/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 'Arrested' donkey in cruelty row

Sis786
07-04-2006, 12:55 PM
'Arrested' donkey in cruelty row

Campaigners in India's Tamil Nadu state say the law is literally an ass after a judge ordered the arrest of a donkey.
The animal was kept overnight in a police station after being seized at a rally in which it was used to highlight alleged failings of local officials.

Police said the donkey was evidence from the "scene of a crime". They have been accused of animal cruelty.

The donkey's owners, meanwhile, say they are grateful to get it back after its period of incarceration.

They say that while it is good to have it home again, it is even more stubborn and bad-tempered than normal.

'Unmotivated and mulish'

The story began when two groups working in the district of Kancheepuram asked the animal's owners if they could borrow it as part of their campaign to promote land rights for Irula tribes people.

The Kancheepuram District People's Forum and the Sons of the Soil groups rented the donkey for use in a demonstration against what they say is the lethargy of the authorities in dealing with the issue.

A poster was hung from the donkey's neck during the protest earlier this week in which the district administration was caricatured as "slow to act, unmotivated and mulish".

This gesture angered members of the administration, who filed a complaint with police against the two groups.

They complained that they had been "derided" in the demonstration.

Police then arrested the demonstrators and materials used by them including a tent, a loudspeaker and an amplifier, as well as the donkey.

Detention order

By the time they took the case before Magistrate IG Uthamaraj, it was late in the day. So he remanded the detainees - and the donkey - overnight in custody.

"If the law supposes that... The law is an ass - an idiot
Mr Bumble in Charles ****ens' Oliver Twist

Bewildered police say they did not expect this development, because the usual practice is for animals at crime scenes to be returned to their owners.

But because the animal's owners could not be traced, the magistrate said he had not option but to order its detention.

Officers were heard to complain that their four-legged prisoner was not the easiest of detainees, and was upset about everything from food and drink to the standard of accommodation.

Fortunately for police, the donkey's owners were traced the next day.

They said that they were unaware that the animal had been used for a demonstration when they agreed to hire it out.

Now police have filed a case against the two campaigning groups for animal cruelty. They in turn have accused the police of cruelty.

Owners of the donkey, meanwhile, joke that it is now consulting its lawyers with a view to suing both parties

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Asyur an-Nagi
07-04-2006, 01:00 PM
what a life we live?

Sis786
07-04-2006, 01:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zÂk
:sl:

talk of weird news... n INDIA is on top :shade:

talk of Donkeys... n the poster must be Sis786 :brother:
Zak I now have a personal GRUDGE against your country i mean LOOK at the Donkey its soooooooooooooooooooo sweet! i feel like crying ..infact :yawn: :uuh: :playing:

Malaikah
07-04-2006, 01:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sis786
Zak I now have a personal GRUDGE against your country i mean LOOK at the Donkey its soooooooooooooooooooo sweet! i feel like crying ..infact :yawn: :uuh: :playing:

you know what i must agree! thats the cutest donkey ive ever seen!! mashaallah:wub:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
07-04-2006, 01:16 PM

^^ im equally shocked i didnt know they can be cute lol

IceQueen~
07-04-2006, 01:18 PM
just cos' donkeys are supposed to be dumb and 'brey' when they see the devil and are criticised for their shrill voices doesn't mean we can be cruel to animals.

Sis786
07-04-2006, 01:20 PM
eeeeeks every donkey is...just....+o(

how can they be SWEET n CUTE :brother:
U are BLIND BLIND BLIND! And Cheese Donkeys are sooooo cute in real life trust me!

p.s Cheese rep from me!

Sis786
07-04-2006, 01:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Marya1
just cos' donkeys are supposed to be dumb and 'brey' when they see the devil and are criticised for their shrill voices doesn't mean we can be cruel to animals.
Im offended :offended:

Mawaddah
07-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Awwww how could they arrest that poor Donkey!! :'( and that Donkey is just about one of the cutest handsomest ones I've ever seen!!

Boy.....talk about weird news from India ;D

IceQueen~
07-04-2006, 01:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sis786
Im offended :offended:
why? i said that does NOT mean we can be cruel

Sis786
07-04-2006, 01:27 PM
why? i said that does NOT mean we can be cruel
Sis donkeys are NOT DUMB! They are really clever and misunderstood!

IceQueen~
07-04-2006, 01:32 PM
i never said they are dumb- i said they are supposed to be-as in people think they are

aamirsaab
07-04-2006, 01:35 PM
This thread has made my day - sometimes, the behaviour of mankind is freakin' hilarious: arresting a donkey - LOL.

MinAhlilHadeeth
07-04-2006, 02:33 PM

talk of weird news... n INDIA is on top :shade:

talk of Donkeys... n the poster must be Sis786 :brother:
Yeah lol. I knew it was her when I saw the word 'donkey'in the thread title.
W'salaam

IceQueen~
07-04-2006, 02:34 PM
does this sister like donkeys? no wonder she got offended...sorry sis

07-04-2006, 02:35 PM
i think i'll put up horsey power lol :D

Sis786
07-04-2006, 02:36 PM
does this sister like donkeys? no wonder she got offended...sorry sis
Aww u alright sis BUT NEVER LISTEN TO MAN KIND they are THICK as this thread has prooved Donkeys are beeeeeeeeeeeeeeautful animals and really smart and strong!!:thankyou:

IceQueen~
07-04-2006, 02:41 PM
don't you like any other animals? are donkeys ur fave?

Sis786
07-04-2006, 03:50 PM
don't you like any other animals? are donkeys ur fave?
Yeah def hmm dont mind the rest aint no keen on Dogs but yeah Mashallah lovve donkeys!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.