/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Culture more dominant in a persons life than thier religion

Annie
06-25-2006, 06:42 PM
:sl:
From my personael perspective, i think culture is over shadowing islam in peoples lifes in todays society.This is because nowadays most people make decisions in their life, based on culture values and principles and because of this people suffer.
For example forced marriges is haram in islam, but how many muslim parents force thier daughters into marrige and ignore the teachings of the Quarn and hadith.Therfore a person should live their life according to the teachings of islam and people who do this will live a more peace full life.
:w:
Annie

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
HeiGou
06-25-2006, 06:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Annie
For example forced marriges is haram in islam, but how many muslim parents force thier daughters into marrige and ignore the teachings of the Quarn and hadith.Therfore a person should live their life according to the teachings of islam and people who do this will live a more peace full life.
I am interested why you think forced marriage are haram in Islam? As I understand it, which is, I admit, not saying much, a girl must be asked for her consent if she is not a virgin. But that does not mean that doing it is haram. Surely it can just be bad without being forbidden?

bint_muhammed
06-25-2006, 08:48 PM
hello annie you managed to come on! i know its soooo sad, they get mixed up with culture and religion!
heigou actually islam doesnt permit forced marriages even when the women isnt a virgin! this is like annie is saying is cultural, it common amongst pakistanis where if they catch agirl up to no good, they'll take her back home and marry her off! however islam doent teach this. in our culture if we were up to no good we would get murderd, so i think some pakistanis have it better off lol. (joke)

Pk_#2
06-25-2006, 08:58 PM
AsalamuAlaykum,

Yeah i guess sometimes peopke take culture seriously, when in fact they shouldn't so much, cause then they follow culture over religion and it becomes a habit, well actually becomes the norm..

A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) reported: "I asked Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) about a virgin whose marriage is solemnized by her guardian, whether it was necessary or not to consult her. Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: 'Yes, she must be consulted.' A'isha reported: "I told him that she feels shy," whereupon Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: 'Her silence implies her consent.'" (Sahih Muslim, Book 8, Hadith 3305)

WalaykumSalaam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ansar Al-'Adl
06-25-2006, 11:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
I am interested why you think forced marriage are haram in Islam? As I understand it, which is, I admit, not saying much, a girl must be asked for her consent if she is not a virgin. But that does not mean that doing it is haram.
No, forced marriages are haraam.
Al-Khansaa’ bint Khidaam complained to the Prophet that her father wanted her to marry someone she didn’t want, saying “I do not wish to accept what my father has arranged.” The Prophet said, “Then this marriage is INVALID, go and marry whomever you wish.” Al-Khansaa’ said, “I had actually accepted what my father has arranged, but I wanted women to know that fathers have no right in their daughter’s matters” (i.e. they have no right to force a marriage on them). (Fath Al-Barî Ibn Hajr, Sunan Ibn Mâjah)

syilla
06-26-2006, 01:07 AM
i think culture is wonderful...(the islamic one of course)

for example...here we have to take off our shoes before going into the house.

Wahid
06-26-2006, 01:22 AM
salaam
That’s really truth, culture especially stories from parent and families that are taken as truth can bring a lot of shirk

i know first hand.

Muslim Knight
06-26-2006, 01:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
No, forced marriages are haraam.
Al-Khansaa’ bint Khidaam complained to the Prophet that her father wanted her to marry someone she didn’t want, saying “I do not wish to accept what my father has arranged.” The Prophet said, “Then this marriage is INVALID, go and marry whomever you wish.” Al-Khansaa’ said, “I had actually accepted what my father has arranged, but I wanted women to know that fathers have no right in their daughter’s matters” (i.e. they have no right to force a marriage on them). (Fath Al-Barî Ibn Hajr, Sunan Ibn Mâjah)
Bro Ansar, does this mean that when a person is forced into marriage, that marriage is null and void? And that the married couple will be living in state of zina? Can you please clarify on this further? Thank you.

