/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Warning my Parent

Umar001
07-01-2006, 07:20 PM
I am a revert and God willing I will tell my mother about my reversion to Islam and depending on how it goes, I will then or if not maybe later ask her to accept Islam.

I was thinking of saying something like:

Accept Islam and you will be on the right path, reject it and you will be one of the losers.

Or something along the lines of what Ibrahim peace be upon him said:

SHAKIR: O my father! surely I fear that a punishment from the Beneficent Allah should afflict you so that you should be a friend of the Shaitan.

But obviously like:

Oh Mom, I am worried that you will be punished by The Almighty because of your rejecting of the truth!

You say like that of Ibrahim's people "We found our fathers worshipping them." that you have been given your way of life by your father, as He said: "Indeed you and your fathers have been in manifest error." So shall I say!

I am worried that you will be punished by The Almighty because of your rejecting of the truth! Repent and do rightous deed lest you be a friend of Satan. Dear mother!

I think I might be getting carried away but even as a non-muslim I spoke to her about islam and she told me her dad gave her, her deen so she follows it, jus like the mushriks of old!

Now would I be allowed to say this to her?

Or am I islamicly not allowed to warn her in such a manner?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
07-01-2006, 09:39 PM
:salamext:

Brother, i think you should download a top lecture by brother Kamal el Makki - i've read that some people say his technique of da'wah calls 50 people to islam each day, but Allaah Almighty knows best.

Kamal el Makki - How to Give Shahadah in 10minutes.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Download Powerpoint Presentation

source: http://www.uponsunnah.com/others.php?

insha'Allaah that will benefit alot brother. :)

:wasalamex

glo
07-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Edited, because I thought I was talking to another person ...

Haven't got anything to say now ... other than Hi IsaAbdullah!
How long ago did you convert?

Peace.

Umm Yoosuf
07-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulaah

Congratulation on your reversion to Al- Islam. Indeed Allah guides whom He wills to His Mercy. What is her belief? If she is a Christian/ Jewish etc then perhaps you can share the similarities Islam and Christianity/Judaism share. Perhaps tell her why you choose Islam as your way of Life and the benefits of been/becoming a Muslim. If she is, open minded and willing, maybe take, her out on visits to the Masjid. Target the days that you are aware of Islamic talks taking place, so she may listen.

Allah Knows best.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Taqiyah
07-01-2006, 09:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

Brother, i think you should download a top lecture by brother Kamal el Makki - i've read that some people say his technique of da'wah calls 50 people to islam each day, but Allaah Almighty knows best.

Kamal el Makki - How to Give Shahadah in 10minutes.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Download Powerpoint Presentation

source: http://www.uponsunnah.com/others.php?

insha'Allaah that will benefit alot brother. :)

:wasalamex

Yeah!! I pretty much agree with ur idea:)

Umar001
07-01-2006, 09:57 PM
nearly a year now, Im not close to my family, i cant talk to them about anything let alone this.

They are very anti Islam.

And yes she is Christian but not western type.

Umm Yoosuf
07-01-2006, 10:00 PM
And yes she is Christian but not western type.
:? Meaning what?

Umar001
07-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Meaning, well now maybe a little westernised.

but meaning if you were to see my grandad you'd prolly think he was Muslim.

DigitalStorm82
07-02-2006, 05:45 AM
Asalamu Alaikum Bro,

May Allah's blessings and mercy be with you... Welcome to the fold of Islam.

I have read your suggestion in approaching your mom about your reversion.

I think you should take it one step at a time. I suggest you tell her what made you convert to Islam. What and why it made the most sense to you. Tell her the beauty of Islam.

I don't think you should even bring up the topic of her converting to Islam unless she accepts you as a son and as a muslim. Once she does that... her love for you and your new found religion will be more dear to her than it is now.

I advise you as the prophet advised his companions who travelled to the christian cities. Tell them about Tawheed, the oneness of Allah (swt). Don't tell them what they have to do as muslims until they accept that there is only One God.

But, I would suggest that you save the dawah for your mother for a later time. Inshallah, if Allah wills, she will convert to Islam.

