/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fat tax?

afriend
07-06-2006, 11:46 AM
:sl:

I have heard that they might be introducing a fat/obesity tax in Britain...Good idea i think........;D

Any views?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
j4763
07-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Good idea imo too :giggling:

Ghazi
07-06-2006, 11:50 AM

LoL subhanallah well if people aint motivated by the helth risk then I don't see money doing it, but I bet it'll work if they made it a huge amount of money and imposed a ration system.

Umar001
07-06-2006, 11:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram

I have heard that they might be introducing a fat/obesity tax in Britain...Good idea i think........;D

Any views?

I thought it would be good but then I was worried, you here about people that cant loose weight or are just fat, I mean I really used to dislike big people, specially cos I take the bus and they always seem to sit next to me and although I pay a full fare, i get half of the seat while they pay one fare and get their seat and mine.

but I think i've learnt to be more tolerant, in the sense that, some people are just fat and cant help it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
j4763
07-06-2006, 12:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
some people are just fat and cant help it.
Rubbish! There just lazy, and cant be arsed to go to the gym. So many over weight people think by just going on a diet will lose all the weight and it never works, they need to get down the gym.

In saying that many fattys seem to be embarrassed about going to the gym because what others might say, trust me if your fat and go to the gym all people are think about you is “good on ya” or “at least their trying” unlike what people will think when they see over weight people queuing in burger king! :grumbling

Sis786
07-06-2006, 12:52 PM

07-06-2006, 01:07 PM
I used to wonder why fat people don't just slim down, but i've realised that some people just can't. And so i'd rather be grateful to Allah for being not being fat than for making fun of fat people.

Nawal89
07-06-2006, 01:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asma1
I used to wonder why fat people don't just slim down, but i've realised that some people just can't. And so i'd rather be grateful to Allah for being not being fat than for making fun of fat people.
Nobody "cant just slim dont" everyone can if they try harder, if they got up and moved. A person might be "thicker" than the next but no one ever has to be fat.
You just need to eat properly and treat your body like its supposed to be treated then you wont be fat. The tax sounds like a good idea.

Sis786
07-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Maybe this Tax will seperate those who can from thise who cant But i do agree with Nawal we can all slim down!! And its a part of our faith to look after ourselves

07-06-2006, 01:13 PM
^ yeah i know what ur saying but what about those people with an illness?

j4763
07-06-2006, 01:19 PM
^ yeah i know what ur saying but what about those people with an illness?
What illness? The only illness that could make one fat is a mental one.

No illness makes you gain weight, in fact illness makes you lose weight in most cases.

Nawal89
07-06-2006, 01:20 PM
^people get sick because they dont take care of themselves, then they go to pills and sometimes those pills make them fat. That happened to my friends mom. It was teh side effect of a drug she was taking :X
TAke care of yourself and inshaAllah you wont get sick. Then you wont have to eat all those poison drugs.

j4763
07-06-2006, 01:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
^people get sick because they dont take care of themselves, then they go to pills and sometimes those pills make them fat. That happened to my friends mom. It was teh side effect of a drug she was taking :X
TAke care of yourself and inshaAllah you wont get sick. Then you wont have to eat all those poison drugs.
Steroids? After the medication one still as the ability to lose weight.

amirah_87
07-06-2006, 01:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by j4763

No illness makes you gain weight, in fact illness makes you lose weight in most cases.
ASS SALAAMU ALAYKUM

FAT-TAX!!...This would'nt be such a good idea!!...there is actually an illness in where ppl do gain weight, i've even seen this occur in children and trust me it isn't an easy thing for them to cope with , especially at such a small age!!

The only illness that could make one fat is a mental one.
Astaqfirullah!! :heated:

wa alaykum ass salaam

j4763
07-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Any idea what this illness that makes you gain weight is called? Because i've never heard of it?

oh and by "The only illness that could make one fat is a mental one." i mean emotional factors such as guilt, depression, and anxiety (which are all mental issues).

amirah_87
07-06-2006, 01:34 PM
ass salaamu alaykum

i can't remember the name @ the Mo' but i'll have a look around inshaAllah!!

wa alaykum ass salaam

Sis786
07-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Any idea what this illness that makes you gain weight is called? Because i've never heard of it?
Yeah me too aint heard of a illness that makes you gain weight! Even with children its to do with diet and lack of exercise!

07-06-2006, 01:38 PM
i totally agree with u sis amirah :thumbs_up

j4763
07-06-2006, 01:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sis786
Even with children its to do with diet and lack of exercise!
Have to agree with you there! How many children are allowed to munch loads of sweets and crisps and do little exercise... loads!

