PDA

View Full Version : UK mosques watchdog launches

Ghazi
06-27-2006, 09:37 PM
:sl:

UK mosques watchdog launches
By Dominic Casciani
BBC News community affairs reporter

A potentially influential body to tackle extremism is being launched a year after the London bombings.

The mosques standards body was a key proposal from a government-backed extremism taskforce.

In a unique move, leaders of four major British Muslim groups have agreed the body is essential to modernise and open up religious institutions.

The body's launch document speaks about the failings of some mosques, including the exclusion of women and youth.

The proposal for a Mosques and Imams National Advisory Body (Minab) was one of more than 100 recommendations to emerge from a Home Office-organised taskforce on extremism in the wake of the 7/7 London bombings.

But the plan has been mired in controversy with many mosques resistant to the idea of a watchdog, believing that they would be ultimately controlled by the government.

But the four groups backing its creation said that it was a major step forward in modernising a key institution.

Community leadership

Many younger Muslims, particularly women, have long complained mosques are run by small cliques of men from distinct clans or families, rather than by the wider community.

I think we are winning the moral high ground - the people who do not want the name of their faith tarnished are really getting their house in order and organising themselves as never has happened before
Dr Daoud Abdullah
In an unprecedented move for a major policy publication from Muslim organisations, that complaint is accepted in the document setting out Minab's aims.

Crucially, it accepts many imams are not up to the job of giving guidance to alienated young people. It sets a priority of developing the careers of British-born or educated preachers who can relate to young Muslims in English and understand western culture.

The founders of Minab say it will also champion more access for women and ask mosque elders to bring on board highly-educated Muslims in professional positions, such as lawyers and teachers, to help run the institutions.

Khurshid Ahmed, of the British Muslim Forum, one of the key national bodies behind the reforms, said they would now start work on ensuring that Minab would be a properly constituted, professional organisation.

While Muslims did not believe mosques were the source of extremism, said Mr Ahmed, communities had an unprecedented opportunity to achieve much-needed change.

"There are problems of governance within mosques and we need to build their capacity and make sure they are properly resourced.

"We need to be very realistic and honest with ourselves. The vast majority of our imams lack the capacity to intellectually engage with our young people. We need to help them build that capacity."

Yusuf Al-Khoei of the Al-Khoei Foundation, which represents Shia Muslims in the UK, said the launch of Minab was a major step forward for British Muslims, not least because the different strands of the faith had united.

"Four organisations have come together for the first time and reached a consensus. It's a very positive move because the voice of moderation is coming up loud and clear. We are trying to decouple Islam from images and allegations of violence.

"We need more involvement of the youth, of our women - and more involvement in our neighbourhoods.

"We need our mosques to be more than places of worship, they need to be proper community centres.

"For too long there has really been no structure. I have seen people claim to be imams in mosques who could not even read or write."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Say: Indeed my prayer, and my sacrifice, and my living, and my dying are for none other than Allaah, Lord of all that exists"

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ghazi
06-27-2006, 09:38 PM

I'm against this idea some stupid kiss-ups going around telling people what they can say or can't say and reporting back to the kufur.

Daffodil
06-27-2006, 10:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

I'm against this idea some stupid kiss-ups going around telling people what they can say or can't say and reporting back to the kufur.
Ditto!

Bittersteel
06-28-2006, 03:04 AM
well its the UK!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
06-28-2006, 03:43 AM
At the present it looks like we are still badly misunderstood by the people, people are acting out of fear and will probably take a generation before the fear is shown to be unfounded. We are walking a delicate tightrope. It is essential to let the world know that we will not be bullied, but we also must refrain from being aggressive.

Our best action is to live in peace, abide by the laws of whatever country we live in and let people see first hand that we are not aggressors and that we are not out to conquer any country. We can only spread the message that are a religion of Peace, by helping to spread the seeds of Peace.

seek.learn
06-28-2006, 04:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Our best action is to live in peace, abide by the laws of whatever country we live in and let people see first hand that we are not aggressors and that we are not out to conquer any country. We can only spread the message that are a religion of Peace, by helping to spread the seeds of Peace.
Salaam o alaikum wa rahmatullah,

It is said that actions speak louder than words.

Today, our actions often contradict our words.

May we act upon our claims and may Allah(SWT) guide our ummah and forgive us. Aameen.

Alaikum Salaam wa rahmatullah

Taqiyah
06-28-2006, 04:31 AM
At the present it looks like we are still badly misunderstood by the people, people are acting out of fear and will probably take a generation before the fear is shown to be unfounded. We are walking a delicate tightrope. It is essential to let the world know that we will not be bullied, but we also must refrain from being aggressive.

ASALAMA ALAIKUM..........