I noticed, you were practicing lines in starting a conversation revealing your religion to your mother. It is never easier than to just get the courage and get it out in the open. Of course, there will be strong resistance if she's anti-Islam but may Allah give you patience. It may take years for her to accept this change, but I pray that it wont.

Try opening conversation with something like this... Mom, I was lost and was having difficulty in finding a sense of direction in life. But, God Almighty sent me a message to guide me aright... and I found that message to be in the religion of Islam. I want you to know that I have embraced this religion, and Im very happy and content with my life now.... and I hope you can accept me as your muslim son..etc.

Be gentle, dont warn them about the punishment just yet. Tell her about the beauty of the religion of Islam before you focus on the consequences of her not accepting Islam.

I hope, this phase of your life is an easy one, Inshallah.

W'salaamz,
Hamid

glo
07-02-2006, 08:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
Meaning, well now maybe a little westernised.

but meaning if you were to see my grandad you'd prolly think he was Muslim.
Errrmmm ... does he believe in Jesus' divinity... or does he not?
That always seems to be the most crucial point to me in differences between Christianity and Islam. Differences in worship and lifestyle are very much secondary.

Umar001
07-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Yes he does, he is prolly more devout than most people and believes in it more than most Christians.

Erm, to the brother, I have spoken to her about Islam before, I spoke to her about the Bible and so forth, she replied like the mushriks and others throught the Koran replied.

I think there are different ways of dealing with people I have told her spoke to her and she has been firm, stubborn in the sense that she wouldnt even take a look at Islam.

So I wanna get my part over and done with, invite her to Islam, if she accepts Alhamdulilah if she rejects then I've done my part and thats it.

glo
07-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Yes he does, he is prolly more devout than most people and believes in it more than most Christians.

Erm, to the brother, I have spoken to her about Islam before, I spoke to her about the Bible and so forth, she replied like the mushriks and others throught the Koran replied.

I think there are different ways of dealing with people I have told her spoke to her and she has been firm, stubborn in the sense that she wouldnt even take a look at Islam.

So I wanna get my part over and done with, invite her to Islam, if she accepts Alhamdulilah if she rejects then I've done my part and thats it.
Hi Isa

I have said similar things to Fishman, and I will say them to you.

At present your mother doesn't even know that you are a Muslim ... did I understand that right?
From previous conversations you are quite clear that she is quite firmly against Islam. True?

Telling her that you are a Muslim will be shock enough (believe me, it would be for me, if my children did!). Do you really think that it would be the right time there and then to invite her into Islam??? :?

Isa, trust in God!
Yes, you want your mother to be right with God, and yes, you are convinced that the right way is Islam ... but please, give the poor woman some time to let it sink in, think and find her own path to God!
Finding truth is a long slow road for some! Your mother may have to struggle with Islam for a long time before she can accept it ... or indeed she may choose not to - ever!
Some people take years before they find the true path - just look at Woodrow as an example!

Don't pressure her, Isa. That's my advice!
I know it's hard, and you want to see her on the right path and saved from God's anger.
But this is about God working in your mother's life, and your ability to let him do so! This is not about 'What-can-I-say-or-do-to-make-my-mother-believe?'
There is no magic formula ... other than praying to God for guidance!

Thus endeth the sermon! :giggling:

Peace, little bro! :)

bint_muhammed
07-02-2006, 07:42 PM

:sl:
i know it may be frustrating but you know bro be aptient and your actions might persuade her. at the end of the day even if she converts or not, rememba she is your mother, dont give upon her!
:w:

IbnAbdulHakim
07-02-2006, 07:45 PM
I just wanted to say bro i'l remember you in my dua, plz let me kno how it goes. InshaAllah ur parents will accept and b of those who attend jannatul firdaus ;)

Abdul Fattah
07-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Isa let me give you a heads up, this will probably be extremely dificult to unerstand ,and you'll probably have to answer to all sorts of questions from suicide bombing to hijab, etc. and chances are, if she dislikes your conversion (simply because you are now difrent) that she'll take her frustration out on "islam" and it's very probable that things will be said -from both partys- that will be hurtfull for both partys. Just give her time to adapt to the idea, and remember the best dawah is to set a good example. If she sees you changing for the better she'll have no choice then seeing your reversion as "good". I can still remember the many fights and pain like it was yesterday, but be patient. Make dua for her and be patient. Try to explain and be patient. set an example and be patient. If you ever want some advice or just speak your heart, you can always pm me or ask through msn or google (ask for accountname via pm)
Inshallah it will be easyer for you then it was for me, but you should be prepared for the worst.

