/* */

PDA

View Full Version : US Military Deems Homosexuality a 'Mental Disorder'

sonz
06-26-2006, 12:01 PM
US Military Deems Homosexuality a 'Mental Disorder'

by Jerome Bernard

US lawmakers have called on the US Defense Department to withdraw a document which states that homosexuality is a "mental disorder."

Researchers recently found the Pentagon's directive 1332.38, on "physical disability evaluation," which includes homosexuality in a list of "mental disorders," along with mental retardation and personality disorders.

The November 1996 document was re-certified as "current" in 2003, according to the Center for the Study of Sexual Minorities in the Military at the University of California, Santa Barbara.

"It is disappointing that certain Department of Defense instructions include homosexuality as a 'mental disorder' more than 30 years after the mental health community recognized that such a classification was a mistake," Representative Marty Meehan of Massachusetts said Tuesday.

"There is no scientific basis for such a classification, which leads me to believe that the classification is motivated by something more sinister," he added.

Meehan and eight other members of Congress sent a letter to Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on Monday calling for changes.

They said "any inadvertent outdated language" should be updated so that military regulations are consistent "and in keeping with the American Psychiatric Association's stance reaffirming that 'homosexuality per se implies no impairment in judgment, stability, reliability or general social and vocational capabilities.'"

Lieutenant Colonel Jeremy Martin, a Pentagon spokesman, told AFP the document is "currently under review."

The lawmakers also called for a general review of the US military's policies and medical regulations. They estimated that there are about 65,000 homosexual and bisexual members of the US armed forces.

Since 1993, he said the US military has had a "don't ask, don't tell" policy under which gays and lesbians are tolerated as long as they do not make their sexual orientation public. Openly homosexual soldiers are forced to leave the service.

According to a Congress watchdog report released last year, the US Army has spent 200 million dollars in 10 years to replace the estimated 10,000 homosexual soldiers forced to leave the military.

Source: Agence France Presse

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sis786
06-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Im sure there was an Hadith that this is a sign of Qayamat. When someone will do an evil act and we would be led to believe that it is mental and we could not help oursleves. I think it was in one of Sheikh Hamza Yusuf's CD's

Vishnu
06-26-2006, 12:14 PM
At least you won't be beheaded if you have are homosexual in the USA.

Isaac
06-26-2006, 12:20 PM
+o(

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sis786
06-26-2006, 12:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ganeshsikkim
Usually the other way round there if you normal then you beheaded there!

glo
06-26-2006, 12:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sis786
Im sure there was an Hadith that this is a sign of Qayamat. When someone will do an evil act and we would be led to believe that it is mental and we could not help oursleves. I think it was in one of Sheikh Hamza Yusuf's CD's
Out of interest - and not really wishing to spark another homosexuality debate - how does Islam view homosexuality?

1. as a 'mental disorder' as the article suggests? OR
2. a learned behaviour and conscious life choice? OR
3. a condition a person is born with? OR
4. a combination of the above? OR
5. something else ...

Peace.

Muslim Knight
06-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Alhamdulillah the punishment for homosexuality in Islam isn't beheading. I'd sure like to know which religion imposes such.

Vishnu
06-26-2006, 12:53 PM
The Sahaabah were unanimously agreed on the execution of homosexuals, but they differed as to how they were to be executed. Some of them were of the view that they should be burned with fire, which was the view of ‘Ali, and also of Abu Bakr as we shall see below. And some of them thought that they should be thrown down from a high place then have stones thrown at them. This was the view of Ibn ‘Abbaas.

Some of them thought that they should be stoned to death, which was narrated from both ‘Ali and Ibn ‘Abbaas.

http://www.islamonline.net/discussio...?messageID=849

Muslim Knight
06-26-2006, 12:54 PM
The Sahaabah were unanimously agreed on the execution of homosexuals, but they differed as to how they were to be executed. Some of them were of the view that they should be burned with fire, which was the view of ‘Ali, and also of Abu Bakr as we shall see below. And some of them thought that they should be thrown down from a high place then have stones thrown at them. This was the view of Ibn ‘Abbaas.