I see more and more podgy kids these days, they eat fast food and sit in a watch tv all day. No wonder there fat! But the parents are to blame for letting them get like that.

Nawal89
07-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Have to agree with you there! How many children are allowed to munch loads of sweets and crisps and do little exercise... loads!

I see more and more podgy kids these days, they eat fast food and sit in a watch tv all day. No wonder there fat! But the parents are to blame for letting them get like that.
true. And the amount they eat is amazing. The things they eat is horrible too. Plus the Tv..computer..games..They dont even know how to make mud houses anymore :(

j4763
07-06-2006, 01:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
ass salaamu alaykum

i can't remember the name @ the Mo' but i'll have a look around inshaAllah!!

wa alaykum ass salaam
Hmm... I seem to remember something where people couldn't stop eating because there body didn't know how to tell the brain that they were full up so they were constantly hungry. Dont know if this was the one you were thinking of? (i still see it as a mental issue though :X )

Sis786
07-06-2006, 01:52 PM
true. And the amount they eat is amazing. The things they eat is horrible too. Plus the Tv..computer..games..They dont even know how to make mud houses anymore :(
lol ;D Mud Houses sis come on even you aint that old lol

Perfect example instead of playing football in real they play on the computer!

j4763
07-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Mud house's? I guess thats like sand castles no? But your right they dont know anything about there natural surroundings. I think here is where the west is going wrong, the kids are spoilt!

amirah_87
07-06-2006, 01:56 PM
ass salaamu alaykum

yeah that's true too...too much junk nowadays :heated:

J4763..found this article online:
Obesity is caused by two simple factors - an unhealthy diet (typically too rich in sugar and fats) and not taking enough exercise. Occasionally there are other factors, for example in a rare genetic condition called Prader-Willi syndrome there may be problems with controlling hunger. Hypothyroidism and Cushing's syndrome can also cause obesity.

it goes on too exampling the conditions but it's abit long so....
the PWS is the one i was trying to remember!!..:happy:

wa alaykum ass salaam

07-06-2006, 01:57 PM
^^ yeah kids nowadays are usually spoilt and most of them do need to get more exercise...

chacha_jalebi
07-06-2006, 01:58 PM
der wudnt b a tax problemoo if they all jus listened 2 d hadiths of RasoolAllah (saw) "the stomach has 3 parts, fill 1/3 of it with food, the other 1/3 with water & leave the other 1/3 for air"

but but but its tru their is bare junk, but ders nuttin betta den junk :p chicken n chips mmmmmmm :D

so ppl sud jus eat in moderation n exercise!!!

Nawal89
07-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Mud house's? I guess thats like sand castles no? But your right they dont know anything about there natural surroundings. I think here is where the west is going wrong, the kids are spoilt!
dont tell me you guys didnt play in dirt when you all were young. :giggling: :giggling:

07-06-2006, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't do anything to pay more tax coz it's all going to a useless cause..There really isn't any point.. Zakat is way better and there is so much wisdom behind it.

amirah_87
07-06-2006, 02:02 PM
^^^^ as salaamu alaykum

heheeee...well i know we sure did Nawaal!! ;D;D;D

wa alaykum as salaam

Sis786
07-06-2006, 02:07 PM
dont tell me you guys didnt play in dirt when you all were young. :giggling: :giggling:
;D yes sis but dont knwo about making mud houses ;D

Mawaddah
07-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Kids these days simply have NO DISCIPLINE
And the amount they eat is amazing!!
I feel sick when I see them lounging in front of TV all day.
If you go on any penpal website, or MySpace or anything, you will see them list their hobbies as "Watching Movies, Listening to Music"
It's so terrible!! They hardly even know how to do anything outside. No wonder they're fat!!
True there are some disorders which cause people to gain weight rapidly, but come on.....how many obese people actually have this disorder? It's mostly 95% due to sheer laziness and lack of self control when it comes to eating.

Although I have read that in America, it is the poor who are more obese than the well off? how did this come about?

Rasulullah said "The Beleiver eats for one stomach, the Disbeleiver eats for seven"

Woodrow
07-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Obesity is really very sad. It has become a plague for us in the Western World. True many times it is caused simply by overeating or poor eating habits and lack of exercize, however that is not the only cause. There are a number of metabolic disorers that also result in either obesity or malnourishment. I am on the opposite side of the spectrum I have a very difficult time gaining weight to a healthy level. My thyroid system is totaly messed up and I loose weight very rapidly and have a hard time gaining. I probably eat twice as much as most people my height and age, yet I have a very difficult time keeping weight on.