lolwatever
06-26-2006, 01:54 AM
Edit

lolwatever
06-26-2006, 01:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Annie
:sl:
From my personael perspective, i think culture is over shadowing islam in peoples lifes in todays society.This is because nowadays most people make decisions in their life, based on culture values and principles and because of this people suffer.
:w:
Annie
yeh culture can be a stinker at times... the Quran talks about this "We have foudn our forefathers on a path, and we are on their path in obedience..."

lolwatever
06-26-2006, 02:39 AM
omg checkout verse 104 surat maida, it talks exactlyyyyy about this lol amazing
salam

Woodrow
06-26-2006, 02:57 AM
Culture really can have more influence on a person then religion. Although the opposite should be what we strive for. Once a person establishes a strong set of reliegious beliefs the influence of culture will become controlable, but it can not be escaped or ignored. It is only through a conciencious effort can a person allow religion to influence their life more then society and culture will.

Culture equates to environment. We might live in a steaming jungle or above the artic circle. the weather will have a strong bearing on our clothing choices. We can not escape that. However, religion will play a role into how the necessary clothing is designed.

So it is with the culture of society. Each society has a set of mores and values, those will determine what limits are socialy acceptable. That is a simple explanation of culture. That is what a person will be exposed to every minute they are out in public or interact with members of society in any manner. Unless a person is to become an absolute recluse and live the life of a hermit, they will be exposed to the culture. Their own sense of values will determine how much the culture will influence them.

searchingsoul
07-13-2006, 07:19 AM
I think culture is far more dominant in a persons life than their religion. I've noticed that different cultures take the same religion and concoct different meanings. That's why it's difficult to define a christian, or define a muslim. They are all so different! Keeping this in mind I think it's best to respect religious differences.

lolwatever
07-18-2006, 09:45 AM
^^ i dont understand dude..

Maybe it's hard to define a 2006 christian, but it's straight forward to define a Muslim really... someone who accepts there is no diety worthy of worhsip but Allah adn Muhammad is his final messenger.. and that entails following whatever Allah has ordered and leaving whatever we where commanded to abstain from...

Sis786
07-18-2006, 11:33 AM
I am a Pakistani Muslim (well my parents are pakistanis) and i agree that Culture is more of a driving force in todays society then Religion.

Culture has created the boundries that our religion Islam has broken down...i.e in my culture its frown upon to marry someone outside the cutlure then in the culture we have the seperate spilts i.e Pathaan, Punjabi etc etc..

To gain peace and to gain the oneness this Ummah requires we need to leave our culture and concentrate on Islam alone..

Most of the culture that Pakistanis have and follow are something that the Skihs and Hindus follow, and this was due to the fact that time ago three religious groups lived togther.

A perfect example is the marriage ceremony for Pakistani muslims which is full of traditions that the Sikhs and Hindus do..i.e Mehndi, Mahnia, Doli ..etc etc

lolwatever
07-20-2006, 04:05 AM
^^ Omg u couldn't hav said it better, man may Allah curse the notion of culture it's soooooooo sickening and annoying and irritating.

nothing wrong with CUSTOMS, but i hate CULTURE.

even the prophet said that will be one thing that will remain from jahiliyyah with his ummah.. disgusting

salams

nennar
07-20-2006, 10:37 AM
salaam alaikum!