Some of them thought that they should be stoned to death, which was narrated from both ‘Ali and Ibn ‘Abbaas.
You should provide sources from authentic hadiths or fatawa.

Vishnu
06-26-2006, 12:56 PM
I just edited it in.

Isaac
06-26-2006, 01:32 PM
+o(

Abdulwaheed
06-26-2006, 02:30 PM
i learnt in my psychology class that homosexuality is a combination of childhood events and chemical imbalances in the brain that causes same gender attraction

Kidman
06-26-2006, 02:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdulwaheed
i learnt in my psychology class that homosexuality is a combination of childhood events and chemical imbalances in the brain that causes same gender attraction
Yep, that's why it's a mental Disorder, and all homosexuals need to be institutionalized and treated till they get better, and not have rights and wonder the streets and be proud of their mental disorder...

Kidman

Taqiyah
06-26-2006, 03:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kidman
Yep, that's why it's a mental Disorder, and all homosexuals need to be institutionalized and treated till they get better, and not have rights and wonder the streets and be proud of their mental disorder...

Kidman

Well.......I don't think Homosexuals see it that way:heated: ....Some of my classmates are homosexual and they told me that they were all born that way and that it is not somekinda disorder:rollseyes ....believe me they r actually proud they r homosexuals+o( .....eeeeeeeeeeew...

Isaac
06-26-2006, 03:28 PM
i was at school a long time ago and red something on the table. "God made Adam and Eve, NOT Adam and Steve".;D

Taqiyah
06-26-2006, 03:31 PM
:giggling: Wow! believe me I saw something like that on the internet only that it was'nt Steve..it was "God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Evan";D
loooooooool

Kidman
06-26-2006, 04:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Taqiyah
Well.......I don't think Homosexuals see it that way:heated: ....Some of my classmates are homosexual and they told me that they were all born that way and that it is not somekinda disorder:rollseyes ....believe me they r actually proud they r homosexuals+o( .....eeeeeeeeeeew...
Ya, thats what they say, and that is what they make themself believe, they are sick in the head. Everything might seem totally normal though.

And now people are becoming homosexual just for entertainment purposes... because they get more attention that way.

It's one thing to be a homosexual, but around society you act normal and don't involve anyone in your personal life, but it's another when you flaunt it out just for attention, those are the ones that are like a cancer to our society and should be treated or removed.

kidman

Sis786
06-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Ya, thats what they say, and that is what they make themself believe, they are sick in the head. Everything might seem totally normal though.

And now people are becoming homosexual just for entertainment purposes... because they get more attention that way.

It's one thing to be a homosexual, but around society you act normal and don't involve anyone in your personal life, but it's another when you flaunt it out just for attention, those are the ones that are like a cancer to our society and should be treated or removed.

kidman
Yes true Bro and the media are to blame for this, I mean that dumb reality show "Big Brother" the winner is always Gay or a Drunken Hooligan.

And i agree that now being "Gay" is something to be proud of as you are different. I watched this Show where these Muslims girls were saying that Islam doesnt state that you cannot be Gay. The Next day the girl was on a radio station and this pious Bro called in and said have you read the Story of Prophet Lut and her answer was the men in the story raped men soo thats why Allah SWT sent his wrath down.

These people are confused, May Allah SWT protect us from such evils Aameen

Isaac
06-27-2006, 08:48 AM
There was a time where in the west homosexuality was seen as a disease and mental disorder.

IbnAbdulHakim
06-27-2006, 09:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sis786
Sheikh Hamza Yusuf's CD's
:salamext:

I've been warned against Hamza Yusuf, apparently he preaches wrong things :? i dont really know jus sayin what ive been told.

Homosexuality is the shaytaan whispering sick stuff to sick people!... thats all i see it as... a huge sin just like adultery or rape

:wasalamex

KAding
06-27-2006, 11:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Isaac
There was a time where in the west homosexuality was seen as a disease and mental disorder.
Good old times ;).

