/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is Fitna.

I R Paki
06-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Someone explain, I asked my freind and he does not know.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lolwatever
06-28-2006, 11:54 AM
salams bro
im assuming you meant 'what IS Fitnah' not 'IF'

umm.. Fitnah means trial, tribulation.. test from Allah

for example losing your wallet could be a Fitnah to see whether your patient or you get all upset and stop praying and blame Allah for making that happen to you...

Dajjal (the anti christ) is an example of a fitnah too.. his miracles will put people's Iman under scruitiny to differentiate who's a serious believer from the weaker ones..

that's one example .... of manyy

- Qatada -
06-28-2006, 11:54 AM
:salamext:

I think fitnah is like tests/trials etc. But Allaah Almighty knows best. So if you were going to walk down the street, you would probably be distracted by a woman if you never lowered your gaze.

Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:

" I have not left a fitnah (trial, calamity or cause for calamity) after me more than (the fitnah) with women for men" (Bukhari and Muslim)

Also was related by our Prophet (peace be upon him):

"The world is sweet and verdant, and Allah having put you in it in your turn watches how you act; so fear the world and fear women, for the first trial of the Bani Israel had to do with women" (Sahih Muslim) Being optimistic, a ray of hope was also wisely provided during Prophet's Last Sermon on way to avoid the above pitfall: "If the Ummah hold on to the Qur'an and the Sunnah, it will not go astray".

That's just an example, and this is why we are ordered to lower our gaze when we see a woman who is not a mahram to us.

Lower Your Gaze
http://www.islamicvoice.com/march.2000/women.htm

So the fitnah is a form of a test for us; will we fear Allaah and obey the commandment of Allaah Almighty, or will we turn away and fall for the temptation and then fail the test?

:wasalamex

lolwatever
06-28-2006, 11:56 AM
but its not restricted to women though.. that's not the only 'genre' of hadiths where the word fitnah was used...

used alot in the quran about people of ukhdood, and people of musa and the end of time etccc...

salamz

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- Qatada -
06-28-2006, 11:58 AM
:wasalamex

Yeah.. i just gave an example :) fitnah refers to many things.

I R Paki
06-28-2006, 12:37 PM
:sl:
thanks, sorry if I spelt it wrong.
:w:

al-fateh
06-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Fitna (فتنة) is an Arabic word, generally regarded as very difficult to translate. It is often used to refer to civil war, disagreement and division within Islam and specifically alludes to a time involving trials of faith, similar to the Tribulation in Christian eschatology. The word also implies meanings including secession, upheaval and anarchy.
The term comes originally referred to the refining of metal to remove dross [1], but became common in apocalyptic writings and is often used to refer to the First Islamic civil war, in 656–661 CE, a prolonged struggle for the caliphate after the 656 assassination of the caliph Uthman ibn Affan. The Second Fitna, or Second Islamic civil war, is usually identified as the 683–685 CE conflict among the Umayyads for control of the caliphate. The third one refers to the taifas in the end of the Caliph of Córdoba's rule.
Variant Qur'anic translations demonstrate some of the confusion this term has engendered:
(8:39) "So fight them until there is no more disbelief (fitnah) and all submit to the religion of Allah alone (in the whole world)" (8:39) "And fight with them until there is no more persecution (fitnah) and religion should be only for Allah" The meaning of the term is illustrated in the apocalyptic literature by people under extreme moral and psychological stress to compromise an element of their faith in return for worldly gain, and sometimes in return for their lives. They are made to chose, often not knowing exactly what is good and what is evil.

al-fateh
06-28-2006, 02:06 PM
1) When it is said to them: "Make not mischief on the earth," they say: "Why, we only Want to make peace!"
( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #11)

(2) Of a surety, they are the ones who make mischief, but they realise (it) not.
( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #12)

(3) Those who break Allah.s Covenant after it is ratified, and who sunder what Allah Has ordered to be joined, and do mischief on earth: These cause loss (only) to themselves.

(4) Behold, thy Lord said to the angels: "I will create a vicegerent on earth." They said: "Wilt Thou place therein one who will make mischief therein and shed blood?- whilst we do celebrate Thy praises and glorify Thy holy (name)?" He said: "I know what ye know not."

(5) And remember Moses prayed for water for his people; We said: "Strike the rock with thy staff." Then gushed forth therefrom twelve springs. Each group knew its own place for water. So eat and drink of the sustenance provided by Allah, and do no evil nor mischief on the (face of the) earth.

(6) When he turns his back, His aim everywhere is to spread mischief through the earth and destroy crops and cattle. But Allah loveth not mischief.

(7) (Their bearings) on this life and the Hereafter. They ask thee concerning orphans. Say: "The best thing to do is what is for their good; if ye mix their affairs with yours, they are your brethren; but Allah knows the man who means mischief from the man who means good. And if Allah had wished, He could have put you into difficulties: He is indeed Exalted in Power, Wise."
( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #220)

(8) By Allah.s will they routed them; and David slew Goliath; and Allah gave him power and wisdom and taught him whatever (else) He willed. And did not Allah Check one set of people by means of another, the earth would indeed be full of mischief: But Allah is full of bounty to all the worlds.
( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #251)

(9) But if they turn back, Allah hath full knowledge of those who do mischief.
( سورة آل عمران , Aal-e-Imran, Chapter #3, Verse #63)

(10) On that account: We ordained for the Children of Israel that if any one slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew the whole people: and if any one saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people. Then although there came to them Our apostles with clear signs, yet, even after that, many of them continued to commit excesses in the land.
( سورة المائدة , Al-Maeda, Chapter #5, Verse #32)

(11) The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world, and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter;
( سورة المائدة , Al-Maeda, Chapter #5, Verse #33)

(12) The Jews say: "(Allah)'s hand is tied up." Be their hands tied up and be they accursed for the (blasphemy) they utter. Nay, both His hands are widely outstretched: He giveth and spendeth (of His bounty) as He pleaseth. But the revelation that cometh to thee from Allah increaseth in most of them their obstinate rebellion and blasphemy. Amongst them we have placed enmity and hatred till the Day of Judgment. Every time they kindle the fire of war, Allah doth extinguish it; but they (ever) strive to do mischief on earth. And Allah loveth not those who do mischief.
( سورة المائدة , Al-Maeda, Chapter #5, Verse #64)

Hijrah
06-29-2006, 03:20 PM
Fitnah has a lot of definitions, according to a footnote to Chapter 2: verse 93, in my copy of the Quran it has a lot of definitions

Fitnah=disbelief OR discord OR dissension OR Civil Strife OR Persecution OR Oppression OR Injustice OR seduction OR Trial and Torment

Hijrah
06-30-2006, 02:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by al-fateh

(11) The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world, and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter;
( سورة المائدة , Al-Maeda, Chapter #5, Verse #33)

An exampe of this according to a Hadith I read in Sahih Al-Bukhari Vol. 6 is when those men from the Bani Uraina tribe who stole the sheep and killed the sheperd
:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.