding and common sense when the police don't get things quite right and they can launch a program to prevent their own young men being led astray. I do not see this in Britain but you're presumably closer to the Muslim community - can you tell me what they have done?

But since it wasn't a religious problem to begin with, a religious solution is not going to have much affect. So instead of leaving problems on Muslims' doorsteps and telling them to clean up, you need to stop leaving those problems there. If there is a factory polluting a nearby community causing diseases amongst the inhabitants, it doesn't help if you simply tell the inhabitants to buy more medications. You have to remove the source of pollution.
If it was clear cut that this was not a problem with a sub-section of the British Muslim community but of the wider non-Muslim community I would agree with you. But I do not think it is nor can I see any evidence that it is.

As Shaykh Salman Al-Awdah said:
In fact, the ones who encourage hatred are certain Western and other non-Muslim politicians and media personalities who seem to be doing everything in their power to instigate conflicts against Muslims in various parts of the world. By their practices, they seem to be trying to give the Muslims lessons in hatred and rancor.

If there are some moderate and reasonable voices in the West and in places like India, they are being drowned out by the overwhelming clamor of extremism and anti-Islamic rhetoric. Admittedly, the same thing can be said for the Muslims as well. However, I must stress that the West is suffocating the moderate and temperate voices in the Muslim world who are on the correct Islamic methodology, the methodology that is the way of salvation for the Muslim nation.
So you are saying that Westerners brought this on themselves? That they incited young Muslims to go out and kill British people? Why then was this not listed among the reasons those Muslims gave for why they did what they did? Why do similar young men do similar things all over the world whether there are Western politicians there or not? Why is it that these bombings also occurred in Bali for instance - in a Muslim majority country without any Western politicians at all?

As for strangling the moderate and temperate voices in the Muslim world, the West has empowered such people within the West, given them government jobs, asked them to speak up. What happens in the wider Muslim world is a problem for Muslims but I do not see anyone being silenced there either. What I do see is large scale and wide spread support among Muslims for terrorists although I admit it is dropping.

This looks like blaming the victim to me and part of the problem. It is simply denial.

Rubbish. Al-Qaeda is a kharaji organization rejected by mainstream Muslims and denounced by mainstream scholars.
It is not rejected by everyone around here. I agree it is a khariji organisation from what I understand although my opinion obviously does not count, but they described themselves otherwise and whatever else they are they are pious.

For bigots who are not willing to dialogue, seperation is the only option. I am still hopeful that there are people on both sides who do not reject dialogue and understanding nor turn to isolation as a cure.
I would love some dialog, but I do not see much. I don't think there is much to talk about. You cannot talk with people who will not even accept that 9-11 was the work of Muslims. These sort of people (half the British Muslim population I note) simply have closed minds. I came here looking for dialog. I have come to believe that Separation is the only solution. I don't think that anyone else in my situation would do otherwise. Dialog is only possible on a basis of ignorance - ignorance of the views of many of the sort of people who post here and this, I have to point out yet again, is a reasonable site.

If a Christian murders does that necessitate that the Christian believed murder was okay in Christianity? It doesn't follow logically.
If a Christian kills because he thinks Christ wants him to, then either he is insane or he is killing from Christian reasons. If the Inquisition kills then it does so from a Christian perspective and for Christian reasons. When suicide bombers kill for religious reasons I do not see what is wrong with saying that.

A religion can only be linked with the actions of its adherents if it can objectively be shown that such actions are endorsed by the religion itself.
Perhaps. But there is still a statistical link as well. Suicide bombers in much of the world come from two very well-defined ideological traditions. I am happy to agree that they are not orthodox Muslims, I am happy to agree they represent a small part of the Muslim world. But they are not Jewish.

And if this problem was a religious one, then the condemnation by the Muslim scholars would have been sufficient.
So there are no honour killings in the Muslim world? No corruption? No murders? What do Muslim scholars condemn successfully these days? The problem is that there are many conflicting opinions in the Muslim world. I can see why it might be hard for a young Muslim man, reading islamonline for instance, to understand why suicide bombings are fard in Israel but forbidden in Britain.

