/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to greet a Muslim woman?

glo
06-26-2006, 07:04 PM
Hi all

I have mentioned before a Muslim woman in my neighbourhood, who despite severe communication problems I have become 'friendly' with.
She is older than I am, possibly in her 40's - I don't know if that is relevant in any way.
She has two young boys, who live with her. She does not have a huband that I know of. I don't know if she is widowed, or if the boys are not actually her own children.
She came to England from Pakistan a couple of years ago with the boys.

That's just some background information.

When I meet her in the street, we wave at each other and say hello, exchange a few words (well, we only know a few words!) and continue on our way.

Now my husband has become a little uncomfortable when he meets her in the street - because he doesn't know how to behave appropriately.
How should he greet her, when he (alone) meets her (alone) in the street?
Pretend he hasn't seen her?
Just say hello?

This may seem a daft question to ask, and if he wasn't a Muslim woman it would not be a issue ... but he doesn't want to do anything to offend or embarrass her.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
06-26-2006, 07:11 PM
Hi.

On my opinion, i think he shouldn't say anything to her - especially when nobody else is there because it may make her feel uncomfortable.

Also: The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) categorically prohibited privacy between a man and a non related woman. He (peace be upon him) said,

"When a woman and non mahram man are alone, Satan is the third." (Ahmad and al-Tirmidhi as being sahih)

Allaah Almighty knows best.

Peace.

glo
06-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Hi Fi_Sabilillah

Thanks for your advice.

My husband felt that might be the best thing to do, too.
It's just that from a Westerner' point of view it seems actually quite rude to not acknowledge somebody by at least nodding your head or saying hello briefly ...

- Qatada -
06-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Yeah, i understand what you mean. But in other cultures, it may seem offensive to a woman if a stranger from the opposite gender nods to her, or greets her - especially when they aren't any other people there.

Peace.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
06-26-2006, 07:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
Yeah, i understand what you mean. But in other cultures, it may seem offensive to a woman if a stranger from the opposite gender nods to her, or greets her - especially when they aren't any other people there.

Peace.
Yes, I understand.
My husband is also worried that it will put her in a bad light within her Muslim community if she is seen greeting him or speaking to him.
I tell you, it all seems sooo complicated, not offending people from other cultures ... :X

peace.

- Qatada -
06-26-2006, 07:31 PM
“O Mankind! We created you from a single pair of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know each other (not that ye may despise each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is he who is the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted with all things.” (Qur'an 49:13)

“And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and earth, and the variations in your languages and colours: verily in that are signs for those who know.” (30:22)

I think that these signs of different cultures and colours makes you realise and reflect on the creation of Allaah Almighty..

Peace.

glo
06-26-2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks for your comments. :)

glo
06-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Does anybody else have any suggestions in this matter?

thanks.

Daffodil
06-27-2006, 09:11 PM
Hiya

Fi sabilillah pretty much summed it up.

Also, if the lady ses hello to him first then he can say hello back to her, but i wud let her do the greeting thing first other wise he shud just ignore her, or if she smiles then smile back etc.

thahira
07-20-2006, 03:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
Hiya

Fi sabilillah pretty much summed it up.

Also, if the lady ses hello to him first then he can say hello back to her, but i wud let her do the greeting thing first other wise he shud just ignore her, or if she smiles then smile back etc.
salam

i think i agree with this post if the woman initiate then it wise for your hus to do so. then otherwise just igonre.

wassalam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.