/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Syria reviving its Islamic roots

sonz
06-29-2006, 12:01 PM
Syria is now reviving its Islamic roots, 40 years after the secular Baath Party came to power, according to an editorial on Gulf News.

The article, by Syrian political analyst Sami Moubayed, argues that Islam is gaining ground in Syria, and that religion is no more limited to the urban poor.

Syrians held onto Islam in the post-Ottoman era and the Islamic Caliphate. But they were greatly influenced by secularism, which was brought along with the French when they invaded Syria in 1920.

The great shift towards Islamic roots resulted from the clash between the Muslim Brotherhood and the regime in 1982. The consecutive defeats in Arab politics also pushed Syrians to turn to Islam when the Baath Party and Arab nationalism failed them.

The continued Israeli occupation of Palestine, the 2001 U.S. invasion of Afghanistan and the 2003 U.S.-led war against Iraq convinced Syrians, as well as many Muslims across the world, that Islam is always the solution when everything else fails.

Another factor that hugely contributed to the rise of Islam in Syria is that Islamic resistance groups are gaining ground in the Middle East.

The Lebanese resistance group Hezbollah forced Israel to withdraw from South Lebanon in 2000 and anti-occupation movement Hamas came to power after the January Palestinian elections.

The fierce Iraqi resistance, mainly led by Sunni fighters seeking liberation from the U.S. invaders, is leading a relentless battle against occupation forces.

These developments led to the emergence of different schools of thought in Syria, including moderate Islamic leaders, who preach tolerance and are backed by the regime, fundamentalists and other groups that want to preserve the secularism of Syria.

The Baath regime is standing among these groups, struggling to strike an almost impossible balance: promoting secularism and winning the Islamic street to build a united front to resist growing U.S. pressure.

AlJazeera

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
abdmez
06-29-2006, 12:05 PM
Complicated situation in Syria. I personally don't think Syria would be much better off being a Sunni Iran.

sonz
06-29-2006, 12:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdmez
Complicated situation in Syria. I personally don't think Syria would be much better off being a Sunni Iran.
syria is comig back to islam. u should be happy instead of critisising.

abdmez
06-29-2006, 12:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
syria is comig back to islam. u should be happy instead of critisising.
I'm not critisizing. I am just saying that I hope they take a different path then Iran in there coming back to islam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mawaddah
06-29-2006, 12:38 PM
It's all very good alhamdulillah, but what is this?
These developments led to the emergence of different schools of thought in Syria, including moderate Islamic leaders, who preach tolerance and are backed by the regime, fundamentalists and other groups that want to preserve the secularism of Syria
Preserve the secularism of Syria? Islam and secularism dont go hand in hand.

abdmez
06-29-2006, 12:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah

I hope nothing like a civil war or any type of hatred occurs when they must be united.

IbnAbdulHakim
06-29-2006, 03:10 PM
May Allah guide them and make it a place i would love to settle in inshaAllah :D

:wasalamex

searchingsoul
06-29-2006, 08:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah

I'm thinking that a well organized secular government would allow for different religious beliefs to flourish in Syria. Perhaps Islam and secularism don't go hand in hand (I'm not the best judge). I am failing to see why it would be to Syria's advantage to have one religion supported over others.

searchingsoul
07-14-2006, 01:23 AM
I hope this doesn't lead to oppression.

north_malaysian
07-14-2006, 02:34 AM
Is is true that the Alawites are secular version of Shia?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.