Seriously, maybe homosexuality is a disorder, I don't know. But its a disorder which they obviously can live with and which as far as I know nobody has been able to 'treat' it.

Live and let live I would say.

Isaac
06-27-2006, 12:16 PM
yes i agree to a minute extent, but that does not mean we do not eductae our children about homosexuality, and other excualities. It all comes down to a poor education in both school and society. In school why is that they only teach you about the reproductive system and proceudre, but never, about anything such as homosexulaity - its ills and diseases associated with it, problems of having sex out of marriage - eg. single mothers, sex with multiple partners - eg- spread of std's. So the pointim trying to make is that we need to do more about educating the people and warning them of the consqeunces that certain acts can have on both themselves andthe society they live in.

Ansar Al-'Adl
06-27-2006, 12:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Out of interest - and not really wishing to spark another homosexuality debate - how does Islam view homosexuality?
Hi Glo,

Please see the following posts:

General comments
http://www.islamicboard.com/97335-post198.html

Islamic Verdict
http://www.islamicboard.com/98510-post206.html

From an empirical perspective:
http://www.islamicboard.com/98939-post213.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/174648-post20.html

How it relates to Islamic Penal Law
http://www.islamicboard.com/183927-post281.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/184171-post284.html

Regards

Kidman
06-27-2006, 02:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Good old times ;).

But its a disorder which they obviously can live with and which as far as I know nobody has been able to 'treat' it.
I bet it can be treated, but we instead live with it instead of finding ways to treat it.

Isaac
06-27-2006, 03:31 PM
for every cure there is a disease.

Kidman
06-27-2006, 04:45 PM
^^ LOL, did you mean for every disease there is a cure? I mean, what would be the point of a cure if there wasn't a disease??
Kidman

IbnAbdulHakim
06-27-2006, 07:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Isaac
for every cure there is a disease.

LOOOOOOOOOL

LOOOOOOOOOL

SUBHANALLAH

LOOOL!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D ;D ;D

ASTAGFIRULLAH!!! *TEARS FALL*

wilberhum
06-27-2006, 08:55 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5120004.stm
Womb environment 'makes men gay'
A man's sexual orientation may be determined by conditions in the womb, according to a study.
A Canadian study has shown that the effect is most likely down to biological rather than social factors.
"Increasingly, credible evidence appears to indicate that being gay is genetically determined rather than being a so-called lifestyle choice.
"It adds further weight to the argument that lesbian and gay people should be treated equally in society and not discriminated against for something that's just as inherent as skin colour."

Isaac
06-27-2006, 08:58 PM
lol, leave me alone. my bad it was suppose to be for every disease there is a cure.:hiding: :hiding:

IbnAbdulHakim
06-27-2006, 09:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5120004.stm
Womb environment 'makes men gay'
A man's sexual orientation may be determined by conditions in the womb, according to a study.
A Canadian study has shown that the effect is most likely down to biological rather than social factors.
"Increasingly, credible evidence appears to indicate that being gay is genetically determined rather than being a so-called lifestyle choice.
"It adds further weight to the argument that lesbian and gay people should be treated equally in society and not discriminated against for something that's just as inherent as skin colour."

Sounds like a mere theory to me. Let it become an established fact, then we'll talk :D

:peace: :)

glo
06-27-2006, 09:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
Thanks Ansar Al-'Adl :thankyou:

Peace.

wilberhum
06-27-2006, 09:16 PM
Sounds like a mere theory to me. Let it become an established fact, then we'll talk
One should never concider the posibility of anything that is not a proven fact.

IbnAbdulHakim
06-27-2006, 09:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
One should never concider the posibility of anything that is not a proven fact.
:peace:

If by that you mean i shouldnt accept any statement which "ISNT" a fact then i agree!

but to me Allah's existence is indeed a fact. I have seen proof, and so will every1 else, all a matter of acceptin it ;)

:peace: :)

scentsofjannah
06-27-2006, 10:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid

I've been warned against Hamza Yusuf, apparently he preaches wrong things :? i dont really know jus sayin what ive been told.

