/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Long Hair

furyX721
07-07-2006, 03:25 AM
:sl:
I wanted to know, is it ok to have long hair for men? Not long that it reaches your back, but long like it reaches little bit above the bottom of the neck. I heard somewhere that the Prophet (SAW) had hair up to his shoulders. Is that true? And if yes, can you please show the proof? Thanks!
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Anonymous.92
07-07-2006, 03:43 AM
Yes the Prophet had hair always between the earlobes and the shoulders. Sorry I don't have the reference.

Umm___
07-07-2006, 09:45 PM
:sl: akhi

Islam Questions & Answers
www.islam-qa.com
Question Reference Number:: 69822
Title: Braiding men's hair

Home > Jurisprudence and Islamic Rulings > Customs and traditions > Clothing, adornment and images > Adornments >
Question:

My husband asked me to braid his hair, and I asked him about the ruling on that in Islam. He quoted the views of some scholars about braiding men's hair ? is that correct? I am asking about this not because I don't believe him, but because I want to know whether there is another opinion, because this is something strange for me.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Letting the hair grow long is not a Sunnah for which the Muslim will be rewarded, rather it is the matter of custom and tradition. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) both let his hair grow long and shaved it, and he did not say that there was any reward for growing the hair long, nor is there any sin in shaving it, but he commanded men to take care of their hair.

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever has hair, let him take care of it." Narrated by Abu Dawood, 4163; classed as hasan by al-Haafiz ibn Hajar in Fath al-Baari, 10/368.

It was narrated that Aa'ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: "I used to comb the hair of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) when I was menstruating". Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 291.

The hair of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came down to his earlobes, or between his ears and his shoulders, or it reached his shoulders. When his hair grew long, he would put it in four braids.

It was narrated from Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the hair of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) reached his shoulders. Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5563; Muslim, 2338.

Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The hair of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came down between his ears and his shoulders. Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5565; Muslim, 2338.

According to a report narrated by Muslim: The hair of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came halfway down his ears.

It was narrated that Aa'ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: The hair of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came down longer than his earlobes and shorter than his shoulders. Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1755; Abu Dawood, 4187; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

It was narrated that Umm Haani (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came to Makkah and he had four braids. Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1781; Abu Dawood, 4191; Ibn Maajah, 3631; classed as hasan by Ibn Hajar in Fath al-Baari; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Mukhtasar al-Shamaa?il, 23.

Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

What is indicated by the hadeeth is that his hair usually came down to his shoulders, and sometimes it was so long that he wore it in braids, as was narrated by Abu Dawood and al-Tirmidhi with a hasan isnaad from Umm Haani who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came to Makkah and he had four braids. This is to be understood as referring to times when he was so preoccupied that he could not take care of his hair for a long time, such as when travelling and the like.

End quote from Fath al-Baari, 10/360.

This is something that was acceptable and usual according to the customs of that time. Customs vary and Muslims may be living in a place where people do not do that, or they regard the one who does that as imitating immoral people, so it should not be done.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

There is nothing wrong with letting the hair grow long. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had hair that sometimes came down almost to his shoulders. Although in principle there is nothing wrong with it, nevertheless it is subject to tradition and custom. If custom dictates that this is not done except by a specific group that is traditionally known to be immoral, then those who are decent and of good character should not let their hair grow long, because it is customarily regarded by the people as something that is only done by those who are of low status and immoral. So the issue of whether men may grow their hair long is something that is permitted, but is subject to the customs and traditions of the people. If custom dictates that all people, noble and lowly alike, grow their hair long, there is nothing wrong with it; if it is done only by the lowest of people, then people of honour and status should not do it. No one should respond by saying that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) who was the noblest of people and the highest in status used to grow his hair long, because we can see that growing one's hair long is not a Sunnah or an act of worship, rather it is the matter of following customs and traditions.

Fataawa Noor ala Darb
What your husband says about the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) having four braids is correct, but that does not mean that this is a Sunnah for which a person will be rewarded, rather the customs of the people and what they are used to should be heeded. Customs are different now in most countries from what they were in the past.