When all the scholars and educated leaders have condemned terrorism to be against the teachings of Islam, then it means that the problem is political and westerners are deluding only themselves when they continue to bring religion into the picture and attack Islam.
I am not attacking Islam. I have no problem with the theoretical nature of Islam as it is presented here. Or little anyway. My problem is with the actual implementation and the attempt to make that Islam work in the real world. There is a contradiction between the condemnations of terrorism as unIslamic and the tolerance shown towards people I would call terrorists. Zarqawi died and this site was flooded by people mourning him. Who was condemning him? Nor do Bush or Blair condemn Islam, they have gone out of their way to say otherwise.

There is also something clearly wrong with their definition of "terrorism". If suicide bombings against British people are acceptable in Iraq, I can see why a young man might think they are acceptable against British people in Britain. Can't you?

But we do find Buddhist MONKS and ABBOTS murdering people all the same:
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0011/S00003.htm
We find criminals who happen to be Buddhists and even Buddhist monks. We do not find Buddhists defending them. We do not find organised Buddhist terrorist groups with a specific Buddhist orientation. Just as crime in the Muslim world says nothing about Islam, crime in the Buddhist world says nothing about Buddhism.

Are you saying you have never heard of the victims of the Sokka Gakai movement, concerning whom BBC comments:
It was in Buddhist Teachings and in The Book of Revelation, grossly perverted and corrupted, the justification was somehow found for mass-murder.
Sorry but I could only find one rape case on that website. Don't you mean some other splinter fringe group? That is, I admit, one rape case too many, but how many do you think I could find in Pakistani madrassas if I did a quick google search? Again that does not reflect on Islam.

Maybe it would help if we combatted job discrimination?
http://212.58.240.36/1/hi/world/europe/4399748.stm
If it is discrimination. Sikhs and Hindus do not have these problems in Britain (which has a similar unemployment rate to France oddly enough even though it has a much lower unemployment rate overall).

Absolute nothing until facts have been demonstrated in court.
And yet the people who ran the mosque are happy to say they knew what was being preached.

This kind of ignorance is precisely the problem; rather than identifying the environmental causes you make the preposterous assumption that being a young Muslim male is the problem itself and therefore we should eliminate young Muslim males. Your ideas provide fertile ground for collecting Muslims in holocaust concentration camps. It is not easy to breed hatred towards the adherents of an entire religion like the Nazis did against the Jews. But people like yourself and propaganda make it much easier.
Where is the ignorance? I do not see any environmental causes, nor do I see any Muslims helping to identify any except saying it is all the West's fault. By all means I would love to hear what you have in mind. I would prefer to identify those elements that cause young men to do this. But what links young Muslim men in Britain, Spain, Pakistan, Iraq, Turkey, Afghanistan, Thailand, Indonesia, and perhaps Canada? To me it looks like suicide bombs, young men, and their flawed understanding of their religion. What other causes can you pinpoint?

KAding
06-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Actually, the origin of the problem is a political one, not a religious one [...]
Sure it is political. But who ever said that religions can't be political?

As is explained in the 'Basics of Islam' section:
Islam is not for the mosque only, it is for daily life, a guide to life in all its aspects: socially, economically, and politically.
http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...hat-islam.html

Isn't this seperation between a political problem and a religious problem a false seperation?

Ansar Al-'Adl
06-25-2006, 08:04 PM
Actually they can do more: they can clearly explain precisely why it is that terrorism is unacceptable in their religion, they can tell their followers to co-operate wholeheartedly with the police, they can do so themselves by displaying understanding and common sense when the police don't get things quite right and they can launch a program to prevent their own young men being led astray.
All these steps are being undertaken by Muslim organizations, despite the lack of acknowledgement or support they recieve from the non-muslim community. Many Islamic Institutes in the west teach their students to reject extremism and violence and thus aid in promoting the true Islamic teachings amongst the younger generation.