Homosexuality is the shaytaan whispering sick stuff to sick people!... thats all i see it as... a huge sin just like adultery or rape

:sl:

May Allah protect our tongues from spreading everything we hear ameen its best we reasearch ourselves rather than just believing everything we hear.

you know Shaykh Hamza Yusuf Hanson (Allah bless him and reward him immensely) has done more for this ummah than many of us here...go to the site of his institute many people ahve converted to Islam by Allah's grace
through him...listen/watch his lectures both audio and video read the books he wrote/translated and check the photos in the multimedia section you'll see what i mean.

peace

IbnAbdulHakim
06-27-2006, 10:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by scentsofjannah
:sl:

May Allah protect our tongues from spreading everything we hear ameen its best we reasearch ourselves rather than just believing everything we hear.

you know Shaykh Hamza Yusuf Hanson (Allah bless him and reward him immensely) has done more for this ummah than many of us here...go to the site of his institute many people ahve converted to Islam by Allah's grace
through him...listen/watch his lectures both audio and video read the books he wrote/translated and check the photos in the multimedia section you'll see what i mean.

peace

JazakAllah khair, i'll check it out inshaAllah wa barakAllah feekum.

scentsofjannah
06-27-2006, 10:07 PM
homosexuality is a perversion..its a mental disorder..scientists to this day havent identified a genetic gene..i have read homosexuals themselves saying many gays /lesbians come from dysfunctional families...no role models for them..absent fathers in the case of boys / many times even sexual abuse

i hear this nonsense all the time 'gays/lesbians are born that way'..does this explain the rampant homosexuality?/bisexuality/ transexuality? New york im told is 1/3rd gay...in a few years from now it could be 1/2 gay.

what about people who BECOME homosexual in jails? in the army? i think this is the biggest proof that many people BECOME gays and lesbians ..and some of those people might still want to continue that deviant behaviour once their out of jail/army.

today i came across this ad on the personals page of the newspaper..BI CURIOUS male wants older gay male to 'educate' him..you see people want to experiment.

scentsofjannah
06-27-2006, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid

JazakAllah khair, i'll check it out inshaAllah wa barakAllah feekum.

nice attitude brother...keep it up Allah tells us in the Qur'an ' if someone comes to you with news then VERIFY it' :thankyou:

peace

scentsofjannah
06-27-2006, 10:13 PM
seriously homosexuals have more problems than just a different sexual preference...look at them..why do gays and lesbians turn out to look like the opposite gender...how often do you see a soft spoken gay with a pink shirt saying 'PRINCESS' then again you see this toughlooking tough speaking baggypants big shirt wearing lesbian..now thats seriously MESSED UP!! they got an IDENTITY CRISIS and GENDER CONFUSION...they really need help.

peace

IbnAbdulHakim
06-27-2006, 10:15 PM
seriously homosexuals have more problems than just a different sexual preference...look at them..why do gays and lesbians turn out to look like the opposite gender...how often do you see a soft spoken gay with a pink shirt saying 'PRINCESS' then again you see this toughlooking tough speaking baggypants big shirt wearing lesbian..now thats seriously MESSED UP!! they got an IDENTITY CRISIS and GENDER CONFUSION...they really need help.

peace

Its the shaytaan, i mean look at freemasons, we cant tell wat there up2 but i bet u there far more messed up...

Kidman
06-27-2006, 10:43 PM

peace
I totally agree

today i came across this ad on the personals page of the newspaper..BI CURIOUS male wants older gay male to 'educate' him..you see people want to experiment.
what you doin in the personals section??? lol, tryin to find a husband huh? just kiddin...

scentsofjannah
06-28-2006, 12:52 PM
what you doin in the personals section??? lol, tryin to find a husband huh? just kiddin...
lol nopes sometimes i just like to read it ..and i did find once this man looking for a muslim lady..now whoda thought

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.