Umar001
07-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Ameen.

Umar001
07-02-2006, 08:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Hi Isa

I have said similar things to Fishman, and I will say them to you.

At present your mother doesn't even know that you are a Muslim ... did I understand that right?
From previous conversations you are quite clear that she is quite firmly against Islam. True?

Telling her that you are a Muslim will be shock enough (believe me, it would be for me, if my children did!). Do you really think that it would be the right time there and then to invite her into Islam??? :?

Isa, trust in God!
Yes, you want your mother to be right with God, and yes, you are convinced that the right way is Islam ... but please, give the poor woman some time to let it sink in, think and find her own path to God!
Finding truth is a long slow road for some! Your mother may have to struggle with Islam for a long time before she can accept it ... or indeed she may choose not to - ever!
Some people take years before they find the true path - just look at Woodrow as an example!

Don't pressure her, Isa. That's my advice!
I know it's hard, and you want to see her on the right path and saved from God's anger.
But this is about God working in your mother's life, and your ability to let him do so! This is not about 'What-can-I-say-or-do-to-make-my-mother-believe?'
There is no magic formula ... other than praying to God for guidance!

Thus endeth the sermon! :giggling:

Peace, little bro! :)
Thanks for your reply.

And of course I have considered it not being the right time. As I have said:

"I am a revert and God willing I will tell my mother about my reversion to Islam and depending on how it goes, I will then or if not maybe later ask her to accept Islam."

The reason I say this is because it is very clear that I am muslim, she and other members have seen my room littered with Qurans, Islamic leaflets, Learning Arabic cds and so on.

So this is why I dont think it will be much of a shock, it is not very out of the blue, when I was not a muslim and asked her about Christianity and talked to her about the Islamic point of view she saw my inclination and also I have told her I am not going church no more because I do not believe what they believe, so she has some idea.

So if she is not too shocked then I would but if she is, then of course I will take the steps you have mentioned.

And yes I would her to be muslim, but I have now taken that poitn of view that its her choice, its not that I do not care, but I now realise its upto her, if she doesnt then its ok with me I guess.

Anyhow thanks yall and peace

Abdul Fattah
07-02-2006, 08:35 PM
oh one more quick note, don't underestimate the power of denial. Maybe it's obvious that you have an interest in Islam, but for al she knows you might be doing a study to show how islam is teh religion of the devil or something among those lines. Hope that didn't came out offensive, I'm just saying, parents sometimes don't want to see stuff even if it's right in front of their nose.

glo
07-02-2006, 11:48 PM
Thanks for your reply.

And of course I have considered it not being the right time. As I have said:

"I am a revert and God willing I will tell my mother about my reversion to Islam and depending on how it goes, I will then or if not maybe later ask her to accept Islam."

The reason I say this is because it is very clear that I am muslim, she and other members have seen my room littered with Qurans, Islamic leaflets, Learning Arabic cds and so on.

So this is why I dont think it will be much of a shock, it is not very out of the blue, when I was not a muslim and asked her about Christianity and talked to her about the Islamic point of view she saw my inclination and also I have told her I am not going church no more because I do not believe what they believe, so she has some idea.

So if she is not too shocked then I would but if she is, then of course I will take the steps you have mentioned.

And yes I would her to be muslim, but I have now taken that poitn of view that its her choice, its not that I do not care, but I now realise its upto her, if she doesnt then its ok with me I guess.

Anyhow thanks yall and peace
Sounds like your mum should have at some idea about your interest in Islam ... even if she may not know about your conversion. Remember that for many Westerners Islamic ideas are very alien, so she may genuinely not expect you to go as far as convert.