As for Muslim countries, since Saudi Arabia is often accused of being the source of of extremism and violent ideologies, I'll post the following report from Saudi:
http://www.saudiembassy.net/ReportLi...mism_May04.pdf
If one goes through the above report it becomes apparent how nonsensical the accusations against Saudi are, given the fact that they are probably doing more than anyone else to combat this extremism and have provided the absolute condemnation of such violence from all their scholars.
If it was clear cut that this was not a problem with a sub-section of the British Muslim community but of the wider non-Muslim community I would agree with you. But I do not think it is nor can I see any evidence that it is.
Actually that negates nothing. The fact that it is a political problem does not contradict in anyway that Muslims are the subjects of that problem. The political situation in the Muslim world is the source of this conflict and that is obvious when one looks at the causes of all the violence. The same places are always referenced; clean up the political problems in those places, and you can remove the source of the problem.
So you are saying that Westerners brought this on themselves?
Not all or even most westerners. But many, including politicans, are using anti-islamic rhetoric and domestic and foreign policies to isolate the Muslim community, to instill isolationist intolerant views towards Muslims (which has been successful in your case), and to instigate conflicts in the Muslim world.

As for strangling the moderate and temperate voices in the Muslim world, the West has empowered such people within the West, given them government jobs, asked them to speak up.
It has certainly not. Instead, it empowers secularist "muslims" in the west who are rejected by mainstream Muslims, people who say that the trouble is with Islam, or that Islam is in need of reform, and that we need to reject our Muslim scholars and become 'moderates', by which they mean people who do not pray salah, follow the Islamic regulations and prohibitions. On almost a daily basis we see these people in the western media slandering Islam or Muslim scholars.

What I do see is large scale and wide spread support among Muslims for terrorists although I admit it is dropping.
In the face of all these condemnations, for you to say something like this sheer obstinance.
It is not rejected by everyone around here. I agree it is a khariji organisation from what I understand although my opinion obviously does not count, but they described themselves otherwise and whatever else they are they are pious.
Of course they superficially appear pious, that is what the Prophet Muhammad pbuh warned us about them. They recite the Qur'an but it does not go beneath their throats.
I would love some dialog, but I do not see much.
How can someone who calls for the isolation of all Muslims from the west and the elimination of all young Muslim males complain that there are no efforts for dialogue? You have to be prepared to dialogue and share understanding.
You cannot talk with people who will not even accept that 9-11 was the work of Muslims.
There are many Non-muslims who believe the same thing. I don't see how it should be an obstacle to dialogue if both sides agree that it was a despicable act and that we need to foster understanding.
If a Christian kills because he thinks Christ wants him to, then either he is insane or he is killing from Christian reasons.
These terrorists have not killed because they think God wants them, but because of the political climate in the world they mistakenly feel their actions are justified.
I am happy to agree that they are not orthodox Muslims, I am happy to agree they represent a small part of the Muslim world.
And yet you call for blanket rejection of the entire Muslim world and any dialogue with Muslims.

So there are no honour killings in the Muslim world?
Totally unislamic:
http://islamtoday.com/show_detail_se...&main_cat_id=6
No corruption? No murders?
Found in every country, especially third world countries.
There is a contradiction between the condemnations of terrorism as unIslamic and the tolerance shown towards people I would call terrorists.
There is no tolerance shown to terrorists, we reject them fully.
There is also something clearly wrong with their definition of "terrorism". If suicide bombings against British people are acceptable in Iraq, I can see why a young man might think they are acceptable against British people in Britain. Can't you?
They are not acceptable anywhere.
We find criminals who happen to be Buddhists and even Buddhist monks.
And yet no Muslim scholars.
Just as crime in the Muslim world says nothing about Islam, crime in the Buddhist world says nothing about Buddhism.
Exactly. So why decieve yourself by attempting to draw a fictitious link?
Sorry but I could only find one rape case on that website.
I was referring to the ideology of mass-murder, actually.
If it is discrimination. Sikhs and Hindus do not have these problems in Britain
And yet how many times do we see Sikhism and Hinduism maligned in the media? How many times do we see Guru Nanak depicted as a terrorist? Discrimination is against Muslims.,
And yet the people who ran the mosque are happy to say they knew what was being preached.
Where have any facts been provided about what was being preached? Only unsubstantiated allegations. One rabid muslim in the community took the opportunity to lash out at one Islamic institute, blaming them for extremism and violent ideologies imported from Saudi, despite the fact that both denounce extremism:
http://www.almaghrib.org/documents/statementJune9.pdf
http://www.saudiembassy.net/ReportLi...mism_May04.pdf