07-06-2006, 02:37 PM
^yeah i dunno what my problem is but i can always eat as much as i want safely:D

Mawaddah
07-06-2006, 02:38 PM
^ Alhamdulillah for you then sis :( I have to controll my eating because I tend to put on weight.......but alhamdulillah so far I've been able to control it perfectly well and I'm ok. But still it's kinda frustrating sometimes to cut out so many things.
But then.....it's all for our health right :) without our health we can't do anything!!

amirah_87
07-06-2006, 02:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Obesity is really very sad. It has become a plague for us in the Western World. True many times it is caused simply by overeating or poor eating habits and lack of exercize, however that is not the only cause. There are a number of metabolic disorers that also result in either obesity or malnourishment. I am on the opposite side of the spectrum I have a very difficult time gaining weight to a healthy level. My thyroid system is totaly messed up and I loose weight very rapidly and have a hard time gaining. I probably eat twice as much as most people my height and age, yet I have a very difficult time keeping weight on.
ass salaamu alaykum

so is your condition hypothyroidism akhee?

wa alaykum ass salaam

Sis786
07-06-2006, 03:05 PM
^yeah i dunno what my problem is but i can always eat as much as i want safely:D
[PIE]£"%"$^$^£%^&:rant: [/PIE]

Lol sis not many of us can say that. I have to go to the Gym twice a week to stay fit and even my hubby has to go jogging its all hard work!

searcheroftruth
07-06-2006, 06:36 PM
i think this idea is just takin it a step to far fat tax lol

Ghazi
07-06-2006, 06:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by searcheroftruth
i think this idea is just takin it a step to far fat tax lol

We know you need it fat boy lol.

afriend
07-06-2006, 07:28 PM
Yes, obviously there are going to be people who have illnesses....But the government isn't stupid (well, maybe they are..But still;D) they will check up on all of that......

It's a bit like when the government calculates your tax....

It's not fair...I eat and eat and eat...But I'm still called a stick/skinny.....:(

Far7an
07-06-2006, 07:29 PM

Where did you hear about this?

afriend
07-06-2006, 07:30 PM
urm......They were doing some report on BBC news......I think it was dateline (no not that kind of Date Line :rollseyes)

Far7an
07-06-2006, 07:32 PM

:lol: Bro, it doesn't mean all those who are fat or obese will get taxed.

Read more about it here.

j4763
07-06-2006, 07:34 PM

It's not fair...I eat and eat and eat...But I'm still called a stick/skinny.....:(
I can so sympathise with you, I’m the same :( . We skinny gits get the raw deal. The attention is always on the fatter people. (although I’d rather me skinny that fat).

afriend
07-06-2006, 07:36 PM
^LOL..Yeah same here....

OMG!!!!!!!! Not the food NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need that type of food to live...

Woodrow
07-06-2006, 07:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
ass salaamu alaykum

wa alaykum ass salaam
Origianly it was hyperthyroidism, but some of the early treatment messed it up more, so now it is totaly non-functioning. Most people with a non-functioning thyroid usualy gain weight, for some reason I did the opposite. I also have a few other problems that contribute to the weight loss.

Muezzin
07-06-2006, 09:47 PM

Any views?
As amusing as this sounds, it's not morally right to economically punish fat people in addition to all the social punishment they receive.

That said, if obesity is due to over-eating, my personal view is these sorts of people should forget these namby-pampy diets, and instead just eat less and do more exercise.

catmando
07-07-2006, 01:16 AM
Rubbish! There just lazy, and cant be arsed to go to the gym. So many over weight people think by just going on a diet will lose all the weight and it never works, they need to get down the gym.

In saying that many fattys seem to be embarrassed about going to the gym because what others might say, trust me if your fat and go to the gym all people are think about you is “good on ya” or “at least their trying” unlike what people will think when they see over weight people queuing in burger king! :grumbling
I work out at a gym, but when I quit smoking last year I gained 30 pounds. :( It's been hard at my age(62) to lose the belly, but I'm on a program to do it within say 4 months. The overweight folks I see at the gym I applaud, but those who still eat the Western diet as given by the FDA are not going to be successful.

searchingsoul
07-07-2006, 06:51 AM
I hope the USA develops a "fat tax". It makes since since tobacco and alcohol are taxed heavily.

