/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Throwing food away - Haram or Halal?

Starseeker
07-05-2006, 06:16 PM
:sl:
I want to know IF throwing food away is haram or Halal.

I was raised up not to throw food away and I once said to onw of my friend 'you shouldn't throw your food away' she then said 'wheres your evidence'

So I wouls be grateful is someone could give me some evidence about what Islam says aboout throwing food away.
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
07-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Presumably you mean throwing good food away, which can still be eaten ... just because there is too much of it?

I don't know if it's halaal or haram, but I don't like to throw food away at all! If at all possible I will use left-overs in the children's lunch boxes the next day, or put them into next day's meal.
I don't like wastefulness of any kind, really.

But I wonder about those cultures, where it is customary to make surplus food for any unexpected guests or visitors. Having food left over must be fairly regular occurance. :?

My guess is that those housewifes have to be extra crafty in their cooking skills! :)

peace

Mawaddah
07-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'aala says " And eat and Drink And Do not waste Verily Allah does not love those who Waste"

It's Haraam sis, plain and clear :)

I personally hate to see food being wasted, and it's like a pain when I see people just throwing away their food without a care. It's like they are so ungrateful towards Allah's ni3mah that he has bestowed upon them :(.

Rasulullah sallallahu alaihi wa sallam was walking one time when he came across a date on the ground, he picked it up and said "By Allah, if only I hadn't feared that it was from Sadaqah, I would have eaten it "

Salah ad-din
07-05-2006, 07:17 PM
This is a matter of common sense.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the food is bad then yes. We are not to give to another what we wouldn't for our self, but why throw away good food? I see people do this all the time.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MusLiM 4 LiFe
07-05-2006, 07:21 PM
i never waste my food.. and i try not to leave the tap on.. cuz its mean 2 da ppl who dont have wot we have..

the only reason i threw my food away wen i was ill and i cudnt eat it.. and it wasnt reuseable kinda ting :?

glo
07-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Sadly, we live in a throw-away-society! +o(

But if we all do out bit ... who knows what we can achieve! :thankyou:

AvarAllahNoor
07-05-2006, 07:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Presumably you mean throwing good food away, which can still be eaten ... just because there is too much of it?

I don't know if it's halaal or haram, but I don't like to throw food away at all! If at all possible I will use left-overs in the children's lunch boxes the next day, or put them into next day's meal.
I don't like wastefulness of any kind, really.

But I wonder about those cultures, where it is customary to make surplus food for any unexpected guests or visitors. Having food left over must be fairly regular occurance. :?

My guess is that those housewifes have to be extra crafty in their cooking skills! :)

peace
Well it's common sense not to throw food away, because millions are starving all over the world, so i try not to take it for granted.

I only pour as much as i can eat.

muslim_friend
07-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Hmmmmm... I read somewhere that when the Prophet did not like the food he was served, he would never complain about it, but would stop eating it..

maani.jee
02-27-2011, 04:29 AM
Praise be to Allaah.
It is not permissible to throw leftover food and drink that can be used down the drain or to put them out with the trash.
In Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (22/341) it says: Leftover food must be saved for the next time or it should be given to the needy; if there are no needy people, then it should be given to animals, even after it has dried out, for the one who is able to do that. End quote.
Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allah have mercy on him) said:
With regard to bread, meat and other kinds of food, it is not permissible to throw them in the dumpster; rather they should be given to those who need them, or they should be put in a visible place where they will not be mistreated, in the hope that someone who needs them for his animals will take them, or they will be eaten by some animals or birds.
It is not permissible to put leftovers in the trash or impure places or in the road, because that is mistreatment of them, and because putting them in the road is mistreating them and causes annoyance to those who use the road.
End quote from Fataawa Islamiyyah, 3/633
Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan (may Allah preserve him) said: It is not permissible to throw any food into dirty places or impure places such as washrooms, because that is a waste, mistreatment of the blessing and a lack of gratitude to Allah.
The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) found a date in the road and said “Were it not that I am afraid that it came from the zakaah, I would have eaten it.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari in his Saheeh. And he (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) ordered the one who eats to lick his fingers before washing them or wiping them on a handkerchief, and he instructed that if a piece of food is dropped, it should be picked up and any dirt should be removed from it, and it should be eaten.
This indicates that it is not permissible to throw any kind of food, dates or other eatables in dirty or impure places; rather the blessing should be respected and preserved, because that is part of gratitude for it, and because this blessing may come to one who needs it and will eat it, even animals. So throwing it in the garbage is not permissible. End quote.
With regard to food that is not good or that has gone off, and drinks that cannot be used, such as leftover tea and coffee, there is nothing wrong with throwing them out with the trash or into drains.
Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allah have mercy on him) was asked: What is the ruling on students throwing leftover food and drink in the trash?
He replied: As for that which cannot be eaten, such as the peels of oranges, apples and bananas and so on, there is nothing wrong with that because this has no value in and of itself.
But with regard to things that may be eaten, such as leftover bread, condiments and the like, they should not be thrown in dirty places. If they must be thrown into the trash, then they should be placed in a separate bag, so that the cleaners will know that they are to be respected.
End quote from Fataawa Noor ‘ala al-Darb, 6/205

And Allah knows best.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.