:sister: you are so right! its culture , more than islam that force arranged marriages.... its not in islam....... so heigou! again you speak off something you dont know anything about!

yes normaly the girl/woman has the right to say no...... but more and more the parties involved has no say in it:cry:

HeiGou
07-20-2006, 10:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nennar
:sister: you are so right! its culture , more than islam that force arranged marriages.... its not in islam....... so heigou! again you speak off something you dont know anything about!
Really? And again? Culture may make forced marriages possible, but it must follow that Islam allows it or they would not happen. Christianity has always strongly opposed forced, or even arranged, marriages and they make adulthood and full and free consent a pre-condition for marriage. Doesn't stop them all, but if you look at the Christian world you can see it stops a lot. Islamic law does not require adulthood or full and free consent. A young girl may be married without her consent as long as she keeps quiet. Even if that marriage is later annulled, was it invalid before? Did her "husband" commit a crime or a sin? Is he to be stoned to death for adultery? Are the children, if any, illegitimate? That looks like a perfectly valid marriage to me - even if Islam condemns forced marriages.

yes normaly the girl/woman has the right to say no...... but more and more the parties involved has no say in it
But does Islamic law allow a girl to exercise her right to say no? If a Father can kill a daughter without consequence can she be said to have any real right to say no? Can a Father kill his daughter without consequences in Muslim countries?

nennar
07-20-2006, 11:11 AM
salaam alaikum!

off cause ! normaly the girl have the right to say no or yes! ... and al hamdoulillah! for that... but in many small soceitys its not like that!... so its good if its not like this for the christians!..... but sometimes you just write something , for writing and dont even think before you do it...... thats something i think you need to work on brother heigou

lolwatever
07-20-2006, 11:12 AM
wowwww wow wow heigou!
lets hold it there for a sec

Culture is what causes some parents to object to their kid marrying someone else, you seem to claim that 'the cultureu wouldnt dictate that if it wasnt that Islam had some hand behind that'... if that's the case.. why does Islam give full right to the kid to get soemone else to sort out theri case if their parents rely on cultural arguments?

now if we apply that to arranged marriages.. the hadith clearly says that the amrriage is void, the marriage is void, the marriage is void (3 times) if the girl's permission isn't saught.. int he case of the virgin, her quietness is a sign of her acceptance.. becasue taht was teh custom.

However if she keeps quiet even when teh whole process is taking place, then that's foolish of her if she doesn't speak up or atleast doesn't show some unhapiness on her face! Nothing to do with Islam imposing the marriage on her!

As for your last part.. if a father kills his daughter because seh wants to marry someone then it's the father who gets sinned, he might not be punished in this world becaue of the political situation today, but he will be punished in the hereafter!

The girl has full right to get married, and so does the boy. Checkout the thread abotu whether the girl needing a wali for marriage and there's i think enough fatwa backed by evidence to show that she doesn't need her parents permission if she's got Islamically valid reasons for wanting to marry a certain individual... same goes for the boy.

I'm offended you attributed that to Islam!! :offended

nennar
07-20-2006, 11:12 AM
salaam alaikum!

its easy for me to see that you dont even take your time to learn about islam

HeiGou
07-20-2006, 11:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
Culture is what causes some parents to object to their kid marrying someone else, you seem to claim that 'the cultureu wouldnt dictate that if it wasnt that Islam had some hand behind that'... if that's the case.. why does Islam give full right to the kid to get soemone else to sort out theri case if their parents rely on cultural arguments?
Exactly how does Islam allow children to get someone else to handle their case if their parents rely on cultural arguments? I assume that Islam accepts that not all parents will be pious and so provides an escape, but what if the parent is smart enough to phrase their decision in Islamic terms?

now if we apply that to arranged marriages.. the hadith clearly says that the amrriage is void, the marriage is void, the marriage is void (3 times) if the girl's permission isn't saught.. int he case of the virgin, her quietness is a sign of her acceptance.. becasue taht was teh custom.
Void is not the same as annulled. The quietness is backed by Hadith isn't it? So it is more than custom, it is Islamic law no? The question remains - if a child is born from such a marriage is it illegitimate? Surely the marriage is a valid marriage between the time it takes place and the girl gets it voided?

However if she keeps quiet even when teh whole process is taking place, then that's foolish of her if she doesn't speak up or atleast doesn't show some unhapiness on her face! Nothing to do with Islam imposing the marriage on her!
I am not saying that Islam imposes a marriage on her. I am saying it provides a loophole that people can use to get what they want. Foolish? If a Father says to a nine year old girl "if you say a word I'll beat you until you can't walk" and she is terrified that is foolishness? So what if she shows unhappiness on her face - does that prohibit a marriage?

