/* */

PDA

View Full Version : "Take what you wish from the Qur’aan for whatever you wish."

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-30-2006, 01:09 PM
"Take what you wish from the Qur’aan for whatever you wish."

AUTHOR: Imaam Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen Al-Albaanee
SOURCE: His treatise: "Kayfa Yajibu 'alaynaa an Nufassir al-Qur'aan"
PRODUCED BY: Al-Ibaanah.com

[1] Question: Noble Shaikh, I read a hadeeth in a small book, which states: “Take what you wish from the Qur’aan for whatever you wish (i.e. need).” Is this hadeeth authentic? Please benefit us, may Allaah reward you.

[1] Answer: This hadeeth: “Take what you wish from the Qur’aan for whatever you wish (i.e. need)” is a hadeeth that has become famous amongst some tongues. But unfortunately, it is one of those hadeeths that have no basis in the Sunnah. So because of this, it is not permissible to report it or ascribe it to the Prophet (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam).

Furthermore, this vast and comprehensive understanding (found in the hadeeth) is not valid and not established at all in the Legislation of Islaam: “Take what you wish from the Qur’aan for whatever you wish.” So for example, (this hadeeth indicates that) I can just sit at home and not go out to work in my job or occupation, instead seeking sustenance from my Lord – that He send it down to me from the sky – since I am taking what I wish from the Qur’aan! Who says such a thing!!!

Therefore, this is a false statement. Perhaps it is a narration that was fabricated by those lazy Sufis who are accustomed to sitting and residing in those places they call ribaataat (hospices). They gather in these areas and sit there awaiting Allaah’s sustenance from those people who bring it to them. This is in spite of them knowing that this is not from the nature of a Muslim since the Prophet (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) nurtured everyone to have high aspirations and to be honorable, as he (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: “The upper hand is better than the lower hand. The upper hand is the one that gives and the lower hand is the one that asks (i.e. begs).”

Concerning this topic, I was amazed by a story I read regarding one of the ascetics and Sufis, but I will not prolong this issue since they have many strange tales:

They claim that one of them went out one time traveling throughout the land without any provisions. So it got to the point that he was about to die from hunger when a village appeared to him from afar, so he walked to it. And this was on a Friday. According to his perception, he had gone out while putting all of his reliance in Allaah.

So in order to not invalidate this so called “reliance”, according to his view, he didn’t make himself visible to the gathering of people in the masjid. Rather, he hid himself under the mimbar (pulpit) so that no one would notice him. But he kept telling himself that perhaps someone would detect him. In the meantime, the speaker (khateeb) delivered his sermon and (afterward) this man failed to pray along with the congregation! After, the Imaam finished giving his sermon and praying, the people began exiting the doors of the masjid in groups and individually. This was such that the man felt that the masjid would be void of any people, at which point the masjid doors would be locked and he would remain alone in the masjid without food or drink.

So he had no choice but to make some sounds like that of clearing his throat in order to confirm that there were still people present. Some people came to him and found him with a disfigured appearance as if he were just bones due to the hunger and thirst. The people took hold of him and rushed to assist him.

They asked him: “Who are you, sir?”

He replied: “I am a zaahid (ascetic), one who puts his reliance in Allaah.”

They said: “How can you say ‘I am one who puts his reliance in Allaah’ when you almost died. If you truly put your trust in Allaah, you would not have asked (for help), nor would you have alerted the people to your presence by clearing your throat. And as a result you would have died due to your sin!”

This is an example of the extent that can be reached due to this hadeeth: “Take what you wish from the Qur’aan for whatever you wish (i.e. need).”

To summarize: This hadeeth has no basis to it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.