/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim girls speak about fashion, faith in Hijab choices

sonz
06-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Opposite to the widespread misconception that the Muslim women’s headscarf is a symbol of oppression, Itidal Hashif, 17, and other veiled Muslim youth show how faith can enhance one’s character over physical beauty, according to Hattiesburg American.

"It's a huge responsibility," said Hashif, a student who attends the Noor-UI-Iman school in South Brunswick, N.J.

Hashif’s family is from Palestine.

Many Non-Muslims regard Hijab, or the Islamic headscarf, as a symbol of oppression, embodiment of a political worldview that rejects secularism and even, for some, embraces 'Islamic extremism'.

Contrary to this view, "Hijab", which has become synonymous with "headscarf" in Western countries, is an act of obedience to Allah and to his prophet (Peace Be upon Him), requiring Muslim women to cover the entire of their bodies from head to toe, except the face and the hands, and according to some scholars, the foot, to preserve their modesty. Allah (SWT) says in the Qur’an.

“It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allah and His messenger have decreed a matter that they should have an option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger has indeed strayed in a plain error.” (Qur’an 33:36).

Allah also said:

“And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things) and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc) and not to show off their adornment except what must (ordinarily) appear thereof, that they should draw their veils over their Juyubihinna.” (Qur’an24:31).

Juyubihinna: Scholars differed whether the veil must include the hands and face or not.

Allah also said:

“O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) over their bodies (when outdoors). That is most convenient that they should be known and not molested.” (Qur’an 33:59).

Hashif suggests that today with scarves produced in different designs, shapes and sizes, and with multiple creative wrapping techniques, hijab has become, together with being a religious commitment, also an accessory.

"You have to match the headscarf with everything you're wearing," said Hashif, adding that scarves had become part of every Muslim woman's outfit.

"Wearing Hijab becomes like putting on your shoes," Hashif said.

"It feels so normal."

Also Kholoud Shaheen, 18, another American Muslim student originally from Egypt who decided to put on the veil six years ago, says:

"Some people buy outfits to match their scarves because they have so many,"

"Wearing the hijab really becomes part of your routine."

Shaheen says she buys most of her headscarves online. But sometimes she gets them from friends and relatives who travel abroad.

Finding good headscarves to wear used to be difficult in the United States, says Abir Catovic, one of the girls' teachers who began wearing the hijab in college about 20 years ago.

Muslim women’s commitment to wear the Hijab prompted companies, like Ikea, produce creative headscarves for working Muslim women.

Last year, Ikea introduced a blue and yellow hijab with the Ikea logo for employees in its Edmonton, England, store.

Also Nike is now working with the United Nations to produce athletic Hijabs.

"Last year, solid colored two-pieces were in," said Enas Fahmy, explaining the latest trends in Hijab.

Many Muslim women now started mixing two different colored scarves which makes their Hijab look unique and creative.

"When some people think of Hijab, they think of a long black robe," said Afnaan, Fahmy's oldest daughter.

"But it's not like that."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noshaba
06-25-2006, 01:33 PM
when i wore my hijaab...a christian girl approached me and said..'oh you shouldnt have taken it off.....ur hair was gorgoeus'...she thought i covered my hair because i ddint like my hair...misconceptions
salaam

Annie
06-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Salams sister
iv seen some sisters who are ashamed to were the jilbab and im disgusted by this what is wrong with wearing an jilbab.
Wassalm annie

noshaba
06-25-2006, 03:06 PM
exactly...some girl i knew used 2 wear a hijaab when she used 2 set out to come 2 school, turn in the backstreet, take it off and go 2 school...hyprocrasy at its best....may ALLAH bring knowledge into all muslims and they folow the correct path properly....INSHALLAH
:sl:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
cihad
06-25-2006, 08:09 PM
hiya
pls explain what a jilbab is.
i don't know all the names of these different things

btw paki scarves are gorgeous!

syilla
06-26-2006, 03:06 AM
Quote :

'Also Nike is now working with the United Nations to produce athletic Hijabs.'

wow this is cool...athletic Hijabs...

I wish there is swimming suit that when you when ito the water is started to to open out.

al-fateh
06-26-2006, 03:19 AM
i was wondering

some palastinian women i have seen on the soccer field have nike/addidas hijab sports wear

syilla
06-26-2006, 05:11 AM
how does it look like?

i never seen one?

ysmeenaah
06-26-2006, 05:17 AM
Great topic to discuss about. I think hijab is one's security - gives freedom & privacy. It also adds to our dignity.. jazak Allah khair.

dianputri
06-26-2006, 05:27 AM
hijab is the most confortable clothes i ever wore.
and i wont take it off whether in the street or in the field.
wherever i'm i never take it off....:)
I serious to since the first time i wore that. And Insha Allah i wont take it off until i die.

ya,,i have two kind of hijab.
first,,i wore big and long hijab when i go or gathering with my islam community or formal conditions. and usual hijab for work and go to mall or other informal conditions.