As for your last part.. if a father kills his daughter because seh wants to marry someone then it's the father who gets sinned, he might not be punished in this world becaue of the political situation today, but he will be punished in the hereafter!
He may, but can he get away with it in this world? Holding out threats of punishment in the next world does not stop this because the sort of men who do it are those who don't care enough about the next world anyway, or are so sure they are right they don't think they will be punished in the next world. But let's just say instead of killing her, he beats her until she is cripplied for life.

The girl has full right to get married, and so does the boy. Checkout the thread abotu whether the girl needing a wali for marriage and there's i think enough fatwa backed by evidence to show that she doesn't need her parents permission if she's got Islamically valid reasons for wanting to marry a certain individual... same goes for the boy.
Actually I thought that thread showed that she does need her parents' permission. Can't a Father simply order his child to be divorced anyway?

I'm offended you attributed that to Islam!! :offended
I am sorry you're offended, but I don't think I am attributing that to Islam. It is just that I think Islam shapes custom and custom shapes the way people see Islam. Different claim.

lolwatever
07-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Exactly how does Islam allow children to get someone else to handle their case if their parents rely on cultural arguments? I assume that Islam accepts that not all parents will be pious and so provides an escape, but what if the parent is smart enough to phrase their decision in Islamic terms?

Luckily in Islam the kid has the chance to validate and check whether his parents reasons are indeed Islamic or not. Some parents rant that 'loving ur country is half of your faith', the kid can either blind follow, or he can go and check for himself whether that hadith is authentic or a load of....

Void is not the same as annulled. The quietness is backed by Hadith isn't it? So it is more than custom, it is Islamic law no? The question remains - if a child is born from such a marriage is it illegitimate? Surely the marriage is a valid marriage between the time it takes place and the girl gets it voided?

Ok i'll say it's an Islamic law, if she's quiet and seems unhappy then that's evidence enough of her rejection, that's assumed understanding, if you take it literally that's your problem. And between her quietness and the marriage is a period of time, as short or as long as it may be, if she's letting the current take her wherever ti pleases, then who is to blame? The parents are following the Islamic law, she knows it's her right to say no or show some sign of unhapiness or tell her friend to tell her parents or something, i think its naive to think what you said.

Hence the second part of the question 'if a kid is born', is actually very irrelevent. One thing though, the marriage is actually anulled if she choses that to be the case. The girl actually has the right to cancel the marriage and leave if she was coerced into it. But if she was quiet all the way through, i think that's foolishness and she wasnt coerced into anything. And i don't think any such girl is as naiive as u make it sound!

I am not saying that Islam imposes a marriage on her. I am saying it provides a loophole that people can use to get what they want. Foolish? If a Father says to a nine year old girl "if you say a word I'll beat you until you can't walk" and she is terrified that is foolishness? So what if she shows unhappiness on her face - does that prohibit a marriage?

If a father does say that, she's got every right to run to a qadhi or someone or state organisation in authority to take care of her. And the father will be rehabilitated accordingly. Today that right is snatcehd from Muslim because there is no such facility or reliable authority to lean onto.

If she shows unhapiness on her face it does prohibit the marriage.. read any book of fiqh and they go on for ever about ways a girl can reject, most of them are not necessarily because she said anything.

He may, but can he get away with it in this world? Holding out threats of punishment in the next world does not stop this because the sort of men who do it are those who don't care enough about the next world anyway, or are so sure they are right they don't think they will be punished in the next world. But let's just say instead of killing her, he beats her until she is cripplied for life.