:? :? Well..u know that our Prophet Mohamed didn't only use Peaceful tactics to spread the word of Islam....there was also conquering countries and giving the people two choices...either to accept Islam or Pay money and live under Islamic rule...:? :? :sister: We don't just have to sit and let them bully us and act like it don't bother us:hiding: :hiding: :X

Woodrow
06-28-2006, 04:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Taqiyah

:? :? Well..u know that our Prophet Mohamed didn't only use Peaceful tactics to spread the word of Islam....there was also conquering countries and giving the people two choices...either to accept Islam or Pay money and live under Islamic rule...:? :? :sister: We don't just have to sit and let them bully us and act like it don't bother us:hiding: :hiding: :X
No, we do not have to sit still and be bullied. But, we have to be cautious that we do not become the agressor. Being Peacefull is not the same as being timid. We can express our disatifaction and we can protest. But, we must not react in kind. We have to remember and be sensitive of the reasons for the fear and do our best to prove that they are unfounded fears. We can protest peacefully, we can use the power of voting we can act in accordance with our beliefs. We can defend ourselves without being abusive.

If people can see that a Muslim neighborhood is a safe place for a Non-Muslim to walk without fear, show that a Muslim store owner is fair, honest and courteous, show that a Muslim household is law abiding and has no hidden agenda, then people will begin to see us in a better light. Demands often fall on deaf ears and breed distrust. Asking is often met with tolerance and understanding. We have rights and we have a reason to expect to have access to those rights, but we have to try to be gentle in pointing out we do not always get to excercise our rights. Remember, we are not in just a religious struggle, Islam is our life and we are viewed upon as being culturaly different. People fear cultures that are different from their own. We will have a hard time making any gains until those fears are alleviated. We are seen as being the agressors, we need to show and vocalise we are victems not aggressors.

seek.learn
06-28-2006, 04:54 AM
Salaam o alaikum,

Couldn't agree more brother Woodrow.

Also sister, all that you have mentioned was done after a just muslim ummah had been founded. Today, we as muslims, are not faring too well. We are far from what we should be. So, first and foremost, we struggle to become closer to what is required of us. As brother Woodrow said.

AllahuAlim.

May Allah(SWT) guide us. Aameen.

Alaikum Salaam

Taqiyah
06-28-2006, 04:58 AM
Asalama Alaikum.....

Thanks brother and sister:thankyou: now I really understand why....:) :) May Allah bless u both..

Dawud_uk
06-28-2006, 06:09 AM
assalaamu alaykum,

'Muslim' council of Britain = Munafiqeen Council of Britain.

they side with the kuffar when they make their laws against muslims and then they released a press release telling muslims that was best to vote labour at the last election.

best for whom? the muslims of iraq? afghanistan or good for the muslims of bradford and birmingham?

or best for those who want their knighthood, OBE, MBE and pat on the head for stabbing their brothers and sisters in the back?

we are one ummah, these people would split us all along lines drawn by colonial powers in the dirt, each of us looking after our own narrow tribal or national interest and forgetting the suffering of our brothers and sisters.

assalaamu alaykum,
Daw'ud

glo
06-28-2006, 11:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Taqiyah

I won't say too much on this, because Woodrow has already replied brilliantly.

Just wanted to say that this is exactly the kind of comment that makes Westerners be fearful and suspicious ... +o(

Nobody should impose their beliefs/way of life onto others. Isn't that what Islam teaches? :?

Be in peace. :thankyou:

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-28-2006, 12:09 PM

I agree. Little kids walking around with imaamas covering their heads screaming takbeer doesn't help much (i wonder who they're hiding from?).
But there is something that can be done. Da'wah is the first step.
W'salaam

aamirsaab
06-28-2006, 12:15 PM
Woodrow and glo have pretty much said all that I would.

I too dislike this BS muslims keep recieving, however, as woodrow pointed out, we have to try hard to not appear as the aggressors - it takes time and is difficult, but that's why it's a test.

Ghazi
06-28-2006, 12:18 PM

aggressors
Last time I checked The US and Britian were the one's invading countries so how can muslims seem like oppressers were being oppressed.

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-28-2006, 12:31 PM

Last time I checked The US and Britian were the one's invading countries so how can muslims seem like oppressers were being oppressed.
When someone attacked the prophet (SAW) would walk away. In these times it's important to portray islamic characteristics, as people seem to think Muslims completely represent the teachings of Islam.
I'm not saying we should not condemn the wrong actions of the British and USA gov.
W'salaam

Ghazi
06-28-2006, 12:36 PM

islamic characteristics
I agree but some muslims hold the view that even when your attacked you shouldn't do anything islam is peace but it's also common sense someone gets in your face or intends harm on you you got a duty to protect yourself.

Daffodil
06-28-2006, 03:04 PM

I agree but some muslims hold the view that even when your attacked you shouldn't do anything islam is peace but it's also common sense someone gets in your face or intends harm on you you got a duty to protect yourself.
yep exactly, we are peaceful with those who are peaceful with us.

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Yeah I know. I am talking about if someone wrongs you.
But the prophet (SAW) did teach us to protect and defend those who are oppressed, and also help the oppressor (by stopping him from oppressing others).
That's all I meant.

Ghazi
06-28-2006, 03:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm_Shaheed
But the prophet (SAW) did teach us to protect and defend those who are oppressed, and also help the oppressor (by stopping him from oppressing others).
That's all I meant.