Taqiyah
06-26-2006, 06:16 AM
Asalama Alikum...
:) Yeah! Hijab is what differs us Muslim girls :sister: from the non-muslim women. My Physical education teacher once told me to take it off because he thought I wouldn't be able to do the activities like the other kids just because of my Hijab.:? But I told him it does'nt bother me at all and that I would feel unconfortable not wearing it.:happy: It turned out fine and I even had an A in that class.:giggling:

Nablus
06-26-2006, 07:40 AM
We should be proud of our islamic clothes

and we have to show others that we are convinced with our hijab and jilbab

Sis786
06-26-2006, 08:14 AM
Salaam

Some do say that the Hijab has now become a fashion acessory and this is wrong and the meaning of the Hijab has gone.

All i say is 5 years ago not many girls wore the scarf maybe do to lack of education and so on, But now Alhamdillah Birmingham is full of Hijabis and yes the new kinds of colours and styles has influenced this But people are now wearing the Hijab and are wearing it proudly.

Musaafirah
06-26-2006, 08:22 AM
I don't get it..Hijab..a fashion accessory? Is this not totally missing the objective of WHY we wear the hijab?! I mean..the whole point is to remain covered and NOT attract attention right? So, by making hjiab..err 'fashionable' it's to attract attention right?
If I'm missing the point here..someone please explain to me :muddlehea
:w:

Sis786
06-26-2006, 08:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafir
I don't get it..Hijab..a fashion accessory? Is this not totally missing the objective of WHY we wear the hijab?! I mean..the whole point is to remain covered and NOT attract attention right? So, by making hjiab..err 'fashionable' it's to attract attention right?
If I'm missing the point here..someone please explain to me :muddlehea
:w:
Thats the debate. Yes proving different colours and styles its become a fashion accessory But this has led to more people wearing it. I suppose Quality is better then Quantity.

Personally i do like my Hijab and yes i try different styles but i try to remain in the bounds of Islam and keep the true meaning of Hijab in my heart

Annie
06-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Salams sisters
I think all sisters should were a hijab and a jilbab because it is beneficial to sisters and most importantly it is farz for sisters to cover their hair and body. However if sisters are just wearing, because it is fashionable, then does this mean that as soon as it is not percieved as fashionable in society. Then arent they more likley to stop wearing it? I think sisters should make an effort to educate themselves about the importnce of the hijab and jilbab.
WASALAM
Annie

Sister_6038
06-26-2006, 10:47 AM
well just as some girls are into buying shoes or bags...im a hijab girl...and its not really a case of fashion...as fashion defines the trends that many follow....and i dont follow trends...i mean im fortunate enough to have relatives and friends who love to travel...so i get the opportunity to recieve hijabs from all over the world and this has developed into a love of the amazing hijabs that are available....wooow....i love wearing different kinds of hijabs...

as for the styles...i have found a style which means i dont have to spend half the day in the bathroom sorting out my hijab so that works fine for me

but if a sister wants to wear a hijab in a variety of styles then so be it...as long as its in accordance to islam then its all good right?

Hashim_507
06-26-2006, 11:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by noshaba
when i wore my hijaab...a christian girl approached me and said..'oh you shouldnt have taken it off.....ur hair was gorgoeus'...she thought i covered my hair because i ddint like my hair...misconceptions
salaam
:giggling: :giggling: lol

ysmeenaah
06-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Can any one of you tell me what's "jilbab" please?

glo
06-26-2006, 12:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
how does it look like?

i never seen one?
Here's a site with sports hijabs ...
http://www.thehijabshop.com/capsters/index.php

peace.

06-26-2006, 12:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ysmeenaah
Can any one of you tell me what's "jilbab" please?
The long covering that u wear over ur clothes when going out also known as burka

syilla
06-27-2006, 01:47 AM
thank you glo...

the tennis hijab is so cute...

bint_muhammed
06-27-2006, 09:43 PM
there is nothing with wearing different hijab, coz personally i do, i have different colours etc. however we should always keep in mind it doesnt attract to much attention and its purpose is forgotton! like the prophet once said always take the middle path! (something like that lol)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.