It's nto a matter of whether he believes or doesn't believe in teh hereafter. It's abotu whether or not he will be brought to justice, we know for fact he will. And we're not saying 'let him do wat he pleases allah will sort him out'.. in an Islamic state he'll be dealt with very severely for being an irresponsible father... but where is the Islamic state today?

Actually I thought that thread showed that she does need her parents' permission. Can't a Father simply order his child to be divorced anyway?

It's nothing to do with permission, its about her needing a guardian to manage the affair, not to decide for her. The only 'yes' or 'no' the parents can use is as far as the suitability of the brother who proposes ISLAMICALLY. So if a theif proposes to her and they say no, then that's when permission kicks in. otherwise, the parents are suppose to listen and obey and be happy as long as the brother is islamically compatable.. that thread explains in more detail..

I am sorry you're offended, but I don't think I am attributing that to Islam. It is just that I think Islam shapes custom and custom shapes the way people see Islam. Different claim.
It's simple.. islam has nothing worng with customs as long as they're not against Islamic teachings. the rest is to be thrown in the tip.

HeiGou
07-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Luckily in Islam the kid has the chance to validate and check whether his parents reasons are indeed Islamic or not. Some parents rant that 'loving ur country is half of your faith', the kid can either blind follow, or he can go and check for himself whether that hadith is authentic or a load of....
But that is not the issue. Suppose a parent says "I am marrying you to X because he is a pious Muslim" but daughter Y does not like X nor wants to marry him. What can she do?

Ok i'll say it's an Islamic law, if she's quiet and seems unhappy then that's evidence enough of her rejection, that's assumed understanding, if you take it literally that's your problem. And between her quietness and the marriage is a period of time, as short or as long as it may be, if she's letting the current take her wherever ti pleases, then who is to blame? The parents are following the Islamic law, she knows it's her right to say no or show some sign of unhapiness or tell her friend to tell her parents or something, i think its naive to think what you said.
Where is the evidence that it is enough if she just seems unhappy? Either way it is not my problem because I am not faced by the issues of Islamic marriages. The question is whether parents can use these rules to get what they want whether it is Islamic or not. She gets married, she is taken against her will to her husband's home, she is not allowed out, she is beaten, and you are saying it is her fault? I also assume you are now agreeing that for that period of time it is a valid legal marriage? We are talking about 12 year old girls from cultures where honour killings and beatings are not exactly unknown. Just how does a 12 year old argue with her father about what she really wants? If fathers listened to that my nieces would have chocolate ice cream for dinner every night!

Hence the second part of the question 'if a kid is born', is actually very irrelevent.
No it is not. It is at the heart of the issue. If a child is born then surely either a marriage existed or adultery took place. Which is it?

If a father does say that, she's got every right to run to a qadhi or someone or state organisation in authority to take care of her. And the father will be rehabilitated accordingly. Today that right is snatcehd from Muslim because there is no such facility or reliable authority to lean onto.
At 12? Just how does a 12 year old fight with her Father in this way? What makes you think that the qadi or any state authority would side with her? This is culture remember - a lot of qadis share that culture. Are we agreed that a Father can say to his daughter that he will beat her if she does not go through with the wedding and there is nothing in the law that says he cannot?

If she shows unhapiness on her face it does prohibit the marriage.. read any book of fiqh and they go on for ever about ways a girl can reject, most of them are not necessarily because she said anything.
Can you give me a reference to one?

It's nto a matter of whether he believes or doesn't believe in teh hereafter. It's abotu whether or not he will be brought to justice, we know for fact he will. And we're not saying 'let him do wat he pleases allah will sort him out'.. in an Islamic state he'll be dealt with very severely for being an irresponsible father... but where is the Islamic state today?
The idea that he may be brought to justice in the next life is unlikely to be a big comfort to many. What is the evidence that he would be brought to justice in a proper Islamic state? Where are the judicial decisions that would support that claim?

