/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Should Turkey be allowed to join the EU?

dostpost
06-26-2006, 11:15 AM
Should Turkey be allowed to join the EU?

Christian Europiens' answer is simple : NO! ;D (brains of the middle ages)

But i want to learn islamic Europiens' opinion. also world's opinion.

lets vote ;D

you can select multiple.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lolwatever
06-26-2006, 11:21 AM
i say what erbakan said. ;)

except that im referring to islamic middle east of a few centuries ago, he wasnt.

dostpost
06-26-2006, 11:37 AM
where do you know erbakan from?

lolwatever
06-26-2006, 11:39 AM
lol come on bro.. just coz i'm not turk (or maybe i am :p - jk) dont mean i dont know about their politics hehe

top bloke mashalah :statisfie , done his best, but the constants of history ran their course

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
dostpost
06-26-2006, 11:46 AM
"the great islamic middle east" project is only a dream. look at middle east, arabians culturs are fighting each other. so christians and others (USA, Britanian and Israel ) benefit from this.

Hashim_507
06-26-2006, 12:01 PM
Turkey should join the EU, their fed up with middle east conflicts.

Skillganon
06-26-2006, 03:38 PM
I don't know why Turkey wants to join E.U?
Has not Turkey done enough sucking upto the west to get you into the E.U?

Trumble
06-26-2006, 06:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mustklc
Christian Europiens' answer is simple : NO! ;D (brains of the middle ages)
Rubbish... please make at least a rudimentary attempt to establish the facts before insulting anybody.

If it was 'no' in the way you suggest, the question of Turkish membership would never have arisen, let alone negotiations forTurkish membership starting. Some are 'for, and some 'against'. In the case of the latter, while religion is a factor in some countries, in others it has far more to economics (especially free movement of "cheap" labour) and Turkey's human rights record.

format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
I don't know why Turkey wants to join E.U?
Has not Turkey done enough sucking upto the west to get you into the E.U?
The EU is primarily an economic partnership; it is not a social club. 'Sucking up' is not necessary to join, fulfilling certain economic and political criteria is. As to the Turks, they wish to join because they believe it to be in their economic best interests. They are probably right.

Woodrow
06-26-2006, 06:03 PM
It is not logical for Turkey to even want to be in the EU. First and foremost they are not a European Nation. Turkey needs to side with it's neighbors, not side with an organization that would have an agenda that will not always be in Turkey's best interest. If Turkey desires to join aTrade Union, perhaps they should look closer to home and help uplift the staus of their Brothers.

guyabano
06-26-2006, 06:22 PM
The should stay outside, coz they are really a burden for the EU !, and for sure, they are in no way compatible with the rest of the EU !
As one mentionned already, they should go, and help their muslim brothers and make the desert fertile ! :giggling:

Trumble
06-26-2006, 06:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
It is not logical for Turkey to even want to be in the EU.
They obviously think it is perfectly "logical"!

First and foremost they are not a European Nation.
Other than a tiny piece of territory, no. That point is a favourite for the "anti" contingent in the existing EU countries, too. It is, however, irrelevant. As I said it is an economic partnership - it doesn't matter whether Turkey is "European", "Asian" or even "Middle-Eastern". If the name "European Union" is a problem, a stroke of a pen will solve it, and denying Turkey membership because of a few lines in an atlas is utterly absurd.

Turkey needs to side with it's neighbors, not side with an organization that would have an agenda that will not always be in Turkey's best interest.
Oddly, many Brits say much the same thing about the EU ("neighbours" in this case being a cultural reference to the Americans, Australians, etc). The trouble is, with twenty five members already (and more to come) it never can be 'always' in anybody's best interests. Sometimes those interests conflict. The whole point is to come to the best compromise you can on individual issues so that overall everybody benefits.

If Turkey desires to join aTrade Union, perhaps they should look closer to home and help uplift the staus of their Brothers.
They don't want to uplift others, they want to uplift themselves. A quick comparison of the Gross National Products of the EU compared with Syria, Iraq, Iran (and Armenia and Georgia) is sufficient to show such a trade group could never benefit Turkey, and would probably collapse their economy propping up the others.

diverdown
06-26-2006, 08:59 PM
Turkey wants to join the E.U. because they are smart enough to know the Middle East is screwed up. Who would want to 'hitch thier wagon' to a mess like that.

Vishnu
06-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Would Turkey accept the Euro as there currency then?;D

snakelegs
06-27-2006, 02:04 AM
i voted for #4, though i would've prefered "YES - why not?" as an option.

north_malaysian
06-27-2006, 08:30 AM
Turkey should join Asia. Remember Islam will rise from the east.

KAding
06-27-2006, 11:27 AM
I also voted for #4, although I believe the answer is framed wrongly. I don't care whether Turkey has a powerful military, thats not really what the EU is about and they are already in NATO after all.

I think making Turkey a succesful modern nation with a secular constitution is in the best interest of both sides. I think of all Muslim nations Turkey is probably already one of the most succesful. Maybe a prosperous Turkey can be an example to others and radiate some stability towards the mess that is the Middle East. Thats why its strategic location does matter.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.