/* */

PDA

View Full Version : limewire

Aminah_92
07-01-2006, 02:52 PM
salaam.

i just wanted to kno if we r allowed to use limewire, cos sum ppl hav been tellin me that its like stealing from the artists. is it ok in islam?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Fishman
07-01-2006, 02:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aminah_92
salaam.

i just wanted to kno if we r allowed to use limewire, cos sum ppl hav been tellin me that its like stealing from the artists. is it ok in islam?
:sl:
What is limewire?
:w:

czgibson
07-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Greetings,

If you use it illegally (i.e. to download copyrighted material), then that is illegal, and you are indeed stealing from the artists.

I thought music was haraam in Islam anyway...

Peace

Aminah_92
07-01-2006, 02:58 PM
i wasnt goin 2 use it for music i was goin 2 download nasheeds and stuff like that.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
czgibson
07-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Greetings,

Ah, I see...

Best to stay away from any copyrighted material though.

Peace

afriend
07-01-2006, 03:08 PM
I told you, LIMEWIRE IS NOT HARAM!!!!!!!

This is the thing about P2P, it's called 'sharing'.

When you buy a chocolate from the shop, if you give it to a freind, then the owner of the shop isn't gonna take you or the friend to court ;D Is he/she?

czgibson
07-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram

When you buy a chocolate from the shop, if you give it to a freind, then the owner of the shop isn't gonna take you or the friend to court ;D Is he/she?
That's different. In the case of limewire, you pay an upfront fee, but how much of that money goes to the artist? It's less than they would get if you bought their recorded work legally in the first place. If you share copyrighted material that you haven't paid the artist for, then they or the record company would be perfectly within their rights to take you to court. It has happened.

Peace

IbnAbdulHakim
07-01-2006, 03:25 PM

bhai no :(
Thats like saying if your servant buys haram meat and you eat it knowingly wuold you get the sin?
No bhai, i actually stopped downloadin piracy, see that windowsblinds program, i cudda got it registered and hacked ages ago :p but im not coz i dont think its right... Wallahu Allam lets avoid the doubtful and abide by the rules which dont go against islam inshaAllah.

:salamext:

afriend
07-01-2006, 03:30 PM
LOL ok, but don't get Limewire anyways, u get heavily bombed by adware ;D

I suppose you have a point.

IbnAbdulHakim
07-01-2006, 03:31 PM
LOL ok, but don't get Limewire anyways, u get heavily bombed by adware ;D

I suppose you have a point.
sry i hate correctin u :X lol :embarrass

Muezzin
07-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Who needs Limewire when you've got eBay?

My God that site is addictive.

And Internet piracy ain't all that. To tell the truth, some good can come of it - for example, a kid listens to a pirated song, likes it, so goes out and buys the band's album.

It's better to buy the stuff in the first place though, both morally and legally.

Aminah_92
07-15-2006, 09:47 AM
lolz see i told u iqram! i knew it wasnt right but u dont even hav it so y u defending it 4? :rollseyes

Thanx every1 who repld.

A7med
07-20-2006, 10:41 AM
salaam,

Firstly, programs such as limewire,eMule, Kazaa, bearshare ect... are NOT illegal as they are only programs which u can download files from. Also if it was illegal, why are websites like Kazaa (www.kazaa.com) still around where you are able to download the software??? :-\

As these programs are P2P (person2person) sharing you are only sharing files with others which you have allowed them to download. Even copyrighted programs are not illegal to download as you are not burning them onto cd/dvds and selling/distributing them. However if you were to put them onto cd/dvds then it WOULD BE ILLEGAL!

BUT THEY ARE THINKING OF MAKING COPYRIGHTED DOWNLOADS ILLEGAL SOON! but not the programs (kazaa, emule, limewire ect.)

Allah knows best ;)

wasalaam

afriend
07-20-2006, 10:44 AM
^Yes jazakallah to you brother....

Sis786
07-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Actullay it is all illegal in fact our Tech was saying that one guy had visit to his home in reagrds to Kaaza and legal action may be taken out agianst him..

I use Limewire but it always loads a load of other prorammes that give me trouble!

czgibson
07-20-2006, 09:25 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Brown Clown
BUT THEY ARE THINKING OF MAKING COPYRIGHTED DOWNLOADS ILLEGAL SOON!
Wrong.

Downloading copyrighted material is already a crime in most countries with wide internet coverage.

format_quote Originally Posted by Sis786
Actullay it is all illegal
Wrong.

Using programs such as Kazaa is only illegal if you download copyrighted material.

Peace

A7med
07-20-2006, 09:36 PM
Sorry my apologies :embarrass
software such as kazaa and limewire ARE illegal in some counteries like Australia.
Judgement has been made and Kazaa has been found to be illegal under the Copyright Act of Australia.
Fines and other compensation will be dealt with in a seperate case but this is definately a turning point in peer to peer technology.
however this has not been intorduced into UK YET but will VERY VERY SOON!!!

strider
07-20-2006, 09:52 PM
It's illegal to break copyright law, here too.

strider
07-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Oh, and breaking copyright law is Haram according to the Islamic prespective too.

Woodrow
07-20-2006, 10:13 PM
my simple reasoning.

Stealing is knowingly taking something that does not belong to you.
If you accept a gift you know does not belong to the giver, that is stealing by proxy.
Stealing is Haram

IbnAbdulHakim
07-20-2006, 10:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
my simple reasoning.

Stealing is knowingly taking something that does not belong to you.
If you accept a gift you know does not belong to the giver, that is stealing by proxy.
Stealing is Haram
mashAllah, now why couldnt i say it like this :)

Djinn
07-21-2006, 12:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

That's different. In the case of limewire, you pay an upfront fee, but how much of that money goes to the artist? It's less than they would get if you bought their recorded work legally in the first place. If you share copyrighted material that you haven't paid the artist for, then they or the record company would be perfectly within their rights to take you to court. It has happened.

Peace
:sl:

I remember that recording a song over the radio was illegal, recording a TV show on VHS was illegal. It is not anymore, downloading is a fairly new concept and in several years from now it will become legal, as long as you don't make a profit from it.

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!