It's simple.. islam has nothing worng with customs as long as they're not against Islamic teachings. the rest is to be thrown in the tip.
True and so what is the problem with Arranged marriages? Surely they are acceptable as long as they don't go too far into being Forced and they can go a long way into being Forced and still be acceptable.

KAding
07-20-2006, 01:57 PM
^^ Omg u couldn't hav said it better, man may Allah curse the notion of culture it's soooooooo sickening and annoying and irritating.

nothing wrong with CUSTOMS, but i hate CULTURE.

even the prophet said that will be one thing that will remain from jahiliyyah with his ummah.. disgusting

salams
I don't think you hate culture ;). Islam is very much part of most Muslim countries culture, so saying you hate the culture makes no sense. You only hate 'culture' that is not Islamic.

It's the same confusion that arrises (with me anyhow) when Muslims say they dislike nationalism, that it is haram. They don't dislike nationalism, they only 'hate' it as long as it is not Islamic nationalism. Islam is highly nationalistic.

lolwatever
07-20-2006, 09:30 PM
But that is not the issue. Suppose a parent says "I am marrying you to X because he is a pious Muslim" but daughter Y does not like X nor wants to marry him. What can she do?

She can reject if she wants, and the hadith of khansa that bro ansar mentioned in the first page clearly shows that. What i'm saying is, as long as the brother is religious, the parents can't say NO. But she can.

Where is the evidence that it is enough if she just seems unhappy? Either way it is not my problem because I am not faced by the issues of Islamic marriages. The question is whether parents can use these rules to get what they want whether it is Islamic or not. She gets married, she is taken against her will to her husband's home, she is not allowed out, she is beaten, and you are saying it is her fault? I also assume you are now agreeing that for that period of time it is a valid legal marriage? We are talking about 12 year old girls from cultures where honour killings and beatings are not exactly unknown. Just how does a 12 year old argue with her father about what she really wants? If fathers listened to that my nieces would have chocolate ice cream for dinner every night!

And that's the point of this thread, Culture is unforuntaely more dominant in a person's life thant heir religion. So it's culture that causes all what you mentioned, Islam is clearly against it. If the parent is threatening her to get beaten, if that's not beign coerced, then what is?!? same goes if the parents are terrorizing her or forcing her to marry someone just becasue he is religious without HER permission.

No it is not. It is at the heart of the issue. If a child is born then surely either a marriage existed or adultery took place. Which is it?

If you told somoene to sign a document where they ought to give you 1000 euros in cash, and they signed it and kept quiet about it. And they didn't show any sign of unhapiness or unease, that definately is foolishness on part of the person who kept quiet and he definately was not coerced. He was just being stupid. Same applies to a girl who is willing to let an entire engagement period or marriage process go on and she's quiet about it!! In that case, the kid born is definately not born is not considered to be one from adultery.

That's as far as that rare case is concerned. But as i said, in a non culture based family, the girl has no obligations whatsoever to choose whatever her parents impose on her. I repeat, in a non culture based environment.. if the family has the cultural mentality, that's their problem, not Islam's.

At 12? Just how does a 12 year old fight with her Father in this way? What makes you think that the qadi or any state authority would side with her? This is culture remember - a lot of qadis share that culture. Are we agreed that a Father can say to his daughter that he will beat her if she does not go through with the wedding and there is nothing in the law that says he cannot?

Huh wat do you mean? Just because she's 12 doesnt mean she doesn't have a right to accept or reject. Erm the erason why i was saying you don't find that facility and luxury today is because the qadhi's and states are crooks instead of proper Islamic based organisations... hence why i said "Today that right is snatcehd from Muslim because there is no such facility or reliable authority to lean onto."

Can you give me a reference to one?

"Parents forcing their daughter into marriage"
http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...&QR=4602&dgn=4
"She was forced to marry someone she did not want"
http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...QR=47439&dgn=4

as for the ways of rejecting, ill lookup for transaltions of fiqh books, i'm not conviniently trying to by pass it.. there really barely are any fiqh books online! i will get back to you on that though whether i do or do not find.