But what links young Muslim men in Britain, Spain, Pakistan, Iraq, Turkey, Afghanistan, Thailand, Indonesia, and perhaps Canada? To me it looks like suicide bombs, young men, and their flawed understanding of their religion. What other causes can you pinpoint?
Let me ask you this: where were young Muslim men a few decades ago? Did they not exist? We Muslims have been here for 1400 years; why then has this phenomenon of "Muslim terror" only emerged in the past few decades after the spread of warfare, and political and societal corruption in Muslim countries? Could there be any connection? "Of course not!", The bigot would say. "Sheer coincidence!"

You make it sound as though young Muslim men are some strange alien phenomenon that have come from outerspace to earth during the past few years! Look at the largest wars in this past century - world war 1 and world war 2, the causes of the most war casualties. Where were the young Muslim men there?? The west was involved there, but not the Muslims.
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Sure it is political. But who ever said that religions can't be political?

As is explained in the 'Basics of Islam' section:

http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...hat-islam.html

Isn't this seperation between a political problem and a religious problem a false seperation?
You're confusing two things - on one hand you have the political situation of Muslims in the world, and on the other hand you have Islam's guidance in political governmental affairs. Since the latter is not being implemented anywhere in the world, raising it here is a null point.

Regards

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-25-2006, 09:01 PM
MashaAllah, interesting debate. Ansar seems to be handling it better than me.... so I guess i'm gonna spectate for a while.
And sorry if I was involved in nay 'mud-slinging'.

Danish
06-25-2006, 09:03 PM
jazakallah khair for sharing

KAding
06-25-2006, 09:28 PM
You're confusing two things - on one hand you have the political situation of Muslims in the world, and on the other hand you have Islam's guidance in political governmental affairs. Since the latter is not being implemented anywhere in the world, raising it here is a null point.

Regards
I disagree. Since those who commit these acts of terror do it in the name of Islam it is hardly a mute point. The only reason why the perceived problem of Muslims in Iraq is also the problem of Muslims in Britain is exactly because of Islamic religious doctrine on unity. That it, being Islamic Law, is not being implemented anywhere is irrelevant, since we are not dealing with state actors here. There are many Muslims who do want to implement it and attempt to do exactly that by organizing in movements. Some of these movements use peaceful means, others do not.

Ansar Al-'Adl
06-25-2006, 11:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
I disagree. Since those who commit these acts of terror do it in the name of Islam it is hardly a mute point.
I said that you're raising the political guidance of Islam here was a null point. Please show me what political legislation in Islam is involved in these acts. These acts are clearly motivated by the political situation that has arisen over the past few years.

wilberhum
06-26-2006, 08:07 PM
This is far from the first time that “Muslim leaders condemn terrorism”.
But as I see it there are two problems.
1) They always use the qualification of “Innocent Civilians”. Now according to OBL since I pay taxes, I am not an innocent civilian. OBL’s stance is never denied nor is there a definition given for “Innocent Civilians”. In fact I don’t believe there is no unified definition of what a terrorist is.
2) Terrorists are not identified. There are still millions out there praising OBL and other terrorists that murder anyone in there path, Muslim or not.

The condemnation becomes kind of empty when there are no definitions or examples.

Ansar Al-'Adl
06-26-2006, 08:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
1) They always use the qualification of “Innocent Civilians”. Now according to OBL since I pay taxes, I am not an innocent civilian. OBL’s stance is never denied nor is there a definition given for “Innocent Civilians”.
In Islam, all non-combatants are innocent and we see this in the understanding of the Prophet and his companions.
2) Terrorists are not identified.
Not so:
http://www.al-athariyyah.com/Data_Fi...fbinLaadin.pdf
http://www.salafipublications.com/sp.../GSC020003.pdf

The reasons why they are seldom identified, is because the most important thing is to condemn the actions (eg. 9/11) because that is the reason for the condemnation in the first place.