Ibn Abd al-Barr (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Nowadays no one braids their hair except soldiers who have long hair; people of righteousness, modesty and knowledge have turned away from this custom, until that has become one of their distinguishing features. Nowadays long hair has virtually become the characteristic of the foolish. It was narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: Whoever imitates a people is one of them or will be gathered with them (on the Day of Resurrection). It was said that it means whoever imitates them in their actions, or whoever imitates them in their appearance. This should be sufficient for you. This hadeeth refers to following the example of the righteous in whatever they do. Growing one's hair or shaving it will not avail anything on the Day of Resurrection, rather what counts will be intentions and deeds; a man whose head is shaved may be better than one who has hair, or a man who has hair may be a righteous man.

Al-Tamheed, 6/80

Conclusion: we should follow custom and tradition with regard to that, so that the Muslim will not expose himself to people?s mockery and backbiting.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

mano_the_cat
07-07-2006, 09:56 PM
once i was talking to family friend(female) in a shopping mall, she praised my long hair (im female) and i told her that my intention are to let them grown till my thighs. she said that his father had told that women arent allowed to grown here more than the length that when they sit it comes under them ...it made me feel but i did not argue as i didnt know anything about it ...
anyone know what is correct or not. and what of cutting hair & threading of hair(eyebrows etc)??

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umm___
07-07-2006, 10:12 PM
:sl: ukhti filleh

Home > Jurisprudence and Islamic Rulings > Customs and traditions > Clothing, adornment and images > Adornments >

Question #9037: What is the hair that it is permissible to remove and the hair that it is not permissible to remove?

Question :

I know that plucking the eyebrows is haram and removing facial hair is also but that we can remove hair above the lip and in between the eyebrows. What about the hair that comes between the hair line and the eyebrows down to the eyebrow?.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

With regard to removing hair or not removing it, the scholars divide hair into three categories:

1 – Hair which we are commanded to remove or shorten. This is known as Sunan al-Fitrah, such as removing the pubic hairs, trimming the moustache and plucking the armpit hairs. That also includes shaving or cutting the hair of the head during Hajj or ‘Umrah.

The evidence for that is the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Ten (actions) are part of the fitrah [natural inclinations of man]: trimming the moustache, letting the beard grow, using the siwaak (tooth-stick), rinsing the nose with water, clipping the nails, washing the finger joints, plucking the armpit hairs, shaving the pubes and washing oneself with water after relieving oneself.”

Zakariyya said: Mus’ab said: And I forgot the tenth but it may have been rinsing the mouth with water.

Narrated by Muslim, 261

2 – Hair which we are forbidden to remove, which includes the eyebrows. The action of removing the hair of the eyebrows is called al-namas. It is also forbidden to remove the hair of the beard.

The evidence for that is the hadeeth of ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Allaah has cursed the woman who does tattoos and the one who has them done, the woman who plucks eyebrows (al-naamisah) and the one who has it done (al-mutanammisah), and the one who files her teeth for the purpose of beauty, altering the creation of Allaah.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5931; Muslim, 2125)

And it was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Be different from the mushrikeen: let your beards grow and trim your moustaches.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5892; Muslim, 259)

al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The naamisah is the woman who removes hair from the face and the mutanammisah is the one who asks to have that done. This action is haraam, unless a woman develops a beard or moustache, in which case it is not haraam to remove it, rather that is mustahabb in our view.

Sharh al-Nawawi li Saheeh Muslim, 14/106

3 – Hair concerning which the texts are silent and do not say whether it is to be removed or left as it is, such as hair on the legs, hands, cheeks or forehead.

There is some difference of scholarly opinion concerning this.

Some said that it is not permissible to remove it, because removing it implies changing the creation of Allaah, as Allaah tells us that the Shaytaan said:

“ ‘and indeed I will order them to change the nature created by Allaah’”[al-Nisa’ 4:119 – interpretation of the meaning]

Some said that this is one of the things concerning which nothing was said, so the ruling is that it is allowed. It is permissible to leave it or to remove it, because whatever is not mentioned in the Qur’aan or Sunnah is permissible.

This was the view favoured by the scholars of the Standing Committee and by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen. See Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, 3/879

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah:

(a) There is no sin on a woman if she removes hair on her upper lip, thighs, calves and arms. This is not part of the tanammus (plucking) that is forbidden.

(Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/194, 195)

(b) The Committee was asked:

What is the Islamic ruling on plucking the hair between the eyebrows?

They replied:

It is permissible to pluck it, because it is not part of the eyebrows.

(Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/197)

The Standing Committee was asked:

What is the ruling on a woman removing hair from her body?

They replied:

It is permissible for her to do that, apart from the hair of the eyebrows and head. It is not permissible for her to remove the hair of her head or to remove any part of the eyebrows, whether by shaving or any other means.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/194

We should comment on the questioner’s words “I know that plucking the eyebrows is haraam and removing facial hair is also.”

As for plucking the eyebrows, this is haraam and is a major sin, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed those who do it.
But as for removing facial hair, there is a difference of opinion among the scholars as to whether it is permissible to remove it. This is based on their various understandings of the word al-namas.

Some scholars said that al-namas means removing any facial hair, and they did not limit it to the eyebrows. Others were of the view that al-namas refers to removing the hair of the eyebrows only. This was the view favoured by the Standing Committee as is clear from the fatwas quoted above.

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah:

Al-namas means plucking the hair of the eyebrows, which is not permissible because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the woman who plucks eyebrows (al-naamisah) and the one who has it done (al-mutanammisah).

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/195

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

Umm___
07-07-2006, 10:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mano_the_cat
once i was talking to family friend(female) in a shopping mall, she praised my long hair (im female) and i told her that my intention are to let them grown till my thighs. she said that his father had told that women arent allowed to grown here more than the length that when they sit it comes under them ...it made me feel but i did not argue as i didnt know anything about it ...
anyone know what is correct or not. and what of cutting hair & threading of hair(eyebrows etc)??

:sl: ukhti, I found an article about cutting the hair, but I don't know if it isn't allowed to grow it more than the length that when she sits it comes under her..I hope someone else can answer that insha ALLAH.

Home > Jurisprudence and Islamic Rulings > Customs and traditions > Clothing, adornment and images > Adornments > Question #13744: Women cutting their hair and removing facial hair

Click here to get a printable version

Question :

I am doing a project on Muslim women and would like to know what is the ruling concerning a Muslim’s hair. Is she allowed to cut it as much as up to her shoulder or not/ what about facial hair? Is it harem to get rid of it or not. Please answer and pray my imam is strong.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

We ask Allaah Almighty to increase you in faith and to make you content with the truth.

Your question includes two issues:

1 – the ruling on cutting women’s hair. Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

We do not know anything (to disallow) cutting women’s hair. What is forbidden is shaving it. You should not shave your hair but you may cut it and reduce its length or volume; we know of nothing wrong with that. But that should be done in a proper manner which will please you and your husband. You should come to some agreement with him on a kind of haircut that does not resemble kaafir women, because if you leave it long, it will be a lot of trouble to wash it and comb it. So if the hair is very long or thick, and the woman cuts it to reduce its length or volume, that doesn’t matter. Cutting some of it will make it more beautiful, which will please both the woman and her husband. So we do not know of any reason to disallow that. But shaving it altogether is not permissible, except in the case of sickness. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

See Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, part 2, p. 515

It was narrated in Saheeh Muslim that Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said: “The wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to cut their hair until it came just below their ears.” (al-Hayd, 320)

Al-Nawawi said: this indicates that it is permissible for women to cut their hair short.

But women should avoid resembling kaafir women or immoral women when they cut their hair

Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan said:

It is not permissible for a woman to cut her hair short in the back and leave the sides longer, because this involves disfiguring and fooling about with her hair which is part of her beauty, and it also involves imitating the kaafir women. This prohibition also applies to haircuts which are named after kaafir women or animals, like the “Diana” cut, named after a kaafir women, or the “lion” cut or “mouse” cut, because it is haraam to imitate the kaafirs or to imitate animals, and because that involves fooling about with a woman’s hair which is part of her beauty.

:w::rose:

mano_the_cat
07-08-2006, 08:10 AM
thank you very much... it has helped alot. thanks.
hope someone might be able to tell about the length allowed for keeping long hair for female.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.