The idea that he may be brought to justice in the next life is unlikely to be a big comfort to many. What is the evidence that he would be brought to justice in a proper Islamic state? Where are the judicial decisions that would support that claim?

The Above two articles show that was the case way back in the time of the prophet which is the best example of judicial execution of that ruling, as well as in the time of the four imams (abu hanifah et al) and in any era where it was Islam and not culture that was implemented.

True and so what is the problem with Arranged marriages? Surely they are acceptable as long as they don't go too far into being Forced and they can go a long way into being Forced and still be acceptable.
You're implying there that they can go 'to a small extent' in forcing the kids, and that's also not true, the links i posted above show that. If you mean arranged marriage to be the one where teh parents find some person for their son/daughter, and then offer that person to their kids, as long as the son/daughter is happy with it then its fine.. otherwise its void and can be anulled by the kid.

lolwatever
07-20-2006, 09:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
I don't think you hate culture ;). Islam is very much part of most Muslim countries culture, so saying you hate the culture makes no sense. You only hate 'culture' that is not Islamic..
Yep you're right i was wrong, thanks for that clarification :).

It's the same confusion that arrises (with me anyhow) when Muslims say they dislike nationalism, that it is haram. They don't dislike nationalism, they only 'hate' it as long as it is not Islamic nationalism. Islam is highly nationalistic
lol that's very not true, how so? The prophet got really upset when he saw the aws and khazraj (two tribes in madinah) about to fight over something silly and he said 'are you fighting already when i'm still amonsgt u? verily the one remaining thing that shall stay in my ummah from ignorance is tribalism"

and there's a hadith that says 'leave nationalism, for it is smelly'.

take care all the best

searchingsoul
07-27-2006, 01:00 AM

Maybe it's hard to define a 2006 christian, but it's straight forward to define a Muslim really... someone who accepts there is no diety worthy of worhsip but Allah adn Muhammad is his final messenger.. and that entails following whatever Allah has ordered and leaving whatever we where commanded to abstain from...
Actually there are MANY differences in Muslim thought. Diversity doesn't belong to Christianity alone.

GARY
07-27-2006, 01:24 AM

That is a pretty broad ranging description of what a muslim is, and certainly does not make apparent the diversity in the muslim community.
When this same type of broad discription is applied to christianity, which you have used in comparison, the same could be said for that religion.
For example; "It's straight forward to define a christian really... someone who accepts that Jesus Christ is the son of God, and that salvation is possible only through him." Now, we know that generally speaking this describes christians, but there is much diversity and the definition is a little more difficult at times.
The same can be said for muslims.

lolwatever
07-27-2006, 09:26 AM
^^ Heya searchingsoul n gary

I disagree, the protestants and catholics seem to have fundamental differences. I'm sure it turns out that one of them will be closer to what original teachings of jesus where.. (or maybe not.. i dont know). But whether or not a "true christian" can be defiend wasn't my point.

But what's important is, you've got this ocean of ideologies and sects and all these mind-boggling theories that engulf Islam and Muslims, and.. drowns alot of Muslims in them too.

But if you just pretend for a minute that none of that exists.. and you pickup the two fundamental sources, Quran and Hadith, it doesn't take much of a brain to figure out what Islam is about and its point.

And really.. if anyone takes a serious read into other sects or culture based religion or whatever its called... most of them don't even try to base their views on anythign that's remotely to do with Hadith or Quran.. and i'm pretty serious.. And the prophet made it clear.. Muslims will split up into 73 sects, all of them in hell except one... and in the other hadith, he made it clear which will endup in Jannah.. the ones that stick to the sources.

so it's that "club" that i was talking about, the ones who stick to the basics. It's not hard to define a a proper Muslim like that :)

tc all the best

ps: heigou, there's actually not a single fiqh book i found online, i'm still searching and ill get bak 2u as soon as i find.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.