True you need to 50/50 with your personality able to dish out mercy to those who are peaceful towards you and also be able to be harsh with the enemies of islam cause if you posses one without the other your in trouble.

Dawud_uk
06-28-2006, 09:57 PM
assalaamu alaykum,

someone slaps me i ask him why he slaped me, he slaps me again i put him on the floor. end of.

the muslims have been invaded, our lands plundered and stolen, women and children raped and murdered, men tortured and killed whilst not even being combatants.

subhanallah, then so called muslims leaders suck up to these people and take them as their awliya, they have wahan in their hearts, we all do but these people are the worse of the muslims, worse than open sinners as they lead away from the straight path.

assalaamu alaykum,
Daw'ud

IbnAbdulHakim
06-28-2006, 10:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm_Shaheed
That's all I meant.
:salamext:

recently i been feeling sooo confused becoz i been stressin about goin to palestine ye and ma family keeps sayin that its not constructive at all.... and im startin to think there right! What can i do by goin palestine alone :(

:wasalamex

Ghazi
06-28-2006, 10:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
:salamext:

recently i been feeling sooo confused becoz i been stressin about goin to palestine ye and ma family keeps sayin that its not constructive at all.... and im startin to think there right! What can i do by goin palestine alone :(

:wasalamex

It's beacuse too many muslims think that way that the situation hasn't been delt inshallah allah will guide you to a good decision.

IbnAbdulHakim
06-28-2006, 10:08 PM

It's beacuse too man muslims think that way that the situation hasn't been delt inshallah allah will guide you to a good decision.
bro there plannin an all out attack on our beautiful holy land :'( oh man! i keep thinkin in my head, will i be held accountable if all of palestine is wrecked and i didnt try help?!

Ghazi
06-28-2006, 10:10 PM

I feel like a Hyprocrite sometimes the prophet said: "none of you are true believers till you love for your brother what you love for your self."

Dawud_uk
06-29-2006, 06:18 AM

I feel like a Hyprocrite sometimes the prophet said: "none of you are true believers till you love for your brother what you love for your self."
assalaamu alaykum brother,

you have made the intention at least, you have made effort to remove the love of dunya and fear of death from your heart.

i would recommend you read 'Defence of the Muslim Lands' by the martyred Sheikh, Abdullah Azzam, may Allah accept as a martyr and grant his wish to join the caravan of martyrs.

now Sheikh Abdullah Azzam was actually from Palastine, yet left the Jihad there and went to try to carry it on else where. this was because he realised the zionist dogs were too strong and supported by the apostate rulers in the neighbouring lands and knew that only through establishing a strong islamic state could palestine ever be liberated.

so perhaps it is appropiate you make hijrah, and contribute to establishing that strong state in whatever capacity you are able?

assalaamu alaykum,
Daw'ud

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-29-2006, 09:13 AM
bro there plannin an all out attack on our beautiful holy land :'( oh man! i keep thinkin in my head, will i be held accountable if all of palestine is wrecked and i didnt try help?!
At the end of the day, Allah will hold you accountable for your actions. I think you should listen to the talk in this page:
http://inshallahshaheed.wordpress.co...ari-al-ushaaq/
And this one:
http://inshallahshaheed.wordpress.co...darb-al-jihad/
Both very inspiring.
W'salaam

IbnAbdulHakim
06-29-2006, 09:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
assalaamu alaykum brother,

you have made the intention at least, you have made effort to remove the love of dunya and fear of death from your heart.

i would recommend you read 'Defence of the Muslim Lands' by the martyred Sheikh, Abdullah Azzam, may Allah accept as a martyr and grant his wish to join the caravan of martyrs.

now Sheikh Abdullah Azzam was actually from Palastine, yet left the Jihad there and went to try to carry it on else where. this was because he realised the zionist dogs were too strong and supported by the apostate rulers in the neighbouring lands and knew that only through establishing a strong islamic state could palestine ever be liberated.

so perhaps it is appropiate you make hijrah, and contribute to establishing that strong state in whatever capacity you are able?

assalaamu alaykum,
Daw'ud
i heard afghanistan is tryin to re-establish the taliban! Do you think they can turn that into an islamic state? :eek:

Dawud_uk
06-30-2006, 05:56 AM
i heard afghanistan is tryin to re-establish the taliban! Do you think they can turn that into an islamic state? :eek:

assalaamu alaykum,

i dont see anywhere else that is remotely close to establishing a true islamic state and many mujahadeen acknowledge Sheikh Muhammad Umar As Amir al - Mumineen including Mujahadeen in Iraq, Kashmir etc not just Afghanistan.

i am not saying necessarily go and fight, that is your own decision how you can best contribute, you know yourself best

but being in that area of NW frontier province Pakistan / Southern Afghanistan would mean you would be able to help more when things calm down as the US / UK know they cannot continue to occupy afghanistan and support the apostates there or if you choice do otherwise.

assalaamu alaykum,
Daw'ud

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.