Asyur an-Nagi
07-07-2006, 07:05 AM

there is a disease when a certain brain portion got interrupted by minor epilepsy when u can't control your apetite. it could make someone feed himself to death.

searchingsoul
07-07-2006, 07:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asyur an-Nagi
there is a disease when a certain brain portion got interrupted by minor epilepsy when u can't control your apetite. it could make someone feed himself to death.

Their are emotional or psychological illnesses (or disorders) that can make people gain weight. We also need to remember that emotional and psychological illnesses also cause people to smoke, drink alcohol excessively, fornicate, abuse other humans, etc....

x Maz x
07-07-2006, 01:36 PM
AsalaamuAlaykum,
Bismillah and I hope this reaches you in the best of Iman and health,
Hypothyroidism is the hypothyroid gland located at the topper bit of the neck that is crucial for producing essential hormones stops functioning, thus meaning when it doesn’t carry out this job it doesn’t produce vital hormones such as calcium which consequently means there is a decrease in metabolism and other thyroid related issues are commonly associated with problems in the reproductive system , It’s a condition that I am currently suffering from unfortunately and it means one must undertake life long treatment; medication.

Woodrow dearest akhi, May Allah make your life easy for you and help increase your level of health and iman, Ameen although I got to say despite the fact I been on meds for so long I haven’t put on weight Alhamdilullah, hmmm none that I am aware of Lol…InshAllah be strict with your medication and have healthy meals :)…I feel for you brother and those alike who suffer from these kind of illnesses, tis not nice but then there are people far worse then both you and myself. Therefore be grateful of what you have and dwell over the blessings from thy Lord, SubahanAllah there are people with no limbs, haemophillia, cancer, tumors etc so yano all praise be due to Allah All-Mighty…

As for obesity, if them fattos stop eating and instead munch on a carrot now and again would do the whole world a lot of good, Raah the amount they spend feeding their podgy stomachs can go towards those whom are really in need of it, Daym our people so ungrateful and eat excessively… “comfort eating” my left foot, since when did chocolate/sweets/fatty foods become a medical remedy? More like put on the dozens of a calories and right down an early Janazah Yeesh, I pray Allah guides those whom are too fat for my liking and praise the wonders of Allah who has provided for them and then they reflect to those whom struggle to attain a morsel of food and take heed inshAllah…

MashAllah akhi chacha_jalebi for the hadith BarakAllah feekhi, Your quite right, all those who are festively pump stop whilst you still can and those who are a bit on the bouncy balloon side of life please introduce a treadmill or a boxing arena to your house,

Wa’AlaykumAsalaam and Fi amanAllah x

Far7an
07-07-2006, 03:11 PM

Iqram, if they were going to tax 'fat' people, would you be entitled to benefits?

searchingsoul
07-07-2006, 04:54 PM
I want to clarify that I don't dislike fat people. I in fact am a bit fat. I just find hypocrisy in many of the taxes which currently exist for items deemed to be harmful to the health. Let's be honest, being fat causes as much harm to our health as about anything else.

I LOVE FAT PEOPLE. I LOVE MY FAT SELF. I LOVE FAT PEOPLE. I LOVE MY FAT SELF.I LOVE FAT PEOPLE. I LOVE MY FAT SELF.I LOVE FAT PEOPLE. I LOVE MY FAT SELF.

Ghazi
07-07-2006, 04:57 PM

I know an excellent way to burn calories, the gym isn't motivation enough for some people how about you wear one of those sumo suits and head gear and get the police to set their dogs on you you'll be burning calories as fast as you munch of a Big Mac.

j4763
07-10-2006, 12:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by catmando
I work out at a gym, but when I quit smoking last year I gained 30 pounds. :( It's been hard at my age(62) to lose the belly, but I'm on a program to do it within say 4 months. The overweight folks I see at the gym I applaud, but those who still eat the Western diet as given by the FDA are not going to be successful.

Well good on you!

You gained some weight due to the quitting of smoking (another good on you) and put on some weight. Many would do nothing, maybe go on a diet. But you did more (which imo is needed) and went to the gym.
It maybe harder for older folks (hope not to offend) to lose wait as there metabolism slows down.

I have not once seen an overweight person in my gym and had a negative thought! (That only happens in McDonalds).

I myself can eat what I wish and not gain weight (some may see that as lucky, but to me it’s a bourdon). I joined the gym to bulk up a bit (its worked too :) ) but I was a bit worried that people would think about me as I would be the skinny git amongst a load of beefcakes. I got over what others thought of me and just did it

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!