Regards

wilberhum
06-26-2006, 08:57 PM
Ansar Al-'Adl
The reasons why they are seldom identified, is because the most important thing is to condemn the actions (eg. 9/11) because that is the reason for the condemnation in the first place.
That ‘s a very short list. And if “the most important thing is to condemn the actions’, why does it, at least in practice, only apply to Muslims? Myself, I conceder it a “cheap out”. There is not a terrorist out there that is not someone’s hero. If you don’t name names and identify specific actions, then there will always be a replacement supply. As long as there is not individual condemnation, people will always think that it does not apply to there “Hero”. At least thats my openion.

Ninth_Scribe
06-27-2006, 05:36 PM
In Islam, all non-combatants are innocent and we see this in the understanding of the Prophet and his companions.

Regards
Issue: You say "In Islam" all "non-combatants" are innocent? I have to ask this question or the sake of clarity... of what crime?

I read that an Afghan who desired to convert to christianity barely escaped a death penalty. This issue presented itself while I was trying to understand how Zarqawi justified attacks against the Shia. These two issues became interlocked as: Abandoning of the religion = Treason. So whether they actually faught or put someone else up to the fighting (as Dr. Zawahiri accused Nuri Maliki of doing in his recent video tribute), really doesn't matter.

Or am I missing something here? Would love more elaboration, if you'd care to indulge me.

Ninth Scribe

Ansar Al-'Adl
06-28-2006, 05:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
That ‘s a very short list.
I could have kept looking up references and continued posting them but since only one counterexample is required to refute a claim, it wasn't necessary. Your claim that Muslim scholars are condemning with names stands refuted. Secondly, these are not nobodys I have quoted here. Shaykh Abdul-Aziz Ibn Baz was the late Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia and Shaykh Muqbil Al-Waadi'ee is the renowned Imam and Muhaddith of Yemen. Both have been described as being amongst the greatest scholars of our era with a host of scholars who have studied under them. So these statments carry a lot of weight.
And if “the most important thing is to condemn the actions’, why does it, at least in practice, only apply to Muslims?
What do you mean?

Issue: You say "In Islam" all "non-combatants" are innocent? I have to ask this question or the sake of clarity... of what crime?
Of anything which would even remote permit harm to befall them. You mention issues related to domestic penal law of an Islamic state, to be executed by the head of state after a complete judicial hearing and trial; it doesn't have the slightest thing to do with the attacks on non-combatants who are not living under an Islamic state anyway. There is no 'if's, 'and's or 'but's in this - killing noncombatants it strictly forbidden in Islam.

The apostasy issue was answered here:
http://www.islamicboard.com/refutati...-apostasy.html
Again this is a matter of state penal law - it is not for individuals to declare whomever they will an apostate and proceed with vigilante justice against them; this is categorically prohibited in Islam.

Regards

Ninth_Scribe
06-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Of anything which would even remote permit harm to befall them. You mention issues related to domestic penal law of an Islamic state, to be executed by the head of state after a complete judicial hearing and trial; it doesn't have the slightest thing to do with the attacks on non-combatants who are not living under an Islamic state anyway. There is no 'if's, 'and's or 'but's in this - killing noncombatants it strictly forbidden in Islam.

The apostasy issue was answered here:
http://www.islamicboard.com/refutati...-apostasy.html
Again this is a matter of state penal law - it is not for individuals to declare whomever they will an apostate and proceed with vigilante justice against them; this is categorically prohibited in Islam.

Regards
Thank you for your excellent elaboration. So what these Sunni and Shia military groups are doing can be construed as vigilante justice since they were not appointed to preside over these issues and there is no Islamic State who appointed them? More questions. Does such a state exist? Or is Somalia the first? The mother of all questions... How would you define an Islamic State?

Ninth Scribe

Ansar Al-'Adl
06-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Thank you for your excellent elaboration. So what these Sunni and Shia military groups are doing can be construed as vigilante justice since they were not appointed to preside over these issues and there is no Islamic State who appointed them.
I don't even think it is vigilante justice. It is just violence to gain control or to eliminate enemies. They are not trying to implement some legal punishment.
More questions. Does such a state exist? Or is Somalia the first?
No such state exists. There are efforts, but that is all for now.

Regards

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.