I pray that the peace of God will be with you and your family when you share about your faith.

glo
07-02-2006, 11:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by steve
Isa let me give you a heads up, this will probably be extremely dificult to unerstand ,and you'll probably have to answer to all sorts of questions from suicide bombing to hijab, etc. and chances are, if she dislikes your conversion (simply because you are now difrent) that she'll take her frustration out on "islam" and it's very probable that things will be said -from both partys- that will be hurtfull for both partys. Just give her time to adapt to the idea, and remember the best dawah is to set a good example. If she sees you changing for the better she'll have no choice then seeing your reversion as "good". I can still remember the many fights and pain like it was yesterday, but be patient. Make dua for her and be patient. Try to explain and be patient. set an example and be patient. If you ever want some advice or just speak your heart, you can always pm me or ask through msn or google (ask for accountname via pm)
Inshallah it will be easyer for you then it was for me, but you should be prepared for the worst.
That's a wonderful post, Steve.
It speaks to my heart, because I have experienced these things (and still do) since I became a Christian.

I am glad that you walked through your difficult situation, and can now an encourager of other converts. :statisfie

Peace.

DigitalStorm82
07-03-2006, 12:03 AM
Asalamu Alaikum Bro,

I agree with everyone here... you need to be patient in giving dawah. It takes time for someone to accept and believe in an idea if they disliked it all their lives. Your job is to give dawah throughout your lifetime. Don't give up... You may say something today that will plant the seed of islam in her heart... and something later in her life might trigger it and she may convert. None the less, it is up to Allah to guide her or not... just make duah for her and keep your efforts strong.

Take Care,
W'salaamz,
Hamid

Umar001
07-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the response.

Steve I agree thats what I have thought.

She seems to have observed a difference in Muslims actually, let me explain:

She ones said to me, Dont let them confuse you, the Muslims of this country.. ANd I said what do you mean of this country, whats the difference, and she stated that, in this country the Muslims don't approach, they are not as friendly, they ask you 'Are you Muslim?' and if you say 'No' they jus say 'Dont matter then' as if they had something to say but when they find out you are not Muslim they dont speak about it. she went on to say how back in our country, the Muslims are more friendly, they would come over and talk and they would slaughter animals for each other and all would be friendly, there wouldnt be a divide.

And I totally understood her view because being from east Africa where there are alot of Muslims here everyone used to think I was Muslim when I wasnt and I have had people ask me if I were Muslim and I said no and they would jus say 'dont worry then' type of thing.

So I think she kinda knows but doesnt want to think about that.

glo
07-03-2006, 07:10 PM
I must say, Isa, that I too find the Muslims in my local community fairly unapproachable. They keep themselves to themselves, and seem to treat non-Muslims (which I very obviously am!) with almost some suspicion.

It's the reason I am in this forum - it seemed the only way to learn about Islam, despite the fact that I have a hundred Muslims living on my doorstep!

Hopefully there is a new generation of Muslims growing up in this country, one that will promote and be actively involved in communication with other faiths and groups.

And you could be one of them! :statisfie

peace.

Umar001
07-03-2006, 07:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I must say, Isa, that I too find the Muslims in my local community fairly unapproachable. They keep themselves to themselves, and seem to treat non-Muslims (which I very obviously am!) with almost some suspicion.

It's the reason I am in this forum - it seemed the only way to learn about Islam, despite the fact that I have a hundred Muslims living on my doorstep!

Hopefully there is a new generation of Muslims growing up in this country, one that will promote and be actively involved in communication with other faiths and groups.

And you could be one of them! :statisfie

peace.
Yea I think the raeson behind that is also cultural in the sense that it seems to be, round here anyway, the elders which are not so approachable, and because in Islam people are meanto be close and so on they use, understandably, this aspect of Islam as a security net, in a place that they feel they can hardly trust others.

Now Im not saying its our fault, because I myself have experienced this first hand and I have tried to be as friendly as possible, but it seems most of the elder seem to be very weary, which at the same time I can kind of understand since the safety net is not there for them.

But now I see the younger generation tending to be more and more approachable, because they have been brought up here and feel more comfortable, know the language properly, have been through the education system, feel like a person from that nation, all those aspects help one to step out of their safety zone, and G-d willing will help in interaction when appropiate.

Abdul Fattah
07-05-2006, 09:32 PM
So have you got any updates for us? Have you tried to tell her yet?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.