/* */

PDA

View Full Version : British gov’t disappointed Muslim community

sonz
07-05-2006, 09:56 AM
A Labour MP criticized the British government for failing to fulfill its promise to engage the Muslim community in the wake of the July 7 London bombings, Reuters news agency reported.

Sadiq Khan, a British-born Muslim, said that the government “marched all these talented these talented British Muslims up the hill of consultation and dialogue only to march them down again.”

Prime Minister Tony Blair set up a Muslim task force after the London attacks.

More than 1,000 Muslim clerics and Imams came up with up to 64 proposals to integrate the Muslim community and tackle extremism, including a call for a full public inquiry into the July bombings.

But task force members say only one of the recommendations has been fully implemented, and that the government shelved the rest of the proposals, with no timetable or funding for their implementation.

Phil Woolas, minister for communities and local government, claimed that the government had acted on many of the proposals, but admitted that it refused to launch a public probe.

However, he insisted that relations with the Muslim community were improving.

"We are seeing a turnaround whereby Muslim youngsters as well as the leaders and elders are taking on the responsibility for their arguments themselves -- that is our strategy and I believe it is the only one that can succeed," he told BBC radio.

But Khan, the Labour MP for Tooting who participated in the policing group on the task force, says that task force members are now frustrated, warning that some Muslims would feel yet more alienated.

"The Muslims on the task force are among the brightest and ablest in Britain, who gave many hours of their time to come up with the very best ideas on integration and tackling extremism. Now they are coming up to MPs like me and asking what is going on." Khan said.

AlJazeera

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nablus
07-05-2006, 10:48 AM
But Khan, the Labour MP for Tooting who participated in the policing group on the task force, says that task force members are now frustrated, warning that some Muslims would feel yet more alienated.
Spreading Islam is a nightmare for the west

searchingsoul
07-07-2006, 07:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nablus
Spreading Islam is a nightmare for the west
True. I think that the West wishes to focus on integration, not spreading Islam. I'm curious as to what the proposals were. I can't approve or disapprove of the failure to implement the proposals, without knowing what they were.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.