/* */

PDA

View Full Version : DO NOT Eat Canned Tuna, Especially if You're Pregnant

Pure
06-30-2006, 06:28 AM
DO NOT Eat Canned Tuna, Especially if You're Pregnant

Women who are pregnant should avoid eating canned tuna; it may contain high levels of methyl mercury, which may harm the developing nervous system of unborn babies and young children.

Although most canned light tuna contains an average of 0.12 parts per million (ppm) of mercury -- and is touted as a safer, lower mercury seafood choice -- 6 percent of cans tested contained more than 0.35 ppm, and as much as 0.85 ppm. White or albacore canned tuna had an average of 0.35 ppm.

Because methyl mercury builds up in fish as they get older (and bigger), larger, older fish, such as albacore tuna, tend to have higher mercury levels than smaller, younger fish.

The Food and Drug Administration advises that, due to high mercury levels, pregnant women should never eat:

* Shark
* Swordfish
* King Mackerel
* Tilefish

According to Consumer Reports, king mackerel contains an average of 0.73 ppm of mercury -- which is lower than some cans of tuna.

The FDA's current recommendations for pregnant women, women who may become pregnant and children is to eat no more than 12 ounces, or two meals, of canned tuna (one of which may be white or albacore tuna) each week. They have not made public warnings about the potentially high mercury levels in some canned tuna because they believe the levels, when consumed as a single serving, do not pose a significant threat.

Consumer Reports.org July 2006 (Free Full-Text Article)

Chicago Tribune June 6, 2006 (Registration Required)

USA Today June 6, 2006

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
afriend
07-02-2006, 08:57 AM
wow....Yikes!

This will be going into the send to file today :thumbs_up

JazakAllah for the article.

Nablus
07-02-2006, 09:03 AM
so pregnant women shouldnt eat canned tunna

and u

u should cut down eating canned tunna

lolwatever
07-02-2006, 09:05 AM
ne effect on guys?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
afriend
07-02-2006, 09:09 AM
mercury can poison people.......So best not to have too much canned fish.

SirZubair
07-02-2006, 11:21 AM
I live on canned tuna :rollseyes

Rabi'ya
07-02-2006, 11:27 AM
:sl:

there is a natural level of certain substances in everything we eat.

Mercury is only dangerous in high levels.

Midwifes and medical professionals suggest nomore than a can of tuna a week if ur pregnant. There are many other good nutrients in tuna.

Whats necessary is a BALANCED DIET inshAllah

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

Nawal89
07-03-2006, 12:59 PM
We cant keep away from canned tuna in the Bahamas..Thats what bahamians live on..

Tuna and grits..Tuna and rice...Tuna fish cakes...ugh.

07-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Oh did u know that coriander (dhanya) gets rid of ad metals in the body e.g. lead and mercury. So since tinned tuna contains mercury u should eat lots of coriander with it :)

Umm Khalid06
07-03-2006, 03:53 PM
when i was pregnant iloved canned tuna i would it it for snack and still do i live on it easy food ;D :happy:

aamirsaab
07-03-2006, 05:05 PM
At last, my hypothesis is proven correct:
Men can eat all the canned tuna they want
Thus, men are supreme.
Therefore, women must cook.
Henceforth, I shall be known as super king.

hahaha.

p.s; I apologise for the randomness, but the initial point still stands: "mmm la la la la la tuna, la tuna fish". Sorry, temptation was too great.

Daffodil
07-03-2006, 08:51 PM
Asalamulaikum

Firstly, tuna is nastyyy.

Secondly, Midwives n health professionals do tell the pregnant women what foods to avoid n what to eat more of n what to eat only in moderation so dnt worry, theyll inshallah already know about it.

Pure
07-05-2006, 03:57 PM
ofcourse tuna is very good for the body.. its just the soaring mercury levels that are happening. hmmm.. coriander good idea sister! drink a glass of green tea after eating tuna.. get rid of the bad stuff and keep the good stuff :happy:

Tania
07-05-2006, 04:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
Tuna and grits..Tuna and rice...Tuna fish cakes...ugh.
I like the tuna fish and i eat canned tuna but i don't know how the cake can be sweet with tuna in it?:X

lolwatever
07-14-2006, 08:09 AM
^^ lol i agree with that, tuna cakes!! hwo insane lol

umm-sulaim
07-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Lol its not the sweet kinda cake its just fish in like pastry or dough or something, its really nice.
well gotta say i'm heart broken, me loves tuna, i love my tuna sarnies !
I'm still gonna have it though hehe, i'll take sis asmas advice and have it with coriander lol !

Thanks for the info!

Mawaddah
07-14-2006, 01:44 PM
^ Psssshhhhh as IF we are ever going to cut down on Tuna......bleeuurrgghh.......My dad is addicted to that stuff man

And yeah Tuna cakes are like Tuna patties and such

Hey Umm Sulaim did you try the chicken buns yet? :happy:

Nawal89
07-14-2006, 02:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mara
I like the tuna fish and i eat canned tuna but i don't know how the cake can be sweet with tuna in it?:X
loooool:giggling: :giggling:
they're not sweet..they have onions and all that in it. it's just the name ;D;D

umm-sulaim
07-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Lol sos mawaddah nah i'm gonna soon, boy your mums chicken buns are the best ever! even if i make it well it won't be like my wonderful aunties will it, *siiiigh*

MusLiM 4 LiFe
07-14-2006, 06:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
I live on canned tuna :rollseyes
me 2.. i cant live widout it.. itz 2 gorgeous LOL.. tuna iz da bomb!

Somalina
07-14-2006, 09:08 PM
~salaam~

Oh,I dont like Tuna very much,I believe it's healthy, n eat it from tyme to tyme:)

No worries for me:thankyou:

limitless
07-17-2006, 11:18 PM

Interesting, I wanted that to be confirmed. Now I will make sure to ought most that my future wife (inshallah) does not consume any seafood. Thank you sister , appericate it very much.

:w:

Chuck
07-18-2006, 10:23 AM
Now I will make sure to ought most that my future wife (inshallah) does not consume any seafood.
Seafood is good for health, but too much of everything is bad.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
07-18-2006, 06:28 PM
what about the ready made sandwiches do they use canned tuna?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.