/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Worried about my brother

anonymous
07-07-2006, 12:47 AM
:sl:

I am very much concerned about him. I would have to explain what he's like first before I describe the problem.

He is a very quiet person, he doesn't talk much, somewhat shy, overall a good person mashaAllah. I guess that's a good thing.

But lately he's developed some ideas about islam. He stopped praying and doesn't want to read the Quran. I asked him why. He said that he can't read Arabic, and he forgot all the Arabic he learned before. I tell him that he should learn more and keep practising on a daily basis so he won't forget. But he won't listen to me. He even told me that he doesn't need to learn Arabic, he's got the translation. Astagfirullah.

I've tried reasoning with him, talked to him for hours to convince him that it's important that he learn Arabic. Still no use. He's very stubborn. My dad tried teaching him, he refused. He signed him up to take Arabic classes, he didn't go. My bro and my dad haven't been getting along too well these days so my dad gave up on him. He told me to fix him because I'm the only one he talks to. But I'm just out of ideas now.

What do I say to him, is there any other way I can approach him when I explain to him. Any proof I can show him that says that he needs to learn Arabic so he'd read the Quran and start praying. He's always asking me for proof but I think he's trying to avoid his problem of not being able to learn a different language.

And my dad's kind of pressuring me to fix him :grumbling

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aishaazher
07-07-2006, 01:00 AM
umm...well i explained this to my bro.
i told him about the different sentences in arabic....there are two different kinds...nominal and verbal...but in english there is only one...nominal...so when you translate a verbal senctence into english...then it looses its sense and the sentence structure is messed up....tht is why arabic can't be translated into english.....so if you are reading the english translation then you are missing a lot of stuff.....and i just explained this to my bro...with some examples....he asked what is the difference between a nominal and a verbal sentence.....i said a verbal sentence starts with a verb and a nominal sentence starts with a noun....and a verbal sentence has more feeling to it...example: once the non-muslims..of makkah.......hated the rasul(saw)...Prophet muhammad was reciting qur'an and the kufars were listening....and the surah he was reciting.....it told them to bow down and make a sujud.....and imediatly all the kufars....bowed down and made a sujud with out even realising it......subhannalllah...........this is the power of the quran.....and insha'allah your bro will realise this.....also, keep him in good company....make sure his friends will help him
~Aisha~

DigitalStorm82
07-09-2006, 02:15 AM
Asalamu Alaikum Sis,

Obviously he won't listen to anyone because he doesn't like being told what to do...

I think you shouldn't focus on the "learning arabic" part... but more on the motivation side.

Inspire him... show him the beauty of Islam... make him see how beautiful the religion of Islam is... show him some miracles of the Quran... show him that Islam is the truth... once he is convinced... he will motivate himself to learn...

you have to find the key which triggers his motivation to learn about Islam... not necessarily arabic. once he feels good and motivated about Islam.. he'll want to learn himself.

If you tell him to pray right off the bat... he'll just say no... you have to soften his heart first...

there are alot of videos he can watch...

Miracles of Quran --> www.harunyahya.com

Zakir Naik --> Google Video Search --> Debates

May Allah help you Inshallah

W'salaamz,
Hamid

ManchesterFolk
07-09-2006, 02:17 AM
Maybe he doesn't need to be 'fixed'

Maybe he just is no interested in Arabic.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Skillganon
07-09-2006, 08:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
:sl:

I am very much concerned about him. I would have to explain what he's like first before I describe the problem.

He is a very quiet person, he doesn't talk much, somewhat shy, overall a good person mashaAllah. I guess that's a good thing.

But lately he's developed some ideas about islam. He stopped praying and doesn't want to read the Quran. I asked him why. He said that he can't read Arabic, and he forgot all the Arabic he learned before. I tell him that he should learn more and keep practising on a daily basis so he won't forget. But he won't listen to me. He even told me that he doesn't need to learn Arabic, he's got the translation. Astagfirullah.

I've tried reasoning with him, talked to him for hours to convince him that it's important that he learn Arabic. Still no use. He's very stubborn. My dad tried teaching him, he refused. He signed him up to take Arabic classes, he didn't go. My bro and my dad haven't been getting along too well these days so my dad gave up on him. He told me to fix him because I'm the only one he talks to. But I'm just out of ideas now.

What do I say to him, is there any other way I can approach him when I explain to him. Any proof I can show him that says that he needs to learn Arabic so he'd read the Quran and start praying. He's always asking me for proof but I think he's trying to avoid his problem of not being able to learn a different language.

And my dad's kind of pressuring me to fix him :grumbling

:w:
I know what will be effective, how about instead of just teaching him to read arabic, why not give him classes on learning the arabic language. So when he reads it, in arabic he will understand it.

The reason he is going to the translation and neglecting the Quran is because he does not understand what he is reading in arabic.

Umar001
07-09-2006, 08:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
He stopped praying and doesn't want to read the Quran.

I dont see why your asking about learning arabic when you wrote that he has stoped praying, surely that signals a bigger problem, not that he jus doesnt want to learn arabic because he has an english translation.

Maybe he doesnt see any 'benefit' in the sense that he doesnt hold the Quran to be the Word of G-d. Or something, I would ask him why he stopped praying instaed of the Arabic thing sister.

person
07-10-2006, 11:38 AM
keep trying but Allah takes away guidance and gives guidance to whoever He wills. Allah knows that you have tried.

Daffodil
07-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Asalamulaikum

Why are u stressing him out about learning arabic, when hes not even reading his salah, his salah is more important then learning arabic. because thats the first thing he will be asked about on the day of judgment n is one of the five pillars of islam n prayer is the one thing that seperates a believer from a disbeliever.

What i wud do is concentrate on him getting back into the routine of reading his salah, start with one then next week tell him to try reading two and so on untill hes reading them all in the masjid inshallah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.